Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Deakul

Augur
I'd say that the developers know what they're talking about, something tells me that your friend just needs to learn to read the room before GKing.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
But are they going to make it a regular fps instead of an arena shooter with 8 enemy limit and constant micro-interruptions ?

Probably not.

Jezal_k23

But are they going to make it a regular fps instead of an arena shooter with 8 enemy limit and constant micro-interruptions ?

Probably not.

I believe the enemy limit in Doom 2016's campaign is 15 monsters, not 8:

That said, now that the Doom Slayer is a lot faster and more lethal, this limit is likely to have increased in the sequel, but no one has exact numbers yet.

JDR13

Arcane
I believe the enemy limit in Doom 2016's campaign is 15 monsters, not 8

That's still pathetically low for a Doom game. :negative:

It's also kind of odd considering how well optimized the game was. I feel like it could have easily handled more than that.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

It's also kind of odd considering how well optimized the game was. I feel like it could have easily handled more than that.

Sure it is when compared to the majority of PWADS but it's not so low when you compare it to Doom 1, which is what it's largely based on. Besides, the balancing of the game prevents absurd amounts of monsters. Most demons are individually a lot more dangerous and agile than their classic counterparts so having 50 at a time would overwhelm the player. Now I would like to see more, especially towards the end of the game but I don't think more than 20 at a time is necessary.

Probably not.

Well Hugo mentioned they were going to adress the complaints about the arenas. The want to make arenas less obvious and one of their main goals is to make combat between them more interesting. Whether they succeed or not remains to be seen but he seems like an honest guy so I am inclined to believe him.

Jezal_k23

Yeah the classic maps are mostly broken due to how much stronger most enemies are now.

I do hope Eternal increases the limit.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Watched a 7 minutes footage. Graphics look... weird. The visual is schizophrenically busy yet lacking in atmosphere at the same time.

Jezal_k23

If anything it does look like the enemy limit is gone. The combat sequences have an overwhelming amount of stuff going on in them.

tritosine2k

Erudite
It just looks lightmapped with subpar particle fx.. More to do with UT than classic doom by the looks of it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's great to see so many esteemed RPG fans slurping on Doom Decline like it's worthy of lengthy debate. It just goes to show no matter how elite you think you are, you still end up eating shit at the end of the day just like everyone else.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sure it is when compared to the majority of PWADS but it's not so low when you compare it to Doom 1, which is what it's largely based on.

A lot of people compare every Doom product to the crazier levels from Doom 2 or all the add-on WADs and such. If you play the first episode of the original Doom, which was the shareware release everyone played back in the day, it's much more slow-paced with a more horror vibe a lot of the time. I still would say Doom 3 went in a more survival horror direction, but if you compare it to the original shareware episode it's muuuuuuuch closer than people act like it is. Slower with dark rooms and such at first, then more and more chaotic as it goes.

Even Doom 2016's frequent arena battle sections have some semblance of similarity to big "monster rooms" in the original episodes.

sullynathan

Arcane
One thing I picked up was that they removed crouch and the pistol because the shotgun is default, not that I care because I never used them.

The graphics look good, stop lying.

Last edited:

Curratum

I love how they're tripping over themselves to sell the game to the old guard, to people like me, but I feel absolutely no excitement watching this.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I also got the impression that there would be a lot more interruptions but one of the videos (forgot which one) mentioned that it was actually a lot more infrequent. I guess we'll see when it comes out.

Aside from GKs, I am a bit ambivalent about the art. One one hand, the hell sections really really capture that Doom feeling but on the other, it's a bit indulgent and I am sure that is intentional but the game could make use of some negative space. I think that after a certain point, more detail does not really make the game better. Everything is too round and beveled and has too much noise. It feels like they have an army of really talented artists who don't know when to stop. To me, the beauty of Id games comes more from the overall silhouette of the levels and using textures in new and inventive ways, not necessarily from adding more and more details. I kind of miss the spartan beauty of OG Doom and Arcane Dimensions. Not saying they need to copy those styles, but maybe they could learn a bit from them.

I feel like the first half of Doom 2016 had the right amount of detail, especially the second level. Sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to Doom.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
H6VZig5.jpg

JDR13

Arcane

Sure it is when compared to the majority of PWADS but it's not so low when you compare it to Doom 1, which is what it's largely based on. Besides, the balancing of the game prevents absurd amounts of monsters. Most demons are individually a lot more dangerous and agile than their classic counterparts so having 50 at a time would overwhelm the player. Now I would like to see more, especially towards the end of the game but I don't think more than 20 at a time is necessary.

I'd say it's loosely based on Doom 1 rather than largely. Still, if you go by the average number of monsters at any given time, the difference is significant.

I'm not saying it needs to match the numbers from the original games though. I'd just like to see at least slightly more monsters on screen and spread out more realistically as opposed to the arena style.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yeah err..

People still don't get what made the early FPS so good. Good, enjoyable movement. A sense of speed. This shit is slow. These killcam animations are the cancer of gaming and only slow everything down.

Also the art direction is a mess. Most FPS are going in the wrong direction.

Quake still shits on this.

Carpalone

Novice
Yeah err..

People still don't get what made the early FPS so good. Good, enjoyable movement. A sense of speed. This shit is slow. These killcam animations are the cancer of gaming and only slow everything down.

Also the art direction is a mess. Most FPS are going in the wrong direction.

Quake still shits on this.

You can't have a fast FPS and be on consoles.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not as fast as Quake or a modern indie like Amid Evil, but Doom 2016 is a fuck lot faster than most "AAA" shooters since Halo. Many console reviews even whined and complained about it and the newer Wolfenstein games because they were too hard to play with a controller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom