Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frostpunk - ice age city builder from This War Of Mine devs

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Season_Pass_info_FIN_na_steam.jpg

$5 for a new endless map and $17 for a new scenario seems a bit steep.

in this brand new, prequel expansion

Prequel. I guess it's more than just a scenario. Fabulously optimistic.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More info:

Frostpunk%20%20The%20Last%20Autumn%20city.jpg

About the expansion:
The Last Autumn is a turning point in the Frostpunk universe. Revealing the restless events of Site 113 and its struggle to construct the generator before the freezing veil shrouds the Earth, this prequel expansion broadens the Frostpunk universe by introducing a new environment, new Books of Laws and unique technologies, and presents a range of new buildings — all of which let you shape society and the city in unconventional ways. Leading a group of engineers working on one of the world’s greatest technological marvels - a Generator - will require adapting your strategy to extraordinary situations. As the leader of Site 113, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. For Queen and Country!
The Last Autumn - features:
  • Experience a prequel story taking place before the freezing cataclysm
  • Master a totally new Book of Laws allowing you to shape your society in previously unknown ways
  • Construct new buildings
  • Discover uncommon, steam-powered technologies
  • Apply more advanced strategies to survive
  • Delve into a beautiful new environment not yet covered by snow

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I mean I'm pumped but um... why are the buildings huddled around a steam generator like it's -80 Celsius again? From what I'm seeing the game is set in a pleasant temperature.

Puteo

Learned
I mean I'm pumped but um... why are the buildings huddled around a steam generator like it's -80 Celsius again? From what I'm seeing the game is set in a pleasant temperature.

This scenario is about building the generator. Note the hole

Inspectah

Savant
Bros, I tried the game through the game pass but since it is an uwp game the FUCKIN Windows bar keeps appearing whenever my coursor touches the bottom of the screen. If it touches the top a godamn minimize/maximize bar appears.
Y'all have any Idea if it's fixable?
The fact that I can't chance resolutions through the menu also touches my sensibilities :negative:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I got the new scenario, and I've played through it twice two see the two main paths you can take. Now, I'm trying the new endless mode where you have to build your own generator to survive the storms. You can take shortcuts to get it done on time (50 days), but your generator will be worse. It definitely takes longer to get going than the normal endless mode. The temperature starts at -20C and goes down from there, which can be rough with no generator nor steam hubs. Luckily heaters still work.

The scenario adds some new things that are interesting:
  • Work safety where people can be injured or killed at work
  • Short shifts that boost work safety
  • Double shifts, so a building can be worked 24 hours a day
  • Hunters have to go find food spots on the map and gather the limited food at them (e.g. a spot might give 80 food/day for 5 days)
  • Penal colony with additional type of person called a convict, who can't go on strike but requires guards to watch
  • Choosing to make the houses either comfy (8 per house) or cramped (12 per house)
  • A bath house where some gay shit happens
  • Venereal disease from prostitutes
Now, work hours can be up to a three-way toggle, since you choose between extended shifts or double shifts in the book of laws.

The new scenario's not bad if you like the original game, but $17 is a lot of money for it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah 17 jewro seems a bit too pricey for what you get. But both the new scenario and the new Endless map are a lot of fun. I've just finished the scenario on Survivor and it was a blast.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Yeah 17 jewro seems a bit too pricey for what you get. But both the new scenario and the new Endless map are a lot of fun. I've just finished the scenario on Survivor and it was a blast.
This was one of the easier scenarios. I still can't do Refugees or Fall of Winterhome on survivor mode, but this one was pretty straightforward. Being able to use 15 people to get 80 raw food a day helps a lot. I finished on day 34, but I think I could get that down a bit.

Fall of Winterhome is such a pain to try survivor mode because there's so much micromanaging in the beginning, Doing that over and over makes me not even want to bother.

Did you manage Refugees and Fall of Winterhome on survivor?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Finished all scenarios on Survivor. IIRC Winterhome was relatively painless, you just need a ton of Medical Posts in the first few days and then it's smooth sailing.

But Refugees was a fucking bitch. I think I didn't even figure out this one myself, after countless tries I just lost patience and watched a Youtube video.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron

Finished all scenarios on Survivor. IIRC Winterhome was relatively painless, you just need a ton of Medical Posts in the first few days and then it's smooth sailing.

But Refugees was a fucking bitch. I think I didn't even figure out this one myself, after countless tries I just lost patience and watched a Youtube video.
I hadn't played in a while before The Last Autumn DLC came out, but I decided to go back and get the rest of the scenarios. I don't recall exactly how difficult Fall of Winterhome is, since I haven't played it lately. I remember a lot of micromanaging in the beginning though where I had to have it paused a while.

I just finished Refugees survivor on maybe my 15th consecutive try. I finally gave up on being a nice guy and abused the hell out of 24-hour shift and let a couple people starve to death, so I could delay food a bit. I had four total deaths from overwork and starving, and the one guy got lynched, but I'm satisfied. When I looked for some tips online, it was mostly bugs that have been fixed like canceling outposts and redoing them to resend supplies immediately or pulling workers out of hunter's huts during the day to work on other stuff.

Gonna do Fall of Winterhome next. I think the lack of pausing makes me panic more than it should when I have a bunch of things to do.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah that's a common feature of all Survivor scenarios - the first few days require a very tight micro and preciseness, then it's mostly the same fare as the lower difficulties.

As for deaths from starvation and overwork, it's possible to avoid both. In Refugees you have to send the scouts to the cannery absolutely ASAP and they make it back just in time. As for overwork, if you give your dudes working on a 24 shift an hour break nobody will die (let them work for a few hours, then pull them out for an hour or so, then put them back).

And yeah, lack of pausing is generally not a problem at all. Winterhome may be a rare exception since there's so much shit to manage in the first few hours and days. Good luck.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
As for deaths from starvation and overwork, it's possible to avoid both. In Refugees you have to send the scouts to the cannery absolutely ASAP and they make it back just in time. As for overwork, if you give your dudes working on a 24 shift an hour break nobody will die (let them work for a few hours, then pull them out for an hour or so, then put them back).
I'm fine with the 4 deaths on Refugees. I thought about replaying for zero deaths, but I just don't know if it'd be fun again.

I did Fall of Winterhome last night and it took me three tries. Demolishing roads for spare wood in the beginning sure is tedious. I got a bunch of deaths, though, mostly from sick people. Did you manage to do this one with no deaths?

I guess the only test left would be using Order instead of Faith and Engineers instead of Workers.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
News on the next DLC:

On The Edge - the third expansion from the game’s Season Pass - is set after the vicious Great Storm. The expedition with a special assignment is sent from New London. On The Edge not only opens a brand new chapter set in the Frostpunk universe but also further enriches the core experience by pitting players against new challenges and offering unique mechanics, both in the city and on the Frostland map.

A brand new, frozen board is set and the pieces are moving. What destiny lies ahead for your people? What will this mean for you, as their leader? Shape the future of humanity in a defining moment in Frostpunk's universe.

"The Edge symbolizes the cross between what has been the past and what’s new to come. Although the society of New London, the city believed to be the last one on Earth, has survived, it doesn’t mean the struggle is over. The people face new challenges that are catalysts to spark up divisions, new problems, and conflicts based on the fact, that people might have different points of view, different perspectives. Different outlook, so to speak. This is the Edge that you will face as the leader of the society that survived the great snowstorm of Frostpunk" - said Maciej Sułecki, the lead designer of Frostpunk: On the Edge.

On The Edge is coming to Steam this Summer and will feature:
  • a brand new story scenario, set after the Great Storm
  • an array of challenges to overcome on a new, desolate map
  • unique mechanics to utilize on the Frostland view

Dickie

Arcane
Patron

The final expansion got a release date of August 20.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/323190/view/4175351602848996757

Hear me, hear me, Citizens!

We survived the Great Storm but the path ahead is still marked with toil. A finding outside New London seems to be a blessing, but doesn’t every miracle come with a price? Lead the expedition to explore the uncharted parts of Frostland in Frostpunk: On The Edge.

Today, we are thrilled to share a brand-new cinematic trailer and a few screenshots from the expansion with you. On top of that, we're happy to announce that On the Edge, the third and final expansion for Frostpunk, is coming to PC on the 20th of August, 2020.

While Frostpunk’s previous expansion, The Last Autumn, served as a prequel, On The Edge picks up when the base game has ended. The storm has exposed an army warehouse from times before the evacuation. A scouting party is sent from New London to set up an outpost and a steady chain of supplies. It’s time to take another step on the laborious path of rebuilding hope and leading humankind to survival. But… the world of Frostpunk is still full of embroiled dualities: trust or skepticism, independence or domination, union or separation. The question is, what path will you take?

940bc9ee26ab8538ae8f466402550c1e74f03cfb.jpg

Near the outpost, there are no animals to hunt, so you’ll be depending on food sent from New London and their favors are not inexhaustible. They have their demands too. The good part is that the weather is not so severe here, on the edge. For now, the people have managed to survive without a Generator, but for how long? Will you be able to lead them for survival, far from the capital city of New London? Play On The Edge - the final chapter of the thrilling Frostpunk story - on the 20th of August!

10a1a4387e55328e40fc30c19fa8391e78c8a3af.jpg

Frostpunk: On The Edge awaits you with:
  • A gripping survival story set after events of the original game
  • Circumstances will force players to explore and adapt to the frozen wilderness
  • A brand-new map with unique structures
  • New methods to divide or unite your people
  • New mechanics to build economic and diplomatic relations

Frostpunk: On The Edge will be available on August 20th on PC via Steam, GOG.com, and Humble Store - and it's actually gonna be cheaper than The Last Autumn expansion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoker

Scholar
diplomatic relations eh? I wonder what going against another city will be like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom