Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait. Not sure if I have the right one. Is this it?

dwarf%2Bfortress.jpg

(No Meph yet.)

That looks like the ASCII vanilla version, no tileset.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Yes, v.0.44.12 is the latest one. But you downloaded the game separately. Major tilesets like LazyNewb and Meph come in full package, with the game included. You don't need to make it harder for yourself - just download the package and run the launcher. It will do everything else for you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yes, v.0.44.12 is the latest one. But you downloaded the game separately. Major tilesets like LazyNewb and Meph come in full package, with the game included. You don't need to make it harder for yourself - just download the package and run the launcher. It will do everything else for you.
When in doubt, dig deeper.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I never tried Meph's so I dunno whether it comes with Dwarf Therapist.
This pack does:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076

I find DT to be an indispensible tool, especially for a newcomer to the game. What it does is, it gives you an out-of-game tool with an easy to use interface to set jobs for your dwarves. It's kinda like Gold Box Companion for the Gold Box games, if you need a comparison.

Setting jobs for your dwarves is usually a tedious task and it's not easy to overview which dwarf does which job.
Dwarf Therapist makes it much, much easier.

Generally, using external tools is a great way to make DF more approachable interface-wise without impacting the gameplay or balance in any way.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Please link to full install package? DF itself is 13mb whereas tileset is 360kb.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I never tried Meph's so I dunno whether it comes with Dwarf Therapist.

It does.

uW7QBAv.jpg

I find DT to be an indispensible tool, especially for a newcomer to the game.

You don't need it much, actually. DFHack implemented a lot of QoL features, so these days you have an in-game alternative of DT:

rlD0NkT.jpg

Now you can play DF without constantly Alt-Tabbin' to DT.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are we discussing HoMM3 and Dwarf Fortress, decidedly non-RPGs, in this thread? Perhaps it should be renamed Lilura's Blog II: Found Wanting.

Thunar

Educated
Can't wait til' she dismisses the game because it's "too random" and touts that somehow JA2's got a deeper combat system...
In the roguelike department, there's also Cataclysm DDA that's pretty amazing, though completely different.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Why is one Jarl recommended >filesize than Meph then?

Peridexis includes more plugins (never used them myself, can't say anything about them) and it seems like it comes with music and sounds. Meph's set doesn't include music/sounds, only the SoundSense plugin. Once you launch this plugin - it will download the sounds automatically.

My DF directory is over 1 Gb after unzipping Meph's package and letting SoundSense download the sounds.

Why are we discussing HoMM3 and Dwarf Fortress, decidedly non-RPGs,

DF includes roguelike mode, you fucking heretic.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are we discussing HoMM3 and Dwarf Fortress, decidedly non-RPGs,
DF includes roguelike mode, you fucking heretic.

That must be why you're discussing tilesets and alternatives to Dwarf Therapist. I'd call you an imbecile but you're clearly not serious, so it's fine.

It's not that Lilura can dismiss the game's random systems, it's that Dwarf Fortress is a simulation and strategy game. This is so very far-placed from her circle of competency, and such a betrayal of her obsessive "authoritative" fixation, that I can't help but be disappointed.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fuck me, that file factor:

Meph: 3,729 files, 422mb
Peridexus: 4,956 files, 690mb

Looking forward to this.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's not that Lilura can dismiss the game's random systems, it's that Dwarf Fortress is a simulation and strategy game. This is so very far-placed from her circle of competency, and such a betrayal of her obsessive "authoritative" fixation, that I can't help but be disappointed.

Meh, I'm a gamer first and foremost. I'm actually more knowledgeble on, say, Amiga, Genesis and SNES games (all genre) than I am about Renaissance-era RPGs. If the game scratches similar itches as "pure" RPGs do, who cares?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Everything DF-related is free. I'll just plug Meph again, you can choose the color palette yourself, it's pretty easy.

I've been playing Lazy Newb Pack for years and never heard of Meph. Fired this up, and it's fucking great. Thanks, Grimwulf. I love how easier it is to modify the tilesets and fonts.

Now, is there an easy way to rebind keys? I've gotten used to moving around using hjkl.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Grimwulf , in Meph, I clicked on SoundSense but it didn't auto-download the sounds; instead, it wants me to point to a folder/file?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Now, is there an easy way to rebind keys? I've gotten used to moving around using hjkl.

Err, what's wrong with the ingame Keybindings interface? Just hit ESC at any point of the game, main menu included, and rebind them to your liking.

Grimwulf , in Meph, I clicked on SoundSense but it didn't auto-download the sounds; instead, it wants me to point to a folder/file?

Right. My memory is not what it used to be.

1. Download the official soundpack, here is the link to .zip: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack.zip
2. Unzip it in your SoundSense directory (Meph launcher has a "Utility Folder" button - just click it, and it will point you to the proper directory)
3. Launch SoundSense
4. When it asks you to point a file, point it to gamelog.txt in the game root directory.

More elaborate instructions if you need them: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Err, what's wrong with the ingame Keybindings interface? Just hit ESC at any point of the game, main menu included, and rebind them to your liking.

I don't like them. It seems you can't make any direct changes in Meph. However, there is a file, in the main "Dwarf Fortress" directory, called "interace.txt" that has all the keybindings. It's easier, at least for me, to make changes in a text editor instead of doing it in the game.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are we discussing HoMM3 and Dwarf Fortress, decidedly non-RPGs, in this thread? Perhaps it should be renamed Lilura's Blog II: Found Wanting.
Because the edgyness has reached full peak. Like... imagine how edgy you have to be to ask if HoMM 3 is a masterpiece?

Even fucking smaug knows HoMM 3 is brilliant.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You're not gonna find JA2 levels of strategy and tactics here.
And thank God for that,nobody wants a mediocre long forgotten third rate game like JA2 in their Heroes3! And before you all go and rave about muh hidden gem of JA2 and how complex it is.....well our dear lilura manage to beat it but got her ass handed in Heroes 3 and deleted it :smug:.

:martini:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
You're not gonna find JA2 levels of strategy and tactics here.
And thank God for that,nobody wants a mediocre long forgotten third rate game like JA2 in their Heroes3! And before you all go and rave about muh hidden gem of JA2 and how complex it is.....well our dear lilura manage to beat it but got her ass handed in Heroes 3 and deleted it :smug:.

:martini:

Fellow Slavbro detected

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom