Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Martyr

Arcane
seems like my praise was a bit premature.
the Iwon Rehg dungeon is literal hell. visuals straight out of the fucking Oblivion lava towers and unskippable laser beam puzzles, which span 3 floors.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Oh god, those fucking laser puzzles. There are *so many* of those fucking puzzles in this game. That dungeon is just the start.

Martyr

Arcane
Oh god, those fucking laser puzzles. There are *so many* of those fucking puzzles in this game. That dungeon is just the start.

and I guess none of them are skippable, even with the puzzle-skip-song ....
this pretty much nullified my will to play this game any longer.

forget all the good things I've said previously, this game sucks.

Sinatar

Arbiter
I played vanilla BT4 so the skip thing wasn't in, maybe some of them are skippable. Regardless they suck.

Martyr

Arcane
anyone who says that Temple of Elemental Evil is repetetive should visit the Isle of Stronsea in BT4.
the whole isle is chock full of combat encounters and it's always the same, boring shit - either you've got a group of barbarians who hit you right back after you attack them, or you've got a group of skeletons (with or without a necromancer) who respawn with half their energy every round.
that's tiring as fuck. 15 minutes on Stronsea and I feel like I'm 90, I just want to lay down and sleep forever.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1091980/announcements/detail/1607151615987550977

November 20 Patch - The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Update
A new update is live with fixes and improvements across the game.

We've just released a new update which addresses a number of reported issues, including performance improvements, and bug and balance fixes. Check it out and let us know what you think!

The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut – November 15 Update

Art
  • Dual wielding enemies should now have their second weapon
  • When Illusory Dalgliesh transforms, he should now have his appropriate weapon
  • Fixed some texture issues that display on models at a particular distance
  • Revealing multiple suspicious citizens with a single move will no longer cause issues with their models
Gameplay
  • Players can no longer deploy barricades on occupied squares
  • Players will now receive Songs of Exploration, regardless of whether or not Party chatter is on or off
  • Fixed several issues related to combat positioning and respawning
  • Fixed an issue with a ladder in Mangar's Tower
  • Fixed movement nodes in the chambers beneath Skyhenge
  • Fixes to the puzzle at the top of the Sentry Tower
  • Door to Dwarven ruins will no longer be locked
  • The Redcap will now damage Dwarven party members with its "Headbutt" ability
  • Luck Stones will no longer respawn when transitioning levels
  • Fixed an issue where Gaufroi would not give loot when killed in a specific manner
  • Fixed a rare issue in which loading an auto-save before a specific battle would prevent the player from interacting with the world
  • Fixed audio distortion in several places around the world
  • Healing potions are no longer consumed twice when in battle
  • Skill cooldown should always trigger in waved combats now
HUD/UI
  • Fixed issues relating to corrupted save files, and fixes to the save/load game menus
  • Added the "History of Caith" cinematic into the "special Features" menu.
  • Cursor will no longer disappear when pressing ESC during the skill tree tutorial
  • Cursor should no longer disappear when talking to NPCs
  • Adjustments to HUD elements for better readability
  • Fixed an issue where a black screen will be displayed at a particular point in the game after loading a generated autosave
  • Moving an equipped trinket item in your inventory will no longer unequip it
  • Using the escape key will no longer fully back out of the Options menu
  • Fixed a rare issue where a spell couldn't be cast if spell points were gained through the "Blood Pact” passive
Stability
  • Improvements to game-wide performance, asset loading, stability, and world collision
  • Equipping archmage robes on a Trow will no longer crash the game
  • Fixed some isolated and specific combat crashes
  • Users are no longer able to launch multiple instances of the game simultaneously
  • Fixed an issue with the final level when settings are on Low
  • Fixed a rare issue in which loading an auto-save before a specific battle would prevent the player from interacting with the world

grimace

Arcane
I just got an email about my free GOG upgrade key for
The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut - Deluxe Edition

https://af.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_iv_directors_cut_deluxe_edition?as=1649904300

Hi Grimace,

It’s just about time for The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut!

Included in this email is a link to claim your GOG BT4:DC Deluxe Edition Upgrade Key. Once the game is available in your library on August 27th, you can use this key to upgrade your version of The Bard’s Tale IV from Standard to Deluxe.

Thank you again for backing The Bard’s Tale IV and have fun exploring the all new features in this Director’s Cut.

Your GOG key(s):

http://af.gog.com/redeem/keykeykeykeykeykey?as=1649904300

Thanks!
The inXile Team

This slow email was to remind me of August 27th 2019 and not 8 months from now.

The Director’s Cut brings more character customization options, new items, new enemies, revised UI, and a free expansion dungeon.

Will there be any more official patches, polishing, or cutting of this product?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EIN7sNH.png
It's a matter of time x 1

Sacibengala

Prophet
I just got an email about my free GOG upgrade key for
The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut - Deluxe Edition

https://af.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_iv_directors_cut_deluxe_edition?as=1649904300

Hi Grimace,

It’s just about time for The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut!

Included in this email is a link to claim your GOG BT4:DC Deluxe Edition Upgrade Key. Once the game is available in your library on August 27th, you can use this key to upgrade your version of The Bard’s Tale IV from Standard to Deluxe.

Thank you again for backing The Bard’s Tale IV and have fun exploring the all new features in this Director’s Cut.

Your GOG key(s):

http://af.gog.com/redeem/keykeykeykeykeykey?as=1649904300

Thanks!
The inXile Team

This slow email was to remind me of August 27th 2019 and not 8 months from now.

The Director’s Cut brings more character customization options, new items, new enemies, revised UI, and a free expansion dungeon.

Will there be any more official patches, polishing, or cutting of this product?
Yeah, I got that one too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curratum

I'd rather say nearly not enough, considering what a hilarious pile of rubbish the game is at the moment.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just read on the Steam forum they patched the game to work only on Win 10. I assume that Wasteland 3 also won't work.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
huh: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1091980/discussions/0/3345546435397827349/

Copy/pasta of my recent response in the bug reporting thread: Microsoft has ended support for Windows 7, and with the latest update to the game we followed suit and have raised the game's minimum system requirements to Windows 10. If you're on an older version of Windows, of course our recommendation is to upgrade/update to the latest version. If that's not possible for you, please contact our support directly and we'll see if there's some way we can assist. https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

At the moment Halo MCC and Gears 5 didn't seem to 'follow suit'. Is this only inXile thing?

Double absurdity pointed at the thread: it also does not work on Windows 8, which will be supported for another 3 years.

Curratum

I reported the game out of spite. And because I'm not on Win 10 and I can't play, of course.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're backing down a little bit:

Hey all, as a brief update (regarding minimum requirements having been raised to Windows 10), I’ve spoken with our engineers and they’re looking into a solution that could allow Win 7/8.1 to still launch the game. I don’t have specifics to share yet as far as timeframe, or even if it’s a change they’ll be able to make, but we’re looking into it.

In the meantime, we do have a sort of workaround we’re offering through our support contact that may help some of you. Again, if you haven’t done so already, please reach out to us there: https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

SniperHF

Arcane
Hmmm yes you definitely need "engineers" to fix shit you broke. Guess I better download the GOG version before it hits there.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
1. Game runs on older OS since launch.
2. Patch older OS out, driven by an obvious agenda.
3. Bros, our top scientists are working on a solution to run game on older OS, but this might be impossible.

:lol:

Boy, I sure am looking forward to gaming in 2020.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Update is coming, probably.

Hi all, we're working on an update but as that'll take some more time to develop and test (and we'd like to get you back in-game asap) you can follow the below to revert back to the last build and play.

Of note: Mac and Linux users should NOT use this method. Anyone experiencing issues on Mac or Linux should reach out to us via our Support Site.

- In your library, right click The Bard's Tale IV: Directors Cut
- select 'Properties'
- click the BETAS tab
- input this code: Win7n8CompatTest
- click 'check code'
- in the drop down above the code field, select Win_7_8_Test -
- click close on that tab

At this point, the game will update to the previous version that should be compatible with Win 7/8. Existing saves should be unaffected.

If this doesn't work for any Win 7/8 users, please let me know.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
thinking about giving it a run, but I have both versions, vanilla and director's and I've read everything about them, from shit vanilla difficult, to shit directors easy, to downgrade, etc

And I have not found any thorough analysis with the differences between versions

any insight?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom