Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #41: begun the closed beta has

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
please consider me as well when you find yourself with empty spots on the weekend

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller I assume beta testers are allowed to upload gameplay footage to YouTube?
I asked them not to as some animations need to be replaced (probably 2-3 weeks).

PS. Infinitron Maybe it's just me but I rarely watch gameplay videos and thus don't really care about this marketing aspect. Still, I do recall that you've been asking for a gameplay video for a while, so maybe I will record one when I have time.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
All I can say for now is that it's a really enjoyable and challenging combat demo. I haven't died in the first fight but currently I'm stuck fighting a guy who can one shot me + his two companions with machine guns who on average are even more devastating and more often than not can kill me in 1 turn even when I have energy shield :D. I'm playing on a laptop currently and using a touchpad (I'm out of my hometown currently) and the game has good performance on a non-gaming, 4 year old notebook (I have Dell Inspiron 5558-3642 with NVIDIA GeForce 920M, Intel Core i7-5500U, 8 GB RAM and a 1366 x 768 display and Win 10 OS). Camera isn't fixed so playing it on a touchpad isn't too convenient to say the least but once I get home I'll properly test it on a better (although still old) computer with Win 7 and AMD card and if I'll manage to install it on my older rig with Win XP I'll try it there as well.

Anyway, for now it's just like Madoraan arena. There are 14 fights all in all and supposedly it lacks some animations but I haven't noticed it during my play (animations that are implemented seem sufficient to me - I hope we will get some nice death animations with lots of gore like in Fallout and AoD though). There are grenades (which I haven't used until now, I thought I could manage without them but I've underestimated my opponents), gadgets, armors, there is cover system and all in all so far fights are at least as good as those in Dungeon Rats.

Alphons

Cipher
How are the guns? The closest we got before was a Bolter in AoD, so I'm interested to hear how are they compared to say, Fallouts.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, my Andreas Vesalius runs up to them with a big utility bar, and they shoot me in the face. That's how the guns are.

You seem to do quite a few attacks per round and so do your enemies - I don't think the action economy has changed hugely compared to AOD, but just by throwing guns into the mix, it feels like it's a lot harder to prevent the enemies from getting something done in their turn.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Only died in the first fight once, so that's something! But that guy couldn't get past the second fight. So I made a knife-wielding psycho who has hacked his way through the first three fights without any trouble. Game looks, sounds, and plays great. I'm not a ITS combat guy, so for me the measure of the game will be the factions, quests, C&C, etc., but I've enjoyed these fights more than AOD. Maybe because the gear is more familiar, it was a bit more intuitive for me.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
First good news of 2020

:love:

Also I'd like to sign up for closed beta but I'm stuck with a really shitty laptop which can't even run AoD properly...

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
I run a gig like Goral's but with Radeon 530 and 4 GB RAM, probably can run it fine?
Signing up, if not for this week, then down the road.

bat_boro

Arcane
Would you need somebody to test it on Mac VD? Is there a Mac version planned at all actually?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Some very early impressions that I also posted on the iron tower forums. Now as Vince said, there's some things missing, like animations and sounds, and it does feel noticeable, so I included it anyway, but whatevs

Performance:
The demo runs quite good on my rig, no technical issues really at all from playing, though I feel that the demo is gonna be somewhat taxing on lower systems. I'm running a gfx ti 1070ti, i7 4970k and 8gb ram, 1440p resolution everything maxed, not exactly a potatoe shit rig, but not top of the line either.
I do expect optimizations down the line.

Bugs: 1 bug encountered: Sometimes during combat, the sound of gunfire will cut out from 1 enemy firing, but its on again when the next enemy fires.

Graphics and UI:
The game looks great already simply put, graphics are very crisp, especially the lighting and the shadows stand out and give a good grimdark feel.

I like the UI alot, it's very simplistic, yet informative and fitting. Obviously it could do with some added stuff, like black borders maybe not soo great on everything. It makes for a too stark contrast in terms of the fluidity of the UI and the overall presentation.

The chargen screen has gotten a very nice facelift, and it feels pretty good. It got a great overview of all the stats now and your character. and it does well of explaning how things supplement eachother and what not.

As is apparant from the screenshots, the artstyle, the art of the items and such is simply breathtaking beautiful.
I like the barter screen, very simplistic and sleak. Some suggestions though, would include things like a proper item sorting filter, and a tally of your money when buying multiple copies of things, so you don't have to guess how much money you need for like ammo and such.
Very nitpicky stuff, but QoL going forward.

Animations and sounds:
The shooting animations and walking/running animations looks a little stiff, still, but passable. Vince explained that these will be touched up, so no worries.

The sound design feels a bit weak and lackluster at this point, but as I said, I'm sure it's super placeholder, it's mostly the gun sounds and stuff, so that's to be expected.
Also, adding UI sounds, clicking and such, would add alot of atmosphere.

Music:
The intro music sounds great and the track that plays within the game, very gloomy and desolate, I love it. Music is really what breathes life into a game!

Combat:
The actual combat itself feels pretty good. The information presented to the player I feel makes sense and feels natural. I got the hang of things pretty fast, as it feels very familiar to other games, especially stuff like xcom or even the old fallout, of course.
The skills and feats seems useable and fits nicely into most combat situations, as I have tried most builds by now.
I had no trouble figuring out my stats in terms of thc and other stuff. I like that you can expand for more info, but keep things simple simple simple. Simplicity is key, with underlying complexity to the player.

Overall, the combat feels very similar to AoD, yet more polished and improved in a lot of great ways, so AoD players should feel right at home.
The cover system is also well-known in many titles by now, and as such, I got no quarrals with it, it works, and its a nice addition to tactical combat.

I like the turn order UI and mechanic, very easy to understand.

The only thing I'm not too sold on yet, is the combat log to the right. I don't know but it feels off in terms of colours, font or something else. Let me sleep on it.

A combat speed slider is also a must during combat, so that would be a suggestion too, going forward.

I also died in the first fight btw, but quickly took revenge and made my way to waht I think was the last fight, p. hard even with maxed gear

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So are things feature locked, or is this a vertical slice and there's a good long way to go?

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Excited we all are.

Maybe it's just me but I rarely watch gameplay videos and thus don't really care about this marketing aspect.

People tend to use gameplay videos as a passive demo. I don't know how much they can help and you know more about that stuff than I do, but they can definitely hurt as the top video for TO is pretty bad. So I think it's better to get one up early, if only to prevent a troll video from beating your SEO later when people search for 'title + gameplay'.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
On one hand, I really want to check it out, on the other I want it well-baked when I first get to see it...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Do you have a bug report feature like PF:K? With a form opening up to type your message and then screenshot+savegame+message will be sent?

vota DC

Augur
About the charm guy with many followers vs the
lone action guy it is balanced?

Salvo

Arcane
oh boy here we go

keep us updated lads

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom