Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Not a surprise, 2019 didn't have a single 'bona fide' RPG that wasn't critically flawed in some way. Worth remembering last time we had one - Pathfinder - it won handily.

Well, I wouldn't call Pathfinder, not critically flawed.

Bugs, RTWP, time limits

Not to mention Codex GOTY Divinity: Original Sin 2.

This is my take: There are a lot of people who vote in our GOTY polls that are perfectly fine with enjoying the mainstream stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that!). That's why poor TOW at the bottom of this year's list has 50% positive reviews as well, given to it by a large number of voters.

So when you take that critical mass of mainstream game lovers, and give it an extra edge - turn-based combat, authentic oldschool appeal, particularly good writing, etc - you get a game that's very likely to win #1. Even if it has flaws.
The relatively high rating of Outer Worlds even on codex pretty much means it will become the nuXcom of RPG. People can all cry and whine about Disco, but except some pretentious attempts at mimicking its narrative style it won't have any major influence on the genre. D:OS2 was already controversial but despite it's shortcomings, at least it kept the genre's mainstream on track of turn based combat, isometric view and branching dialogue. Their further direction remains to be seen with BG3. However, Outer Worlds has shown that colorful FPP mediocrity of paper thin characters delivering shallow lines is enough to gain positive acclaim in cRPG mainstream, and just like Witcher 3 gameplay made it's way all the way up the normie chain to titles like Assassins Creed, this shit is here to stay, and whatever Bethesda pukes out next, will only cement that further (once it actually works).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is shame that Operencia ended up as EPIC sacrifice. It is maybe the best true RPG of the year. Also shame that Greedfall didn't get enough love here,it is a good action RPG.

V_K

Arcane

Deleted Member 22431

Didn't know felipepe was a DE lover. I see now that he is :).
You sweet summer child.

Anyway, I didn't vote in any 2019 polls because I don't think there were any standout games or RPGs made in 2019. I refuse to cast "anti" votes for other games, won't stoop that low, which is why I did not vote.

Same. :salute:

Viata

Arcane
Seriously. I didn't play Bloodstained, but everything I see about it, it's just a generic Metroidvania game(perhaps better than most of them). So why was it voted as a RPG?

Black Angel

Arcane
Yes, but it takes half the game to get there.
I'm no storyfag by any means, but the biggest criticism I have of Underrail is that the first few main quests feel very arbitrary, with no overarching direction.
I can get arbitrary, but care to elaborate the no overarching direction part? Because all I see is one giant ride to Deep Caverns from post-Junkyard to finish.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Happy to see Greedfall beat Outer worlds in terms of satisfied players, yeah it’s very much a 7/10 game but its the best spiders has done yet and for those of us who liked mass effect-dragon age era bioware it did ok at scratching that itch. And you can actually look good in that game!

Spellforce 3 expansion seems to have failed to make an impact, kinda like the main game itself, aw.

Disco elysium remains a mystery to me, Bataille’s review was positive and I had the impression people really liked the game but the pushback was strong. Clearly i’ll have to read through the Disco thread to understand why it’s so divisive even if I read a spoiler or 3 in the process.

Otherwise titan outpost caught my eye, will have to check that out.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is shame that Operencia ended up as EPIC sacrifice. It is maybe the best true RPG of the year. Also shame that Greedfall didn't get enough love here,it is a good action RPG.

Greedfall is shit.
greedfall-review-h.jpg

I could see why you think that way...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Greedfall is shit.

Greedfall was ok but it should have been a 30 hours game. They had enough interesting content for that. Unfortunatelly, the game lasted twice as long.

While the general quality of Spiders game increases, they obviously don't learn from their mistakes. Almost every game they made, except for Technomancer, was bigger than it should be, resulting in either rushed ending or extended periods of boredom.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
y, the game lasted twice as long.
Really? Hmm i finish it in around 30ish hours. It seems i am pretty fast player,it does make sense to be bored if you played it for 30 hours.

Almost every game they made, except for Technomancer was bigger than it should be
I disagree with that, mars logs was like 10 hour game that tell a story and ended. It was well paced and didn't had any filler.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
While the general quality of Spiders game increases, they obviously don't learn from their mistakes. Almost every game they made, except for Technomancer was bigger than it should be, resulting in either rushed ending or extended periods of boredom.
Even Technomancer had loads of backtracking through respawning enemies. As for me Mars War Logs remains their best game. It was janky as fuck but unique. Technomancer felt like milking (the otherwise interesting) setting.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Really? Hmm i finish it in around 30ish hours. It seems i am pretty fast player,it does make sense to be bored if you played it for 30 hours.

Almost every game they made, except for Technomancer was bigger than it should be
I disagree with that, mars logs was like 10 hour game that tell a story and ended. It was well paced and didn't had any filler.

Mars: War Logs was a good, short game, but the ending was definately rushed: there is no interesting final combat, just some "elite" mob protecting the villain, which at that point goes down like every other mob, because you are at your maximum fighting capacity. Not a very satisfying ending to a game that is reminescent of B class science fiction movies like Total Recall.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Mars: War Logs was a good, short game, but the ending was definately rushed: there is no interesting final combat, just some "elite" mob protecting the villain, which at that point goes down like every other mob, because you are at your maximum fighting capacity. Not a very satisfying ending to a game that is reminescent of B class science fiction movies like Total Recall.
In generally i agree with that,the final chapter was rushed and ended kind off meh. On other hand it made sense,the game was pretty realistic and didn't have over the top bosses. It made sense that some fat politician has an elite guards and it is not some super fighter. In the end i give a special bonus to spider for having unique and interesting games,they are one of my favourite modern studios. Curious what they will make now that they have backing. They are games are far better than the modern soulless garbage that biowaste and obsicucks produce. Greedfall is a lot better game than Outer Words for certainty!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom