Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Harthwain

Magister
Nothing wrong. I just wish they added more mechanics as such (kind of like they did with Beasts and Exploration DLC), not only more events/items/enemies.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
XXXOdmR.png

So what DLC will push us into gunpowder age? Seeing another field full of ancient armored legionaries has me dreaming of a holy hand grenade or two.

Skeletons don't understand spatial awareness. This should be exploitable.

Well, looks like I'm gonna get my wish... kinda. But instead of a holy hand grenade, that incendiary device looks slightly unholy.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
there is no god but davkul and <the character you save scummed the events out for> is the prophet of davkul

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
To be honest I am not very thrilled about this.
I mean its not bad to get some more content but personally I am done with BB.
Especially that I don't see them adding anything that change game mechanics for the better.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Agree, new content for BB is nice and will probably entice me to start up another run, but we're going on three years since the original release. That's almost long enough to deliver a proper sequel with deeper mechanics, or even something really hype like a BB40K spin-off.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Three years would be enough for a proper sequel, but correct me if I'm wrong, Overhype's a three man team of hobbyists. They probably have to wagecuck Mon-Sat.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
like it outsold aod several times over + had DLCs

why would you think the creaters of this have to wageslave..............

Harthwain

Magister
Three years would be enough for a proper sequel, but correct me if I'm wrong, Overhype's a three man team of hobbyists. They probably have to wagecuck Mon-Sat.
They quit their day jobs to make BB full time at some point and it took them about 3 years (from 2014 to 2017):

The game has also been a financial success for us. As you may be aware, Battle Brothers was developed by a core team of just 3 people over the course of nearly 2 years in their spare time while also working day jobs. The recent success now allows us to quit our day jobs and start working fulltime on Battle Brothers. That’s right, we’re about to have a lot more time we can put into the game and should be able to make progress much faster than before!
Source

Right now they're most likely making DLCs to fund their next game. They mentioned it briefly in their Beasts and Exploration DLC announcement:

We’re also making good progress on our new game, and will continue to work on it in parallel
Source

They also said it was in prototype phase in Q3 2018:

34:03 susuwatarii: How is your new game going?
36:10 OverhypeStudios: @susuwatarii Slowed down during the DLC development of course but we already have a prototype. Can't really talk about it yet
Source

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
They make studio in Krautland instead of moving into civilized place like Islamic Republic of Londonistan or Ukraine.
So they pay germ taxes as they need fund this all anti European schemes and pay refuges to molest their women and ride their trucks.
No wonder they need to make more shekels.

Barbarian

Arcane
Alchemist background perhaps?

Quite curious about the new middle-eastern themed backgrounds, weapons and armor. They already have curved swords in the game.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Warrior of Allah background:
noble/combat

starting stat rolls:
avg resolve:
80(no ghost or witch can stand against the purity of the call of lailahaillallah)

avg mattack:
63(sword guided by God)

avg mdef/rdef:
-10(we welcome martyrdom)

avg fatigue:
90(diet consist of too many pastries)

background events:
theological debate with monk, historian or minstrel background
gives charity to beggar or cripple increasing morale for both of them
converts disowned noble, wildman and raider to the true faith giving them +5 resolve permanently
beheads every cultist, graverobber and gambler causing a resolve boost for himself but morale hit for lowborn backgrounds
converts melon fucker and pimp to eunuch

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

The arms, armours and clothing here looks like 16th century Ottoman type. Why didn't they use medieval Arab armour and clothing?

I actually thought this being one game that uses period appropriate and influenced arms and armour for an European fantasy, they might have been one game to actually use proper medieval middle-eastern arms and armour as well, not be like every other game and setting that uses 16th century Ottoman ones. I hope they'll at least display the actual diversity of arms and armour of medieval middle-east, instead of giving everyone scimitars which in itself wasn't something common in medieval middle-east.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

The arms, armours and clothing here looks like 16th century Ottoman type. Why didn't they use medieval Arab armour and clothing?

I actually thought this being one game that uses period appropriate and influenced arms and armour for an European fantasy, they might have been one game to actually use proper medieval middle-eastern arms and armour as well, not be like every other game and setting that uses 16th century Ottoman ones. I hope they'll at least display the actual diversity of arms and armour of medieval middle-east, instead of giving everyone scimitars which in itself wasn't something common in medieval middle-east.
First clear evidence of that kind of plate+mail armour is from half of 15th century Persian sources, plus other much earlier references (although no 100% sure). It's not something distinctively Ottoman (apart from Middle East, it had quite some success also in the Indo-Persian area). And quite a lot of the armour already in the game is of the15th century type, so it's perfectly in line with the rest.

FreeKaner

First clear evidence of that kind of plate+mail armour is from half of 15th century Persian sources, plus other much earlier references (although no 100% sure). It's not something distinctively Ottoman (apart from Middle East, it had quite some success also in the Indo-Persian area). And quite a lot of the armour already in the game is of the15th century type, so it's perfectly in line with the rest.

Plated-mail itself is at earliest in second half 15th century which I think is already very late for rest of what is used in this game since the armour in the game is not 15th century at all but 12-14th century. European 15th century armour would be full plate armour which I didn't see in this game. Moreover the one he is wearing is a distinctively disc plate which doesn't exist before 16th century in that form and except in Ottoman Empire, various other forms of disc plate also exists in 16th century in Russia, Persia and India. It's a type of armour made in compromise design with appearance of gunpowder weapons in the field, comparable to European breastplates. The type of vest he is wearing is also Ottoman in appearance and so is his sword.

In fact, I would be willing to bet the artist used one of these pictures as the reference, which is late 16th century Ottoman:

Regardless, I think the theme and general aesthetic of this game is clearly and distinctly high medieval with influences from fantasy and history before with very obviously pre-gunpowder era arms and armour. So including post-gunpowder type of arms and armour breaks the coherence. It is like including 12th century crusader in mail and bucket helm side by side with a tercio pikeman in breastplate and morion helmet, very anachronistic and nonsensical, as former was meant to protect against cutting weapons and latter was made with firearms in mind.

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
After Blazing Deserts a new DLC will be released, called Rising Sun. It will introduce Samurai, Ninja, fighting monks and Drunk Kung Fu.

Roadmap:

- Rising Sun
- Deep Jungles
- Lost Empire
- Wild Tribes (introducing mounts)
- Land of Rain & Fog
- Islands
- Battle Sisters
- Battle Brothers II (now with multiplayer) exclusive EPIC Games

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
"Historical coherence" was thrown out the window already the minute they introduced zweihanders and other landsknecht inspired equipment.

Nobody gives a shit. It is not a historical game.

Harthwain

Magister
European 15th century armour would be full plate armour which I didn't see in this game.
There is a reason for that:

Coffe wrote:
Would you guys ever consider adding in a late medieval DLC featuring full plate armor, more lethal weaponry, and maybe even horses? (Goblins got them wolfriders ;))

Never say never, but I don’t think so. We are expanding the Battle Brothers universe in different directions, but we try stay within certain boundaries. One boundary is the (very rough) visual time frame and the restriction to infantry combat.
The reason against too much late medieval period gear is to maintain a consistent look throughout the game. The reason against horses is actually only gameplay related. We explained on several occasions how horses would break the basic way the tactical combat works. Wolfriders are an exception as they move very differently to horses and are more of a “fantasy style enemy” compared to the more realistic human fighters.

Cheers!
Source

There is more stuff discussed in the linked thread.

FreeKaner

The two guys above disagree, it is time to add Napoleonic uniforms as armour as visual coherence doesn't matter.

Besides, as the posters above clearly lack the understanding to grasp the matter at hand, this is not about what is historical, as it is true this is not a historical game. This is about theme. If you are making a DLC that tries to base itself on real life medieval middle-east, then it would make sense to make them wear medieval middle-eastern arms and armour to stick to that particular cultural and aesthetic milieu. Secondly this is about having a coherent style, weapons and armour serve a function based on what they would encounter in the battlefield, if your game has weapons and armour from a period where there would be firearms in battlefield they were then obviously designed with that in mind, if you don't have firearms in the game then it becomes nonsensical. It's like having people in WW2 uniforms fighting with medieval swords, side by side with other people that are in otherwise in period and function accurate medieval arms and armour. This turns the game into a disneyland ninjas vs. pirates type of clusterfuck with no coherence.

Of course, since it is not a historical game this shouldn't matter and we might as well add British redcoats and Roman legionnaires while we are at it, in fact why stop there we might even add samurai robots too. Why care about aesthetic and logical coherence? Turn everything into a theme park where you have all the archetypes and stereotypes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom