Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone tried "Other Dust"?

Tommy Gun

Arcane
OtherDustCover.jpg

This game looks interesting to me, has anyone played it or know about it?

Link to it on DrivethruRPG https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/103502/Other-Dust

I'd like to know about Character Advancement, are there perks, or do you get new abilities?

Any other Post Apoc, not crunchy systems to recommend?

nikolokolus

Arcane
It's supposedly compatible with Stars Without Number, so that means it's vaguely based on B/X D&D mechanics with a strong dash of Traveler thrown in (thematically). Download the free version of SWN and read it for yourself. Personally I think it's a pretty slick sci-fi system and like all Kevin Crawford books, it probably has some of the best sandbox creation tools on the market.

Beyond that, I don't have a lot of post-apoc gaming experience. I have friends that speak highly of Eclipse Phase though.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Note: Other Dust is based on the original version of SWN, not the revised one. There are some mechanical differences; the former has descending AC and a longer skill list, for example.

Re: other games, I've read good things about (the older editions of) Gamma World but I haven't played it myself.

Silva

Arcane
Never played myself, but only heard good things about Other Dust. Tell us more if you end up playing it.

Other post-apoc games I know:

- Apocalypse World is my favorite game ever but it's very divisive both in tone and mechanically, so you'll love it or hate it.

- Legacy: Life Among the Ruins is a more conventional, optimistic "rebuilding society" take using the same engine as Apocalypse World.

- Mutant: Year Zero is the more traditional one and is pretty good too. It's got a Sid Meier Civilization-type management and building system that's pretty neat.

Tommy Gun

Arcane
Thanks for the input people, I'm going to have a look at the recommendations, but from reading a bit online I think Other Dust is the one I'll get.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Other Dust is solid if you like OSR post-apoc, but I don't like OSR post-apoc (I prefer something classless like Savage Worlds or GURPS). Atomic Highway was my go-to for a while, but as the campaign stretched on, more problems started to manifest.

If I were you though OP, I'd wait for PunkApocalyptic. It's based off the Shadow of the Demon Lord system which is really fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom