Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What they uploaded is pretty big, unless you meant logo-less:
That is what I meant, yes. Thanks anyway, it's cool this way too.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i really hope they'll use edwin montgomery's fan soundtrack for this. i've spaced out to it many times and it's incredible

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
More screenshots!

EJbvHOmVUAAT-2a
EJbvHOlUcAAP11K

Looks sterile. The original is way more atmospheric.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm guessing those are early assets, so hopefully they'll improve them. i also really hope they'll pay attention to the ambient sound design, as that'll help boost the atmosphere. wasteland 2 had some very impressive soundscapes on the maps that was made even better with mark morgan's music

Darkzone

Arcane
More screenshots!

EJbvHOmVUAAT-2a
EJbvHOlUcAAP11K

Looks sterile. The original is way more atmospheric.
The original left more room for imagination. And the WL 3d looks sterile, because of the textures, the assets and lack of particle effects. Textures lack the erosion effects and normal and height maps (especially the terrain or ground looks flat). Then there's very few foliage and no stones on the ground (just texture painted). And the assets are stylized low poly as the trees show us. What i get from this, is that Krome Studios seem to have only worked with low poly assets and low resolution textures ( mobile devices or anime style or stylized artsy games ). Perhaps they aim at the board game look as indicated by the pions of Ranger, Rats and Wastelanders? Overall this is no deal breaker for me and it will run even on potatoes and mobile devices. But it could have been more, especially more atmospheric.
You need only compare it to the Atom RPG running on ruskie vodka power to see this.

ADL

Prophet
Looks alright but they should've given this to backers for free like they did with the Bard's Tale trilogy.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Different circumstances. Also the BT:Remaster was not their idea... Heineman suggested it, and had the source code for it. It was announced, but later the rushed agreement fell through, and they had a falling out that resulted in Krome taking over the project. Krome did a superb job on the game(s).

JDR13

Arcane
Cool, now I can finally see where it all started. I tried the original, but it was already extremely dated by the time I got around to it, and I never finished it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Cool, now I can finally see where it all started. I tried the original, but it was already extremely dated by the time I got around to it, and I never finished it.

I hated the ridiculous random encounter rate of the PC version when I attempted to play it about 10 years ago . Take one step forward - POP! Random encounter. Two steps backward... COMIN' RIGHT At YA! Random encounter. Do a little dance and step sideways -- guess what? Yep. Random encounter. This was a huge problem I had with the original Bard's Tale 3 release that forced me to rage-quit. The remastered version by Krome corrected the problem and made the game enjoyable, at least until I got bored by the game's original design. I fully expect the same with the remastered Wasteland. I originally attempted to play Wasteland on my C64 around 1990 but was stymied by the difficult (to a kid at least) puzzles and couldn't seem to progress. But I'm a lot wiser now (or dumber, depending on how ya see things) and feel confident it will be fun this time around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It will be interesting to see what in the gameplay they do change. It looks like the massive UI overhaul I hoped for is out of the picture.

Saduj

Arcane
I originally attempted to play Wasteland on my C64 around 1990 but was stymied by the difficult (to a kid at least) puzzles and couldn't seem to progress. But I'm a lot wiser now (or dumber, depending on how ya see things) and feel confident it will be fun this time around.

When I played this on the C64 as a kid, my disk got corrupted. And now that you mention it, the constant random encounters probably played a role. The C64 floppy drive wasn’t exactly a technical marvel and this game had it going constantly.

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

EJbvHOlUcAAP11K
EJbvHOlUcAAP11K

What are those black circles underneath the models? Are they supposed to resemble a figurines?

Farewell young Prince into the night

I love how companies think that remastering classics means slapping a bunch of bloom and post-processing effects on top of their latest mobile-esque midnight bowel movement. beAMdoG was the harbinger of remaster-decline and this seems like more of the same.

I'm not sure which one I hate more, the Gothic "remake" abomination or this.

...actually, yeah nevermind - the Gothic one is WAY worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-remastered-drops-february-25

Wasteland Remastered Drops February 25

c84f3a_db96bbd561ac4aff84322c54d9c938ea~mv2.webp

The RPG classic rises from the nuclear ashes on February 25 for Windows (Steam, Windows Store, GOG) and Xbox One (also available with Xbox Game Pass).

Wasteland Remastered is an overhaul of the 1988 title that brought the post-apocalypse to video games. The Remastered title brings new graphics, audio, music, and digitizes the physical paragraphs book from the original with brand new artwork.

c84f3a_504f1b2afebb4d2bb5a86aafcd611475~mv2.webp
c84f3a_e97c449b764e4eea807c2e53d0f92458~mv2.webp

Comparisons to the original Wasteland from pre-release build of Wasteland Remastered.

Our development partners at Krome Studios have gone to great lengths to overhaul the sights and sounds of the original, while staying true to the intentions and design decisions.

Experience the 1988 classic in Wasteland Remastered on February 25!

This one is new I think:

c84f3a_504f1b2afebb4d2bb5a86aafcd611475~mv2.jpg

JDR13

Arcane
Anyone else think it's a little odd that with only a month till release they still haven't shown any in-game footage?

I want to see what they've done as far as animations are concerned, but I'm starting to suspect there aren't any.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
ZO2chhA.jpg

Looks like they really use some blurry post-processing intentionally, probably to make it look painterly or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom