Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The one strategy game you will take on a desert island

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Dwarf Fortress, maybe then I will have time and patience to learn it properly

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War with all of its expan-

Ah nevermind, cut Soulstorm.
What's wrong with Soulstorm?

Gameplay-wise, it's fine, but the expansion pack felt more like a chinese bootleg than something official from the original devs. I was just seriously disappointed by the quality drop of this expansion pack.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Gameplay-wise, it's fine, but the expansion pack felt more like a chinese bootleg than something official from the original devs. I was just seriously disappointed by the quality drop of this expansion pack.
Not sure what you mean by that. I played it recently and Sisters and DE look and feel just fine with nicely detailed models, voicework etc. like the other races. The campaign is just whatever of course, same as Dark Crusade.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gary Grigsby's War in the East, or War in the Pacific.
Maybe I will have time to finish one game before dying from some local hazard or be rescued.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Either Rome 1 or Medieval 2 Total War with all of their mods.

Alternatively Civ 4 with Caveman 2 Cosmos and Fall From Heaven 2.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War with all of its expan-

Ah nevermind, cut Soulstorm.
What's wrong with Soulstorm?

The added factions were poorly done, and while DoW has always had balance issues with regards to specific strategies, the factions in general had reached a state of reasonable parity in Dark Crusade 1.2. Soulstorm then proceeded to meddle with what had been a reasonably balanced game. Necrons, for example, were considered to be overpowered in DC because they were easy to use and so at low skill levels had a substantial advantage compared to other factions (just make Warriors), but in practice were generally on the low end of the faction power spectrum; Soulstorm nerfed them because of the community's inaccurate perception of them being overpowered, even though they actually weren't.

If I recall correctly Soulstorm also got rid of building retention in the campaign, so if an enemy attacked a territory you held, you had to rebuild your base instead of keeping the base from when you'd last fought there. Which was tedious.

Aemar

Arcane
BIRTHRIGHT GORGON'S ALLIANCE
A most prestigious choice, probably one of the most ambitious games of the 90s (and well beyond, if not ever) that brought together different layers like the grand strategy aspect, tactical real-time battles, and first person dungeon crawling. A lot of shortcomings including flawed design and bad AI, but such an undeservingly forgotten title, that's for sure.

Andnjord

Arcane
Gonna go with Gary Grisby's War in the East or War in the Pacific as well. Finally I'd have the time to understand this monstrosity of a game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, I live on a desert island (almost) and my favorite is Civ 5 with all the expansions. Civ 4 is probably good too, but I never got into it.

What I really like is the top-down strategy view like in Civ 1, which is what I missed in Civ 2-4.

War in the Pacific
or
World In Flames
Did they add AI to World in Flames? Otherwise I would only bring it if I had 5 other survivors on the island :)
they will never be able to add AI to WiF unless they hire an entire company or team. Its way too complicated. That one guy thinks he can do it himself, but it took him 20 years to program the game. I am amazed he was able to do it at all. I mean the game has endless rules. It has like 82 optional rules you can turn on and off..lol..

anyway, even playing solo it provides enough entertainment.

laclongquan

Arcane
Another vote for Alpha Centauri. When I actually get a few consecutive days free for gaming (happens about once a year) it's the game I find myself playing.

And every time Yang ruins my Christmas...

Even with my all-forest strategy, sometimes we get climate changes like polar melting and sea rising even earlier when any body can get boreholes. And we all know who is to blame for that.

YAAAAAAAAANG! You ruin my deltas and my coasts.

MWaser

Arbiter
Another vote for Alpha Centauri. When I actually get a few consecutive days free for gaming (happens about once a year) it's the game I find myself playing.

Even with my all-forest strategy, sometimes we get climate changes like polar melting and sea rising even earlier when any body can get boreholes. And we all know who is to blame for that.

Forget climate change, the mindworm revolt is the real ecological disaster

laclongquan

Arcane

Forget climate change, the mindworm revolt is the real ecological disaster

Once you got a reliable squad of (elite) veterans with ECM, boils is a great source of income. pearls, pearls, pearls. Pearl is pretty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom