Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

RuySan

Augur
The Spectrum next, unlike all other hardware kickstarters looks like a great a idea, and there's some respectable programmers of the time on board. I wish someone did the Amiga Next. Fully compatible with the old one, and offering new functionalities.

Luzur

Good Sir
The Spectrum next, unlike all other hardware kickstarters looks like a great a idea, and there's some respectable programmers of the time on board. I wish someone did the Amiga Next. Fully compatible with the old one, and offering new functionalities.

Spectrum games are shit though. But yeah an Amiga Next would be swell

RuySan

Augur

Spectrum games were mostly shit due to the design of the time, not the capabilities of the system (although colour clash was always a serious issue) but there was many, like Jetpac, Atic Atac, Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner who are still fun and playable today. If this new system eliminates the colour clash issue, it's possible to make some great games with those aesthetics. ´

Luzur

Good Sir
79118634_10206963898411308_2587899331222700032_n.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir

Spectrum games were mostly shit due to the design of the time, not the capabilities of the system (although colour clash was always a serious issue) but there was many, like Jetpac, Atic Atac, Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner who are still fun and playable today. If this new system eliminates the colour clash issue, it's possible to make some great games with those aesthetics. ´

Ive had a real ZX Spectrum 48k computer some years ago, and i played games on it, but i still think those games would have been better on C64.

RuySan

Augur

Fake advertising. Every Amiga shop I went only had smelly nerds.

Ive had a real ZX Spectrum 48k computer some years ago, and i played games on it, but i still think those games would have been better on C64.

I never had a C64, but I still think ZX SPectrum graphics have a particular charm and you can tell them apart right away, specially when checking conversions comparisons in the 8bit years.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The C64 had better sound, but the colours were so drab and washed out that it was depressing, compared to the vibrant colours of the Speccy, colour clashes and all.
I remember gaming mags often saying that the gameplay of various games were better on the Speccy, but being British they may of course have been partial.

Luzur

Good Sir
The C64 had better sound, but the colours were so drab and washed out that it was depressing, compared to the vibrant colours of the Speccy, colour clashes and all.
I remember gaming mags often saying that the gameplay of various games were better on the Speccy, but being British they may of course have been partial.

i think the washed out thing was because people usually had their C64's plugged into a TV, i experienced that with a good "supported" Commodore monitor (later versions, like 1940 or 1942) you get very crisp colors and gfx.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Custom color palettes completely corrected that issue for me, on C64 emulation at least. For example, I was annoyed that reds were never really red for me. They were kind of light brown or sometimes rust. I wanted deep red like something out of a Dario Argento horror film. Some friendly soul over on the english amiga board created a custom palette for me. Now it was TOO fucking deep red and looked like I had cut myself and arterially sprayed all over my screen. I ultimately just used the one that he used with his $1000 crt displays.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
RIP Charles Ingraham "Chuck" Peddle, at the age of 82.

He's the creator of the 6502 microprocessor and the Commodore PET, the precursors to the "Bread Box" (C-64) and passed away on December 15th.

We would not be here were it not for him. :salute::salute:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
RIP Charles Ingraham "Chuck" Peddle, at the age of 82.

He's the creator of the 6502 microprocessor and the Commodore PET, the precursors to the "Bread Box" (C-64) and passed away on December 15th.

We would not be here were it not for him. :salute::salute:

My brother extolled the virtues of the 6502 way back when and tried to get me to read Rodney Zaks books to learn how to code. He literally thought that the 6502 was all the processor anyone would ever need and people should concentrate on software from now on because hardware had reached its limits. lol.

Luzur

Good Sir
aoh_01.jpg
aoh_02.jpg

aoh_03.jpg
aoh_04.jpg

The Age of Heroes (C64)
aoh_logo.png

** NOW AVAILABLE - CLICK HERE TO ORDER! **
[CLICK HERE TO BUY THE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD FROM ITCH.IO!]

Return to the days of high adventure in THE AGE OF HEROES, a fantastic arcade fantasy epic from the team that brought you the acclaimed C64 sci-fi hit release Organism. Choose your warrior from the title screen and then hack and slay your way through over a dozen exquisitely detailed landscapes, slaying assorted beasts and monsters that confront you during your quest to defeat an ancient evil that has returned to your lands.

aoh_01.gif

THE AGE OF HEROES is NOW AVAILABLE to order from Psytronik Software in standard cassette format, a special clamshell tape edition (limited to 50 copies), budget C64 disk, premium+ C64 disk and as a special Collector's Edition box set featuring the game on disk, soundtrack CD, artwork poster, keyring, badge, stickers + more! Click HERE for details of how order the physical versions or click HERE to buy the digital download.

aoh_02.gif

** FEATURES **
• Stunning presentation
• Epic boss battles
• 15 lands to fight through
• Atmospheric soundtracks
• Bonus music demo

aoh_03.gif

** CREDITS **

Programmed by Achim Volkers

Graphics & Design by Trevor 'Smila' Storey

Music & SFX by Saul Cross

Packaging artwork by Trevor 'Smila' Storey

Additional packaging design by Jason 'Kenz' Mackenzie

Published by Psytronik Software

aoh_04.gif

l
** NOW AVAILABLE - CLICK HERE TO ORDER! **
[CLICK HERE TO BUY THE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD FROM ITCH.IO!]
http://www.psytronik.net/newsite/index.php/c64/108-heroes

Luzur

Good Sir
atlantis_logo.png

** NOW AVAILABLE! **
[DIGITAL DOWNLOAD NOW AVAILABLE FROM ITCH.IO!]

Stuart Collier & Trevor Storey have teamed up once again and have recruited the musical talents of Saul Cross to bring you ROCKY MEMPHIS - THE LEGEND OF ATLANTIS. Explore the ancient temple ruins on a quest to find the secret of the lost city of Atlantis! Use all your cunning and skill to search the rooms in the temple for clues, useful objects and hidden switches. Watch out for the deadly inhabitants of the temple including bats, scorpions and lethal boobytraps!

atlantis_01.gif

THE LEGEND OF ATLANTIS will be released in the following formats for the C64:-

The COLLECTOR'S EDITION will be presented in a stunning fully printed glossy box that contains the game on floppy disk, artwork stickers, a deluxe art card, badges, glossy game artwork poster and a detailed printed map.

The PREMIUM PLUS DISK EDITION of the game is presented with full colour double-sided artwork in a clear plastic disk case.

The BUDGET DISK EDITION features a 5.25" floppy disk presented in a full colour glossy disk-sleeve with a glossy disk label and printed instruction booklet.

The C64 TAPE EDITION features the game on cassette tape presented with a glossy full colour double-sided tape inlay.

atlantis_03.gif

** THE LEGEND OF ATLANTIS STORY **

For centuries men have searched for clues to the once great city of Atlantis. But in the heart of Africa, in the centre of a dried inner ocean the last remaining temples of Atlantis have remained. Water now replaced by sand, hidden from man for thousands of years. Yet on the other side of earth, in the new world lie clues waiting to be discovered. Clues that point the way to a temple in North Africa and possibly the path to Atlantis.

atlantis_04.gif

** THE LEGEND OF ATLANTIS FEATURES **

· Lots of screens to explore
· Detailed hi-res graphics
· Atmospheric music
· Cunning traps and puzzles to solve
· Lots of objects to collect and use

· Intro & end sequences
· SD2IEC compatible

· PAL and NTSC compatible

atlantis_05.gif

** THE LEGEND OF ATLANTIS CREDITS **

Coding by Stuart Collier
Game Design & Graphics by Trevor Storey
Music by Saul Cross
Packaging Artwork by Trevor Storey

atlantis_06.gif

atlantis_logo.png

** NOW AVAILABLE! **
[DIGITAL DOWNLOAD NOW AVAILABLE FROM ITCH.IO!]

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Finally found an emulator friendly working copy of Deathlord for the C64 (the version linked works). I played the hell out of this game back in the day, but haven't touched it since. This game was 80% Ultima 3, 15% Wasteland, 5% I don't know what. Permadeath, always one wrong move away from game over. Remember backing up my char disk fairly regularly. A nice treat to play this with save states, as I could never finish the game - furthest I made it was to level 20 and everything was easy or impossible. Couldn't quite find the next place.

Including video of the Apple II version as I couldn't find a video of non-obnoxious people talking over the C64 game. This one is just the game, but the C64 version is better and worth playing for a C64 RPG masochist enthusiast.

The keys are not the same as Ultima IV - especially common functions like T - talk, which is repalced with O - orate.

Link to manual. You'll need it to get off the ground. Not your typical char classes, but a nice change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom