Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Am I gay?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The romans in the ruins part was just retarded, sorry, it threw the whole premise of realism out for me.

That part wasn't far fetched. Isolated Roman cults continued to persist in Britannia for centuries after the fall of the empire.

Saduj

Arcane
Agree with others who have said that the overland exploration was better in Conquistadors. The first time I hit the mainland in that one, there was definitely a sense of walking into the unknown.

I seem to be in a minority of one that thinks the setting was the best part of Vikings. I thought the large towns in particular were very well done. Thought the factions were portrayed very well outside of being the same in combat.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Been playing the Expeditions games on and off over the last month and the first thought I had a few hours into Viking was "Why the fuck isn't this game more popular on Codex of all places"? I almost created this thread again, good thing I checked.

Where else should be people sucking something like this dry, day and night? It's basically Fallout 1/2, only with Vikings and camping. Those are the only major differences, everything else is the same - overworld map with locations, party based, turn-based combat, fairly traditional character development and itemization, extensive quests with great amount of C&C, the works.

Not sure I liked more Conquistadors or this. I absolutely love the writing and vibe of both. Wonderful, exciting history instead of some retardedy about magical swords and evil wizards. Such fresh, much welcome.

Conquistadors were cool, problem is I was ready to move on half-way through. It was getting very repetitive. I guess I like Vikings more but the balancing in this game makes me wanna throw my keyboard through my closed window. The fights are like a pleasant stroll with occasional asshole ripping spikes. Enemy archers who instagib half of your squad through shields and cover on turn 1 are much appreciated, thank you Logic Artists, have a gold star.

Apart from that it's an absolute no-brainer for the resident isometricfags. Even I like it and I hate isometric RPGs.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
I find the game interesting but the combat feels a little dull. It's quite slow and didn't have much variety.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
To formulaic. Vikings and Brits are not interesting, just like with Civil War and nobody that interested in it outside US. Also I disagree with Avonaeon talking about "non-fantasy setting", the game felt like it was a fantasy one, or more like having that Hollywood feel with cliche characters and situations. Map and how exploration of it worked in the first one was way more interesting and gave you that feel of unknown. The romans in the ruins part was just retarded, sorry, it threw the whole premise of realism out for me. I liked the game, just wasn't anything special. It would have been cooler to focus more on the management side and make it more strategy/tactical not RPG-ish.

I don't agree, if someone made a decent RPG in the Civil War I could not stop masturbating, but Vikings .. ugh.

J1M

Arcane
  • Large open world
  • Turn-based combat
  • Branching quests and meaningful C&C
  • Skill check heavy dialogue
  • Nice story and worldbuilding
  • Good visuals and music
  • Relatively polished and bug free
  • 40 hours of content

Age of Decadence, Underrail, and Kingmaker have threads with over 500 pages. How the hell does this gloriously inclined CRPG, which has been out for over a year, only have an 18 page thread? It's criminal!
Slow combat that takes place on hexes.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game wasn't released on Linux, unlike it's predecessor.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Slow combat

Game currently features a speed slider that can drastically improve this issue. I know that because I had an issue with speedhack, raged about it, checked the options and realized CE was unnecessary all along. :lol:

Also, +1 from me on recommending this game. Setting is extremely well done. I loved the contrast between the more "traditional Christian" middle Kingdom vs the Christian-pagan sincretism of the scotts. Prime example of "show, don't tell".

As for "lacking fantasy elements", fucking lol. Popamoler detected.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Slow combat

Game currently features a speed slider that can drastically improve this issue. I know that because I had an issue with speedhack, raged about it, checked the options and realized CE was unnecessary all along. :lol:

Also, +1 from me on recommending this game. Setting is extremely well done. I loved the contrast between the more "traditional Christian" middle Kingdom vs the Christian-pagan sincretism of the scotts. Prime example of "show, don't tell".

As for "lacking fantasy elements", fucking lol. Popamoler detected.

Ah, I was kindda confused by the "slow combat" comment. So the speed slider was added only later, got it. It's p. amazing how devs still don't understand how essential is a speed slider for a TB combat.

Also the setting, yeah. Lol to people who can't play a game without pink ponies and magical fairies. The setting in both Expeditions games is awesome.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I loved combat in Conquistadores but I really disliked the overworld part of it. I think they streamlined that in Vikings, only the setting is a little less interesting. I definitely planned on playing it eventually, I just somehow never got around to it. Probably also because I am not quite sure my potato can run it.

However, since we are on the topic, it just so happens that the game is on a steep 60% discount in Steam right now, just saying.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Observation: It's not just Expeditions: Viking. Many decent RPGs don't get the attention they deserve on the Codex. What most of them have in common, I think, is that they're niche experiences instead of "full-scale" isometric RPGs. Blobbers, mission-based tactical combat RPGs, stuff like that.

Out of curiosity, would you care to mention some decent rpgs that don't get the attention they deserve?

Farewell into the night

Observation: It's not just Expeditions: Viking. Many decent RPGs don't get the attention they deserve on the Codex. What most of them have in common, I think, is that they're niche experiences instead of "full-scale" isometric RPGs. Blobbers, mission-based tactical combat RPGs, stuff like that.

Out of curiosity, would you care to mention some decent rpgs that don't get the attention they deserve?

Pretty please!

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since Avonaeon is clearly reading, I would like to ask: does the team at LA acknowledge the fact that the people with positive impressions of the game are the ones who didn't play it at launch and benefited more from patches? Is "more playtesting" high on the list for your next title?

Because my personal "what went wrong" boils down to the gameplay mechanics being lackluster until patches brought them up to standards. That's something playtesting can help with.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I nominate Star Traders Frontiers and Legends of Eisenwald. I also nominate Templar Battleforce but thats more of a tactical game than an RPG. But I still shill for it at every opportunity.

Edit: Come to think of it though, Vikings was pretty popular in our GOTY 2017 poll, so its not like nobody played it.

Modron

Arcane
I nominate Star Traders Frontiers and Legends of Eisenwald. I also nominate Templar Battleforce but thats more of a tactical game than an RPG. But I still shill for it at every opportunity.

Edit: Come to think of it though, Vikings was pretty popular in our GOTY 2017 poll, so its not like nobody played it.
Only 279 of the people who voted that year rated Expeditions Viking. Now those who did play it enjoyed it as demonstrated by Viking receiving the least amount of 1/4 ratings that year. It's criminally under played like Hammer and Sickle.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
But you are using absolute numbers, with about 30% of the people who voted its still one of the more played games in that poll. Only a couple of games were played by more people (and among them such masterpieces as Mass Effect: Andromeda, kek).

Beggar

Cipher
Because you know what I remember from my playthrough? Almost nothing. The definition of mediocrity

Starwars

Arcane
There's something to it though. I really liked both Expeditions games when I played them, especially the historical settings. The idea of them gets me really excited. And I enjoyed playing them. But unfortunately I don't find them particularly memorable at all.

Both of them faded really quickly from my memory after I was done with them.

Tigranes

Arcane
The setting and how it is executed is easily a big positive in both Expedition games. They have my trust to get historically inspired games done in a good way.

The issue with Viking is that it's a textbook RPG with all the RPG stuff in it, plus the survival/strategy-ish stuff from Conquistador, but the two parts don't gel together and neither part is very tightly built in its own right. Combat is OK. Exploration is OK. Quests are OK. You get a gazillion resources and time limit doesn't matter so survival gameplay is out the window. It's worth playing for the Christian/Pagan tensions and such, definitely.

Saduj

Arcane
I always thought these people had brass balls to make a conquistador game in the current political climate. I think an “Expeditions: Congo” or an expeditions game about explorers trying to find the source of the Nile would be very interesting because the location and time period are seldom used. But I can’t imagine anyone wanting to deal with the screeching coming from people who would never play the game anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom