Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Robert Kurvitz talks about writing Disco Elysium on GameSpot Audio Logs

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DE's "system" is extremely simple and you either die or get some sort of narrative reactivity from the outcomes. It's not at all like the complexity that's involved with an actual combat system.
So in your world, the countless people that enjoyed DE would have enjoyed it just as much if they saw a movie of someone playing through the game? 'k. And you ignored my example of The Stanley Parable, an even more simplistic game than you claim DE to be. Alright dog. Stick to pulling up texts and stalking people.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So in your world, the countless people that enjoyed DE would have enjoyed it just as much if they saw a movie of someone playing through the game? 'k. And you ignored my example of The Stanley Parable, an even more simplistic game than you claim DE to be. Alright dog. Stick to pulling up texts and stalking people.
The only difference is that you're not the one making the decisions. I can't even get invested in DE's story, so this doesn't matter to me.

Deleted Member 22431

People are going out of their way to just shit on the game,can't even praise the technical innovation the had brought in.

What innovation? Skills talking to you? This change is cosmetic.

Don't liking the game is one thing,there is plenty of chads here who just don't like it and move on.
It's a little bit more complicated than that. It's not only a matter of whether you like the game or not. You need to consider how insufferable are the fanboys praising the game to the heavens as if it was some awesum groundbreaking cRPG, and whether this should inspire other developers to do the same. I don't like pretentious people portraying themselves as more important than they actually are, I don't like linear games with no combat and I seriously dislike twitter inspired dialogue boxes. I don't want other games inspired in this nonsense. The idea was to improve traditional combat systems and reactivity, not make linear visual novels.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
how insufferable are the fanboys praising the game to the heavens as if it was some awesum groundbreaking cRPG,
:nocountryforshitposters:
In the last 3 months i have seen those "fanboys" mainly in the game's thread. But the 5 people that really hate the game are spilling all that garbage in the whole forum. So you are either dishonest or you simply didn't pay attention.

I don't like linear games with no combat and I seriously dislike twitter inspired dialogue boxes. I don't want other games inspired in this nonsense. The idea was to improve traditional combat systems and reactivity, not make linear visual novels.
Ahh if you don't want it then don't play it. Why should normal people hear your constant screeching about it? It is clear that it is a product not aimed at you. If there are people that like it,then it will sell well and we will see more of it. Your tantrums will not change that.

Deleted Member 22431

Ahh if you don't want it then don't play it. Why should normal people hear your constant screeching about it? It is clear that it is a product not aimed at you. If there are people that like it,then it will sell well and we will see more of it. Your tantrums will not change that.

Because this is a discussion about game design, what works and what doesn't, and this is the RPG Codex. This "take it or leave it" attitude is what we would expect from zombie casuals with no interest n game design. Now you act as if we should stop to do what we always do, which is in a way the very essence of this forum, just to spare the butthurt of DE fanboys.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Because this is a discussion about game design, what works and what doesn't, and this is the RPG Codex. This "take it or leave it" attitude is what we would expect from zombie casuals with no interest n game design. Now you act as if we should stop to do what we always do, which is in a way the very essence of this forum, just to spare the butthurt of DE fanboys.
Hmmm fair enough,tho most of the haters are just screeching incoherent garbage for the last three months and that got me a bit jaded on the topic. As long you have actual gripes with the game and the design,i could respect that. Not screech how the game is shit because somebody in the shoutbox that watched a youtube video of it once,told you. I have read enough retardation from people that don't even play RPGs any more tell me how the game is total shit,because muh they watched 10 minutes of it on youtube,and won't fucking shut up for the last 3 months.

Deleted Member 22431

Hmmm fair enough,tho most of the haters are just screeching incoherent garbage for the last three months and that got me a bit jaded on the topic. As long you have actual gripes with the game and the design,i could respect that. Not screech how the game is shit because somebody in the shoutbox that watched a youtube video of it once,told you. I have read enough retardation from people that don't even play RPGs any more tell me how the game is total shit,because muh they watched 10 minutes of it on youtube,and won't fucking shut up for the last 3 months.
But the haters are the only ones actually debating the merits of Kurvitz proposal, his inspiration on twitter, etc. If the enthusiasts are debating these issues is because they are reacting to the haters criticisms. Otherwise, they will simply repeat whatever the devs are telling them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But the haters are the only ones actually debating the merits of Kurvitz proposal, his inspiration on twitter, etc. If the enthusiasts are debating these issues is because they are reacting to the haters criticisms. Otherwise, they will simply repeat whatever the devs are telling them.
You could disagree with system and still like the game,and vice versa. Most people here dislike the system because they dislike disco,thus you can't have an honest argument with them about the system. Because their views are dogmatic and fanatical "everything disco is evil communist shit".

On the system...well it is not a twatter system lol,that thing where people look the most toward their right hand is not some new shit lol. At very least it is a common logic. Twatter affected more their style of writing,it made it more sharp,consolidated and to the point. Which meshed well with their UI text box. It felt more like a fast edgy dialogue than lore dumps. That is why people enjoyed the lot of words in this and not in the numanuma. In generally it is smart implementation of social knowledge,i don't see what is the problem with it. I personally prefer the big box in the middle of screen,but i also prefer reading books and walls of text on the codex over playing with the phone.

Black Angel

Arcane
First the communism thingy rustled many people's jimmies, and now association with Twitter? Who are the SJWs, again?

And here, I thought I could take refuge in the Codex without having to see people shitpiling on things based on very trivial circumstances :deathclaw:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
First the communism thingy rustled many people's jimmies, and now association with Twitter? Who are the SJWs, again?

And here, I thought I could take refuge in the Codex without having to see people shitpiling on things based on very trivial circumstances :deathclaw:
Well don't know about sjws,but i am pretty hardcore right wing individual and supreme racist. Tho i do get called sjw for liking the game by people that haven't even played it.....which are mainly liberals. I do believe that "we" could agree with the far left on at least one thing......that the liberals are the worst of the worst!

Deleted Member 22431

And here, I thought I could take refuge in the Codex without having to see people shitpiling on things based on very trivial circumstances
There is nothing trivial about it according to the dev himself. He wrote sentences in such a way they resemble the annoying nonsense you will find on social media, he changed the position of the dialogue boxes for the same reasoning.

Deleted Member 22431

Politician instead of beating around the bush and talking vaguely about that shit,why don't you just tell which aspects you don't like and why?
Instead of posting aggressive butthurt fanboy shit, why don’t you answer the criticisms that were made in this thread? Who gave you the moral high ground to turn the table around and demand for proofs when the developer himself made a fool of himself in his attempt to portray himself as a creative type?

Deleted Member 22431

DE dev: I wanted to make the writing and its presentation similar to twitter. This is so innovative.

DE critics: This is stupid.

DE fanboys: People are overreacting. Twitter has nothing to do with the game.

In other to defend the game, fanboys are dismissing the devs ideas.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Politician instead of beating around the bush and talking vaguely about that shit,why don't you just tell which aspects you don't like and why?
Instead of posting aggressive butthurt fanboy shit, why don’t you answer the criticisms that were made any in this thread? Who gave you the moral high ground to turn the table around and demand for proofs when the developer himself made a fool of himself in his attempt to portray himself as a creative type?
Are you a fucking retard?! I asked you for your arguments and opinion on the topic in the name of a normal discourse. You answer me with some nonsensical grandstanding retardation and personal insults. Go fuck yourself faggot!

Black Angel

Arcane
And here, I thought I could take refuge in the Codex without having to see people shitpiling on things based on very trivial circumstances
There is nothing trivial about it according to the dev himself. He wrote sentences in such a way they resemble the annoying nonsense you will find on social media, he changed the position of the dialogue boxes for the same reasoning.
Honest question: Is there anything wrong, at all, to you when playing the game, in aspect of UI and similar designs? Does it affect the way it plays for you?

Or do you only feel it's wrong *now* that they made public the Twitter inspiration?

And come on. Fanta is right here, the fact that Twitter has *anything* to do with the game doesn't really matter and critics are overreacting.

Deleted Member 22431

Are you a fucking retard?! I asked you for your arguments and opinion on the topic in the name of a normal discourse. You answer me with some nonsensical grandstanding retardation and personal insults. Go fuck yourself faggot!

:hmmm:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I hate Twitter, it's incoherent and full of stupid people. The fact devs used it for something good is impressive.
That being said, I didn't even register text position while playing, it was just so seamless.

I'm fairly certain 90% hate here derives from personal dislike of the writing.

It's not a simple high fantasy, or other mainstream RPG theme, so it's suddenly hard to get into.
It's also not written by a California soyboy, who's only life experience is ordering a gluten and dairy free latte.
And it lacks killing shit for the sake of killing.

I'm sorry, I thought this was Codex.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God people on the Codex are such faggots.
DE dev: I wanted to make the writing and its presentation similar to twitter. This is so innovative.

DE critics: This is stupid.

DE fanboys: People are overreacting. Twitter has nothing to do with the game.

In other to defend the game, fanboys are dismissing the devs ideas.
Where bitch? I responded to your posts and all I got was a rating. You should change it to,

DE "critics": I saw screenshots of the game but didn't play it so I'm gonna complain about a lack of widescreen support, make false claims that every character talks like they're tweeting, make false equivalencies, and so on.

I went back to page one to read through each of your posts to ensure I wasn't missing anything, and you never once gave any piece of analysis that was based on anything. Tard's gonna tard I guess.

The Bootymancer

Learned
Never understood people who think "reading sucks" and consider themselves a sentient beings.
Reading, and literacy generally, are communist ideas. Allowing the masses to read and misinterpret the Bible outside of the guiding hand of the priesthood lead directly to degenerate cults such as Mormonism and Marvel comics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom