Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Didn't know felipepe was a DE lover. I see now that he is :)

Anyway, I didn't vote in any 2019 polls because I don't think there were any standout games or RPGs made in 2019. I refuse to cast "anti" votes for other games, won't stoop that low, which is why I did not vote.

The Real Fanboy
giphy.gif

So awesome!

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tbh, we simply don't have enough rpgs being released to justify an annual poll. 2015 was an awesome exception, with two great games fighting for the top, either one could've made it and nobody would really bother to question the winner's legitimacy.

2019 doesn't even have much in the way of rpg releases, let alone good ones. So some shovelware got chosen because there was nothing else.

Who cares, this same time next year DE won't even be remembered. Kinda like the last cowaduty, tbh. The tasteless masses will move on to their next overhyped crap.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Give us some statistics compared to GOTY winners from last 5 years Felipe. Like, total amount of votes, positive/negatives etc. Would be interesting to see how DE compares.

Tigranes

Arcane
Not a surprise, 2019 didn't have a single 'bona fide' RPG that wasn't critically flawed in some way. Worth remembering last time we had one - Pathfinder - it won handily.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not a surprise, 2019 didn't have a single 'bona fide' RPG that wasn't critically flawed in some way. Worth remembering last time we had one - Pathfinder - it won handily.

Well, I wouldn't call Pathfinder, not critically flawed.

Bugs, RTWP, time limits

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bugs, RTWP, time limits

Not to mention Codex GOTY Divinity: Original Sin 2.

This is my take: There are a lot of people who vote in our GOTY polls that are perfectly fine with enjoying the mainstream stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that!). That's why poor TOW at the bottom of this year's list has 50% positive reviews as well, given to it by a large number of voters.

So when you take that critical mass of mainstream game lovers, and give it an extra edge - turn-based combat, authentic oldschool appeal, particularly good writing, etc - you get a game that's very likely to win #1. Even if it has flaws.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Bugs, RTWP, time limits

Not to mention Codex GOTY Divinity: Original Sin 2.

This is my take: There are a lot of people who vote in our GOTY polls that are perfectly fine with enjoying the mainstream stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that!). That's why poor TOW at the bottom of this year's list has 50% positive reviews as well, given to it by a large number of voters.

So when you take that critical mass of mainstream game lovers, and give it an extra edge - turn-based combat, authentic oldschool appeal, etc - you get a game that's very likely to win #1. Even if it has flaws.
Hmmm between this poll and mine,i believe that we could get a good grasp at what people like. Fepipe's poll shows how the general fell is in general,while mine makes a direct choice of what the codex would pick if they have a single choice.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Troll? I have played all those games and each and everyone was a masterpiece.
Except one...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Death Mark was released last year, wonder why it didn't make the list. As far as I can tell, it's just as much of an RPG as Disco Elysium. +M
ss_8bd517184f9cca50a6d2f4b13ce7ccf457e39bbd.1920x1080.jpg

ss_fddd27d543456607124855d0d85f4e6185a825be.1920x1080.jpg

Of course, I have to point out that the voting system allows people to vote as many times as they want and, while I do clean up obvious troll votes, clearly people were a lot more butthurt this year. If we get another butthurt war in 2020 I might need to change the voting system. Or just embrace dumb drama as part of the annual tradition.

So you're saying the fake votes were the negative ones and not any of the positive huh, agenda acknowledged. :hmmm:

Mortmal

Arcane
A very good visual novel, an igavania, and a card game, why dont we put consoles games in the poll ? Its really voting for the game you liked in 2019 now.
One day it will happen , things change, i was shocked to see Infinitron was playing a rpg yesterday ! Such world shattering event, and it was AOD for a good 4 hours . A cyoa yes , but with some strong rpg elements still… Years after years posting about those rpg games , this must have triggered something inside , he finally asked himself what the fuck those were about.

AMG

Arbiter
Hey kid, do you want to know which card game is the best in town? How about platformers, you interested in those? Surely you enjoy Visual Novels as well?
Well then I have a place just for you! Hop over to friendly lads at RPG Codex, they know all about this stuff and prepared a top 2019 games list just for you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom