Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

An example of a really good survival horror game is Amnesia

It's barely a horror game, more like a walking sim with occasional need to hide for a while until monster despawns. Better example would be Alien Isolation which takes some inspiration from likes of Amnesia but also shits all over them by having actual gameplay in it. Not to mention being a lot scarier. And you made a mistake by expecting a Resident Evil game to be scary, none of these games are. They can provide some tense situations due to limited resources but that's about it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Dawkinsfan69 try Silent Hill 2 if you want a game with a dense atmosphere. RE games are more combat and resource-management oriented. RE1 also maybe more your cup of tea since the zombiefestation is toned down and the game is more about solving puzzles and the campy horror story.

DemonKing

Arcane
I finished this with the chick the other day - is it worth playing again with Leon or is it essentially the same thing with slightly different weapons?

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished this with the chick the other day - is it worth playing again with Leo or is it essentially the same thing with slightly different weapons?
There is a lot of duplicated content, but a lot that is not. Some of the maps take on different shapes and they often have different enemies or placement. Different set pieces and boss fights. Certain rooms and map sections are only for one character or the other. And then there is the whole end sequence, which is short but still the "true ending". For me it was totally worth it to play twice.

JDR13

Arcane
I finished this with the chick the other day - is it worth playing again with Leo or is it essentially the same thing with slightly different weapons?

You wouldn't be playing it again, you're just playing the second half. Unless it's changed from the original, playing both Leon and Claire is considered 1 full playthough.

Then, if you want, you can do a replay in reverse order and some things will be slightly different. i.e. Playing Leon first and Claire second instead of vice versa.

ultimanecat

Arcane
The differences between A and B runs are much fewer in the remake than the original. Besides the general weapon and slightly different path differences between characters, the main differences between A and B are that you enter the “B” police station from the east side instead of the front, the police station is populated with more and tougher enemies earlier, the first medallion puzzle and sewer chess puzzle are trickier to figure out, and all found handgun ammo is .45 ACP to go with the gun they give you at the start. Other than that I can’t think of A and B being different at all.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
In the original game the A and B scenarios differences aren't much on their own. The changes are in the puzzles, the appearance of Mr.X, some bosses and a new little section on the lab. The thing that added more changes between the A and B runs depending on certain actions was the zapping system, which is not present in the remake.

In the remake Leon and Claire campaings are more unique between them, but the A and B scenarios aren't complementary anymore. Personally I don't care, the only thing I think it clearly suffered because this new style was the giant alligator section.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Replaying this as Claire A / Leon B, and it holds up surprsingly well.

I simply love this remake, is it better than the original? Maybe, maybe not, but it's a helluva lot of fun tbh.

Playing it with maxed graphics with some gud reshade filters on, the game looks beautiful and stunning.

I can't wait for RE 3 remake.

This is my 2nd best game of the year 2019

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I simply love this remake, is it better than the original? Maybe, maybe not, but it's a helluva lot of fun tbh.
The great thing about this remake IMO is that it doesn't invalidates RE2, like RE1 remake did with RE1 original. RE2 original remains a fantastic game. This is also fantastic, but different enough that you you can like and play both games.

JDR13

Arcane
The only bad thing about the original RE2 & RE3 is that they weren't ported to a lot of systems. The Windows 98 PC ports were garbage, and the Gamecube versions remain the best ones.

It's a shame they never got updated Steam releases, but I'm guesing Capcom didn't think it was worth the effort. As it stands, the best way to play them is via the Dolphin emulator.

Viata

Arcane
they weren't ported to a lot of systems
This always reminds me of RE4.
In an interview with a Japanese magazine, Mikami even said that he would "commit harakiri" if RE4 came out on another platform
fl5if8a.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And that was one of the stupidest moves Capcom ever done.
On one hand, they made so much money with RE4 that you could fill out a dwarven hall, and it set design trends that persist to this day.
On the other, they lost many of their most talented devs, wich resulted in the creation of a big competitor (Platinum) and a significant drop in the quality of their games that lasted all the way to 2018.
But then again Mikami hasn't made anything worthwhile since his departure from Capcom...

Deflowerer

Arcane
The only bad thing about the original RE2 & RE3 is that they weren't ported to a lot of systems. The Windows 98 PC ports were garbage, and the Gamecube versions remain the best ones.

It's a shame they never got updated Steam releases, but I'm guesing Capcom didn't think it was worth the effort. As it stands, the best way to play them is via the Dolphin emulator.

Japanese got newer PC ports around 2004, they are arguably the best.

And PC ports (besides Dreamcast, which is based on the Windows port anyway) have a harder difficulty setting.

Wunderbar

Arcane
And PC ports (besides Dreamcast, which is based on the Windows port anyway) have a harder difficulty setting.
and RE2 Sourcenext can be played in English with rebirth patch.

JDR13

Arcane

Yeah, I've seen footage of the Japanese ports. They look pretty good but not as good as the GC version on Dolphin with the RESHDP patch.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
It would be fun if there was a third portable safe, that you had to solve real-time with several zombies roaming around in the same area.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
It would also be fun if there was a mode that lowered the health of most zombies and increased the zombie count to compensate, perhaps more than doubling them. Have one crawling out of every window and hole. Gimme me dat howlin' horde of endless monster enemies.
Put more of them on a more aggressive AI and it would be a fun variation to the game.

For my third wish I want zombies modeled after how they look in the night of the living dead trilogy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom