Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex Kommunistic Kastle. Fortress. Dwarf Fortress.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
1st Moonstone, 126, Early Winter
The Outpost, Tavern

4cscHmA.jpg

HYEEVws.png
*Looking at the Newsflesh hanging from the wall* Hmmmmmmmm nice place.

vLqtdCv.png
Not to mention friendly. Half of our group was assigned to work on the surface.

Sukahvati's second-class citizens are all assigned as farmers AND foragers. In other words, they gather plants when there is no need to plant seeds or harvest crops (which doesn't take long in DF).

j8JI5iR.jpg

HYEEVws.png
Our group? Aren't you the dwarf who kept his distance from the rest of us all the way here?

vLqtdCv.png
Matalarata is the name.

HYEEVws.png
Inspectah, a pleasure to finally know ya. As for this fortress... Still better than Dentraded. This tavern here has booze and posters on the wall. Well, a poster. Entertainment is something I was sorely lacking back in the Mansion of Paper.

vLqtdCv.png
What do you intend to do here? Somehow I doubt you'll be able to pursue scientific research in this place.

HYEEVws.png
A change of scenery is the main ingredient of invention, my friend! As for the old discoveries - let those nerds in Dentraded feast on the fruits of labor of the more talented scholars. Everyone there is obsessed with screws right now.

Che2fQC.jpg

HYEEVws.png
Me? I'm ready to move on.

8hAkx33.png
*approaches*

HYEEVws.png
Ahhh, there you are! Matalarata, allow me to introduce my wife! Ezum Gildbodice.

OdcwG9w.jpg

HYEEVws.png
The single most talented poet I've seen!

FczxTju.jpg

vLqtdCv.png
Poet, huh? What did you write?

8hAkx33.png
Nothing. Yet.

HYEEVws.png
You should write a poem about screws! Now, if you excuse me *goes down to his workstation*

vLqtdCv.png
I remember you. You've killed at least two langurs when we were attacked.

spu5rk3.jpg

vLqtdCv.png
Impressive. For a poet.

8hAkx33.png
It was nothing.

vLqtdCv.png
And yet the others were screaming their throats off, completely gripped by panic and fear.

8hAkx33.png
*examines Matalarata closely* I've seen you before...

vLqtdCv.png
*grunts* Took you a while.

8hAkx33.png
Conjuredlances. You are that grim, depressing bard.

vLqtdCv.png
And you are someone pretending to be a poet.

IPC6oSw.png
*steps in with a sleazy smile*

vLqtdCv.png
What do you want?

IPC6oSw.png
Do you think they will allow me to put some plant pots in this place?

8hAkx33.png
vLqtdCv.png

IPC6oSw.png
I want to dance among beautiful blooming flowers. I want to breathe their fragnant, tranquilizing aroma and--

8hAkx33.png
Flowers don't grow underground, you damnable abomination.

vLqtdCv.png
And nothing will overpower this stench of dirty socks anyway.

Meanwhile in Sqeecoo's Office

ccuaZQP.png
How many times do I need to repeat this: someone stole a wooden cup from the tavern!

DUelvJM.png
So what? It's just a cup. We have plenty!

ccuaZQP.png
Are you covering this up?! Not something I expected from General Secretary!

DUelvJM.png
Nut-Kin, I have at least 14 reports each day about you trying to steal something from Redlabored.

ccuaZQP.png
That's what pisses me off the most! When good old Nut-Kin so much as attempts to make a fair redistribution of what rightfully belongs to the people, he gets a warning.

DUelvJM.png
A warning, not a death sentence. You're welcome!

ccuaZQP.png
But when someone actually steals a wooden cup, you just let it slip!

DUelvJM.png
Again, it's a wooden cup. Compared to 80 gold bars you tried to steal last time.

ccuaZQP.png
That wasn't stealing! My intention was simply to make an investment. Have you ever heard of ButtCoins? Goblin currency they smuggle inside the butts? Let me fill you in the details.

6th Moonstone, 126, Early Winter
Redlabored, Andnjord's Workshop

7LbtHeJ.jpg

kCv2T60.png
Faster, Lizzurd! I need more copper bars!

ehwPBsc.jpg

0UY8kAw.png
*sweat flowing down his scaly face*

kCv2T60.png
Ugh, can't believe the indignity my family has to suffer! Sukhavati tasked me - the best smith of dwarfendom! - with making copper armor! My brother, the legendary bowyer, is suffering in the barracks. And don't even start me on my wife! She was assigned as a second-class citizen, just because she abstained from voting!

0UY8kAw.png
Kek.

kCv2T60.png
On top of that, Sukhavati decided to "expand" metal industry. Now how in Uzol's name did she plan to do that without additional anvils?

We need iron or steel to make a new anvil (Andnjord is using the only one we have).

Our current metals are no good for the task.

7YYlnMk.jpg

iMgr0vj.jpg

0UY8kAw.png
You tried talking to her, yes? No?

kCv2T60.png
Who, the manager? Or should I say one of our miners? It took her half a month to approve the Kommissar's list of orders. By the time I got the list, I was so far behind the schedule, it's not even funny. Swinging her pickaxe is apparently more important than doing the manager's duties.

In case it wasn't obvious: every appointed administrator has administrative duties and related labors that they need to do in the game. Some skills and personality traits help speed things up, but if the manager is swamped with other labors, nothing's gonna get done in Redlabored. I'll quote the Wiki again:

"One disadvantage of the work order system is that no work will be performed until the manager finishes validating the order. Work order validation appears to be fairly high priority, but it's best to ensure your manager has ample free time and isn't typically called far from the office for timely order validation."

0UY8kAw.png
I like Sukhavati.

kCv2T60.png
How so?

0UY8kAw.png
She labeled my daughter as a second-class citizen.

kCv2T60.png

0UY8kAw.png
Kek.

CbNurbC.png
*enters the smithy*

kCv2T60.png
Eryfkrad.

CbNurbC.png
*nods* Andnjord.

kCv2T60.png
Can I help you with something? We're pretty busy here, as you can clearly see. Aren't you suppose to brew?

CbNurbC.png
*shrugs* We've done a good enough job together with Nut-Kin. You should stop worrying about booze.

jPGXDih.jpg

CbNurbC.png
Say, can I have a golden puzzlebox?

26Pnyai.jpg

kCv2T60.png
No.

CbNurbC.png
It was worth a shot in any cas-- *interrupted by a LOUD noise of something CRUSHING and some beast-like GROWLING, coming from below*

kCv2T60.png
What was THAT??

0UY8kAw.png
Moist Cloister cheating on me?? No? No.

CbNurbC.png
The noise came from the entrance to the mines. Probably the caverns.

Numerous creatures in DF are considered building destroyers. This means they can break down doors and various structures. However, they cannot break through a solid wall. That's the sole reason we sealed the caverns, and not simply locked the door leading there.

cLA8AO6.jpg

0UY8kAw.png
Kek, some monsters trying to break into the fortress.

kCv2T60.png
Hrmpf. We decided to let the monster hunters stay, for whatever reason. Maybe we should have sent them down.

0UY8kAw.png
Exactly. Go with Kalin's plan! Kalin's plan! KALIN'S PLAN! KA--

CbNurbC.png
Shuddup, Lizzurd.

0UY8kAw.png
Okay.

CbNurbC.png
If we unsealed the caverns, whatever is down there might have killed the monster hunters and then go for us, before we had a chance to re-seal the entrance. Judging from the sounds I hear... I say we were lucky.

This troll is short for her own kind, but she's a huge monster nonetheless.

THiO0Qu.jpg

Meanwhile in the Barracks

IlLFDj0.jpg

mWu02P9.png
oovs6Cs.png
*out of breath after sparring with each other*

TWOnKLq.png
FEH! Both of ya cun't fite fer SHIT!!

mWu02P9.png
This is... *panting* Harder than I thought.

061EwNk.png
Wuss.

mWu02P9.png
I prefer Soldado.

oovs6Cs.png
Right, I forgot about callsigns. Mine will b--

CUcEB7R.png
How about "Stalker"? The whole fortress knows about your obsession with Kommanding Physician Azira.

oovs6Cs.png
I am NOT obsessed with Azira! Again, I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED!

TWOnKLq.png
Enuff chit'-chattin'. Stulkur an' SolidFAG it is!

aC1Qq5w.jpg

mWu02P9.png
... Soldado.

KuUlcLF.png
Ye r no soldier! Yarr fightin' worse than a WOMAN, Oso!

TWOnKLq.png
DAS RITE! Akshully, lemme use mah BITCHES ta prove it! STUKUS!

XySctEP.png
Yes, Kommander!

TWOnKLq.png
Brutha FRENK!

o44H4SR.png
Hehehehe

TWOnKLq.png
FITE!!

o44H4SR.png
EEEEEEHEHEHEHEHE!!! *charges at Stukos*

XySctEP.png
*grips the spear, and raises her shield*

dxMY4B6.jpg

KuUlcLF.png
*raises an eyebrow* That's pretty good.

TWOnKLq.png
Moar angur! MOUR ANGER!!!

o44H4SR.png
I WILL RRRRRRRIP YOUR FUCKING NOSTRILS OFF!! *throws her body at Stukos*

XySctEP.png
*collides with Brother Frank, but immediately recovers*

88UgeVn.jpg

o44H4SR.png
*hacks at Stukos with maniacal laughter*

uqHHSb8.jpg

XySctEP.png
*falls down, stunned*

oovs6Cs.png
Daaamn. *mumbles* When did you get so good..?

KuUlcLF.png
ENOUGH!

XySctEP.png
NO! Not yet! *rolls sideways, avoiding Brother Frank's swings*

WA7ErVY.jpg

o44H4SR.png
OOOWW! *takes a step back*

XySctEP.png
*smirks*

TWOnKLq.png
DAS how it's dun! I would FUCK you both wid PASHUN! If onle yer UGLY faces wor a bit more...

XySctEP.png
o44H4SR.png

TWOnKLq.png
... Easturn.

10th Moonstone, 126, Early Winter
The Outpost, Merc's Workshop

c5LeVE4.jpg

PV80FJy.png
*glances at Sqeecoo working at the table next to him*

DUelvJM.png
What's up, brother?

PV80FJy.png
The things you do with deer bones. Magnificent.

HQtpIHs.jpg

DUelvJM.png
Why, thanks! It's nothing special, really. *finishes another figurine as she speaks*

A0HPwGb.jpg

DUelvJM.png
Kind of a shame we're going to sell them, though. The new broker doesn't even know their real worth.

8hlBi5a.jpg

PV80FJy.png
If only that was the worst of her traits. *spits on the ground*

DUelvJM.png
How's your progress on the BARRELS?

PV80FJy.png
Slow, but steady.

1lANHOc.jpg

PV80FJy.png
Why do we need one hundred barrels again?

DUelvJM.png
Our fort is BARRELling towards disaster due to the lack of drinks, and all these elaborate plans will be naught but pointless BARREL rolls if we don't fix this situation immediately. Without a single BARREL of booze, we might as well--

19th Moonstone, 126, Early Winter
The Outpost, General Storage

JpTrrCy.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
*drinking*

CrmPVDL.png
Kommissar Grimwulf, may I have a word with you? Also, why are you not drinking in the tavern?

lLtAqSI.png
Tavern, my arse. A goddamn deer would build a better tavern than Suck-a-Llama.

Most our dwarves are drinking in the storage room, not Sukhavati's tavern, because:

- It's too small;
- Not enough space for the dance floor;
- Not enough space for storing booze;
- No musical instruments;
- Too much work;
- Corpses, skeletons, body parts are piled up just behind the wall of dirt to the east;
- Newsflesh hanging from the wall.

It's just too damn depressing.

kr8dNvq.jpg

CrmPVDL.png
In any case, I was performing a routine check on the mental condition of our komrades--

lLtAqSI.png
Instead of doing ACTUAL WORK!

CrmPVDL.png
... And there is something I need to discuss with you.

8XqIRKT.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
Take it to the manager. Got no time for beard-shaking.

CrmPVDL.png
It's about one of your administrators.

lLtAqSI.png
Oh, for fark's sake.

CrmPVDL.png
Would you mind coming over to the barracks with me? You need to see this for yourself, Kommissar.

A bit later in the Barracks

RURVC7Q.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
CrmPVDL.png
*enter the barracks*

KuUlcLF.png
qT4LDO9.png
CUcEB7R.png
061EwNk.png
o44H4SR.png
oovs6Cs.png
mWu02P9.png
3xGOOtN.png
*watching in terror as Kalin BASHES the living shit out of Stukos*

xnQRLas.jpg

RfBAqzQ.png
STUND AP, YE BITCH! FITE ME! FITE MEE!!

JPeTMHi.png
I yield!

RfBAqzQ.png
U WOT?! *charges at Stukos again*

vegByDd.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
STOP THIS MADNESS, KALIN!

RfBAqzQ.png
Ohhh, look hoo came to da WRONG barruks! *raises his bloodied war hammer*

lLtAqSI.png
What AILS you?!

4qDA0e9.jpg

CrmPVDL.png
Let us calm down, take a deep brea--

RfBAqzQ.png
I'll put mah BOOT so DEEP in ya farkin' ARSE, you'll be LICKIN' MAH SHOELACES!!

lLtAqSI.png
You are suspended from the Kommander's position.

RfBAqzQ.png
Ye, yu FAKKIN WISH! KUNT shushpend meh!!

lLtAqSI.png
I AM YOUR GODDAMN KOMMISSAR! I can do WHATEVER I want! Now PUT THE FUCK DOWN that cursed war hammer before I order to put YOU down with it!

KuUlcLF.png
Come on, boss. We were just sparrin'. Kalin's fine.

RfBAqzQ.png
DAS RITE! Ye don't tell KALIN, son of KALIN how to fuckin' TRAINAN HIS TROOPS!!

lLtAqSI.png
Put. Down. Your. Weapon.

RfBAqzQ.png

lLtAqSI.png

RfBAqzQ.png
UGH!!! *drops the weapon and storms his way outside, pushing Lagole Gon on the way*

061EwNk.png
*falls on his back*

lLtAqSI.png
This fortress is a goddamn mess. SPIGOT!

KuUlcLF.png
WHAT??

lLtAqSI.png
You are the KOMMANDER naw!

KuUlcLF.png
YARRR

D7h4M96.jpg

CUcEB7R.png
Now hold on just a moment. That's not how we voted!

lLtAqSI.png
I use my GODLIKE power to OVERRULE your voting, Chatter! Consider it a temporary measure. I will allow Kalin to reclaim the position once he gets his shit together.

Brace yourselves for a long-ass explanation. I fired Kalin from both his Kommander position AND from the Prolebashers.

Kt1Logf.jpg

The reason for this is his rapidly building up stress.

oXa2DHL.jpg

I will show you a screen that NONE OF US IS SUPPOSED to see, coz it's cheating, but there you go:

WP7ZztS.jpg

This is the exact number representing Kalin's current stress. A number that isn't shown in vanilla DF. This screen (Dwarf Manipulator) is a DFHack feature, which I consider to be QoL - the main purpose of it is to assign labors, the single most tedious, cumbersome task in vanilla DF. If anyone's wondering how tedious it really is, here is the process as described in Wiki (just skip it, unless you REALLY want to know):

Assigning labors
There are several steps required to assign a particular labor to a dwarf. For an example, let's say you have designated a section of underground rock to be mined in order to make a tunnel for your fortress. This designation of work is a "job", and will now appear in your j job's menu as "dig". In order for a dwarf to complete the job, you must assign a dwarf the mining labor. This can be done as follows:

1. From the main map screen, select the unit list menu, u, which will list all your dwarves and show their current activity.
    • Alternatively, you can use the view menu.
  2. From the unit list menu, arrow scroll down to select the dwarf whom you want to assign a labor to then select z to zoom to their location. Your view will change to the main map, and the dwarf you have chosen should be flashing on and off. In the task window on the right you will see information about the selected dwarf, in the Dwarf Details menu.
    • The default view for the selected dwarf in the Dwarf Details menu is 'general' g, which will list the dwarf's nickname or first name, dwarvish last name, and profession, followed below by their nickname or first name and last name as it reads in English, and their noble title if they are a noble. This is followed by a list that shows the current job (or lack thereof) in blue text, combat role c, labors b, and miscellaneous social skills and abilities m. To see only the current labors, turn the combat c and miscellaneous m sections off.
  3. From the Dwarf Details screen, select p for preference, and then l for labor. This will take you to the Labor Categories screen, which categorizes the individual labor options into various categories based on similarity of work. (See Labor Categories below.)
    • Note that Mining is unique on the list, as it is the only item that is a labor in its own right, and not a category of several labors.
  4. Scroll through the list using the + or - keys, select a category, and scroll through the individual labor list, and once you have the desired labor selected, press Enter. For this example, since Mining is a labor and not a category you need only select Mining from the category menu.
  5. Exiting: To return to the Dwarf Details screen, select preference p then general g, and you should see the new assigned labor in the list. You can also exit directly to the main screen by selecting Esc.
    • Note that changes in labors will not always take effect immediately, if a labor, say Mining, is deselected on a dwarf who is performing the job, they will first finish mining the current tile and then stop mining.

Pink-colored labor choices.
If the dwarf is undergoing military training, then activated labors will be marked in pink, denoting that a dwarf is not able to perform those labors.

Utilities
You may have noticed that the UI for managing dwarves is a bit difficult to use. If you are using a supported operating system, Dwarf Therapist and/or DFHack can make this much easier.

Note: The word "preference" can be confusing, as it suggests that a dwarf will do work associated with any labor, but will 'prefer' and prioritize work associated with labors you have assigned. This is not the case. A dwarf will only do work associated with assigned preferred labors, so it is not a preference, but in fact functions as a switch to enable or disable the labor. (Prioritization of work is based on several factors that are not fully understood, but are presented in micromanaging tricks.)

Once designated as a labor preference, a single labor can be applied to many different jobs. For instance, a dwarf with the bone carving labor designated might carve a totem out of a skull, craft bone practice bolts for a crossbow, create bone armor, or carve bone crafts to trade. Each of these is a different possible job allowed by designating the associated labor.

Now imagine doing this shit to every single dwarf, and the sheer STRUGGLE of remembering how many miners/farmers/etc you have in your fortress. Most players use Dwarf Therapist instead of Dwarf Manipulator, but DT SHOWS STRESS LEVELS TOO! I cannot force myself not to look. Therefore, this is the only minor cheating I pretty much have to allow in this playthrough.

Now, since I can see the exact stress level, here is the thing: Kalin's stress was around 5000 at the end of the previous update. Just a couple of in-game weeks passed since then. His stress was doubled. And here is why.

Remember those "bad thoughts" we had in Rimworld? Like sleeping in cold, eating without a table, seeing your wife dead? Regardless of what gruesome shit happened to Rimworld kolonists, they would forget anything in a very short while.

DF is wired differently. Experiencing something traumatic is painful, but in the end, it breaks down in two things: a bad thought, and a bad memory. Thoughts come and go, but the memories stay, occasionally resurfacing and raping the dwarven mind. Just like in RL, you cannot get rid of memories. Only drink them away for a time.

On top of that, we have unsatisfied NEEDS. The longer they stay unsatisfied and the more unsatisfied needs you have - the greater is the stress, because unsatisfied needs sorta "spam" bad thoughts continuously. Wouldn't you be frustrated if you had to endure intolerable living conditions for years? Sleeping on the muddy ground, eating horse-eye lasagna, having daily conversations with retarded neighbors and deranged bosses? It's frustrating. So, everything piles up, accumulating into one massive pile of SHIT that is dwarven life.

I can't let Kalin stay in the barracks wielding a war hammer and wearing armor. Any uncareful word from his subordinates, any random thought or memory, or even TIME ITSELF might break Kalin for good. He would go berserk and NOT A SINGLE DWARF IN REDLABORED would be able to stop him. Kalin is perfectly capable of annihilating all of us.

And yes, his DEATH DRILLs ain't helping anything when it comes to stress.

My plan is to try to micro-manage Kalin into a more, hrmpf, stable state of mind. I will unassign all labors and let him take it easy in the tavern. Maybe let him craft something fancy from wood or sum shit, I don't know. It might be too late for that anyway.

IF he doesn't lose it completely until the end of Winter, I will let him reclaim the Kommander position.

I hope we don't get invaded while Kalin is on a vacation.

:shredder:

KuUlcLF.png
... Well. What ar ya waiting for, a ceremony? BACK TO TRAINING, YOU SHITHEADS!

25th Moonstone, 126, Early Winter
Redlabored, Kommissar's Quarters

5biiW5O.jpg

TWOnKLq.png
*slams the door open*

KzrskTB.png
Kommander Kalin?

lLtAqSI.png
Former Kommander. We're in the middle of discussion - what the fuck do you want, Kalin?

TWOnKLq.png
AH WONT MAH JOB BACK, GRIMPRICK!! AND A BONAZ! GIB!!!

KzrskTB.png
I should probably leave you two...

UTraKN0.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
*finishes consuming delicious, yet FOUL-smelling deer "cake" in silence*

Mjt26t8.jpg

TWOnKLq.png
Dat ffffriggin' DININ' ROOM is biggar dan da TAVURN!!

lLtAqSI.png
To each according to his needs. Gotta rest naw. *stands up and heads straight to his bedroom*

TWOnKLq.png
Where r u GOANG?? *follows Grimwulf*

lLtAqSI.png
*drops on his bed*

TWOnKLq.png
Bonaz, bitch! BONAZ, BITCH!!

Didn't expect that to happen. Instead of hanging out in the tavern or doing anything he wants, Kalin preferred to stalk Grimwulf. He's following my every step, no matter what I do or where I go.

Gotta say, it's NOT a pleasant experience to have a raving madman like Kalin watching you sleep.

dSH5GDQ.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
I would give you a bonaz, Kalin. But here is the thing.

TWOnKLq.png

lLtAqSI.png
You are completely useless. You failed at every single task you were supposed to accomplish. You didn't protect us from the weregecko. You didn't find a water source in the caverns. You didn't foresee Helly's revolution. You've even let her steal my property. You failed at establishing a competent militia squad. And don't even get me started on your "great achievements" as the former manager. In fact, I'm thinking of putting your statue in the Hall of Shame.

RfBAqzQ.png

lLtAqSI.png
*closes his eyes and starts snoring immediately*

RfBAqzQ.png
*stands over Grimwulf through the whole night*

4th Opal, 126, Mid-Winter
The Outpost, Sukhavati's Office

dPlxO8I.jpg

u8xu1S4.png
Are you going to unseal the caverns or not?

XHw0wrF.png
For the last time, Besmar - talk to your companions first. You are the only one who petitioned to stay in Redlabored. If the others join y--

u8xu1S4.png
Doesn't work like that, dwarven girl. Open up the caverns. We'll see if there is anything worthwhile lurking down there. Then we decide if we want to stay or not.

XHw0wrF.png
If you don't convince the others, we have nothing to discuss.

u8xu1S4.png
*points his spear at Sukhavati* Careful now. It's not like your so-called "elite unit" can protect you from us and ours.

XHw0wrF.png
Dismissed.

u8xu1S4.png
Heh. *lowers his spear* Feisty. I like 'em feisty. *goes away*

XHw0wrF.png
Next.

OprlNpv.png
hblLrIX.png
*enter the office*

XHw0wrF.png
*sigh* How many of you are still waiting behind this door?

OprlNpv.png
*coughing violently*

XHw0wrF.png
Nevermind. What do you want?

hblLrIX.png
Ahem. Surely you know that I was appointed as the Overseer of Gulag by none other than Kommissar Grimwulf hims--

XHw0wrF.png
To the point, Citizen.

hblLrIX.png
You and I are equals, youngster. I'm holding an administrative position, just like you. If anything, I am your superior. While my husband is Koordinator Consort, which--

XHw0wrF.png
TO THE POINT. I am not interested in your delusional fantasies.

hblLrIX.png
We refuse to work in the masonries. I won't live long enough to see this amount of basalt cut into blocks.

M4asWO9.jpg

hblLrIX.png
According to my estimations, it will take us between 56 and 59 years to finish.

OprlNpv.png
*coughs in approval*

XHw0wrF.png
Fine.

hblLrIX.png
Mmm? What was that?

XHw0wrF.png
I said fine. You may move your belongings to Gulag.

hblLrIX.png
Ahh, that's just--

XHw0wrF.png
I will ask Grimwulf to appoint someone as your Overseer. Prisoners and traitors must be under constant surveillance.

hblLrIX.png
HOW DARE Y--

XHw0wrF.png
Gulag or masonries. Your choice. NEXT!

hblLrIX.png
HMPF!!

hblLrIX.png
OprlNpv.png
*leave the office*

8hAkx33.png
*enters the office*

XHw0wrF.png
What?

8hAkx33.png
I'm Ezum. Ezum Gildbodice. I'm sure you don't know me since I'm one of those "less valuable" dwarves.

XHw0wrF.png
Keep it short.

8hAkx33.png
Do you want us to plant more seeds or go further into the wilderness foraging?

XHw0wrF.png
Prioritize farms. Any other questions?

8hAkx33.png
Keep in mind, there is little space for farming plots in the immediate vicinity.

CwOqF25.jpg

8hAkx33.png
We'll have to plant seeds further away from the Outpost. Significantly further.

nZq4jPt.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
It's a Kommunistic fortress. Do your job.

8hAkx33.png
You want us to keep gathering plants too? Even though it means going far away from the fortress?

XHw0wrF.png
Kommissar's orders. Anything else?

8hAkx33.png
Yes. One last question, if I may. In case somebody attacks Redlabored... Will you wait for all of us to return before closing the gates?

XHw0wrF.png

8hAkx33.png
That's what I thought. *goes away*

XHw0wrF.png
Next.

IPC6oSw.png
*dances his way inside the office*

XHw0wrF.png
What?

IPC6oSw.png
Can I wear silk underwear? And nothing else?

XHw0wrF.png
Get out.

IPC6oSw.png
*goes away with a heavy sigh*

XHw0wrF.png
Next.

nvv7rfL.png
punqU5x.png
*enter the office*

XHw0wrF.png
What?

nvv7rfL.png
Hommm--

XHw0wrF.png
Make it quick, Friend. I don't have time for your moanings.

nvv7rfL.png
... Merc and I are making barrels, as you ordered. Although we have more than we need. Meanwhile, the fortress ran out of bins. Even the ones we have in the bin storage are full. We didn't move them to appropriate storages because we're lacking dwarfpower to do so.

jYLqxL6.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
Keep making barrels.

nvv7rfL.png
But--

XHw0wrF.png
Or talk it over with General Secretary Sqeecoo, I don't care. Go!

punqU5x.png
*pulls his father's hand* Let's go, dad.

nvv7rfL.png
You've changed, Sukhavati.

punqU5x.png
nvv7rfL.png
*go away*

XHw0wrF.png
Next!

vLqtdCv.png
*enters the room*

XHw0wrF.png
To the point.

vLqtdCv.png
The tavern doesn't work.

XHw0wrF.png
Why?

vLqtdCv.png
Too small.

XHw0wrF.png
So?

vLqtdCv.png
I have a solution.

XHw0wrF.png
Which is?

vLqtdCv.png
Take down the eastern "wall". Here, I've made a scheme.

7KKxd9h.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
No. We're using the former Kommissar's quarters as our trash room. Corpses, body parts, refuse - everything that rots and stinks.

vLqtdCv.png
Find another place.

XHw0wrF.png
Like what?

vLqtdCv.png
Has to be close to the surface. Somewhere secluded. A place the komrades don't visit very often.

XHw0wrF.png
Unib's Tomb.

vLqtdCv.png
... *fails to keep a straight face, looking a bit shocked*

XHw0wrF.png
I will order to pile up the trash there and take down the wall.

vLqtdCv.png
... If you'll ever need a performer, I am at your service.

XHw0wrF.png
*nods*

vLqtdCv.png
*leaves the office*

XHw0wrF.png
Next!

10th Opal, 126, Mid-Winter
The Outpost, Tavern

qaIwVac.jpg

CrmPVDL.png
This place is even more repulsing than it was before. Didn't think that was possible. *looking at assorted langur skeletons, dwarven teeth, cartilages, and nerve tissues*

c9XcSR9.png
*looking at Reinhardt*

sG7GS0v.png
*sings a lullaby to her baby* Sleep, sleep, my little oat before Azira slits your throat~

N8jycTw.jpg
durrr

c9XcSR9.png
Awww. Look at them, Mediant. Touching.

CrmPVDL.png
*whispers* Honestly, Reinhardt is a horrible mother. She named her son Reinhardt, son of Reinhardt. She makes him drink the most revolting booze that Eryfkrad made for himself.

XJBH73E.jpg

CrmPVDL.png
Her son is the most miserable child in Redlabored.

In fact, this baby is the only stressed child in the fortress.

iDyDEZx.jpg

N8jycTw.jpg
*shakes his head, trying hard not to drink sewer brew*

sG7GS0v.png
*forcibly pours the brew in her mishappen son*

CrmPVDL.png
Poor kid...

c9XcSR9.png
Hmmm. He looks disturbingly similar to Catacombs. Puzzled.

G51kElb.png
*approaches Mediant and Bliblablubb*

c9XcSR9.png
Chaosdwarft!

G51kElb.png
Hi. I've been outside recently.

CrmPVDL.png
Why?

G51kElb.png
I miss my farming job. Don't tell the manager, please. Anyway, did you know there is a lot of game in the area?

nBjlFcQ.jpg

G51kElb.png
I've never seen so many emu birds in my entire life!

NWDA59q.jpg

c9XcSR9.png
"In your life"? You are only fourteen. Silly!

G51kElb.png
You're right. But still - can't we send any hunters? Andnjord forged plenty of copper bolts, so maybe if I talk to Sukhavati--

CrmPVDL.png
Don't bother the manager with such trivialities. She is a busy dwarf. Besides, our only hunter is currently occupied with death drills.

G51kElb.png
Oh, well...

c9XcSR9.png
Chaosdwarft?

G51kElb.png
Mmm?

c9XcSR9.png
Why is the newcomer staring at you?

G51kElb.png
Who? *turns around*

vLqtdCv.png
*looking at Chaosdwarft from the opposite corner*

G51kElb.png
Is there a problem, friend?

vLqtdCv.png
Problem? No. Just trying to guess your age.

G51kElb.png
Fourteen. It's a hair dye.

vLqtdCv.png
Huh. Some kind of rebel act to prove something to your parents?

G51kElb.png
My parents died the same year I was born.

vLqtdCv.png
... We all die sooner or later.

G51kElb.png
I'm blonde. It's very unusual for our nation, and I couldn't stand the others bullying me as a child, hence the hair dye.

vLqtdCv.png
*examines Chaosdwarft with a somewhat confused expression*

sG7GS0v.png
Hey! Matalarata, right? Could you, ummm--

vLqtdCv.png

sG7GS0v.png
Could you sing a lullaby? For my baby boy?

vLqtdCv.png
No.

sG7GS0v.png
Please? I can't make him sleep. Nothing works.

N8jycTw.jpg
*drooling*

vLqtdCv.png
I hate singing.

sG7GS0v.png
Aren't you a bard..?

vLqtdCv.png
Skald. This fortress has no instruments either.

sG7GS0v.png
Oh, I can improvise some music! You start, I'll follow!

vLqtdCv.png
*long, frustrated sigh* This one's called "The Doom Of The Sleepers"

N8jycTw.jpg
*gapes*

vLqtdCv.png
Always behind you, creeping and sneaking. The Doom Of The Sleepers.

sG7GS0v.png
*stomps*

vLqtdCv.png
Waiting for you to go to your bed. The Doom Of The Sleepers.

sG7GS0v.png
*stomps, stomps*

vLqtdCv.png
Close your eyes, and you'll be dead. The Doom Of The Sleepers.

sG7GS0v.png
*stomps*

vLqtdCv.png
That's all.

N8jycTw.jpg
*frozen in terror*

sG7GS0v.png
He finally calmed down! Awww, thank you so much, Matalarata!

20th Opal, 126, Mid-Winter
The Outpost, Kitchen/Still

cTwZ2Mg.jpg

PV80FJy.png
*enters the kitchen*

DUelvJM.png
Oh hi, Merc!

PV80FJy.png
Sqeecoo. Pardon me, I mean General Secretary Sqeecoo, creator of Artobvod.

DUelvJM.png
Come on, brother! I'm still Sqeecoo for my friends! How's life?

PV80FJy.png
Finished your one-hunderd-barrels-order, at last.

ZYKAJjG.jpg

PV80FJy.png
Went straight to Sukhavati, asking what else is needed of me. She sent me to you.

DUelvJM.png
BARRELS!!!

bjnTlnJ.jpg

PV80FJy.png
... You must be joking. Tell me you're joking.

DUelvJM.png
Without a single BARREL of booze, we might as well be staring into the BARREL of a gun. Therefore I'll not make any other production requests.

Meanwhile in Redlabored

NX1HXxj.jpg

jUUDMXQ.png
*mining in sadness*

hSLowVT.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
3xknlxr.png
*approaching Givi*

jUUDMXQ.png
My fellow miners. *attempts to hug Tindrli*

3xknlxr.png
*pushes Givi away*

XHw0wrF.png
This street was supposed to be dug out yesterday. What's taking you so long?

jUUDMXQ.png
*sigh* What indeed...

3xknlxr.png
We're almost done here, Sukhavati. Food District, Kommunalka, Wood District, Gem District, and the streets - everything has been dug out. Mustawd and Gvi are finishing the last bits.

eWYRC0g.jpg

3xknlxr.png
Do you want us to start mining the rest of Redlabored?

XHw0wrF.png
*ponders*

jUUDMXQ.png
Maybe we can have a vacation..? I would dearly like to work on my newspaper. Maybe even train in wrestling.

XHw0wrF.png
It will take a while to construct the requested facilities. The progress on Food District is going slow.

The black tiles you see is designations to construct floors from basalt blocks. The sorta-transparent walls are designations to construct walls from basalt blocks.

And yes, we're going full construction on this fortress. No stone smoothing, no half-measures. Because I AM YOUR GODDAMN KOMMISSAR! Muh VIZUN!

AtUVhsL.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
That's only one side of the problem. The other is clearing out the fortress. We need to move those boulders to the Stone District.

jUUDMXQ.png
That will take a long while, o great manager.

XHw0wrF.png
I know. If we start digging the rest of the fortress, it will only result in more boulders. More hauling. Less productivity.

jUUDMXQ.png
A vacation then?

3xknlxr.png
No need. We shall mine.

jUUDMXQ.png
:negative:

XHw0wrF.png
Then start mining the layers we already breached. Do not mine deeper, you hear me?

3xknlxr.png
*nods*

XHw0wrF.png
Avoid mining stone - we have plenty. Focus on gems and ores.

jUUDMXQ.png
We're tired. All of us, except Tindrli. We can't go on like that.

XHw0wrF.png
You are free to leave Angèrith anytime you want. Otherwise, stop talking and start working.

jUUDMXQ.png
This is pure torture of my body and soul.

3xknlxr.png
*heads straight to the mines*

XHw0wrF.png
I will join you shortly.

26th Opal, 126, Mid-Winter
Redlabored, Stone District

eZOEN4D.jpg

4o6H0Qw.png
*walks the street towards the masonries*

SGvQrRn.png
2c3ryeE.png
25Ot6SJ.png
nVVdzCd.png
ccuaZQP.png
*everyone steps away in fear, exchanging whispers between themselves*

4o6H0Qw.png
*notices Mustawd at the entrance of the mines* Mustawd..?

44fJDgQ.png
*sits on the stone floor, shaking*

4o6H0Qw.png
What happened?

44fJDgQ.png
Doc... I'm not going down there. I tried. The others are still there mining, but... Doc, these sounds. These horrible, horrible sounds.

4o6H0Qw.png
What sounds? From the caverns, you mean?

44fJDgQ.png
Yes. I never heard anything like that in my entire life. What kind of monstrous creature could possibly sound so genuinely terrifying?

4o6H0Qw.png
I can only imagine.

hDImVWq.jpg

4o6H0Qw.png
But you know what really matters in your current situation?

44fJDgQ.png
What..?

4o6H0Qw.png
Three things. First, the caverns are sealed.

44fJDgQ.png
I know, but--

4o6H0Qw.png
Second, if you refuse to do your job - you will be labeled as a traitor.

44fJDgQ.png
How does t--

4o6H0Qw.png
Third, if you become a traitor, you will face the real monster of Angèrith.

44fJDgQ.png

4o6H0Qw.png
Did I make myself clear?

44fJDgQ.png
... Yes, Kommanding Physician. *grabs his pick and heads downstairs*

1st Obsidian, 126, Late Winter
Redlabored, Barracks

IzKScMe.jpg

qT4LDO9.png
*hacks at Storyfag merrily*

3xGOOtN.png
*suffers*

cifD6gC.jpg

3xGOOtN.png
I GIVE UP! Give up!

qT4LDO9.png
A ha ha ha, come on. Stand up. Today is a HAPPY day!

KuUlcLF.png
Hrm? Jes another shitty day to me.

qT4LDO9.png
Nay! My wife gave birth to a SON!

2B4UuVF.jpg

XySctEP.png
*smiles and pats Kalarion's shoulder* Good job, you two.

nAOBDBR.jpg

qT4LDO9.png
I've heard Andnjord had a son too!

NgREstv.jpg

mWu02P9.png
Never seen so many children in one place.

T5uafTG.jpg

061EwNk.png
*rolls eyes* Children are stupid. Why are you adults are so obsessed with reproduction and fatherhood? Life has no meaning. So all you really "achieved" is the creation of another meaningless living being. Yeah, "congratulations".

CUcEB7R.png
*grunts* Too bad your parents didn't share the same opinion.

KuUlcLF.png
If ya gonna raise another Fedora Master, I see no reason for celebration.

qT4LDO9.png
Come on, Spigot. I learned from my mistakes. Fatherhood is not as simple as it seems.

KuUlcLF.png
That's KOMMANDER SPIGOT for you!

o44H4SR.png
Psst. Spiggy.

KuUlcLF.png
*turns to Brother Frank*

o44H4SR.png
Look at me.

KuUlcLF.png
What?

o44H4SR.png
Look.

KuUlcLF.png

o44H4SR.png

KuUlcLF.png
WHAT?!

o44H4SR.png
Ehehehehe, nothing. Just fucking with you.

oovs6Cs.png
*whispers to Storyfag* Why are you still with my sister?

3xGOOtN.png
I don't know... Love..?

oovs6Cs.png
I remember you from the days you just met her. Completely different dwarf back then.

3xGOOtN.png
... Yeah.

WnVtQf8.png
Quiet, woman! And bring me slaves to sacrifice in the forge!

oovs6Cs.png
You've changed. She changed you, Storyfag.

3xGOOtN.png

KuUlcLF.png
Brother Frank, Storyfag! Sparring session!

3xGOOtN.png
GODS, no! I'm still not recovered fr--

o44H4SR.png
Shhhhhh. I'll be gentle. *KICKS Storyfag right in the ballz*

PAiPZsx.png
GNHHHH

CUcEB7R.png
*raises an eyebrow* Well. That's ONE way to stop baby boom. HAH!

5th Obsidian, 126, Late Winter
Redlabored, Kommissar's Office

lLtAqSI.png
Will you ever GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE, Kalin?!

TWOnKLq.png
HOO HAULD DA WAGUN HER?! ME! Do I git RIKUGNISHIN?! NU!! HOOOOO assugned MASTARD as da miner befur we needad one?? ME!!! Do I git RESPAKT?? NU!!!

lLtAqSI.png
For the last time--

TWOnKLq.png
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROTEKDAD DIS FFFFFFFFFFFFFUCKIN' KASTLE ALL DAT TIME?! KALIN, SON OF FUCKING KALIN!

lLtAqSI.png
God fucking dammit, you annoying piece of--

TWOnKLq.png
DO I GIT A BONAZ?! NUUUUU!!!! *starts toppling the furniture and making a mess in Grimwulf's office, then power-walks outside*

osi5szN.jpg

TWOnKLq.png
*breathes heavily*

IRMYsFk.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
*mumbles under his breath* I'm feeling sumth... Is this empathy..? Or is it my breakfast..?

rcJFDtd.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
Probably breakfast. Gotta love dat deer cake.

Meanwhile on the Surface

SGvQrRn.png
*grabs a wooden log to move it to the Outpost*

ADKR6CA.png
*SHRIEEEEEEEK*

CrmPVDL.png
BOBR! LOOK OUT!

YQ0vmtF.jpg

SGvQrRn.png
*drops the log and reaches for his woodcutter axe*

MW1AxvJ.jpg

CrmPVDL.png
EVERYONE, TO THE OUTPOST! I will call Spigot and the others! *runs to the barracks*

PsllskD.jpg

SGvQrRn.png
Hold your ground, everyone!

8hAkx33.png
I. Hate. Monkeys.

We have four gray langurs on the map, terrorizing our second-class citizens and those working close to the outpost (we need to haul logs every now and then; some go to the surface to fetch water; some are making charcoal).

Be glad it's monkeys, not wolves or something more deadly. And don't worry about the troll and Aril the Forgotten Beast - these are roaming the caverns.

Kogan the goblin hammerman is supposedly a monster hunter. She arrived almost three months ago, but never actually paid us a visit. She's just hanging out at the very edge of the map, observing Redlabored from a distance. None of us made contact with her.

5rS4uqy.jpg

And yes, Kogan is quite well-equipped.

vvuoZH2.jpg

Later that day

KuUlcLF.png
qT4LDO9.png
o44H4SR.png
XySctEP.png
CUcEB7R.png
061EwNk.png
mWu02P9.png
oovs6Cs.png
25fCX9L.png
fEGHlHb.png
*rush to the surface, screaming war cries*

ADKR6CA.png
ADKR6CA.png
ADKR6CA.png
ADKR6CA.png
*attempting retreat to no avail*

To summarize:

- Oso killed two langurs;
- Brother Frank killed one;
- Kalarion killed one;
- LITTUL FAGGUT KRY PUSSY KUNTFACE killed one.

Nobody was hurt, including civilians, except Lagole Lon. He managed to get bitten.

lnzQPkQ.jpg

Nothing a triple-sized candle couldn't fix.

These are simple monkeys, so don't get cocky. A dwarven baby could kill one. Hell, even Reinhard's baby could probably kill one.

wqFlxs6.jpg

yWLVpsL.jpg

QyiEcrQ.jpg

N4ssgcv.jpg

061EwNk.png
Did you see that? See what I did? See the terror in that monster's face?

KuUlcLF.png
What do ya want, a fucking medal?

061EwNk.png
A thanks would be nice. Followed by a war hammer.

KuUlcLF.png
You'll get a nice, sturdy kick on your arse if you don't get back to training. At once!

061EwNk.png
Pffft. Whatevs.

7th Obsidian, 126, Late Winter
Redlabored, Kommissar's Office

XHGhwPf.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
*enters the office* Grimwulf. You called.

lLtAqSI.png
YESH, Sinkin' Vodnik, I had a goddamn PEDESTAL placed inside my office THREE MONTHS ago, and I told you to order someone to fetch COMBINEDSOUND and place it here! WELL??

rsUBCHJ.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
Seriously? That's why you called me?

lLtAqSI.png
I AM NOT HAPPY WITH MY GODDAMN OFFICE!

YYP9alY.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
Do you honestly think this is important?

lLtAqSI.png
This is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT TASK you had, damn you! Also, report on your progress.

XHw0wrF.png
Can it wait? We're mining for gems and ores in the mines.

lLtAqSI.png

XHw0wrF.png
Before you pop a blood vessel, Redlabored is excavated enough for now. I decided to put our mining force to good use while we're waiting for the builders to catch up.

lLtAqSI.png
Hrmpf. How is it down there?

XHw0wrF.png
Hard. But we endure. You should know that there is something lurking just behind the sealed entrance to the caverns.

lLtAqSI.png
Something?

XHw0wrF.png
Something... loud. It took down the door. I guess it's a troll.

lLtAqSI.png
A troll is basically a deer walking on two legs.

XHw0wrF.png
... Sure.

lLtAqSI.png
Let's send the Prolebashers to investigate. Or maybe let those monster hunters prove their worth.

XHw0wrF.png
Let's not. When I said it's a troll, I meant I hope it's a troll. But honestly, who knows?

Meanwhile in the Caverns

o8135AK.jpg
*this HUGE troll, for the first time in her existence, feels tiny and insignificant*

06d1fnZ.png

GdV5HYT.png
*moving towards the troll; each step of its towering legs makes the ground tremble*

tfLOyzk.jpg

o8135AK.jpg
RRRRRUUUUUUUAAAAA *charges at Aril Amsireslul*

GdV5HYT.png
*opens up the MAW, releasing its huge mandibles*

0U6GHXG.jpg

BWA1pb9.jpg
*steps back, trying to stop the blood gushing out*

GdV5HYT.png
*produces a long, deep, echoing rattle*

BWA1pb9.jpg
RUUUAAAA!! *runs behind the beast, hoping to flank it*

GdV5HYT.png
*uses its rear leg to punish this foolish mistake*

80DzRtx.jpg

BWA1pb9.jpg
*SCREAMING in pain*

GdV5HYT.png
*turns around, facing its prey*

BWA1pb9.jpg
RUAAAAA--

GdV5HYT.png
*kicks the troll with supernatural power*

tppzb64.jpg

BWA1pb9.jpg
*falls down, blood is still bursting out from her neck*

GdV5HYT.png
*the central eye is focused on the prey*

BWA1pb9.jpg
*tries to crawl away from the monster with all the strength she has left*

GdV5HYT.png
*stomps on the troll, depriving her of any chance to escape*

ErpMUWc.jpg

BWA1pb9.jpg
*looks at Aril Amsireslul in terror and despair*

GdV5HYT.png
*STOMPS on the troll's head, making a bloody pulp out of it*

9Nfx2eq.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*one of the three eyes takes a glance at the troll's mutilated corpse, while the other two examine the sealed entrance to Redlabored*

Jz09lOG.jpg

20th Obsidian, 126, Late Winter
Redlabored, Andnjord's Workshop

g1HRyj6.jpg

kCv2T60.png
Lizzurd! More bars! I need more bars! And we're all out of charcoal too.

ooDR42Q.jpg

0UY8kAw.png
Kek, what? We have a surplus of everything!

rqSg3Ps.jpg

kCv2T60.png
They are no good for the job.

0UY8kAw.png
Why??

kCv2T60.png
They are stored inside bins.

0UY8kAw.png

kCv2T60.png
Every dwarf knows it's a bad omen to use materials stored inside bins.

DF technical fuckery. To break it down:

1. Lizzurd smelts a chunk of ore into metal bars. He leaves those bars right where there are - at the smelter - and proceeds to look for another chunk of ore.
2. The bars left at the smelter are instantly tagged for hauling to the proper storage. If this storage has bins - the bars are tasked to be placed inside one of those bins.
3. The task is added to the job list. Any dwarf with hauling labor enabled is supposed to haul the metal bar into the bin. Once he finds a moment to spare, that is.
4. Until the task is completed, no other item inside the bin that was assigned as the storage for metal bars can be used by other dwarves.
5. Taking any item from such a bin is against dwarven nature.

kCv2T60.png
What?

0UY8kAw.png
Sukhavati will kill you, no? Yes? Yes.

kCv2T60.png
She is aware of this dreadful situation. Even promised me to "solve" it by assigning a small stockpile near my smithy.

This stockpile "takes" metal bars from the bins nearby and places them right next to Andjord's smithy, while also has "0 bins" setting enabled (each metal bar is stored on its own tile). This normally resolves the problem. But it needs one thing that we lack in Redlabored.

Dwarfpower.

MVTyKvG.jpg

0UY8kAw.png
Wait... So you haven't forged any armor during this Winter..?

kCv2T60.png
Well... I forged some.

0UY8kAw.png
Keeeeeek.

kCv2T60.png
I'm a superstitious dwarf.

Meanwhile in Kommissar's Office

lLtAqSI.png
*wakes up*

TWOnKLq.png

g3uopnP.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
You've been here the whole night?

TWOnKLq.png

lLtAqSI.png
Again?

TWOnKLq.png
Bonaz.

lLtAqSI.png
You could spend your vacation in the tavern, drinking your arse off, enjoying the view.

HvlGD3M.jpg

TWOnKLq.png

lLtAqSI.png
No? Maybe you're feeling creative? I used my Kommissar Powers to unassign all wood crafters, appointing YOU as the only one. That workshop is all yours.

LJzTGpK.jpg

TWOnKLq.png

lLtAqSI.png
Go to the temple. Pray to your Gods.

TWOnKLq.png

lLtAqSI.png
Go outside and wander around a bit. Eat, drink, be merry while you can.

TWOnKLq.png

lLtAqSI.png
... What THE FUCK do you WANT from me, Kalin?!

TWOnKLq.png
You don't care, so don't ask.

OTY9Jdl.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
Then WHY ARE YOU STALKING ME?!

TWOnKLq.png
BONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ!!! :x

Nothing helps, men. I give up. The only thing capable of preventing Kalin's Meltdown is bonaz. I'm dead sirius.

kh8tL9T.jpg

Most of the unsatisfied needs you see have been there for two years now. They constantly spam stressful thoughts in Kalin's deranged mind. What does he need exactly and why can't Redlabored provide? I'll tell you.

1. The need to acquire something. Literally BONAZ. It should go without saying he won't get one.
2. The need to eat "decent meals". Kalin doesn't like deer cake, believe it or not. Superiorly minced intestines on top of minced spleen, spinach leaves, and celery. You gotta be batshit crazy if you don't like it.
3. The need to make trouble. Sorry, but there can be NO TRUBUL in KKK. That's the rules: NO TROUBLE and NO HOMO!
4. The need to be extravagant. In other words, to wear something SNAZZY. Basically, it's a BONAZ again. Fuck you, Kalin.
5. The need to think abstract. Read. Obv he's pretending - we all know he cannot read. There are no books in KKK anyway. Go read Newsflesh instead, it's p. gud.
6. The need to be with family. What family, Kalin?

2RSuGWr.jpg

H04srm9.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
Maybe I should outlaw bad moods..?

TWOnKLq.png
Wut?

lLtAqSI.png
Makes perfect sense. Everyone who is not content will be imprisoned. Maybe even executed. That's... Actually genius!

TWOnKLq.png
Ye wont to IMPRISUN dorfs fer BAD MOOD?!

lLtAqSI.png
Aye. It's the first symptom of mental illness anyway.

1st Granite, 127, Early Spring
The Surface

lslwxLH.jpg

LgM6oR7.png
Been here the whole Winter, Besmar. Starting to feel rusty.

u8xu1S4.png

NkLLPDM.png
Give us a challenge, or kiss my ass goodbye.

u8xu1S4.png
Patience. I have a feeling things are about to change.

Meanwhile in Kommissar's Quarters

XHw0wrF.png
4o6H0Qw.png
DUelvJM.png
KuUlcLF.png
2UdVrLA.png
*enter the room*

lLtAqSI.png
Are we glorious yet?

4o6H0Qw.png
Not yet.

lLtAqSI.png
I fucking knew it. Report.

4o6H0Qw.png
Newborn dwarves are jumping out of wombs all around. I told you they would.

lLtAqSI.png
Yes, but you said eight babies in Autumn.

4o6H0Qw.png
Close enough.

2UdVrLA.png
You're bad at diagnosing, Azira.

rmGc2u1.jpg

4o6H0Qw.png
You're bad at staying loyal, Flower.

lLtAqSI.png
Why can't we make use of child labor again?

4o6H0Qw.png
We do. Everyone in Redlabored gets a job at the age of 12.

lLtAqSI.png
Hrmpf. Should have made it age of 6, like in all progressive fortresses. AWRIGHT, what's with booze and food situation?

DUelvJM.png
Somewhat sufficient, Kommissar.

KOXOeTg.jpg

DUelvJM.png
The best part about our booze stocks is the great variety.

ixLlLkc.jpg

KuUlcLF.png
*spits* Too much wine, not nearly enough rum! Fucking amateurs.

lLtAqSI.png
What's the state of requested facilities?

XHw0wrF.png
Food District is under construction, about 33% of it finished.

ztJKx1X.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
GODDAMIT, YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF--

XHw0wrF.png
Calm down. Due to severe lack of dwarfpower, we cannot clear Food District from boulders in a timely fashion. It would be useless even if we finished construction by now. Therefore, I assigned Kommunalka as the higher priority for builders. It's nearly finished.

u68HAN8.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
The doors and basic furniture is ready as well. With any luck, most of us will have private rooms by the end of Spring.

lLtAqSI.png
*grumbles* Which will inevitably result in more sex and more children. Also, take a note - I prohibit all kids from having a private room. Or any kind of private property for that matter.

XHw0wrF.png
Noted. You should also know that we dug out every single street in the fortress.

vUhFRZz.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
That will improve logistics significantly.

lLtAqSI.png
How's our military doing?

KuUlcLF.png
Shaping up, boss.

pxJ9vER.jpg

KuUlcLF.png
Give us some armor, and we're ready to go.

lLtAqSI.png
Wait, WHAT?! I GAVE THE ORDER TO FORGE DAT ARMOR THREE MONTHS AGO!

XHw0wrF.png
Andnjord is our only smith, unfortunately. He is hard to deal with. But I will.

lLtAqSI.png
Have you completed ANY order from the list?

XHw0wrF.png
Everything that didn't involve Andnjord, yes. On top of that I requested new clothing to be made.

Zi3avvb.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
WHY??

XHw0wrF.png
Same reason I established a tavern. To improve the general mood. It's a quick and effective way to make your dwarves happier.

lLtAqSI.png

XHw0wrF.png
Clothesmaking is barely a distraction, Grimwulf. Our clothiers and leatherworkers will complete it in no time.

Or9stMi.jpg

4o6H0Qw.png
Come on, Grim. Give Sukhavati some credit - making new clothes make sense. Maybe Kalin will find something "snazzy" and finally relax?

lLtAqSI.png
Last time I saw him he was wearing the same rags.

Clothing in DF wears out in time (the "x" symbol before and after the name indicates the condition). Just to remind you:

F2Obm4S.jpg

KALIN, however, is a SPESHUL case. Surely you remember he is not obsessed with hygiene?

CijM6U0.jpg

Now imagine a madman wrapped in dirty rags, covered in sweat, smelling more foul than a goblin dump, walking around the fortress and screaming at everyone, but mostly at Grimwulf. That's Kalin. Best part of it? His clothes are still covered in troglodyte's blood.

bKMG56I.jpg

RIlpJcn.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
Speaking of the devil. Kalin is re-appointed as the Kommander.

KuUlcLF.png
Sure thing, boss.

lLtAqSI.png
SPIGOT, I want you to keep a CLOSE EYE on him. If Kalin goes banans, the Prolebashers MUST put him down! Consider it my goddamn MANDATE!

KuUlcLF.png
*nods after a long, silent pause*

4o6H0Qw.png
Another disturbing matter for discussion is the rapidly increasing popularity of elves in Redlabored.

lLtAqSI.png
Hrm?

4o6H0Qw.png
Ever since we accepted Lithium Flower, every elf-lover of the realm is attracted to the fortress. Take that dwarf Imagine for instance.

2UdVrLA.png
Don't put the blame on me.

4o6H0Qw.png
Already did.

lLtAqSI.png
Deal with it. Spread some tasteful propaganda or sumth, I don't care.

4o6H0Qw.png
Propaganda is my second name.

XHw0wrF.png
That concludes our reports. Am I free to go?

lLtAqSI.png
You wish. Overall, I am disappointed. You've done a shitty job, and now it is high time you

MAKE YOUR KEY CHOICE

Current agenda: Building Priorities

ALL KOMRADES HAVE A VOTE. Take your time, the LP is on pause until Monday (Jan, 27th).

Pick three facilities, starting from top priority (3 points) and ending with the lowest (1 point) that we start working on AFTER we finish Food District and Kommunalka. Wood and Gem Districts will be finished as we go because right now it's nigh impossible to move Helly's shit from there.

Basically, the rules of this poll are the same we had in year 125:

Each komrade casts his vote in the following fashion:
1. (top priority) Textile & Bone Industry. Kalin needs new socks. WE ALL NEED Kalin to have new socks!
2. (high priority) The Crypt. Spigot looks pretty old, and we don't need random corpses laying around Redlabored.
3. (low priority) Military Quarters. Gotta keep dem soldier dwarves happy. They might kill us if we don't.

Then your Kommissar calculates the results. 3 points for top priorities, 2 points for high priorities, 1 point for low priorities.

Just cast your votes and leave the rest to the Kommissar, damn you!

Current options:

1. Metal District.

dY7R4dK.jpg

We have too many goddamn ores waiting to be processed into bars.

yBE68Ju.jpg

Gold nuggets can be processed into gold bars (duh), galena - into lead and silver, tetrahedrite - into copper and sometimes silver.

"B-but we have smelters alrea--"

WHO SAID THAT?! Fucking smartasses, piece of--

The whole POINT of building industrial districts is to create AN INDUSTRY, damn you! We have NO STORAGE SPACE for metal ores. Every furnace operator has to go down into the mines and HAUL the chunk of ore all the way to the smelter, by himself. Those chunks are heavy, and it can take DAYS to smelt a SINGLE one! A proper INDUSTRY needs SPACE and well-planned LOGISTICS in order to be effective!

A thing to keep in mind: we only have one metalsmith (Andnjord). Well, "two" if you count Lithium Flower. Which you should not. On top of that, we have just a single anvil, and no guarantees we can buy or forge another. Constructing Metal District now will only create a basis for a full-scale metal industry sometime in the future. It will also allow us to move metal-related shit from the Stone District that is also dying from the lack of space at the moment.

A technical detail: this district will hold a siege workshop too. Forgot to mark it on the screen.

Completing Metal District unlocks the position of Forgemaster, assigned and commanded by the manager.

2. General Storage.

vBRLO6e.jpg

This facility consists of three buildings:

- Bookkeeper's (General Secretary's) Quarters, complete with office, bedroom, dining room, armory. The quarters will only provide accomodations to the current bookkeeper of Redlabored (right now it's Sqeecoo, later it might be someone else).
- Bin Storage. To store empty BINS! It's important to have separate storage for this purpose.
- General Storage, which will be expanded up and down when we need it. To store general goods, including stuff for trading. It's necessary to have it done before we start moving from the Outpost to Redlabored.

Lack of storage space within Redlabored slows down the production and fucks up logistics.

Completing General Storage allows the bookkeeper to pick an assistant, and boss him/her around (assign labors and such).

3. Military District.

r03QhRR.jpg

It's important to keep our military content, as they are the dwarves who are exposed to stressful situations most often.

You may notice that there is only 8 rooms, not counting the Kommander's Private Quarters. While we have 10 squad members in Prolebashers. That's because one of them will always be the "new guy". Basically, anyone appointed as the 10th member gets the worst equipment, worst treatment, and no private quarters. It's designed this way to emphasize the equality of the other squad members.

The Kommander's Quarters come with office/armory, dining/planning room and bedroom.

Completing Military District allows the Kommander to plan offensive operations, like raids, sieges, razing settlements, rescue operations, and solo missions. In addition, the Kommander will be able to appoint a captain leading a second military squad (this one will sleep in the barracks), consisting of 5 squad members in total. This squad is supposed to be a special operations squad.

4. Hospital.

Using old screen coz I'm lazy

WQtVKJZ.png

A proper hospital. With plenty of beds, traction benches, storage space, and some goddamn water wells. Cleaning wounds is NOT an easy task at the moment. Water is crucial for any kind of medical treatment, not just cleaning those wounds.

Completing the Hospital allows the Kommanding Physician to appoint two additional interns (making it 3 in total) and a Therapist under KP's command. Five dwarves in total working as the medical staff. Therapist may send any dwarf on a vacaion (unassign all labors) if he so desires and the KP approves. The KP has total control over his subordinates.

5. Zoo.

WGFEs93.jpg

Good place to hang out, certainly better than Sukhavati's tavern. Improves the general mood of our population. Consists of:

- Guest Area with caged animals, preferrably popular ones (most dwarves have a soft spot for various creatures, you can see it in their char screens).
- Exotic Beasts area to show-off Redlabored's might in taming the wildlife.
- Training Zone, and also a "pasture" for non-grazers. I'm sick of your pets running amok.
- Storages, mostly for cages. Cages are pretty important in DF. Used to catch and contain anything that moves, also used as a component for cage traps.
- Zookeper's Quarters.

Zookeper is the one resposible for keeping the Zoo (duh) AND animal training in Redlabored. He decides which animals are to be displayed, which ones are trained for war or hunting, which go to the butchery, etc.

Naturally, completing the Zoo unlocks the position of Zookeper, assigned and commanded by the manager.

6. Prison

CFQQSFK.png

Capable of containing 32 inmates, 4 prison guards, and Guard Captain.

Basically, Guard Captain is leading a separate squad of fortress guards who train in their own barracks. They are responsible for Upholding justice in Redlabored.

8BeeAY5.jpg

The game says there are no criminals. This is not true. In fact, there is no justice system, therefore, no way of reporting crimes. But everyone keeps a book of grudges, so once the prison is functional - we'll get plenty of criminals to punish.

Completing Prison unlocks the position of Guard Captain, appointed by voting, and reporting to the Kommissar directly. To ease things up a bit, our Guard Captain will ALSO serve as the hammerer (basically a dwarven executioner). In terms of conscription, Guard Captain is free to conscript anybody. If he enlists a dwarf that Kommander also wanted, the one who called dibs first gets the dwarf.

7. Temples.

LjZ5cDI.png

Plus the temple of Ecum Fairrighteous which I forgot about.

310p4z4.png

A good way to improve the general mood of more religious dwarves. Each temple will hold statues, altars, musical instruments, and dance floors. We'll start with temples devoted to more popular Gods like Olon, Uzol, Deler, and end up with the likes of Shash, Kulet, and Shoduk.

Right after building the temples a position of the High Priest will be unlocked. Appointed via voting, reporting to the Kommissar directly. High Priest will be in charge of the temples, propaganda, and investigating HERESY.

8. The Crypt.

0r3u5d5.jpg

On the screenshot, you can see the entrance, not the actual crypt. It takes some planning to come up with a layout, and I gotta make sure it doesn't "clash" with our water system, so have some goddamn patience.

The Crypt is a place for burial AND hanging out. Statues, engraving, memorial slabs, and Hall of Fame for our famous heroes. Which we have none.

As I stated in previous updates, it's very important to have vacant tombs on the ready at all times. Besides, as our fortress grows, some of us (me) will DEMAND a proper tomb for themselves, properly decorated and stylish.

Completing the Crypt unlocks the position of Tombkeeper, assigned and commanded by the manager, and responsible for all engravings done in Redlabored.

9. Textile and Bone Districts.

ERhGarA.jpg

These are two separate districts, but since they are rather small, I figured we can do them simultaniously.

I'll spare you the technicalities. These districts are used to produce anything made of cloth, leather, bones, and various animal parts. YES, we can SORTA make half-arsed clothing right now, but we're talking INDUSTRIES here! Besides, building a proper Textile District allows us to free some space in the Wood District that we're using for clothesmaking atm. Instead of processing wood. Okay? Okay.

Completing Textile District will unlock Fashionmaker position, appointed and commanded by the manager.

Completing Bone District will unlock Bonegrinder position, appointed and commanded by the manager.

10. Stone Garden.

CYTLpm4.jpg

A dedicated place for statues and waterfalls. Yes, we'll have waterfalls. Don't ask.

One might think that Stone Garden is irrelevant, just another Kommissar's weird shtick. Well. First of all, I'll find you. And second, this is the MOST high-traffic zone in the fortress. All of us pass through this area on a constant basis. If we place artsy statues and create waterfalls, it will improve the general mood BIG TIME.

In case you didn't know, all dwarves absolutely love MIST. The thing that's happening when water falls into water. Mist. It's the fucking best.

Completing Stone Garden unlocks no new positions or abilities.

11. Museum.

gYLajGi.jpg

A place of thousand pedestals. Well, maybe not thousand. But still.

We shall display artifacts, skulls of legendary enemies, various piece of art, etc. Great place to hang out, improve mood, show-off. It will attract both migrants and aggressors. Also, there will be a treasure vault, not planned out yet (ITZ coming).

Completing the Museum unlocks the position of Treasurer, appointed and commanded by the manager.

12. Library.

qE4OIhL.jpg

God farkin' dammit. This library needs some major adjustments. Maybe later.

Fun fact: a library is the best place to form bonds, find new friends, lovers, partners, etc. Because the dwarves spend more time discussing various subjects than actually reading about them. We shall store books, write new pieces, study the old ones. A place of progress, discovery, and fun.

Completing the Library unlocks the position of Lorekeeper, appointed and commanded by the manager.

13. Grand Hall.

CkokEZQ.jpg

Because Sukhavati's tavern sucks.

Keep in mind, Grand Hall is a Megaproject. Why? Because I AM YOUR GODDAMN KOMMISSAR! I want HIGH CEILING, and I want it ENGRAVED!

Do I need to explain the benefits of Grand Hall? Hopefully not. The best place to have fun and improve mood. And our Food District is kind of useless without Grand Hall. But it will take a long while to construct.

Completing the Grand Hall unlocks the position of Spymaster, appointed via voting and reporting to the Kommissar directly. No time to explain.

14. Skullfort.

PybGlgo.jpg

Our first line of defense against external threats. A Megaproject, naturally. High walls, traps, and a tower.

Completing the Skullfort will allow the Kommander to conscript five additional recruits (10 once our population hits 120 mark) to form a squad of marksdwarves, under the marksdwarf captain, appointed and commanded by the Kommander. They will have separate barracks, archery range, storage for ammunition - right below the Tower of Smells.

ADMINISTRATIVE VOTING

Sukhāvatī

Your tavern doesn't work. Komrades hate it. Remember, you can reverse it to dining room (no fun allowed), or appoint a perfrormer/tavern keeper/both any time you want.

In addition to that, you a free to follow Kalin's advice (unseal the caverns, wait for the monster hunters to go there, re-seal the caverns, wait for loot). Be warned, shit might hit the fan if you roll with it.

There are two problems you must address.

1. Mining Priorities.

Tindrli is your Head Miner at the moment. You've excavated Redlabored to an extent, and you will resume working on the fortress layer when such need arises (closer to completion of the current facilities). Digging Redlabored now means more boulders to haul. At the moment we lack the dwarf power to clear even existing facilities. Hell, MY GODDAMN PRIVATE QUARTERS ARE FULL OF THOSE FFFFUKCING BOULDERS!

As of now, your team (Tindrli, you, Givi, Mustawd) are mining for metal ores (gold, copper, lead, silver) and very occasional gems, down in the mines. You don't go deeper than 50 levels below ground (that's how deep Helly went during her hellish reign). You avoid going anywhere near the caverns.

Do you want to change anything in that algorithm?

1.1. No. Looks fine. We'll be mining for metals in safety, and dig out Redlabored when needed.
1.2. Yes. Let's excavate the whole fortress. I will deal with boulders later.
1.3. Yes. I want to dig deeper. I'm curious what we gonna find below.
1.4. Yes. I want to unseal the caverns and mine for gems and metals there.
1.5. Yes. I want to halt all mining. We will only take our picks when Redlabored needs more excavation for the upcoming facilities. Meanwhile, the mining team will do other work.

Remember, you volunteered to work in the mines, but nobody is forcing you to do it.

2. The Lack Of Dwarfpower.

Don't be fooled by our current number of citizens.

QP5qj86.jpg

With 30 children, 10 soldiers, 6 administrators, you can only be bossy to half of our current population. Half of that half is lazy and/or incompetent. Nearly 20 of your workers are second-class citizens, farmers and gatherers, surface workers.

Meanwhile, NOTHING gets hauled in the fortress. Not the body parts in your tavern, not Combinedsound that MUST be moved inside Kommissar's Office ASAP, not materials for our industries - NOTHING gets moved. That's because every grunt worker is too busy CONSTRUCTING.

What is your solution?

2.1. I see no problem. Our builders will start hauling eventually.
2.2. Hold. Mah. Screwdriver.
(pick ANY number of options from the list)
- Prohibit foraging. This way our farmers will free up their schedule. Once they finish planting and harvesting, they will haul and build.
- Prohibit foraging AND farming. Assign all second-class citizens for grunt work.
- Separate builders from haulers. Assign dedicated haulers, whose job will be hauling only. That might slow down our construction, though.
- Prohibit smelting. We have enough metal bars, and no dwarfpower to haul metal ores or work the smelters. We need more builders.

That is all for now, HOWEVER you are free to plug your own ideas and adjustments. Anything you want, as long as it is within your authority (unrelated to healthcare, military, etc).

Kalin

You goddamn raving madman. As always, you are free to adjust your squad in any way you wish. On top of that, some komrades complain about beastlike sounds coming from the caverns. If you wish to investigate, I will order to unseal the entrance and let your squad do your job. If you manage to pull something HEROIC and bring me TROPHIES, I will award you. Not with a bonus, you dimwit, I mean a favor.

1. Da Prulebashas will go duwn an' kill whatevur! DAS RITE, gud ol' MURDURMASHIN KALIN!

2. Sounds liek BAD JUJU down there! Fak dat!

Forgot to say, YOU ARE GOING INSANE. You know that, right? Dwarven mental breaks are irreversible. Once you go insane - you will DIE, one way or another! Be it suicide, starvation, or going berserk on the whole fortress - DAS IT for you! So if ye have any BRIGHT ideas on how to preserve your sanity, NOW is the time to spit it out!

That said, training and teaching beating the hell out of Lagole improves the mood too. Your barracks might be your salvation.

sqeecoo

As always, you are free to "fix" the various "shortages" of Redlabored. Whatever you feel like. Wooden crowns? We'll make wooden crowns. Enormous corkscrews? Can do them too.

Azira

As always, feel free to do whatever you want with your intern. Your little hospital is fully supplied and functional, giving the limitations of our Outpost. She can't do anything else for it.

2P55n8n.jpg

Blibls is knitting socks, doing occasional grunt work, and drinking merrily in the tavern. For the most part.

Also, you've been feeling strange lately. You feel the urge to spill blood.

Choose a stray animal to butcher:

MF1jeQn.jpg

1. Duck.
2. Turkey.
3. Rooster.
4. Kill. Them. All.
5. Must... Resist... (roll a d6)
- 5-6 is success, the animals are safe. Good thing too, coz they are useful animals.
- 4 is a failure, you butcher a rooster.
- 3 is a failure, you butcher a turkey.
- 2 is a failure, you butcher a duck.
- 1 is a critical failure, you butcher them all.

Lithium Flower

You get nothing for now. Still waiting for the merchants.

Last edited:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Metal District - 3 pts (armor is important)
Prison - 2 pts (ability to chain unwanted elements is important (keep a few cold cases at all times as a way to swiftly deal with troublemakers by sticking them in a cell!))
Grand Hall - 1 pts (mood improver, esp. if filled with statues, display cases and stuff)

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Metal District (3 pts) - It's all about metal, you fucking posers.
Prison (2 pts) - Kalin will break soon, or throw a tantrum. We have to lock him there. Maybe I will be the one to arrest him.
Temple of Uzol, the God of Metal (1 pts) - The one tr00 god. I don't want any other temples. Or maybe... I can allow some smaller churches made from wood...

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Kalin

You goddamn raving madman. As always, you are free to adjust your squad in any way you wish. On top of that, some komrades complain about beastlike sounds coming from the caverns. If you wish to investigate, I will order to unseal the entrance and let your squad do your job. If you manage to pull something HEROIC and bring me TROPHIES, I will award you. Not with a bonus, you dimwit, I mean a favor.

1. Da Prulebashas will go duwn an' kill whatevur! DAS RITE, gud ol' MURDURMASHIN KALIN!

2. Sounds liek BAD JUJU down there! Fak dat!

I guess Grimwulf must be tired of this LP if he even gives that option.
I don't think we can defeat this beast. And even if we can somehow pull it off, the Beast has a randomly generated magical HIV. There's a non-zero chance any contact with blood will start causing a contagious necrosis.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Metal District - 3 pts (armor is important)
Prison - 2 pts (ability to chain unwanted elements is important (keep a few cold cases at all times as a way to swiftly deal with troublemakers by sticking them in a cell!))
Grand Hall - 1 pts (mood improver, esp. if filled with statues, display cases and stuff)
This. And if you need a lazy bastard to oversee haulers and logistics, maybe my dwarf would be of use?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I guess Grimwulf must be tired of this LP if he even gives that option.

I've been providing ridiculously stupid options throughout this LP. KKK is all about freedom of choice.

Gonna vote later, but just this. WHY OH WHY do you have to mine out entire sections only to replace them with constructed blocks!?!?!?!?!

MUH VIZUN :argh:

Also, when you smooth out different kinds of sections (e.g. walls with gems), it looks ugly on StoneSense and Armok Vision. Look at this old-ass screen:

cVOED0g.png

The floor inside Kalin's barracks is smoothed, not constructed (yet). It's partly green. Because there used to be gems there.

Also, constructing a fortress improves its overall value.

That's all pretty irrelevant, though. We're doing this via construction because MUH VIZUN! I AM YOUR GODDAMN KOMMISSAR!

hello friend

Arcane
Stone Garden - 3 pts
Crypt - 2 pts (I'd like to volunteer for the Tomb Keeper job)
General Storage - 1 pt

nvv7rfL.png

Sukhāvatī, you seem different lately. Don't forget that you are alive.

When you remember again, your momentary reprieve will make your remembrance all the heavier. There are no breaks in life. Just gotta keep going. Sukha, friend. Never forget.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Metal District - 3 pts (sounds legit)
General Storage - 2 pts (ordo ab chao)
Military district - 1 pt (our goys deserve it)

Muh update!

:love:

And I managed to turn the tavern in a den of horror and flatulence!

Dat babby dorf looks like something straight out of my adventure tho :lol:

Ye r no soldier! Yarr fightin' worse than a WOMAN, Oso!

I have a suspect he isn't even a bear, just a poser...

*spits* Too much wine, not nearly enough rum! Fucking amateurs.

:obviously:

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
General Storage (3 pts) - Lack of storage space within Redlabored slows down the production and fucks up logistics.
Stone Garden (2 pts) - it will improve the general mood BIG TIME.
Skullfort (1 pts) - Our first line of defense against external threats.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
ccuaZQP.png
Priority number one is to GIVE DA MAN HIS BONAZ! :mob:
I deserve one as well.

3 Metal District (because it's already half-done and we're dwarves)
2 Stone Garden (because we would be able to drown excess citizens)
1 General Storage (or store them in bins)

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
14. Skullfort. 3

Because this sounds like fun.
Because traps.
And because we'll soon get reckt by gobs if we don't do nothing.

12. Library. 2

Because only righteous learning can defeat the evils of kommunism.
Because we can make our own works, and sell them.
Because I can multiclass as a Fighter Monk (tm)

10. Stone Garden 1

Because Helly would have loved a garden made of stone with no greenery anywhere.
Because waterfalls.
Because not getting crazy sounds good.

vazha

Arcane
Cant believe we are wasting time voting on construction plans, instead of discussing HOW (and not when and if) to vanquish that mighty beast down below.

Also, this is how I imagine Matalarata 's lullaby would sound like:

On Kalin, maybe gift him the lion tamarin? that would satisfy both his need to acquire something and to be closer to family.

p.s. great update, as always.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Voting:
3. General storage; and not because my quarters are included (thoughtfully positioned near the BINS, thank you). This gets three points for me because sufficient and properly arranged storage space is the very core of every good fortress.
But in a Kommunist fortress, the place storing the fruits of the people's labor should be a source of pride and joy for the whole fortress. Walking through endless aisles of carefully stacked boxes filled with the bountiful products of the honest labor of Kommunist dwarves will bring a tear to the eye of any true ideologue and fortify one's faith in Kommunism.
Therefore my agenda is to commission statues to place in the general storage area to honor the labor of the dwarves and the sacredness of the storage area. A small meeting place in a central location among the aisles used to discuss the common truths felt in the hearts of every good Kommunist dwarf or to simply sit and gaze at the fruits of our labor would also be appropriate.

2. Prison.

and 1. Crypt.

Simply put, we have rudimentary versions of other facilities but not of these two, so those should be the priority.

Furthermore, I knew I should have commissioned more BINS. Goddammit! How could I be so blind! We have already run out! Making more is the absolute top priority for the fortress, and I must sound the alarm on this crucial issue. BINS must be the watchword of this fortress, and every dwarf should focus their hearts and minds on molding themselves to become more like this infinitely useful, yet pure and simple tool of Kommunism. A BIN in every workplace, in every household, and in every room, that is not only a necessity but the very essence of Kommunism.

----

Seriously man, great update. You really make the fortress come to life and adapt the story to the actual personalities and mental state of the dwarves as well as their RL counterparts. And I actually kinda like these updates where there's not too much drama but we just slowly improve our situation to make it slightly less shitty. This gives me hope, friends, hope that the world can become a better place, for even a place Redlabored can marginally improve.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
And if you need a lazy bastard to oversee haulers and logistics, maybe my dwarf would be of use?

If Sukhāvatī doesn't mind assigning one of our best brewers for overseeing hauling - sure.

Priority number one is to GIVE DA MAN HIS BONAZ!

As soon as he DESERVES one! :argh: Kalin was a COMPLETE FUCKING FAILURE so far!

p.s. great update, as always.
Seriously man, great update.

Tanks. This one was the hardest to write so far. Too many technically weird shit happened in Redlabored, too many technical explanations were needed to ensure you can make sense of things. On top of that, we had a mighty uneventful Winter overall. Which gave us a much-needed respite after Helly's management and allowed to somewhat improve the current situation. But man. Is it a boring read. We'll see what Spring will bring.

What I forgot to mention is this: due to DF technical mumbo-jumbo, every unit can only occupy a single square, be it a snail or a dragon. That doesn't mean each unit is of the same size.

Aril Fishmenaces the Forgotten Beast is GIGANTIC. Think real life dinosaur - this kind of gigantic. The troll vs Aril encounter didn't last for long, not even half of a single page.

DDQyhDP.jpg

We're talking seconds. That's how long it took the beast to get rid of troll. A troll. Giant-ass monster. Kalin wasted more time killing a human-sized troglodyte.

That said, killing such a creature would bring us plenty of benefits.

- More monster hunters will come
- Stupid amounts of meat (can't really remember if "deadly blood" creatures are edible, though)
- So many bones we'll keep Sqeecoo busy for months
- A GLORIOUS skull to display

Also, like most of Forgotten Beasts, this creature left a significant mark in history. It was mentioned before in this LP. That's why Kalin gets a favor in case he manages to kill it.

Furthermore, I knew I should have commissioned more BINS. Goddammit! How could I be so blind! We have already run out! Making more is the absolute top priority for the fortress, and I must sound the alarm on this crucial issue. BINS must be the watchword of this fortress, and every dwarf should focus their hearts and minds on molding themselves to become more like this infinitely useful, yet pure and simple tool of Kommunism. A BIN in every workplace, in every household, and in every room, that is not only a necessity but the very essence of Kommunism.

Cracked me up. :lol:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Construction priorities:
1) General Stores
2) Stone Garden
3) Zoo

Bliblablubb is sorta just lounging around for now, isn't she? She's a strong dwarf. She could help haul stuff when she's not needed in the hospital.

Also, that duck looks delicious. Let's kill it!

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Great update as usual, friend!

Most important: Hospital! Gimme dat (official) therapist action!
Second important: Stone garden! May as well make something look nice in this hole.
Third important: General Storage! Barrels. Yes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom