Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any "meta-RPG" games where you manage adventurers?

mondblut

Arcane
Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance

You directly control your party in dungeon crawling missions tho, with mm6-like controls.

In fact, Birthright is the only example of high-level RPG adventuring done right. Detect treasure - teleport - teleport - teleport - kill boss - teleport out. No walls made of antiteleportine and treasures stored in fields of undetectium because something something muh balinse something.

Anytime I am reminded of this game, I think of Sawyer smearing tears of impotent raeg on the other side of the screen. Always makes me smile.

Citizen

Birthright just moved up in my to play list.

Incline. Get the patched windows version tho, DOS one is almost unplayable in dosbox due to crashes. Here's how my DORF:obviously: playthrough ended few years ago, the save was also corrupted obviously:

87rYRe.png

Windows version + dxwnd worked nicely

Codex Year of the Donut
I saw something like this in World of Warcraft. You have a base with followers, you assign them to do missions and you're free to do your stuff, for example dimplomacy which is grinding reputation to get a bee mount.
Pretty sure it's just a ripoff of the systems implemented in other MMOs like SWTOR and STO. STO's crew management systems are, AFAIK, the most intricate in any MMO.

What I can remember are games which have mechanics such as these while you are off playing the main game like the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Asscreed games 2-3, and The Bureau: Xcom declassified.
Recommendations like this would be acceptable.
I remember in NWN2 there was an adventuring party that comes to your fort who are completely fresh, and you can guide them correctly to accomplishing some pretty important stuff. Something like that except more detailed.

Saduj

Arcane
Just saw a new RPG on Steam in early access yesterday. “Blackthorn Arena”. Involves buying slaves and training them as gladiators to fight against other gladiators and fantasy monsters. Looked like the character system was pretty detailed in the video.

From the video, I got the sense that they are also trying to market to people who are into BDSM. They don’t shy away from the word “slave” and included a mechanic that involves putting slaves that refuse orders into torture devices. Doesn’t seem like a feature that would add much to the core experience but might be a real selling point for certain folks.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Dragon Cliff.

It's basically Diablo 3 or Path of Exile, but automatic, all about customizing builds into an unstoppable team.
The enemy encounters aren't a slouch either.

There is also Epic Tavern and the like but they kinda suck.
You would think with Football Manager it would be a sure thing and developers figure it out. But no.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've been searching for the same sort of game but haven't found anything ideal so far. Cultist Simulator almost sorta fits the bill but your cultist's stats and gear are too simple and barebones, sending them out is a big part of the game but not really the focus. Conquest of Elysium has better crunch with lots of items to find and more kinds of stuff to summon and manage, but it veers towards 4x, especially with some of the classes. Spire of Sorcery seemed promising but it's not finished and is currently undergoing a major overhaul. Various idle games have tried to ape this sort of thing but they tend to be pretty dull with the management aspect being too simple to optimize. It's no fun managing adventurer parties if all you do is shuffle their equipment to whatever has the most stats every time they return. Soda Dungeon probably had the best attempt at this with a bunch of new classes and side benefits to unlock and such but I still dropped it pretty quick, it's just way too shallow compared to the more feature rich incremental games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom