Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomhaven - roguelike dungeon-crawling adaptation of the board game

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anyone playing this?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yes, it is difficult and satisfying experience. I've just bought it so I could use it as the tutorial for the boxed, board edition of the game. PC version is pretty solid but rather incomplete when compared to physical version. But even right now, with approx.40% of content (70% mechanics, 40% of graphics and 30% of monsters/characters/quests) it is much more complex and well thought than most of the indie or AAA turn based games released in the last years.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The best thing about the pc version is that it made my boardgame group realize that we were misinterpreting some rules all along. Playing Gloomhaven on PC, at least solo makes you miss out on the social aspect of the board game, which is yuuuge imo. Exploring and unlocking the box's content together - or screwing each other over - is even more fun than the dungeoneering itself.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Why not just play the actual boardgame though?
As I said before: to learn the game. Digital version has some kind of roguelike campaign, different than boardgame campaign, so it is not so spoiling.

Also, for playing solo, a full PC version would be an interesting choice, as the setup for boardgame could take eternity.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I made a thread on the Gazebo about the physical games, if anyone wants to chat about Jaws of the Lion or something: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gloomhaven-frosthaven.133635/

Since this thread was last updated the digital version has released a new "Fantasy Roster" mode, a la Bloodbow.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/780290/view/2445966074569504585

Greetings mercenaries!

Following our last announcement about the upcoming Guildmaster mode, we wanted to share with you more details about it! As you may know, the current Adventure mode will be replaced by the Guildmaster mode on June 25, in which you’ll discover a more immersive and progressive gameplay. It is indeed a new way of looking at the game, while adding as you go along, essential bricks of content for us to build the final campaign.

This time, we’ll talk about the Guild itself, and which improvements it brings. As the continent faces the arrival of bandits and monsters, the roads are not safe anymore. As a guildmaster, this is an opportunity for you and your mercenaries to make a few gold coins out of this mess.

bc2c3d7a3c7cb89554ba055f5bc1bbd87793e3eb.png

UNLOCK YOUR FAVORITE MERCENARIES AND SWITCH ROSTERS

The first step will be unlocking your mercenaries scattered across the map. Here, you will have to recruit them yourself through dedicated missions! The game starts with Brute from the tutorial and you will then proceed to unlock the other five starting characters.

b4c4d04deb02061c633d58a1125c964cf4dbb883.jpg

Once your team is assembled, the new Guild interface will allow you to change your roster. Between each dungeon and quest, you will be able to customize your company as you see fit and create your own hired blades raiding party. You are free to create parties of two, three or four mercenaries and change rosters between each dungeon! The choice is yours. Note that the enemy levels will still adapt according to the team you have chosen and the levels of the characters in it. Manage your roster and groups of mercenaries, from the most aggressive to the most cunning, by adapting your strategy to each new dungeon! Each character has its strengths and weaknesses, so make sure to balance your team before you embark on your adventure!

Being able to switch your party members between scenarios is one of the several necessary steps for us to take on our way to the campaign from the board game. The long-term goal always remains a complete and faithful release of the original board game campaign. The Guildmaster mode and the board game campaign will be two seperate game modes, allowing you to experience two completely different adventures in Gloomhaven Digital.

BIND YOUR ITEMS

In the all-new Guildmaster mode, you’ll be able to bind items to a specific character.
This prevents you from constantly switching the items between each of your characters, these guys are protective of their gear! Each item will be “bound” when equipped to a mercenary, which is another step towards the campaign mechanics. Please note that to retain flexibility in Guildmaster, you can unbind items for money.

WELCOME YOUR NEW ADVISERS!

Rest assured that you will not be alone as a guild master, you can count on your new advisers to support you in all the new tasks you will be responsible for, such as organizing your guild members and assigning them different perks and items.
4 new NPCs have been added in this new mode, allowing you to benefit from their advice throughout your adventure.

cbd20007ea10c1f30153a396671b92e539262d0d.jpg

The Trainer: You can count on the help of the Trainer during an entirely reworked tutorial. He’ll stay by your side during the game, sharing with you the best strategies and more! Moreover, he brings with him all the back end achievement systems, allowing you to unlock specific new missions and rewards by completing set requirements.

The Merchant: The merchant always has the business acumen! You’re always welcome in his shop. Furthermore, he has traveled a lot and surely knows his way around the region. Now, is he tagging along for money? Probably, yes.

The Enchantress: Inspired by your desire to rid the region of its ills, this mysterious woman will offer you her services by enhancing your abilities.

The Keeper of the Oak: She runs the Temple which allows you to be blessed in the next scenario. It is always good to be in the good grace of the gods…

We are planning other more detailed posts on the new Guildmaster mode and its many improvements; stay tuned for it! We sincerely hope that these changes delight you!
Don't forget: see you on June 25 for the arrival of the Guildmaster mode, the Gloomhaven adventure goes on!

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Have only played a few hours but I like it so far. Lots of tactics and strategy involved in the battles and the deck building/resource management aspects. Classes are diverse and there seem to be lots of builds possible.

There is only the adventure mode available now so not much to say about story yet.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Let me tell you that the story in the original campaign might as well not exist. This game is all gameplay, lots of theme, little story.

covr

Prophet
Patron
New huge content update is out, the are working much faster then I expected. I assume they should be content-complete in the next 8-10 months, including main campaign. I haven't tried new characters but Barbarian looks like some of the girls from my elementary school when I check them on facebook nowadays. Except the obesity, GH Barbarian is slim as fuck.

In the meantime, I strongly recommend playing the game in multi with your friends or random fucks using guildmaster mode (sort of random roguelike mode with very minor narrative elements). It is fun and solid experience already.

“Another street fight broke out... it was commonplace in the lower town. This time however, the crowd around the two concerned caught your attention. As you get closer, you manage to discern an imposing horned figure in the crowd, obviously settling her score with a thief who had the misfortune of trying to steal her purse full of gold. A new mercenary has arrived in town—and it seems that she was not alone. A figure covered in armor put an end to the combat, separated the attackers and settled the conflict in a few well thought words. Her large, mysterious eyes displayed considerable pride and disdain. Maybe a second recruit for your guild?”

TWO STRONG AND SOLID MERCENARIES ARE WAITING TO BE RECRUITED

Always eager to prove herself in a challenge, the first mercenary is a warrior willing to go to any lengths to keep her people safe, including sacrificing her own life. Careful, as the more wounded she becomes, the more dangerous it becomes to fight against her! Welcome the

43674bf372ca8a723bd35cbc22cfb41f04bb5c95.jpg

The second mercenary who joined the fight is from a unique race never seen in the Early Access… They often travel the world, seeking out situations where they can demonstrate their brilliant powers. Proud and diplomatic, you can count on her abilities to protect your fellow mercenaries. Recruit the

72b5738eb0a12f48de0064d0c6ca2408dd52959c.jpg

WELCOME TO TOWN: THE CITY STREETS AND ITS ENEMIES ARE NOW AVAILABLE!

Discover the all-new biome and venture out with your mercenaries along the city streets. From the merchant lane, to the upper town, pass through the shacks, walk the alleys with your mercenaries and enjoy the new features of this specific biome!
  • Rediscover the third AI adapted to the city streets: several criminals roam the city, and you can count on the guards to help you stop them. On the other hand, you too are a potential target for anyone with enough money to put on your head …
  • Begin a scenario with your mercenaries scattered around the map! Your team of mercenaries will start the scenario scattered alone or in pairs in different rooms. Time to adapt your strategies to regroup and to eliminate every enemy encountered.

With the brand new city biome comes fearsome new enemies! Do not be fooled by the presumed prosperity of the place: you are bound to attract unwanted attention during your journey in town… Keep an eye on them, and make sure to always stay on your guard, for many dangers are hiding behind the apparent calm of the streets:
  • City Archer
  • City Guard
  • Ancient artillery
  • Harrower Infester
  • A new boss:

ccb74dda0fddf81ade024561ba50935b94bab6b1.jpg

NEW QUESTS ADDED: A DARK CONSPIRACY IS BREWING IN TOWN...

Restore peace and order through several new missions, guildmasters!
  • 7 story missions: you will soon learn that a terrible plot is at work in the city. Whether it is for gold, fame or justice, you are the only one who can dismantle this organization and save an entire people.
  • 2 relic missions: powerful items could greatly help your Guild members during their missions…
  • 10 journey missions: the map is getting bigger! Discover new places and pocket gold coins by completing the journey missions.

MADE A MISTAKE? USE THE NEW “RESTART ROUND” OPTION!

Adding an “undo button” was definitely one of the most requested features since the beginning of Early Access. We took your feedback into account and we are pleased to announce that the “Restart Round” option is now available. Once the round restarted, the seed of the enemies’ moves won’t change. You can now redo your last actions safely to recover from a grave mistake that might have been made in error and change the previously selected cards.

REPORT YOUR BUGS DIRECTLY FROM THE GAME

You will also be welcomed by an all-new bug report option in game! From now on, when you will be encountering an error pop up, you will be able to report the issue directly from the game. The main advantage is that your save will automatically be sent to the developers, along with your report. This will greatly help us investigate the various bugs. Our community means a lot to us and we are very grateful for all the help we are receiving during this Early Access!

All this great news is without counting the amount of new items added, the UI improvements and bugs fixed! Make sure to read the full patch notes here.

The city’s gates are now open, waiting for you, guildmasters! Battle through death and despair to satisfy your greed!

v1rus

Arcane
Completed first 4 missions of Jaws of The Lion tonight.

Bros, this shit is majestic incline.

mondblut

Arcane

Luzur

Good Sir
It's been 25 years and HeroQuest is still wondering why people put up with this crap instead of proper RPGs.

Why HeroQuest havent had a remake is beyond me, people forgotten about it?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/528304/english-edition-2021

Why would a boardgame need a "2021 remake"? To have you apologize to orcs for your human privilege instead of slaying them?

He meant this one:
4557_small.jpg

they added in female monsters, thats all i could notice

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I see Asmodee Digital released only three games on GOG out of 34 games on Steam.

But who knows, this is becoming the best seller for them maybe GOG will care to ask them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I bought this on sale yesterday (on Steam, unfortunately) with the intention of playing with other people (or at least a specific person) and the gameplay foundations seem very solid. I like how you have to use a card to move (as opposed to having separate movement points) and you have to loot the battlefield before you complete objectives. It makes you focus on something which isn't killing all the time and the card choices are actually important. Because of this, I haven't been able to find a "one tactic to rule them all" yet which many RPGs devolve into. We'll see if it holds up, if the encounter design is great this might be a hidden gem. When I become super rich, I might buy the tabletop version as well.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I bought this on sale yesterday (on Steam, unfortunately) with the intention of playing with other people (or at least a specific person) and the gameplay foundations seem very solid. I like how you have to use a card to move (as opposed to having separate movement points) and you have to loot the battlefield before you complete objectives. It makes you focus on something which isn't killing all the time and the card choices are actually important. Because of this, I haven't been able to find a "one tactic to rule them all" yet which many RPGs devolve into. We'll see if it holds up, if the encounter design is great this might be a hidden gem. When I become super rich, I might buy the tabletop version as well.

It is well worth the $100~ if you have people to play with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom