Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingpin: Reloaded - remaster of Kingpin by 3D Realms

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
4yQDGci.jpg
2KPKClG.jpg
jWo7wuj.jpg

Kingpin: Reloaded Revealed, Criminal Warfare Arrives on Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in 2020

AALBORG, Denmark — January 16, 2020 — Kingpin: Reloaded, the remastered, enhanced version of the crime-themed first-person shooter developed and published by 3D Realms and Interplay, recruits new gang members on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC later this year.

In a stylized noir art deco gangland that never was, the Kingpin rules above all else with a bloody fist. When his lieutenant Nikki Blanco leaves a no-name Thug battered and broken, the upstart criminal rises from a puddle of blood, lead pipe in hand and revenge in mind. Kingpin: Reloaded brings new life to the Quake II engine classic. 4K resolution, ultrawide support, and improved graphics in Enhanced mode enable the beautifully-depicted metropolitan nightmare shine. Controller support makes the game more accessible for anyone who wants to explore the depths of Kingpin’s depravity. Overall improvements like new quest and conversation systems make Reloaded even better than the original.

Stalk lamp-lit streets and take down rival gangs to let the Kingpin know his end is nigh. Kingpin’s immersive sim elements allow the Thug to recruit other gangsters with a conversation system. Increase the Thug’s influence through multiple hub-based missions. Run with the gang on a violent warpath with upgradeable weapons including Tommy guns, bazookas, and more. Location-based damage leads to bloody, thrilling battles: kneecap, maim, or go for the head. If that sounds too extreme, try No Violence mode. However, the “colorful” language proudly used by Kingpin’s gangsters remains. Lean even further into that era and start fragging in Gang Bang mode’s old-school multiplayer.

Kingpin: Reloaded will debut at PAX South this weekend at the 3D Realms booth. “Kingpin doesn’t get the recognition it deserves, due to unfortunately releasing in an era when games were blamed for societal problems,” said Frederik Schreiber, founder of 3D Realms. “We have the privilege of giving it a second chance for people who never heard of it, and sprucing it
up for diehard fans yearning to go back to a life of (simulated!) crime.”

Kingpin: Reloaded will be available in English on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in 2020. For more information, please visit the official Kingpin: Reloaded website and check- out the official Twitter, Facebook, and Discord.

And from 3D Realm's Fredrik on discord...

:what:

also will this chris taylor ever be around to explain how exactly he is involved

he owns interplay and as an advisor on the project

What

Is Herve no longer a part of the picture?

i dont know the specifics of interplay and who owns what etc

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
4yQDGci.jpg

Graphical ENHANCEMENTS including slapping some cheap bloom filter on there to make the light fixtures into miniature suns and cause documents on a table to glow like they're radioactive. Remember how people used to criticize games in the mid-2000s for their over-reliance on and poor use of post-processing effects like bloom? Now they clap and cheer when these same effects are slathered all over an older game. How standards have fallen.

m_s0

Arcane
Enhanced mode doesn't look good in my opinion. A lot of the atmosphere seems lost.
Yeah.
In a stylized noir art deco
...occasionally lit like a multi-camera sitcom. Looks like their copy guy knows more about lighting than their lighting people if that screenshot is any indication (and why choose it if it's not representative?). That is somewhat worrying.

schru

Arcane
Funny how they chose to render the ‘Classic Mode’ screenshot at a low resolution and then upscaled it, for extra ugliness, in spite of the Quake II engine supporting resolutions up to 1600x1200 by default. I think there's also an issue with how gamma in those games is rendered on modern cards. I'm pretty sure they didn't have such weak contrast on Voodoo cards or whatever other hardware was optimal at the time.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
LOVED this game back in the day. Sign me the fuck up for a remake playthrough allright.

Yo, you got a buck? Nah aint got a buck!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Graphical ENHANCEMENTS including slapping some cheap bloom filter on there to make the light fixtures into miniature suns and cause documents on a table to glow like they're radioactive. Remember how people used to criticize games in the mid-2000s for their over-reliance on and poor use of post-processing effects like bloom? Now they clap and cheer when these same effects are slathered all over an older game. How standards have fallen.

Given the "60fps!" thing and the general look, I'd guess this is muuuuuch more about a console version cash grab than actually enhancing it for PC. You're probably good with the Steam/GOG version, which according to PC Gaming Wiki already has a fan patch enabling widescreen, 4k resolutions and 144+fps.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
4yQDGci.jpg

holy fuck this looks so bad. classic mode looks a million times better. who the fuck did they hire for vfx artists

schru

Arcane
I've just tried the game with the 3dfx driver with the help of the dgVoodoo wrapper and it does indeed look much better than the OpenGL mode they used for comparison. I had to increase the gamma manually in the screenshots, but the game itself looked a little more vivid. Also, dgVoodoo allows for tasteful dithering which I think contributes considerably to the feel of those early accelerated graphics:

JQA0gqa.jpg

jNrcE7l.jpg

e7TdVLB.jpg

kMl1CQN.jpg

a3ZoqBF.jpg

CTISFUF.jpg

HZxJQVb.jpg

BKd7OkH.jpg

6zoUfRf.jpg

XRBqP30.jpg

L7tkXFF.jpg

jOoOErY.jpg

s7udBat.jpg

z4iMV5k.jpg

HhAiCuh.jpg

uLFR7Yi.jpg

kFiYRmB.jpg

26T1TYm.jpg

SgoNlfu.jpg

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I would get the flamethrower then proceed to fuck the entire server. At a LAN my older brother actually came through and repeatedly punched my shoulder because of how much a cunt I was with it. I think it was the combination of fucking up your screen with shit and dancing around avoiding most bullet spray coming at me that made it such a lovely weapon.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
This thread made me want to play it again. It's still pretty fun, if relying a little heavy on memorizing enemy locations, unless you like getting blasted as soon as you turn a corner. The default opengl mode on the GOG looks very washed out, where Glide looks pretty good still.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
those upscales are pretty good, but where's the beef

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom