Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Am I gay?

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The worse thing about the game is the unity engine, which was terrible on release and improved later (not enough to my liking but it's still alright).

Everything else is great, i liked their camping thing, i'm not the only one as it was copy/pasted by Owlcat for Pathfinder, except they removed the crafting part, which was the only interest of the whole thing.
Vikings could have used more enemy variety even without going too fantastic.

The best thing is none of the side-quest broke the immersion, most of it was related to the mission and all of it to the settings and they never forgot you were supposed to lead a group of vikings.

For that alone, Logic Artists deserve our respect.
I really hope they do it again, with an optimized engine.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The setting and how it is executed is easily a big positive in both Expedition games. They have my trust to get historically inspired games done in a good way.

The issue with Viking is that it's a textbook RPG with all the RPG stuff in it, plus the survival/strategy-ish stuff from Conquistador, but the two parts don't gel together and neither part is very tightly built in its own right. Combat is OK. Exploration is OK. Quests are OK. You get a gazillion resources and time limit doesn't matter so survival gameplay is out the window. It's worth playing for the Christian/Pagan tensions and such, definitely.

I thought both parts mesh together well. You need some resource juggling and party management to feed everyone, keep everyone safe, heal the injured (goddamn, was a fucking mess that was, constantly being injured by every single fart and the medicine consumption was through the roof), cook, craft, tinker, repair....I actually loved all this stuff. The balance was a bit off, for instance safety became a non-factor early in the game, starving dudes never die, crafting is overpowered (crafting is always a bad idea in any RPG, new gear is better distributed through loot) and you hardly ever need to repair stuff. But with a few tweaks it'd be perfect in my book.

Vikings could have used more enemy variety even without going too fantastic.

Yeah, that's always a problem with realistic RPGs (Kingdom Come same thing). Maybe toss in a few bears, better utilize the dream sequences where you fight the gods etc. Dunno, it's tough.

Tigranes

Arcane
You don't need resource juggling in this game even on higher difficulties. You easily get enough of everything to never worry. Unlike Conquistador, your voyages around the Isles are never perilous but pointless. (The time limit is also well nigh impossible to run afoul of, though many games opt for that for various reasons).

For whatever reason, you seem to have had a very different experience. I'm not sure how, as I played through couple of different difficulties and different builds, and I did it on Day 1 without meta spreadsheeting. And it's been too long for me to remember actual numbers or anything.

just

Liturgist
not roaming the country with your loyal harem of racist spaniard chicks
it's like you don't want to have fun

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

What? From what little I read about conquistador it seemed completely and utterly full of POZ, main reason why I skip it. Viking only fills the mandatory quota, thankfully.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
From what little I read about conquistador it seemed completely and utterly full of POZ

this goy

ask yourself what are the odds conquistador is full of poz if viking 'only fills the mandatory quota' whatever the hell that even means in newspeak

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What? From what little I read about conquistador it seemed completely and utterly full of POZ, main reason why I skip it. Viking only fills the mandatory quota, thankfully.

wot?

It's got women conquistadors you can recruit to your party when starting out, and that's about it.

Other than that, it lets you go full "exterminate natives for the glory of god" or "play out native tribes against each other for profit" mode.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Its your preference, would you rather kill natives for yahweh or thor.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Disregard stupid foids when you make your party and Conquistador is great fun for a play through. Not perfect by any means. Half the game is just a tutorial, graphics are horrible and the game nearly raped my old machine to death. Vikings I never played, what is it even about? I mean other than vikings that is?

Saduj

Arcane
You can’t even recruit the one female conquistador to start out. From what I recall, the women you can bring from Spain are non combat.

The is one female conquistador that you find early on
and she gets kidnapped and suffers undefined physical abuse
. And then there are two native women with combat abilities and that is about it.

Weird thing to get triggered over...

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's not a weird thing it's stupid cuck shit in the first place to let the player pick a foid commander and a party full of wahmen.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I never played conquistador, only Viking. And viking features stronk viking wahmen and a possible homo romance, hence the mandatory amount of poz is filled. Are you saying conquistador keeps poz on the same level? Because the screenshots featuring stronk wahmen (something laughable to anyone who ever read Cortez 's letters about the new world) are not encouraging.

"Racist" trait also stinks of shoehorning modern notions into a historical setting. Veritas ipsa is from 1537, almost two decades after Cortez 's expedition. And it's obvious that the Pope was reacting to the notions commonly held by his contemporaries, not stating something everyone "kinda knew".

In short: it's ludicrous to imply some "chosen" footsoldiers were sympathetic to the poor injuns while others were evul racists. Oh, and aztecs dindu nuthing, ofc. Let's ignore the thousands of injuns who sided with the Spaniards because European = nazi, injuns = tree loving hippies :roll:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
not this shit again

if you're clueless about the game, just shut up, holy fuck

Hernan Cortez said:
I in turn presented them with some things from Spain, which so satisfied him, that, when some other ships of the said Francisco de Garay arrived (of which I will make relation to Your Highness hereafter), the said Panuco sent me word that those ships were in another river, some five or six days' journey from that place, asking that I should tell him whether those who had come in them belonged to me, so that he might give them whatever they needed, and that he already had sent some women and chickens and other provisions.

"Women, chickens and other provisions". To give proper context: the above quote is within context of Cortez's relationship with a local Indian leader. The injun chief is eager to please Cortez by supplying the Spaniards with whatever they need, assuming the Spaniards he saw are actually under Cortez's command*. An this is not "bro-talk" between soldiers, this is taken from a letter in which Cortez is addressing his KING, ffs. In short: women = supplies for the army => a notion shared by Cortez, the King AND the Injuns that inhabited the land. \o/

Women are also mentioned alongside children, always within the context of "non-combatants" through the letters when Cortez describes Aztec cities. It's worth mentioning his tone is clearly one of admiration towards all the "marvels" he witnessed.

Now, ask yourself what are the odds that Cortez had fucking brain damage and conveniently "forgot" all the amazing women in his own ranks? That all the numerous times he mentions his captains by name on the letters and all those names just so happen to be male names, every single time, is just a fucking coincidence?

If you're clueless about 16th century history, just shut the fuck up.

*: they were not, but the Indian couldn't possibly know that. Garay was a moron who attempted to screw Cortez over and also tried to conquer injuns via brute force. He failed miserably on both counts.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I was primarily referring to this:

In short: it's ludicrous to imply some "chosen" footsoldiers were sympathetic to the poor injuns while others were evul racists. Oh, and aztecs dindu nuthing, ofc. Let's ignore the thousands of injuns who sided with the Spaniards because European = nazi, injuns = tree loving hippies :roll:

None of this is true of the fucking game, but hey, you saw a pic somewhere and then read some mouthbreather's post about it so I guess this makes you perfectly qualified to pull long-reaching conclusions out of your ass and pass judgement on it. Do continue.

Reinhardt

Arcane
"Even our women are better warriors than savages" is pretty raycist statement.

Saduj

Arcane
jesus christ the 'how many women are in this game?!?!?!?!' police again so fucking boring

There are a few you can recruit in Spain as non combat support chars (nurses, clergy). Or not if you find it ahistorical. No lady Spaniard Warriors.

There is one quasi conquistador you can get early game. I’m pretty sure you can turn her away specifically on the basis of her being a woman though. She does have some unique content and I’m not sure how it plays out if you dump her.

There is a native woman whose father will give to you as a bride and she fights with a bow. There is a woman from a mythological tribe of warriors who is a decent fighter. And there is a native girl (talking 9 years old or so) who probably serves some support role, I can’t remember.

So anywhere between 0 or maybe 6 (3 combat) if you find them all and have the right diplomatic status to recruit them and CHOOOSE to have them in your party, which will be around 16-22 chars total.

Edit: Oh and you might be able to make your unseen “main character” who never fights in combat a woman, I’m not sure if it even specifies.

Obviously even if you can easily play with zero women in your party even as camp slaves, it is a major problem that someone else you will never interact with in any way may be maxing out on female warriors because hurr durr muh feels or something.....

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can’t even recruit the one female conquistador to start out. From what I recall, the women you can bring from Spain are non combat.

My fresh memory says about half of the combat soldiers you can recruit are women. That's the only woke shit in the game tho, otherwise it's p. dark and cruel which is why it sticks out so much.

Saduj

Arcane

My fresh memory says about half of the combat soldiers you can recruit are women. That's the only woke shit in the game tho, otherwise it's p. dark and cruel which is why it sticks out so much.

Are you counting scholars, medics and clergy? You can take them all into combat but they aren’t combat focused and the medic is the only one that is worth it to bring. There are no Spanish women who are armored fighters, scouts or hunters, which is what I was referring to as combat characters. You can find one woman to fill each of those rolls though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Are you counting scholars, medics and clergy?

No, I specifically said soldiers. IIRC there are 10 you can recruit in Spain and 5 of them are women. Plus there's Isabella on Hispaniola.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom