Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They abstained because Felipepepe turned the GOTY polls in a poor excuse to include whatever obscure shitty game he wants to promote

B-b-but how dare you exclude genuine RPGs such as "Mystery Valley X: Rise of the Pink Princess" or "Sailor Crusader: The Attack of the Pink Anuses" :rpgcodex:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Was PoE 2 really that controversial? I thought most generally agreed it was an improvement over the first game gameplay wise.

It's hard to call it an actual improvement when they did nothing about the bizarre core systems which made the first game unfun.

Instead, they only masked the problem with minigame bloat and eye candy.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was PoE 2 really that controversial? I thought most generally agreed it was an improvement over the first game gameplay wise.

It's hard to call it an actual improvement when they did nothing about the bizarre core systems which made the first game unfun. Instead they focused on adding minigame bloat and eye candy such as better explosions and cape physics.

I found the first game about as fun as watching paint dry, but actually enjoyed the 2nd one somewhat. Sawyer's over obsession with balance felt somewhat less present.

I tend to agree with Roxor's conclusion of "Pretty Alright".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The post-Renaissance drought
Was two decades ago and lasted a few years at most. Why are you people still bitching about it? Also today we get more interesting games than we could play. Haven't you seen how many people are saying that they didn't play anything because of their backlist? You can't have a drought when you have 5 year backlist!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Admit that Fluent hijacked your account.
Are you saying that we don't get good rpgs in the last decade? Are you saying that games like AoD,ATOM,Underrai,Battle Brothers,Kingmaker,Operencia,ELEX,Expeditions,ShadowRun etc etc are not good enough? Every year we get one great game and a few good ones,sure there is difference in taste,but still we do get good RPGs frequently enough.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Most titles on that list are mediocre to me. ELEX is a janky console RPG. Battle Brothers is good. ATOM is good (?) if you think a sterile copy of Fallout is good. Age of Decadence is... very specific so Idk. Kingmaker would be good if they hadn't destroyed it with Kingdom Management. Operencia... what the fook is that... Expeditions is fairly decent I suppose. Shadowrun varies from one to another, but overall is pretty meh. Underrail is perhaps the only true classic there. And you are right that we get one great game per year at most.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrail is easily a classic, anyone that says otherwise is a cocksucker. AoD is great, but I wouldn't give it classic status for one reason or another. It just doesn't quite speak to me like other RPGs I'd consider to be classics.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
From now on, GOTY polls should be restricted to accounts that are a minimum of 10 years aged on the codex.
I don't think so. A better idea would be to have a vote which would select a trusted group of individuals as a council. Said council would consist of about 5-9 people, and they would vote in people that would be allowed to vote on the GotY polls and the Codex Top 100 polls. We would get some real incline there.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
From now on, GOTY polls should be restricted to accounts that are a minimum of 10 years aged on the codex.
I don't think so. A better idea would be to have a vote which would select a trusted group of individuals as a council. Said council would consist of about 5-9 people, and they would vote in people that would be allowed to vote on the GotY polls and the Codex Top 100 polls. We would get some real incline there.
First qualification: People who can maintain a healthy erection for more than 5 minutes.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
First qualification: People who can maintain a healthy erection for more than 5 minutes.
I wouldn't let it go either, but at this point I've forgotten what you would insult me with before I made this thread. Was it just the generic faggot, or something else?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Again, arguing for few "classic RPGs" is for narrow-minded idiots who only respect mega hits like Skyrim and Witcher 3.

If that's your count, then I still think you are thinking of the genre as a single monolith with a singe player base.

If you like blobbers, then Grimoire and Legend of Grimrock II are really amazing. If you like Action-RPGs, you get Nier, Nioh, Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. If you want Infinity Engine clones, go play Pillars or Pathfinder. Roguelike fans got ToME, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, NEO Scavenger and Brogue. Diablo fans got path of Exile and Grim Dawn. If you like Fallout, you have Underrail, AoD and ATOM, and so on... a game doesn't have to be loved by everyone for it to be a new classic for a certain niche or sub-genre.

:roll:

But it was you who included "new classics" categorization in the graph.

Why do you did this conceptual jump to "sub-genres"? We were talking about your categorization of some games as "new classics" in a codex canon that obviously "exist" (it's as simple as the average of codexers personal canons, without points, competition nor academical eagerness to exhaustivity). But codex classics weren't accurately tested by GOTYs or the last TOP 101, narrow and very limited competitions.

Why we should worry about different subgenres talking about codex canon? If codex canon totally ignored rogue-likes, blobbers. real time combats or diablo-likes, that wouldn't make it less precise. If the codex average opinion about THE 50 classics or must-play ignore a game that you,I or other 50 codexers like, that would be totally ok, because that's an average, it's not about equanimity nor exhaustivity.

However I'm pretty sure that a simple codex average "50 titles" canon would be much, much more exhaustive tham top-101 list.
You are the one who are making a huge conceptual jump, thinking that I'm doing this GOTY to form a Codex canon, not to show the best games that came out. Or that "new classics" mean "must-play for every single Codexer". Again, Legend of Grimrock II is one of the best RT blobbers I ever played as was very well-received, it makes no sense to call it a new classic just because the sub-genre is not very popular in the Codex. I want to find excellent games and hidden gems, not conform to a hivemind.

OK, let's follow this argument. In the Top 100 list, out of the isometric RTwP games PoEs rank #9 (if I counted correctly, I have not played everything on the list). #9 within its very specific genre. Again, not a classic.

(also no, PoEs are not "must-play". What would I have missed if I had not played PoE1? Nothing. I will only change my tune if they prove influential -in a positive manner. It is too early for that, but I do not see what they can prove influential about)
Only time can tell what's a true classic, PoE2 didn't even have all DLCs or the turn-based mode when we made the voting. And it still scored very well, much better than PoE1, which I agree is not a must-play.

Still, the point is that we had 3 very well-received infinity engine clones in the past decade, 2 of which can be considered "new classics" according to that big graph. Your main argument is "I arbitrarily decided that a sub-genre cannot have more than X classics". K', I disagree.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Most titles on that list are mediocre to me. ELEX is a janky console RPG. Battle Brothers is good. ATOM is good (?) if you think a sterile copy of Fallout is good. Age of Decadence is... very specific so Idk. Kingmaker would be good if they hadn't destroyed it with Kingdom Management. Operencia... what the fook is that... Expeditions is fairly decent I suppose. Shadowrun varies from one to another, but overall is pretty meh. Underrail is perhaps the only true classic there. And you are right that we get one great game per year at most.

Oh, the edge. Why do people on the Codex feel a need to be so negative about things that are actually good and new?

Elex is as much a console RPG as Gothics were. It's an old Piranha Bytes game with a fresh coat of paint. Plus a more interesting world instead of a bunch of fantasy cliches and a storyline that actually goes somewhere.
There is nothing sterile about Atom. While staying close to the Fallout formula, it adds a unique Post-Soviet atmosphere and a completely different set of cultural influences.
Age of Decadence has it all: an interesting story, well written dialogues, mutually exclusive paths and plotlines, good combat, interesting character progression... it takes a blind man to miss this gem.
Shadowrun Returns was pretty basic, true, but Dragonfall and Hong Kong rose above those humble foundations and managed to mix diverse and interesting missions, decent combat, interesting storylines. They're not great, but pretty solid at what they do.
Underrail is a fucking classic and even you acknowledge that.

Didn't play Kingmaker and Expeditions yet, but I am looking forward to. I might pass on Opercencia though. Never enjoyed blobbers with the sole exception of M&M 6-8.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,i get you mate. I too will feel pretty droughty if i didn't play RPGs any more.

I don't get it,why do we have so many people that played two games 30 years ago and fancy themself RPG fans/players/experts? That is like all the candy crushers out there calling themself gamers lol.

Trashos

Arcane
OK, let's follow this argument. In the Top 100 list, out of the isometric RTwP games PoEs rank #9 (if I counted correctly, I have not played everything on the list). #9 within its very specific genre. Again, not a classic.

(also no, PoEs are not "must-play". What would I have missed if I had not played PoE1? Nothing. I will only change my tune if they prove influential -in a positive manner. It is too early for that, but I do not see what they can prove influential about)
Only time can tell what's a true classic, PoE2 didn't even have all DLCs or the turn-based mode when we made the voting. And it still scored very well, much better than PoE1, which I agree is not a must-play.

Still, the point is that we had 3 very well-received infinity engine clones in the past decade, 2 of which can be considered "new classics" according to that big graph. Your main argument is "I arbitrarily decided that a sub-genre cannot have more than X classics". K', I disagree.

YOU decided arbitrarily that PoE2 is a new classic. If you think that my argument is arbitrary, what does that mean for *your* argument? I followed your line of thinking in my answers ffs.

Sòren

Arcane
disco elysium is my favrite rpg game. u can have combats with chairs and that chink that i actually know nothing about is my best bro. i actually had to think about if i go for 3/3/3/3 for int/psych/phys/mot or 3/3/3/3 for mot/int/psych/phys because is makes so much difference in my roleplaying experience (like in skyrim where i have to choose if i get master of warriors or mage guild first).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom