Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic I DID IT!!! (Old: I just can't seem to finish Might and Magic VI)

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Because 60+ hours games are a mistake. 20-40 hours is an optimal length, cause even a great gameplay loop like M&M6 becomes boring after 40 hours.

I wish RPGs were a tighter experience, and instead of pouring all the 80 hours of content and trashmobs into one playthrough, they actually made some class/choices gated content for multiple playthroughs.
Wholeheartadly agree. This is why I can't get into huge open world RPGs. I don't play shit like Oblivion and Skyrim, I couldn't even finish The Witcher 3 for fucks sake. And M&M6 seems a bit on the long side too, but I will finish it in short breaks.
The solution for Witcher 3 is to only play like a third of the side quests.
Such a playthrough takes only 50 hours then.

Pearass

Educated
Others have already mentioned this, but there's absolutely no reason to feel bad about about not enjoying a game - especially if you appreciate the things it did well! Sometimes, the pieces just won't click for whatever reason. It happens, and forcing yourself through it will probably just make you resent it.

This happened to me when playing through King's Field for the first time. I was probably 14 at the time, and I just could not enjoy it. Everything was way too dark, I had no idea what was going on, etc. I knew it was super influential, and so I wanted to get through it for posterity's sake. But I put it down, and didn't try again for another 3 years. After, the pieces clicked. But if I forced myself to finish it that first go, I might not have been able to enjoy it now.

All the best my friend!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I tried Castle Darkmoor again, now that I leveled up a few. Everything went alright. Ogres at the beginning, killed the fuckers. Oh there are liches now. Have no worry, I can slice them up in a few rounds. Then ... then I saw horror itself. Jesus Christ there are enourmous caves down there choke full of ogres, liches, and fucking flying eyes! Flying eyes!!!!!! They can decimate me in an instant and can go through walls!!!!!! So my party was forced to flee again! But I will return you bastards!

Aemar

Arcane
Flying eyes!!!!!! They can decimate me in an instant and can go through walls!!!!!! So my party was forced to flee again! But I will return you bastards!
Most annoying type of enemy in the game, that's for certain.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I almost finished this guys. I've just entered Tomb of VARN, and after I finish that, I think I only have to get the laser weapons and kill the Reactor and Demon Queen at the Nexus. But since I can easily kill a Blue dragon or a Supreme Titan, I don't think anything else will make this few hours difficult.

Oh, about Supreme Titans. These are the most annoying enemies in the game, with their Instant Death spell. It's bullshit. This is the reason why I didn't clear out Paradise Valley 100%. The whole map is crawling with Supreme Titans, but it doesn't have any dungeons or interesting places. So it just boils down to: attack titans, hack up a few of them, then retreat because they start to One Hit kill my characters. Go to temple, ressurect, go back to titans. Rinse and repeat. It's terrible. So I decided to skip that map, I don't think I have to get stronger to finish the game.

By the way, this game is a prime example of not using level scaling in the right way. It's great that there are places which are too difficult for your party, so you can choose to ignore it until you get stronger, or you can sweat blood, crawling yourself through it, finding great loot and speeding up your levelling.

And even if you run away from a difficult dungeon, when you get back to it after leveling up, oh man it feels great to just tear through the enemies which gave you a hard time before. I complained about Castle Darkmoor previously. I had a hard time with it, so I went and did other places first. Then I got back to it, a bit overlevelled. Jesus, it was a massacre. Even with the Eye monsters dispelling my buffs, it was a bloodbath. It was funny, I made up a little story in my mind as I cleared one room after another, that the monsters were fleeing in terror, because 4 murder machines are destroying their quiet little life. It felt so great.

So yeah, fuck level scaling in other games, this is how RPGs should be done.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Ladies and gentlemen, by biggest gaming achievement from the last couple of years.
2piEL9B.png

I will wear this as a fucking badge of honor. I wanted to finish this game for at least a decade, and finally I managed to gather the time and determination to do it. Fantastic game, really fantastic. And now I have to rest, my old body can't really take these long gaming sessions anymore.

jackofshadows

Magister
Oh, about Supreme Titans. These are the most annoying enemies in the game, with their Instant Death spell. It's bullshit.
Yeah, that's the reason why they did include counter-spell since mm7 (requires GM in body magic tho, so it's kinda restricting for party creation if annoyance is not desired)

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
With Titans you have two methods, either point black shrapmetal in turn based, or blaster spam in realtime with haste. I recommend blaster spamming and trying to dodge their shots.

Congratulations on your achievement, M&M 6 is such an excellent game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Now play again to see if you can beat that high score. 14218 is good, but could be better.
I think I won't be playing this game ever again. It was great, but I have so many games on my backlog, I want to play those too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom