Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Clearly you weren't here the first years I did this, when we had like 20 pages of fights about methodology, statistics, bayesian averages, etc...
I can't even imagine how those slugfests turned out.

FOL0Lx0.png

no 200 kills cause it was reworked/appeared later.

What's that ONE achievement you're missing?

Ahhh i am not that thin skinned mate. I dislike ignoring actual posters.

Weaponize the iggy button.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Clearly you weren't here the first years I did this, when we had like 20 pages of fights about methodology, statistics, bayesian averages, etc...

Everyone complains, but year after year it's still Felipe who does those polls (except sometimes others tries, like fanta)

So all that bitching isn't enough to actually do something

Lots of lazybrains

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

Everyone complains, but year after year it's still Felipe who does those polls (except sometimes others tries, like fanta)

So all that bitching isn't enough to actually do something

Lots of lazybrains
All bark and no bite.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Quite strangely all this current fuss about GOTY made me lay my eyes upon the infamous, disgraced and ashamed Pillars of Eternity 2. And to my surprise I kinda liked what I saw. Could that be it’s underrated?

Tigranes

Arcane
It's a good, not great, game that will strike your fancy depending on your preferences.

It just meant a whole lot of other things in the context of being a follow up to POE and everything that entails.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's better ever since they added the turn based combat :shittydog:
Yes and no.

Obviously, it makes the combat a lot better.
But it also makes the combat take MUCH more time. And the game is still filled with a lot of trash encounters - having to do trash encounters in TB mode is just a PITA.
Especially since even with everything set to max speed, some enemies are still to sooooooo slooooooooooooooowww.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Game of the Year
1st - Disco Elysium
2nd - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
3rd - Slay the Spire
1: RPG, but the rpg parts are puddle-deep.
2: Pretty sure this is not an rpg, it's a metroidvania. In fact, is it not quite literally a spiritual successor to the games that make up the latter half of that genre name?
3: This is definitely not an rpg, I don't know what people are smoking. It is apparently a good deckbuilder though.

So this was another year of no real competition for rpgcodex rpgoty. So same as every other year except 2015 when we had an amazing two(!!) candidates.

Would be interesting if next year we didn't have an rpgoty poll, just goty.

Thanks for your work felipepepe.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Game of the Year
1st - Disco Elysium
2nd - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
3rd - Slay the Spire
1: RPG, but the rpg parts are puddle-deep.
2: Pretty sure this is not an rpg, it's a metroidvania. In fact, is it not quite literally a spiritual successor to the games that make up the latter half of that genre name?
3: This is definitely not an rpg, I don't know what people are smoking. It is apparently a good deckbuilder though.

So this was another year of no real competition for rpgcodex rpgoty. So same as every other year except 2015 when we had an amazing two(!!) candidates.

Would be interesting if next year we didn't have an rpgoty poll, just goty.

Thanks for your work felipepepe.
It's ridiculous. IDK about Slay the Spire, but people butthurt over Disco making no fuss about a fucking platformer pretty much shows it's more about butthurt than legit critique.
No, it just confirms that this forum has SHIT taste. The fact that TW3, PF:KM, KC: D, Expedition: Vikings, and ATOM, among other games, are all higher rated than Underrail and AoD confirms this.
Sadly, there is truth in this. AoD is severely underappreciated, easily one of the best RPGs on the entire list.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Which only confirms that Dedfire is a decent game. It's up there in the "new classics" crowd.
No, it just confirms that this forum has SHIT taste. The fact that TW3, PF:KM, KC: D, Expedition: Vikings, and ATOM, among other games, are all higher rated than Underrail and AoD is further proof of this.

ATOM is awesome, what is wrong with you?
Also this taste is not shit, just generic. Also look at the Codex Top 100's first 10 titles and kill yourself.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Which only confirms that Dedfire is a decent game. It's up there in the "new classics" crowd.
No, it just confirms that this forum has SHIT taste. The fact that TW3, PF:KM, KC: D, Expedition: Vikings, and ATOM, among other games, are all higher rated than Underrail and AoD is further proof of this.

Also this taste is not shit, just generic. Also look at the Codex Top 100's first 10 titles and kill yourself.
Atom is good, so is the rest but AoD is just better. The unique setting and it's lore. Branching dialogues. Choices that matter. All the stuff you can learn about and do. Exploration with rewarding items to find. Multiple converging plots. Variety of builds. Complex combat with good AI. It has every cRPG aspect covered right.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Atom is good, so is the rest but AoD is just better. The unique setting. Branching dialogues. Choices that matter. All the stuff you can learn about and do. Multiple converging plots. Variety of builds.Complex combat with good AI. It has every cRPG aspect covered right.

I'm not arguing that AoD is a masterpiece (though a weird one), but ItsChon wrote SHIT taste and then ATOM, so I'm surprised.

Van-d-all

Erudite

Atom is good, so is the rest but AoD is just better. The unique setting. Branching dialogues. Choices that matter. All the stuff you can learn about and do. Multiple converging plots. Variety of builds.Complex combat with good AI. It has every cRPG aspect covered right.

I'm not arguing that AoD is a masterpiece (though a weird one), but ItsChon wrote SHIT taste and then ATOM, so I'm surprised.
Well, comparative ratings of AoD and Atom are just way off. It's a good game and I'd defend it to death, but come on. It's not even half as good in majority of above mentioned aspects, yet had a better rating, probably riding on pure Fallout nostalgia.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of the top ten games I have played only Slay the Spire, which I didn't expect to find in RPG Codex GOTY vote.
It's a solid deck building game, it's the only one of its genre I actually enjoy. It's also good for a session in
between, when you need a short break from the Deep Caverns. :cool:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yes, AoD is best CYOA
The cool part about AoD is that if you wanna play it as a cyoa, you can. (Join merchant guild)
But if you prefer, you can play it as almost pure combat game. (Join Imperial Guard)
If you are a gentleman of refined taste and skill, you'll aim for a middle ground.

Bloodstained has more RPG to it than a typical Metroidvania:
Ehhh, maybe? Metroidvanias have always had powerups and upgrades. I understand that bloodstained does it more freeform, with more sidegrades (as opposed to the 'standard' where you just find +100 hp or Silver Sword or whatever), but even so.
Mechanics of leveling up and other progression elements are also becoming so incredibly common that it should no longer be sufficient reason to call something an RPG if RPG is to be a meaningful grouping. I grow ever closer to realizing the wisdom of the codexers of old who boldly proclaimed that if it's real-time, it can't be an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom