Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Jason Liang

Arcane
Does Premeditation not fit well with Ambush? If so, I could drop Meditation and Premeditation to dump INT as well to raise DEX to 9.

I'm pretty certain I want 6 PER for Ambush along with 9 CON/ 7 WILL for Stoicism, SI and Last Stand

So basically 9 DEX/ 3 INT or 6 DEX/ 6 INT

Can't I just take drugs or use equipment to boost my DEX?

Last edited:

Blackmill

Scholar
Does Premeditation not fit well with Ambush? If so, I could drop Meditation and Premeditation to dump INT as well to raise DEX to 9.

I'm pretty certain I want 6 PER for Ambush along with 9 CON/ 7 WILL for Stoicism, SI and Last Stand

So basically 9 DEX/ 3 INT or 6 DEX/ 6 INT

Can't I just take drugs or use equipment to boost my DEX?

Dumping INT denies you access to Cheap Shots which is crucial for nearly any melee build. At the same time, 6 DEX isn't good enough for melee.

Why do you have high CON if you want your defense to be killing your enemies before they can kill you? Survival Instincts is good, but when your other attributes desperately need to be higher, it's a terrible tradeoff.

There's no equipment that boosts DEX. There's just two drugs that boosts DEX and both are very rare (especially if you refuse to craft). You can otherwise boost DEX by 1 with food but that won't change what feats you have access to.

If you want to be good with both knives and SMGs, start with 10 DEX, 8 PER, 7 AGI, and 5 INT. You have one attribute point left over. This isn't the only good choice of starting stats, but it's an example, and most will be pretty similar.

---

Edit: Technically you can boost DEX by 2 with a certain food item, but it's random, and not very practical imo.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Since I only want to do one run through the game, I guess I want to try dominating difficulty and I've read that both dodge and evasion are pretty terrible so I can't just dump CON completely. Is Stoicism worth it? I guess I can dump CON a little or WILL and put it into DEX.

So like 3 STR, 8 DEX, 7 CON, 6 PER, 3 AGI, 7 WILL, 6 INT with Stoicism
OR 3 STR, 10 DEX, 9 CON, 6 PER, 3 AGI, 3 WILL, 6 INT with Last Stand and SI

Does going from 8 DEX to 10 DEX make that big of a difference

This is why stat-based AP systems turn me off seriously

Blackmill

Scholar
Since I only want to do one run through the game, I guess I want to try dominating difficulty and I've read that both dodge and evasion are pretty terrible so I can't just dump CON completely. Is Stoicism worth it? I guess I can dump CON a little or WILL and put it into DEX.

CON is a pretty common dump stat. A lot of builds do what you want to and rely on killing the enemies before they can react. This is typically achieved by using stealth (so you want decent AGI) and silent weapons (primarily psi and melee). Stoicism is generally not worth it.

Going from 8 DEX to 10 matters. It's not just the additional AP reduction. It improves your accuracy with melee, your critical hit chance, and is a requirement for feats like Cut Throat. Since it also benefits your SMGs, it's hard to argue that putting those points elsewhere is better.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

If you're going to be playing DOMINATING not maxing your main attribute will be even more punishing since enemies have higher amounts of dodge/evasion.

Go either 9 CON or 3 CON, 7 sucks.

Trash Player

Scholar

Stealth gives initiative and Psi gives ridiculous amount of CC, you will never get hit by anything. Some situations will rob you of either but those are mitigable. Grenades and mines are hassles but good enough by themselves. An optimised build can output outrageous damage numbers too. Hard and aboves gives a health penalty but tanking is more about stacking resistance, so getting Str 8 for armor options alone will do more than just high Con + some durability feats.
As for someone who can shoot and stab well, Versatility(Int 5) is a good feat. Save a lot of points, take some time to get online though. Spec Ops(Agi 6) is the only mandatory SMG feat, evn then SMG is good enough without it. Agi 7 gives Run and Gun, kinda overkill though. Will 7 gives Force User, which is a gamebreaker.
A 3/10/6/3/3/7/6 array gives you 2 points leftover, either pump Will for late psi feats or drop for Per to get gun ones.
I beat AoD with a 1/1 build doing all the hard fights. Not afraid of Underrail
Well, unless you put on any extra self-imposed challenges, the game is just a exercise on trial-and-error and preparations, even on dominating. The difficulty itself contains a massive stat bloat, tuned-up encounters and some insignificant rule changes. Most of the clutches are still applicable, i.e. bear traps, forcefield, special grenades. The good stuffs are still broken, like psi, stealth and burst weapons. It is more about tedium than a real challenge.
The time to figure out the metagame on dom for a new player will probably be as much as do a normal run. Ofc, this is your time and enjoyment, I am not going to comment more than that.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
larper nonsense
Just play a fucking psyker for fuck's sake!
SBfJ8gZ.png

aCO8kPU.png

Locus of Control should be removed from the game.

Sheepherder

Augur
lol pistol damage spread
A crit from an aimed shot deals 270 damage and then another crit from rapid fire deals 855 damage. I've seen non crits from special attacks deal more damage than crits from regular attacks.
7TgGkg7.jpg

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
With pistols that is definitely a risk you take. It's what makes a pistol build so awesomely difficult to play. I've done them before and I sooooo want to do them again but I have to try a pure psionic next.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
With pistols that is definitely a risk you take. It's what makes a pistol build so awesomely difficult to play. I've done them before and I sooooo want to do them again but I have to try a pure psionic next.

I was mulling over an AR or Pistol build ... and your post made me decide to go for a pistol build.

Now I just need to activate my autism and find a satisfying build.

i got 40 hours into underrail before being too weak as piss to continue through anywhere. maybe i should've done some build research

with the addition of the expansion can you get leveled up more mid-game to make it easier in the last third?

Sheepherder

Augur
I wouldn't say they're difficult to play. Tedious early game due to reliance on gear to compensate for the low damage rolls and rapid reloader (so next no chance to find a good pistol to buy before I can craft one) and unlike most other weapon types, there's no passive +damage feats. Past Depot A they've been fine so far.
Btw, Cryostasis enables Execute. I've been executing industrial bots.

Alphons

Cipher
i got 40 hours into underrail before being too weak as piss to continue through anywhere. maybe i should've done some build research

with the addition of the expansion can you get leveled up more mid-game to make it easier in the last third?

It depends on what you're stuck on.
If you use stealth, you can use grenade distractions and electronic doors to bypass most enemies. If you find Expedition enemies too hard, you can roll with the pirates and fight Black Eels and Protectorate.

Depends on what type of character you've made. Post your build.

forgot to say i'm gonna also start over for sure. but i'll leave it on the same difficulty if the expansion will help me get a bit more over leveled by the last third, but if they balanced it i'll be a scrub and turn it to easy :)

Metronome

Learned
I just beat the game a few hours ago. I decided to turn mistakes into miracles and got psi for my 6 Will. It worked out really well with psychokinesis. The force wall, extra stun, and punch damage were all pretty big. Since my guy couldn't handle much damage, they saved me a lot of trouble. At some point I also found the powerfist which put all my penetration worries to rest. It had to be fixed constantly though, and there were a few times I was legitimately worried I would run out of electronic repair devices. I also remember being warned about critical hits but they were never an issue. I got sprint and wrestling before the last fight. It took a while but I eventually got him down.

I still don't like the way the game does initiative, but it stopped being an issue (for me) at some point after I killed Carnifex. Persuasion was mildly useful, though still not worth the points I put into it. Evasive maneuvers was garbage. Even working off a ton of movement points I would still get hit like it wasn't even on. Uncanny dodge was pretty useful though.

My stats right after I beat the boss looked like this:
LV 23

STR: 7 (9)
DEX: 10
AGI: 10
CON: 6 (7)
PER: 3
WILL: 6
INT: 3

Throw: 85 (128)
Melee: 125 (188)
Dodge: 125 (188)
Evasion: 125 (188)
Stealth: 105 (183)
Lock: 80 (125)
Pickpocket: 90 (135)
Traps: 65 (106)
Psychokinesis: 100 (116)
Persuasion: 100 (116)

Echoing Soliloquy
Hunter
Nimble
Paranoia
Psi Empathy
Sprint
Sure step
Dirty kick
Lightning punches
Deflection
Fancy footwork
Uncanny dodge
Wrestling
Evasive Maneuvers
Blitz
Combo

Coretech respirator
Rathound regalia
Power fist
The Claw
Pig leather tabi boots
Doctor pouch
Efficient High Freq shield (142)

I liked the story and all, but some of the fetch quests in that last area were a real pain. I also wasn't very fond the DMPC showing up to magically make me do whatever the developer wanted to have happen. The mutagen recombination was pretty fun at least, and it was a legitimately comfy atmosphere. I'll probably give the expansion a try at some point in the future. My favorite fights were the long ones with lots of enemies, and I heard the expansion has these. But that's enough Underrail for now.

Parabalus

Arcane

If you use stealth, you can use grenade distractions and electronic doors to bypass most enemies. If you find Expedition enemies too hard, you can roll with the pirates and fight Black Eels and Protectorate.

If you massacre the Black Eel station, do they get hostile in Junkyard? Stealthed through it.

Same question for protectorate, guessing the stations along the see are fine but killing the warehouse makes them hostile.

Alphons

Cipher

If you massacre the Black Eel station, do they get hostile in Junkyard? Stealthed through it.

Same question for protectorate, guessing the stations along the see are fine but killing the warehouse makes them hostile.

No idea, rolled with intellectuals. Everything I know about pirate questline is from wikia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom