Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I generally take the view that the current implementation of VR is mostly very gimmicky, but RE 7 probably would have been an interesting experience in VR.

It's a shame they never ported the VR stuff to the PC.

Perkel

Arcane

Yeah, makes no fucking sense. I guess that Sony paid something for VR mode or something like that.
RE7 is the first and still the best game to show what VR can bring to game when developers focus on important stuff not on gimmicks.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, makes no fucking sense. I guess that Sony paid something for VR mode or something like that.
RE7 is the first and still the best game to show what VR can bring to game when developers focus on important stuff not on gimmicks.

Apparently Sony had (1 year?) exclusivity on VR, I think most people assumed it would come to PC after that ended.

Shame.

Ivan

Arcane
Gave this a spin. Loved the opening half of the game. Everything AFTER the Baker family is linear and classic RE drivel. Definitely worth it for the opening few hours. I gave madhouse a run through those first few hours and saw some cool shit. An interesting take on a "hard" mode that ought to be commended. Hopefully they flesh this out in the sequel and keep the hub based design through the entire campaign.

Keppo

Arbiter
So i have this game. Should i play normal or madhouse on first playthrough? It would be easier choice if i would be sure if i would do second playthrough, but i don't know if i will like the game enough to finish it on normal and then on madhouse again. Ehhshsc

Wunderbar

Arcane
Keppo play on normal. Normal is easy, but Madhouse introduces a lot of changes that were designed to catch already experienced players off-guard.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So i have this game. Should i play normal or madhouse on first playthrough? It would be easier choice if i would be sure if i would do second playthrough, but i don't know if i will like the game enough to finish it on normal and then on madhouse again. Ehhshsc
Normal, disable HUD. Trust me.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the Zoey DLC worth $7? I haven't played the main game yet, and I see the Chris DLC is free.
For whatever it's worth, I loved RE7, but after completing the main game I was satisfied and didn't even play through the free bonus side stories.

About RE7's ending
You fight like hell to escape the house and the family, and it's a long horrifying struggle, and you get to the end of that and it's like I made it. THEN there is a whole extra section in another environment fighting tar monsters and only then does the game properly end.
I won't say it wore out its welcome because it didn't, but I certainly wasn't starving for more at that point.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Zoe dlc is crap.

2 hours of punching molders on an engine not suited for a first-person melee combat. Survival? Horror? nah, you're just punching mold zombies, stabbing gators and spouting silly one-liners. This dlc also turned awesome Jack Baker into another boring mute mold zombie.

On the other hand "Not a hero" is great.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Amazing game, for the most part. It's pure Resident Evil up until the last couple of hours and then it turns into a below average FPS.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
RE7 was definitely a great experience. I remember it quite vividly, and yes, the game's atmosphere and bells and whistles tapered off and became abit stale towaerds the mid/final section of the game, true.

But man the beginning and mid game, holy fuck, that had me on EDGE most of the time, absolutely loved it, and waht a return to the franchise from RE6.

I hope RE8 has some gud stuff in store for us-

Deleted member 7219

I liked Resident Evil 7 all the way through. I hope 8 maintains the same atmosphere and tension without as much shooting as there was in the 'Not a Hero' DLC.

Zombra

Patron
Resident Evil hasn't been hardcore for 20 years, who cares at this point.
The point is the "game" isn't really there, at least in the case of Witcher 3/Cyberpunk/RDR2/Asscreed
You are asked to pay for a B-movie plot that lasts about 4 hours and is additionally padded with rote "activities" to push it up to 30-50 hours, mostly occupied with time fillers. You are better off watching an actual B-movie, or if you go that way, why not watch an actually good movie.
Since I'm just talking about RE7 at this point, I moved it to the other thread.

Speaking for myself here, I'm honestly not sure what "game" you are looking for. I know you weren't talking about RE games in that latest post, but since that's where the conversation started, that's what I'm bringing it back to.

So what do you want in a "game"? Is it searching for supplies? RE7 has you covered. Is it worrying about ammo? Check. Is it learning the map? Check. Is it experimenting with different weapons? Check. Is it walking back and forth using different keys to unlock new map sections? Check. Is it puzzles? Check. Is it boss fights? Check. All of this is in addition to the gorgeous environment, and the story and dialogue, which I did not find onerous or draggy in RE7. Of my 15 hours in the game, I'd guess that less than an hour was spent sitting watching the movie and the rest of the time was doing shit - and the shit that was done was not "filler". I found it all very involving.

Obligatory note, you can turn off the HUD in the game so that you actually have to use your eyes and ears to find items, manage ammo etc. I know "immersive" is a dirty word on the Codex but doing this makes the experience even more impactful.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I liked Resident Evil 7 all the way through. I hope 8 maintains the same atmosphere and tension without as much shooting as there was in the 'Not a Hero' DLC.

It's from the same team that made RE7 so I expect the same meticulous attention to detail in art, level design and puzzling. I just hope the game will be a bit longer and that it doesn't fizzle out in the last third (seems like a Capcom curse).

vota DC

Augur
Amazing game, for the most part. It's pure Resident Evil up until the last couple of hours and then it turns into a below average FPS.
Mostly agree but very very very few enemies. Not the number but the variety.

It has some elements that aren't pure Resident Evil but are good like jigsaw puzzles.

Also final levels seems.....awful to me, not just being FPS but you don't enjoy exploring them. It is a common issue in Resident Evil....in 2 you have majestics police station but after that disgusting sewers.
Resident Evil 4 had beautiful levels to see but were often ruined by tedious sections.

Resident Evil 7 has the worst enemy variety of the whole series. What is there, like three normal enemy types? It's like if you took the first Resident Evil, stripped out everything but the human zombies when it came to the normal enemies, and then made only one of specific zombie texture types the vomit zombies.

Quatlo

Arcane
Resident Evil 7 has the worst enemy variety of the whole series. What is there, like three normal enemy types? It's like if you took the first Resident Evil, stripped out everything but the human zombies when it came to the normal enemies, and then made only one of specific zombie texture types the vomit zombies.
Mosquito, sludge guy, big sludge guy, crawling sludge guy and recolors if I remember correctly. BORING
Not to mention you just shoot them in the leg and murderfuck them with pocket knife, which makes them hilariously non threathening.

Yeah its terrible, the game should be either split into different chapters/characters or just skipped the whole second half entirely, I just sprinted through the enemies ignoring them and blasting ones in the way with grenade launcher, I was so bored of it. Same thing happened in Alien Isolation, where last quarter you just blast through with consumables and flamethrower because you just want to finish the game and be done with it.

Deflowerer

Arcane

All fixed in RE Village.

vota DC

Augur
Exactly. I would even say 2
Insect, insect swarm
Molded, Molded with blade, slow crawling molded, quick molded, fat molded.

Mechanic wise variety is already awful, but if you add the fact that they look exactly the same it is truly terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom