Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Deleted Member 22431

A well deserved win for Disco Elysium. Congratulations to the devs. You made a fine game, and with hard work.

I salute you, and hope to see more from you.

:salute:

And to all the haters.... LOL
fanboy.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Scarlet Grace got its mention. Play it people. It's a very good JRPG. You could do a lot worse.
What's good about it?
Ohh shit. I have to explain with words???

I like the combat system. It seems simple at first, but you quickly learn how important some systems are. Counters, interrupts, status effects and union attacks are super important and can help you win battles that seem unbeatable at first. You need to be thinking about what to do next turn. You can see what actions enemy units are going to take next turn. Union attacks happen when you defeat an enemy that has a turn between your characters, but the enemy also has the possibility to perform them on you. I enjoy the overworld map. There are no dungeons or towns per se. Everything is menu based, and I get a board game feeling from the whole thing. The character I chose has a decent story arc, but it isn't super amazing. It works. At least, he isn't a moron. I'm not sure about the other three that you can choose. Overall, it feels to me like the designers know what they wanted to do and set out to do it, no holds barred.

Trashos

Arcane
Underrail has a very good story, it sucked me in. And yes, exploration is part of the story, because the story is a mystery about how the setting came to be.

For the storyfaggots out there, just bear in mind that Underrail's story is not about emotional punches, that is not what it does. It is a mystery story.

You will also have to do a lot of fighting, just saying.

Disciple

Savant
Giving a cursory glance at the results breakdown of the poll, I could not help but notice that there is a fairly even split of people who rated Disco Elysium favourably (47.1%) and those who either gave it a poor rating (i.e., 1 or 2) or simply neglected the game altogether (52.9%).

I am aware that a good chunk of those who did not rate Disco Elysium are people who may end up playing (and enjoying) the game soon, but I will stick with such a division for the incoming analysis. I put them in the 'did not like DE' group for simplicity's sake. It's more of a 'fans vs not fans' affair rather than 'fans vs haters'.

I grabbed the raw voting data provided by Felipepepe and limited my brief analysis to the twenty most rated games overall. The other polled games were not taken into account.

The second thing that got my attention is that the "issue" people who rated Disco Elysium poorly (or did not play it) may have with the game seems to be specific to the game itself and not really tied to its popularity on the Codex. For instance, The Outer Worlds was the second game with the most votes overall. Of those who liked Disco Elysium, 57.2% of them also rated TOW, whereas only 43% of those who did not like DE rated TOW. However, the ratings of the former group gave The Outer Worlds an arithmetic mean of 2.35, while the latter's mean for the game is 2.59. The third most rated game (Greedfall) is also more popular among Disco Elysium fans, but the artithmetic means of the two groups are identical (2.6). Stygian, the fourth video game with the most votes, follows a pattern similar to The Outer Worlds: people who did not like Disco Elysium played it comparatively less, but also rated it higher. The only top ten game in popularity that would suffer a more or less noticeable downgrade were only the votes of the second group taken into account is Slay the Spire.

Some games like Bloodstained, Operencia, A Legionary's Life, Titan Outpost, or Legends of Amberland were not only more popular among the 'did not like DE' group, but also rated comparatively higher, especially true for the first two titles. Can't be arsed to do Bayesian averages for the whole thing, but going by raw arithmetic means, the top three games for those who did not like DE would be Bloodstained, Operencia, and Titan Outpost.

The third and last remarkable finding is that those who did not like DE rated more of the twenty most popular games with an arithmetic mean of 3 or higher than those who liked Disco Elysium. The 'did not like DE' crowd has five games with an arithmetic mean over 3.2, while Disco fans only have Slay the Spire in that range (apart from DE, of course).

The analysis above is quite simplistic and takes several assumptions for granted, but I think it reflects that the distaste for Disco Elysium does not necessarily equal a general dislike toward popular and/or new games.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Scarlet Grace got its mention. Play it people. It's a very good JRPG. You could do a lot worse.
What's good about it?

Brutally tough turn-based combat and innovative customization systems.

I don't think it's better than older Saga games but it's pretty interesting nonetheless, if you can suffer through the grossly unfair early game.

Deleted Member 22431

Yes, we know Kotaku can't recognize an RPG. What's worrying is to see the Codex falling down to the level of Kotaku.
It's the other way around. What is worrying is that Codex fell so low that even Kotaku can tell that our favorite cRPG of the year is not a cRPG.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Except for Operancia that I spent about 1h playing I didn't play any other RPG released in 2019... shit year for me.

V_K

Arcane
For the storyfaggots out there, just bear in mind that Underrail's story is not about emotional punches, that is not what it does. It is a mystery story.
Funny thing is, I just wanted to post in response to Black Angel that by "lack of direction" I mostly meant the lack of an overall mystery in Underrail's early game - the first 15 hours or so. Or, more exactly, the game does offer you some unanswered questions - but does not let you pursue answers, instead having you do chores for the SGS administration. Which really hurts it narrative in my view.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Now that the poll is complete and the planets have aligned, I can do this:

WUi4RhP.png
LOL at Disco getting the same percentage of positive votes as Deadfire.

Which only confirms that Dedfire is a decent game. It's up there in the "new classics" crowd.
Not just "decent", but one of the best RPGs of the decade. And the graph supports that.

Maybe some people got burned out by playing it on release (clearly they didn't learn their lesson from PoE1), but they added a great turn-based mode, extremely challenging boss battles and DLCs that add very interesting fights with traps, environmental damage and all those things missing from PoE1.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was expecting saltiness over DE, but not the levels of butthurt we have in this thread.

It will be interesting to see whether this year has any similarly controversial titles.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Well, all games have a story, except maybe super abstract stuff like Tetris. Doesn't mean it's elaborate

There are plenty, thousands of video games with no story at all. Vast majority of games of any genre in the first years and since then most strategy games, sport, simulators, "social", etc.

In regard crpgs, Darklands, Mount & Blade, Kenshi, Neo-Scavenger or most rogue-likes have no fixed narrative at all. Additionally there are some games with some sort of fixed story, but the limited sense of urgency -even Fallout time limit is not enough-, the amount and quality of non story-based content and the open exploration stimulate players to enjoy that secondary content as equal or more relevant for their experience than story.

You clearly have no idea what story means.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Politician is really getting annoying with all that butthurt spam.

You think so? I find it quite enjoyable.
It is getting on my nerves after 3 months of reading the same retarded shit form other idiots.
You can just ignore him, mate.
Ahhh i am not that thin skinned mate. I dislike ignoring actual posters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom