Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best structure for an RPG?

Which one's the best?

• Total voters

jungl

Augur
Fallout 2 I liked how you can completely miss out on and it'll be somewhat different experience if you ignore Modoc. Kind of like post apocolyptic mutant super hero story I had. When your guy loses his super man theme powers you can eventually go back to your city and see all the citizens treat you like scum and resolve events there differently or you ignore it and events will unfold differently if you come later in the game there.

Farewell into the night

The best structure is PnP. It's endless, indomitable, unlimited.
cRPGs are flawed, but any type can be fun. If it's well made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beastro

Arcane
2. One step above is the fake choice structure. Some modern games love to do this: give the player the illusion of choice without actually making the choice matter in any way.
kKYP5va.png

You get a choice, but the quests you follow are still the same, there's literally no gameplay difference. The only thing that's different is that instead of a willing hero, you're a reluctant hero.

There's worse versions of this, like the JRPG choice that doesn't even pretend to have the illusion.

"Oh! Will you stop everything you're doing and help me please? Some bad people are harassing me... so will you help? No? Haha! You're so funny, of course you'll help! So, they hang out in this part town...." *No further progression in main quest and you're locked in the town until this is completed*

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Give me linear goals but let me accomplish them through different means.
To me a good story in an RPG is extremely important, and linearity is key. To skip most of Fallout with metagame knowledge will not be as good as playing through the game as it was more or less intended by the developers. But that doesn't mean we can't have choice when it comes to the way to accomplish those goals.

IMO finding the Water Chip in Fallout is the best part of the game. You leave the world with a clue (go to Vault 15) and from then on it is completely up to you to find the chip, which encompasses about 75% of the game.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
The problem with linearity is that it can kill a playthrough, especially in longer games. If you HAVE TO do a specific part, and you do not feel like doing it currently, you will either have to show great determination or abandon the playthrough.

In nonlinear games you just choose one of the many available options that you feel like doing, and you go on.

Quillon

Arcane
Give me linear goals but let me accomplish them through different means.
To me a good story in an RPG is extremely important, and linearity is key. To skip most of Fallout with metagame knowledge will not be as good as playing through the game as it was more or less intended by the developers. But that doesn't mean we can't have choice when it comes to the way to accomplish those goals.

IMO finding the Water Chip in Fallout is the best part of the game. You leave the world with a clue (go to Vault 15) and from then on it is completely up to you to find the chip, which encompasses about 75% of the game.

Dafuq linear goals mean? Linearity describes the progression in a game. You are describing "goal based structure" itt and it isn't necessarily linear.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Any other "good examples" of this? Cause AoD is the only one that comes to mind, which tells me it's not a popular scheme, if we can only recall one RPG doing it or pulling it off successfully.
Theseus: Journey to Athens is clearly modeled after AoD (very light on its rpg qualities tho). I inclinedly recommend it.

I believe PtD could be considered to be of the third rather than the fourth kind as well, and it's and excellent game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The best examples of goal-based are Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2 (inarguable) whereas the best examples of linear-based are Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 (also inarguable).

Linear-based is underrated by edgy 'Dexers and freedomfags, who think they are more monocled than others because they can make non-combat decisions (such as where to go). But at the end of the day, the most monocled decisions to be made in RPGs are purely combat-based: what is my party composition, how should I build my combat units and how can I most optimally slay the enemy with the resources I have available to me.

Ergo, it's not the structure-type that matters: it's the ruleset, the tactics/strategy employable, the itemization and the combat encounter design that does.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The best examples of goal-based are Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2 (inarguable) whereas the best examples of linear-based are Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 (also inarguable).

Linear-based is underrated by edgy 'Dexers and freedomfags, who think they are more monocled than others because they can make non-combat decisions (such as where to go). But at the end of the day, the most monocled decisions to be made in RPGs are purely combat-based: what is my party composition, how should I build my combat units and how can I most optimally slay the enemy with the resources I have available to me.

Ergo, it's not the structure-type that matters: it's the ruleset, the tactics/strategy employable, the itemization and the combat encounter design that does.

Iggied (inarguable).

barghwata

Savant

Iggied (inarguable).

I don't recommend ignoring Lilura, you'll be missing out on some high quality autism my friend (inarguable).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
+1 Fake choice structure

The structured and well told story of the linear approach, complete with neatly scripted set pieces, cutscenes, plot, etc, but without the feeling of playing a visual novel. It could be possible to play in any order, or skip parts, like Dragon Age Origins and the way you gather allies there.
I don't like too much freedom, because I don't trust the designers to account for all possibilities, and the end result is nonsensical outcomes (like achieving a goal before I even knew I have that goal, because I entered an area out of order) and doesn't permit for well scripted set pieces or plot.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
A (mostly) linear sequence of subgoals where you have multiple paths to solve each goal.

Choice in major goals is a waste of resources and is likely detrimental to the story imo.

barghwata

Savant
And the end result is nonsensical outcomes (like achieving a goal before I even knew I have that goal, because I entered an area out of order) and doesn't permit for well scripted set pieces or plot.

I understand this is your opinion and i will respect it, but i have to ask how in the world is that a bad thing??? Allowing the player to achieve goals and finish quests without even having to recieve them in the first place or know about them makes for excellent and rewarding exploration and allows the player to set out their own goals instead of waiting for the game to give them one.

An example of this is how in Gothic, you can accidentally finish a quest or fulfill an objective while exploring the world and recieve experience for it, and once you eventually meet the NPC that was supposed to give you the quest you can say "oh yea, i already did that actually" and you recieve your reward for it; this is why exploration in Gothic is so good, it's because the player is motivated to explore the world on their own and play the game on their own terms, and the game will reward you for that ..... to each their own i guess.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Dafuq linear goals mean? Linearity describes the progression in a game. You are describing "goal based structure" itt and it isn't necessarily linear.

I would say The Witcher is somewhat like this. You've got your goals per chapter, but you can do as you please when it comes to those goals. What faction do you join, how do you choose to solve a particular quest, etc. I really like that system because it makes my choices matter for each particular goal without sacrficing the overall story structure.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any other "good examples" of this? Cause AoD is the only one that comes to mind, which tells me it's not a popular scheme, if we can only recall one RPG doing it or pulling it off successfully.
Theseus: Journey to Athens is clearly modeled after AoD (very light on its rpg qualities tho). I inclinedly recommend it.

I believe PtD could be considered to be of the third rather than the fourth kind as well, and it's and excellent game.

I just wish PtD wasn't so fucking crash-prone. :negative:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
There is some great examples of Goal based cRPg, like Dark Sun and Fallout which are blessed with an amazing quest design, being both interesting and with multiple solutions.

Adding branching on top of that could be a great idea, specially if you have a lot of playable races and classes to spice up the re-playability.

I have a lot of ideas about that, would probably take me 30 millions € or a lifetime to put them into practice.

turkishronin

Arcane
3. Now we get to proper branches. A branching structure gives the player actual choices, and depending on what he chooses, the story will change, and different quests will become available while others become unavailable.
dBZipm9.png

It's a pretty solid structure. Depending on the amount of branches this can get pretty complex, and if you have a lot of branches in your game it's going to be hard work as a dev to keep all the different outcomes in mind. A game with a lot of branches, especially if you can hop between them, can be a lot of work to produce, but will offer a lot of replay value to the player. A good example is Age of Decadence.

Way of the Samurai 4

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know what, at least fake choice allows an expression of self. I was never particularly bothered by RPGs who offered me like 6 different ways to answer something but they would all (or most) end up with the same (or slightly altered) response. Its still roleplaying a character/personality.

Last edited:

Peachcurl

Cipher
Ideally, I'd like a goal based structure. It's just near impossible to combine with good story telling. I'd say it works best in sandbox games, where you pretty much end up writing your own story.

So, yeah, when I want to follow a story, give me some real, branching choices.

Peachcurl

Cipher
One word ...... Fallout.

Yes, I probably should have said after reading some of the posts here: I'd consider something like Fallout to be branching. Well-done branching, but still branching.

So we probably use different definitions of what we consider branching/goal-based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom