Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Funposter

Arcane
Anything else I should be aware of?

Since TR uses vanilla meshes, mesh replacement mods that change the overall shape of objects do not play well with it. Examples are some of Vurt's trees (they will be floating) and Apel's Seyda Neen Lighthouse replacer.

Whoever quoted this with "Fake News", go install Vurt's Grazeland trees and walk from Firewatch to Helnim.

RoksCQ

Novice
screenshot55o7jry.png

Bums shitting on the streets for millions of dollars just to buy ebony suits and assault you. I left him extra tip this time. Still wondering how that 15 luck necklace constant enchant turned him T-1000 not too hard.

RoksCQ

Novice
I came extremely late to the Elder Scrolls series so i'm just finishing up my first Morrowind playthrough. I only beat (heavily modded) Skyrim just this year. Still have to do the expansions and finish the main quest but i'm getting there. This is my character so far. No gameplay changing mods, just graphics ones.

Observations: a high hand to hand skill is extremely valuable, especially in the early game for fast speed pumping, but battles take longer than necessary. Supplemented with magic, however, it makes most things a breeze. With 200 HtH skill, it only takes a couple punches to drop anything to the ground in stun mode. Keeping multiple opponents immobile is very easy with this build.

Without having a high speed, Morrowind would have been a real slog. I can't imagine trying to play a low speed, heavy armor character. Hiking sim indeed. I never did find the Boots of Blinding Speed, and on principle I will look up nothing.

Getting merchants to have enough gold was an issue, so I invested heavily in scrolls for value storage with low carry weight. I ended up with a truly ridiculous amount of scrolls. Now I want to make a completely non magical character, taking advantage of scrolls to get by.

Only additional mod I'd use... "mod" is just the text inject that changes strength to give 2x or 5x more weight per stat. Why? Because the fucking books in this game are over 4 pounds each god damn! I've seen them up to 20 weight.
I carry the books around, they are usually what i collect in the game after all. I usually download the whole ES library mod to add extra reading material too -- nothing like immersion after stacking Lore items in whatever your villa is...

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Managed to bust into the Redoran vaults with no witnesses. Thanks to Creeper I now have 90k septims. What should I do with it?

Molina

Savant
Managed to bust into the Redoran vaults with no witnesses. Thanks to Creeper I now have 90k septims. What should I do with it?
The only gold sinks in Morrowind are enchantment and training. If you have Morrowind Rebirth, you could buy a house.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Learn summon golden saint, enchant an item to summon golden saint. Get a bunch of grand soul gems, summon golden saints, soultrap and kill them to farm their souls. Use the souls and your newfound wealth to enchant a set of exquisite clothes and jewelry with constant effect bound weapons and armor. When they get worn out, unequip and re-equip them to summon bound equipment anew. You now have a limitless supply of decent equipment that is virtually weightless and will last you forever.

DraQ

Arcane
Learn summon golden saint, enchant an item to summon golden saint. Get a bunch of grand soul gems, summon golden saints, soultrap and kill them to farm their souls. Use the souls and your newfound wealth to enchant a set of exquisite clothes and jewelry with constant effect bound weapons and armor. When they get worn out, unequip and re-equip them to summon bound equipment anew. You now have a limitless supply of decent equipment that is virtually weightless and will last you forever.
That's p. shitty TBH:
  • You need to have pretty good magicka and conjuration skill to even be able to cast summon GS.
  • The approach relies on grind followed by more grind followed by camping around merchants (you can't enchant via barter, so you need to make as much money first even if you can recoup the investment by selling soul gems).
  • The approach relies on metagaming (there is only one person selling the Summon Golden Saint spell).
  • Permabound equipment is glitchy and prone to duplication if you mistakenly repair it - I wouldn't bet on your game's stability if you use it.
Instead you can do what follows:
  • Pick enchanting and 1-2 weapon skills (at least one for which chitin weapons exist, so not long blade), preferably mysticism too.
  • Obtain 1x chitin weapon you are proficient with (because it's light and cheap - other materials will work but are heavier and more expensive).
  • Obtain some soulgems of any quality you can find.
  • Buy soultrap spell, and bound weapon spell for one of your weapon skills.
  • Soultrap and kill whatever aggresive wildlife you encounter.
  • Enchant (by yourself, should be doable even by starting character) your chitin weapon with bound weapon on self on strike.
Congratulations! You now have near weightless equivalent of a daedric weapon with additional skill bonus as soon as you land first blow.
It degrades and discharges very slowly, costs peanuts to fix and didn't really cost you extra time, money or cheese to make, just two cheap spells, cheap-ass chitin weapon (likely found) a dead rat or two and a bunch of cheap soulgems (also likely found).
You are likely to have everything you need by the time you get to Balmora for the first time without really taking detours.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
You don't need to hack enchanting to be a walking god.
Just manage your leveling right. You'll be one-shotting Daedra in no time.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013

Breh I was just answering the guy who had 90k from looting Redoran vault and asked for suggestions on how to spend it. Also no need to be able to cast summon GS, you just learn the spell and pay to have an item enchanted with it. It's a bit of metagaming memery, but since he's been grinding Creeper I assume he has no problem with that.

Poseidon00

Arcane

I just wait until I either have a scroll or go to one of the shrines to find one. I don't always or often have conjuration.

But yeah farming constant effect enchantments is a great way to gain superpowers quickly.

Sometimes it's fun to just have the powers of a living god.

Funposter

Arcane
Might be old news, but after messing around with some armour/weapon balance overhauls that also affected pricing, I've well and truly settled on the best way to fix the game's economy and that is Harder Barter. I think it's the best example of why MWSE-lua is so important, and why OpenMW is still way behind in terms of meeting what can be done with the original engine.

Rather than changing item values, character skills, bloated MWscript or GMST changes, Harder Barter is able to overhaul the economy with very lightweight scripting and in a way that maximises compatibility (and the ability for players to easily modify), much like other lua mods. Common (cheap) items have their sale worth changed only a small amount, compared to artifacts and Daedric gear which could previously buy out an entire town's worth of stock. Rarer weapons such as ebony and glass are still enough to probably wipe out a merchant's budget for a single day, but you won't be exchanging enormous amounts of stock with them. The benefits are numerous:

1. Low tier merchants continue to be useful. Even without using Creeper or Mudcrab in the vanilla game, you were still able to very easily crash the economy using easy-to-access merchants with more than 2,000 gold such as Wayn, Nalcyra, Sirollus Saccus and Lorbumol gro-Aglakh. It required some buying-back, switching around of stock and a lot of waiting, and wasn't nearly as efficient as using the creature merchants, but they were all easy to reach using silt strider/guild guide/intervention. Now, to require more than one merchant's worth of gold, you need to be selling high tier gear and a lot of it.

2. Training is now appropriately expensive, as the pool of gold has dried up significantly. In my current playthrough I am Level 10, and have never passed more than 4,000 gold (although I have bought a few expensive spells). Normally by this point I would have around ten times that much, and would be approaching the point in the game where there's no good reason NOT to powerlevel since there's nothing else to do with one's gold. With this mod, I'd struggle to pay for a single level's worth of levelling, let alone several.

3. As above, but apply it to enchanting. The game's other money sink is now hideously expensive, which also arguably makes certain previously below-par artifacts more useful. Any constant effect enchantment is pretty valuable at this point.

4. Mercantile is now a more valuable to invest in, since the player isn't drowning in gold.

I did a little bit of testing selling some stuff on my current character with a Mercantile of 9 - a Glass Jinkblade worth 6,500 gold sold for 501, just under 1/13th. A Daedric Dagger worth 10,000 gold went for 734, about 2/27th. The Ice Blade of the Monarch which is worth 95,000 gold went for 5605, which is about 1/17th. The Lord's Mail went for 10571 gold, 1/18th of its base price of 190,000 gold. Some testing with higher Mercantile came up with these results: 50 Mercantile got the Ice Blade selling at 1/14th and the Lord's Mail at 1/15th. 100 Mercantile made it 1/12th for the Ice Blade and 2/25 for the Lord's Mail. Cheap items under 100 gold were going for around 1/5-1/7 their base price with crappy Mercantile btw.

One final note: it actually now makes sense to sell your artifacts to the museum in Tribunal since you'll be getting around double to triple what regular merchants will pay.

/autistic rambling over

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Any thoughts on these mods?
- 4NM_PERKS -- Adds passive and active perks for all skills and class bonuses.
- Morrrowind Releveled -- this mod aims to address issues by releveling the world to prevent the changes in the creatures you encounter as you level from being so obvious, while allowing you a chance to encounter even the hardest creatures at low level if you hunt for them. You will never encounter a daedra in Seyda Neen or any other creature that would be out of place there. This mod does not change the locations you can encounter creatures, only the level you encounter them.

I followed the Nexus guide for graphic mods, I mostly installed the easy to install stuff, anything that needed extra steps or gave error I uninstalled or didn't bother, didn't want to spend too much time on this.
#Mod_Priority,#Mod_Name

"0000","Unmanaged: XE Sky Variations"

"0001","Unmanaged: Siege at Firemoth"

"0002","Unmanaged: master_index"

"0003","Unmanaged: LeFemmArmor"

"0004","Unmanaged: entertainers"

"0005","Unmanaged: EBQ_Artifact"

"0006","Unmanaged: bcsounds"

"0007","Unmanaged: AreaEffectArrows"

"0008","Unmanaged: adamantiumarmor"

"0009","DLC: Tribunal"

"0010","DLC: Bloodmoon"

"0011","Morrowind Optimization Patch"

"0012","Animation Compilation"

"0013","Patch for Purists"

"0014","Morrowind Enhanced Overhaul"

"0015","Epic Plants"

"0016","Remiros' Ascadian Isles Trees 2"

"0017","Vanilla-friendly West Gash Tree Replacer"

"0018","Mines and Caverns"

"0019","The Publicans"

"0020","Half11's Misc Mods"

"0021","Yet Another Guard Diversity"

"0022","Caldera Mine Expanded"

"0023","Diverse Blood"

"0024","A Strange Plant"

"0025","Seven Graces Shrines Enhanced"

"0026","Djangos Dialogue 1.4"

"0027","Glow in the Dahrk"

"0028","Idle Talk"

"0029","Aesthesia - Hlaalu textures"

"0030","Apel's Lighthouse Retexture"

"0031","Imperial Houses and Forts Retexture - Ordo Arkitektora"

"0032","Bump-mapped AOFs Imperial Housing with optional Vanilla-Friendly Retexture"

"0033","Shacks Docks and Ships - Arkitektora of Vvardenfell"

"0034","Telvanni Bump Maps"

"0035","Velothi Retexture"

"0036","Aesthesia - Stronghold textures"

"0037","Redoran - Arkitektora of Vvardenfell"

"0038","Alternate Redoran Hut Textures for Arkitektora of Vvardenfell"

"0039","Full Dwemer Retexture"

"0040","Ashlanders textures"

"0041","Articus Mournhold 2K Retexture"

"0042","Articus Old Mournhold and Sewers Retexture 2K"

"0043","Articus Clockwork City of Sotha Sil 2K Retexture"

"0044","Lazys Grand Solstheim"

"0045","Raven Rock HD"

"0046","Guar Skin Banners for OpenMW and Vanilla Morrowind"

"0047","Daedric Intervention"

"0048","HD Clutter"

"0049","Septim Gold and Dwemer Dumacs"

"0050","Long Live The Limeware - Retexture"

"0051","Long Live The Plates - Retexture"

"0052","Ket's Potions and Beverages Retexture"

"0053","Ket's Swirlwood Furniture retexture"

"0054","Ket's Paper Lanterns Retexture"

"0055","HQ Bug Shells"

"0056","Better Crates"

"0057","Skiff Boat Texture Replacer"

"0058","FM - Unique Items Compilation"

"0059","Pherim's Fire Fern - Plant and Ingredient"

"0060","Hackle-lo Fixed"

"0061","Comberry Bush and Ingredient Replacer"

"0062","Scum Retexture"

"0063","Scummy Scum"

"0064","Lily Pad Replacer"

"0065","Apel's Asura Coast and Sheogorath Region Retexture"

"0066","Apel's Rain Replacer"

"0067","Vurts Solstheim Tree Replacer II"

"0068","Vurts Solstheim Tree Replacer II Fix"

"0069","Robert's bodies"

"0070","Soulgem Replacer"

"0071","Westly"

"0072","Vanilla Land"

"0073","Dunmer Lanterns Replacer"

"0074","Improved Argonians"

"0075","Mort's Ultimate Leveling Experience"

"0076","mwse Alchemy Filter"

"0077","mwse Containers"

"0078","QuickLoot"

"0079","Graphic Herbalism - MWSE and OpenMW Edition"

"0080","Quick Loadouts"

"0081","GreetDistanceReducer"

"0082","UI Expansion"

"0083","Book Pickup"

"0084","GMST Menu"

"0085","Descriptive Shrines"

"0086","Dahrk's Super-Sized Storage (D'sSSS)"

"0087","Continue"

"0088","Consignment Chests Expanded"

"0089","Companion Health Bars MWSE Lua Script"

"0090","Higher Faction Requirements"

"0091","Item Weight Adjustments"

"0092","Spriggan Bump mapped"

"0093","Netch Bump mapped"

"0094","Correct UV Mudcrabs"

"0095","Guars replacer - Aendemika of Vvardenfell"

"0096","Kagouti replacer - Aendemika of Vvardenfell"

"0097","Alit replacer - Aendemika of Vvardenfell"

"0098","Bear Armor Replacer"

"0099","Royalguard better armor"

"0100","Dwemer Armoury textured and updated"

"0101","More Realisitc Dwemer Armor"

"0102","Armors Retexture - Outlander Styles"

"0103","Daedric Lord Armor Morrowind Edition"

"0104","Cliffracer Replacer"

"0105","Nix-Hound Replacer"

"0106","Clannfear Replacer"

"0107","Morrowind Graphics Guide Shaders"

"0108","Orcish Retexture v1.2"

"0109","AntiWitcher"

"0110","Poison Crafting"

"0111","Hide the Sugar Hide the Skooma"

"0112","Security Enhanced"

"0113","Skill-based Trap Detection"

"0114","Morrowind Anti-Cheese"

"0115","Summon Creeper (MWSE)"

Funposter

Arcane
Any thoughts on these mods?
- 4NM_PERKS -- Adds passive and active perks for all skills and class bonuses.
I had a look at this one and was a little curious, but ended up leaving it alone based on the author's other mods. It seems like they're all meant to be installed as part of a package. The documentation is lacking and generally speaking, I don't think Morrowind is a game where you need to be going out of your way to receive more bonsuses, which is all the perks appear to be. If I've learned anything from recent Bethesda games, it's that perks which do nothing but provide bonuses are really uninteresting - you want them to be conditional somehow, to help you forge a playstyle. New Vegas was good at this, and if you ever played Skyrim with the Ordinator perk overhaul installed, that was a good example too.

- Morrrowind Releveled -- this mod aims to address issues by releveling the world to prevent the changes in the creatures you encounter as you level from being so obvious, while allowing you a chance to encounter even the hardest creatures at low level if you hunt for them. You will never encounter a daedra in Seyda Neen or any other creature that would be out of place there. This mod does not change the locations you can encounter creatures, only the level you encounter them.
Don't see the point tbqh. Morrowind is already pretty static in terms of which enemies appear, as the player can already find any enemy in the game from the very start if they know where to look. I guess it couldn't hurt.

I followed the Nexus guide for graphic mods, I mostly installed the easy to install stuff, anything that needed extra steps or gave error I uninstalled or didn't bother, didn't want to spend too much time on this.
#Mod_Priority,#Mod_Name

"0000","Unmanaged: XE Sky Variations"

"0001","Unmanaged: Siege at Firemoth"

"0002","Unmanaged: master_index"

"0003","Unmanaged: LeFemmArmor"

"0004","Unmanaged: entertainers"

"0005","Unmanaged: EBQ_Artifact"

"0006","Unmanaged: bcsounds"

"0007","Unmanaged: AreaEffectArrows"

"0008","Unmanaged: adamantiumarmor"

"0009","DLC: Tribunal"

"0010","DLC: Bloodmoon"

"0011","Morrowind Optimization Patch"

"0012","Animation Compilation"

"0013","Patch for Purists"

"0014","Morrowind Enhanced Overhaul"

"0015","Epic Plants"

"0016","Remiros' Ascadian Isles Trees 2"

"0017","Vanilla-friendly West Gash Tree Replacer"

"0018","Mines and Caverns"

"0019","The Publicans"

"0020","Half11's Misc Mods"

"0021","Yet Another Guard Diversity"

"0022","Caldera Mine Expanded"

"0023","Diverse Blood"

"0024","A Strange Plant"

"0025","Seven Graces Shrines Enhanced"

"0026","Djangos Dialogue 1.4"

"0027","Glow in the Dahrk"

"0028","Idle Talk"

"0029","Aesthesia - Hlaalu textures"

"0030","Apel's Lighthouse Retexture"

"0031","Imperial Houses and Forts Retexture - Ordo Arkitektora"

"0032","Bump-mapped AOFs Imperial Housing with optional Vanilla-Friendly Retexture"

"0033","Shacks Docks and Ships - Arkitektora of Vvardenfell"

"0034","Telvanni Bump Maps"

"0035","Velothi Retexture"

"0036","Aesthesia - Stronghold textures"

"0037","Redoran - Arkitektora of Vvardenfell"

"0038","Alternate Redoran Hut Textures for Arkitektora of Vvardenfell"

"0039","Full Dwemer Retexture"

"0040","Ashlanders textures"

"0041","Articus Mournhold 2K Retexture"

"0042","Articus Old Mournhold and Sewers Retexture 2K"

"0043","Articus Clockwork City of Sotha Sil 2K Retexture"

"0044","Lazys Grand Solstheim"

"0045","Raven Rock HD"

"0046","Guar Skin Banners for OpenMW and Vanilla Morrowind"

"0047","Daedric Intervention"

"0048","HD Clutter"

"0049","Septim Gold and Dwemer Dumacs"

"0050","Long Live The Limeware - Retexture"

"0051","Long Live The Plates - Retexture"

"0052","Ket's Potions and Beverages Retexture"

"0053","Ket's Swirlwood Furniture retexture"

"0054","Ket's Paper Lanterns Retexture"

"0055","HQ Bug Shells"

"0056","Better Crates"

"0057","Skiff Boat Texture Replacer"

"0058","FM - Unique Items Compilation"

"0059","Pherim's Fire Fern - Plant and Ingredient"

"0060","Hackle-lo Fixed"

"0061","Comberry Bush and Ingredient Replacer"

"0062","Scum Retexture"

"0063","Scummy Scum"

"0064","Lily Pad Replacer"

"0065","Apel's Asura Coast and Sheogorath Region Retexture"

"0066","Apel's Rain Replacer"

"0067","Vurts Solstheim Tree Replacer II"

"0068","Vurts Solstheim Tree Replacer II Fix"

"0069","Robert's bodies"

"0070","Soulgem Replacer"

"0071","Westly"

"0072","Vanilla Land"

"0073","Dunmer Lanterns Replacer"

"0074","Improved Argonians"

"0075","Mort's Ultimate Leveling Experience"

"0076","mwse Alchemy Filter"

"0077","mwse Containers"

"0078","QuickLoot"

"0079","Graphic Herbalism - MWSE and OpenMW Edition"

"0080","Quick Loadouts"

"0081","GreetDistanceReducer"

"0082","UI Expansion"

"0083","Book Pickup"

"0084","GMST Menu"

"0085","Descriptive Shrines"

"0086","Dahrk's Super-Sized Storage (D'sSSS)"

"0087","Continue"

"0088","Consignment Chests Expanded"

"0089","Companion Health Bars MWSE Lua Script"

"0090","Higher Faction Requirements"

"0091","Item Weight Adjustments"

"0092","Spriggan Bump mapped"

"0093","Netch Bump mapped"

"0094","Correct UV Mudcrabs"

"0095","Guars replacer - Aendemika of Vvardenfell"

"0096","Kagouti replacer - Aendemika of Vvardenfell"

"0097","Alit replacer - Aendemika of Vvardenfell"

"0098","Bear Armor Replacer"

"0099","Royalguard better armor"

"0100","Dwemer Armoury textured and updated"

"0101","More Realisitc Dwemer Armor"

"0102","Armors Retexture - Outlander Styles"

"0103","Daedric Lord Armor Morrowind Edition"

"0104","Cliffracer Replacer"

"0105","Nix-Hound Replacer"

"0106","Clannfear Replacer"

"0107","Morrowind Graphics Guide Shaders"

"0108","Orcish Retexture v1.2"

"0109","AntiWitcher"

"0110","Poison Crafting"

"0111","Hide the Sugar Hide the Skooma"

"0112","Security Enhanced"

"0113","Skill-based Trap Detection"

"0114","Morrowind Anti-Cheese"

"0115","Summon Creeper (MWSE)"
That Nirnroot mod reintroduces the infamous "Who's there?" bug so I'd ditch it. Other than that, there are some thing from the Graphics Guide that could do with replacing or outright throwing away. The Royal Guard armour replacers are all dreadful, Thickle-Lo is a better Hackle-Lo replacer than Pherim's, the Dwemer armour probably doesn't need to be retextured, and I'd absolutely recommend that Morrowind Enhanced Textures be replaced by Remiro's Intelligent Textures which have been AI-upscaled and then hand painted to maintain quality and consistency. It also includes textures for Project Atlas which is the best way to improve performance in the vanilla game. Most of Tyddy's replacers have Atlas textures available too, although you'll need to make your own for the Imperial/Nord Common tileset which will also include resizing a couple of textures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom