Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791461982085/announcements/detail/3093344592976698702

Hello Insomniacs!

Brace yourselves for a few quick updates =)

Our team has made progress on ~25% of the bugs that we wanted to address with update 1.7. Current plans are to begin testing this initial batch of fixes in February, while the dev team is busy working on the remaining issues. As a quick reminder - v1.7 is meant to introduce 100+ most requested/high priority fixes and changes to the game, including things like companions going berserk and arbitrarily attacking NPCs, issues with unlocking certain achievements and other bugs of varying difficulty.

52b8760b6e4a7611154822cc752a2d4cbb6fb05c.png

In addition to that, INSOMNIA was released on GOG last week which means we will soon begin sending out DRM-free keys to our Kickstarter backers.

12f9f0516eee799cdce0840a0a8d6b034bfda712.jpg

One more thing - as requested by a few members of our community, we’ve updated the game’s soundtrack in the Deluxe Set and OST DLC’s, so that the tracks are in both the MP3 and FLAC formats.

Until next time!
Oh boy, can't wait to put aside my playthrough and start ALL OVER AGAIN.

Murk

Arcane
So far the 'bugs' (other than the storage container one) haven't been an issue, but they do make for some bumps.

Some NPCs don't take items out of your inventory when you complete a quest (though perhaps it's for the best that I didn't give a child a pistol).

Some things, like repairing a generator or computer with a quest associated payoff from an NPC recycle back to "unfixed" but upon refixing them, the NPC doesn't re-reward you. Which makes sense that you can't repeat the quest, but weird that you can re-repair them.

Similarly, some areas refresh their lootable containers. I'm not sure what the trigger for it is though, but for example in Thyper's hideout I was able to leave and come back and all enemies/containers were refreshed. Which I guess means easy farming but I only left to sell shit before confronting the final guy.

My favorite parts so far are the random encounters -- man I wish the map was open range and I could go check out the Junkyard area I keep hearing about. hopefully that will come about eventually.

Murk

Arcane
So I'm kind of stuck and not having much luck googling it. Would appreciate input on the 'Bane of Mills' quest line.

I'm trying to find Thyper and was routed by Morthy (heh) to go talk to Dr. Onner. I did, but apparently I picked the wrong dialog options, cuz he told me to fuck off and now won't talk to me about Thyper at all anymore.

Am I boned? Do I have to hack his computer? Or is there a route I'm not understanding?

Morthy mentioned the crabman in the rusty arena (not available to me, unless I missed it somewhere else) and some lady with messed up skin -- but despite checking everywhere I could think of, can't find her. So am I Fucked or what?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So I'm kind of stuck and not having much luck googling it. Would appreciate input on the 'Bane of Mills' quest line.

I'm trying to find Thyper and was routed by Morthy (heh) to go talk to Dr. Onner. I did, but apparently I picked the wrong dialog options, cuz he told me to fuck off and now won't talk to me about Thyper at all anymore.

Am I boned? Do I have to hack his computer? Or is there a route I'm not understanding?

Morthy mentioned the crabman in the rusty arena (not available to me, unless I missed it somewhere else) and some lady with messed up skin -- but despite checking everywhere I could think of, can't find her. So am I Fucked or what?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/783170/discussions/0/1729837292632006434/

Murk

Arcane

Thanks, but I was able to get into his hideout (that's where I rescued Morthy from). The issue is the next step, since my journal just keeps saying "talk to Dr. Onner" and he doesn't even have the option to ask about Thyper anymore.

edit: tracked down a let's play that shows the location where to go (rather, what the doc says if you pick the right dialog options) but no clue if just going there will work or if I need the quest-line to trigger.

edit 2: bust. oh well, RIP.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane

Eh, you experienced the majority of the decent content the game had to offer by that point anyway, so don't feel too bad.

Pretty hilarious they still have game breaking moments like this. It really sounds they've hardly fixed a thing still. Those patch updates are absolutely PR smokescreen.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Thanks, but I was able to get into his hideout (that's where I rescued Morthy from). The issue is the next step, since my journal just keeps saying "talk to Dr. Onner" and he doesn't even have the option to ask about Thyper anymore.

edit: tracked down a let's play that shows the location where to go (rather, what the doc says if you pick the right dialog options) but no clue if just going there will work or if I need the quest-line to trigger.

You have to talk to the doctor in the district 106,the one where his hideout is. If you can't talk to him then hack his computer,then you will get the information you need.

Murk

Arcane
You have to talk to the doctor in the district 106,the one where his hideout is. If you can't talk to him then hack his computer,then you will get the information you need.

So hacking it is, though it means I'll have to grind 2 more skill points to be able to do it.

Might try that if I have some spare time, but not terribly excited by the prospect.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Same, I’ve got a GOG key for anyone who would like it (and play the game). I just ask that you leave a fair review if you take the key.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/783170/announcements/detail/1708489589126707614

V1.7 update, cloud saves and more backer rewards
273775b668e8105442e9cb1784c8d0135ee43ab5.png

Hello Insomniacs!

Quick updates coming your way in 3...2...1!

Bug fixes in 1.7

We are glad to announce that 64 of the 70 issues targeted in the coming patch have a ‘fixed’ status assigned by the dev team. QA will be taking a look at the game build in the coming 2 weeks. We will let you know as soon as the patch is marked ready for release, if everything goes according to plan.

In the meantime, the dev team will focus on the remaining 6 high level bugs that proved to be a bit more challenging to tackle than expected.

Steam cloud saves

We’ve noticed that cloud saves were acting strangely the last few weeks, but thankfully, the issue was resolved fairly quickly. Cloud saves should be available to everyone and work as intended.

Kickstarter rewards

In January, we’ve started sending out physical rewards to our Kickstarter backers. You have already seen photos of T-shirts and artbooks in earlier updates. Now it's time for the game itself!

Many, many years ago, at the time of the first Kickstarter campaign, optical discs were most commonly used for storing data. But those days are almost behind us. That is why we’ve decided to provide a DRM free version of the game on branded USB sticks to those backers that pledged for the appropriate reward tier.

b07974688e5dfcb80b4f5d28e3c59c25c5640d06.jpg

Hundreds of gift boxes have already been sent out with more physical rewards to come.

Until next time!

Sòren

Arcane
the game is great. thirty hours in and didn't encounter a single major bug (some minor tho, like items not taken out of ur inventory when finishing a quest etc).

i didn't expect anything when starting it, just thought about giving it a try, but the depth of this game is amazing. artstyle might look like bioshock or some other garbage, but it's actually a lot more varied and tasteful. i love the armor design too, probably the game with the best looking armors in the last few years.

i like the combat, haven't played a game where switching between long-, mid-range and hand-to-hand combat made that much sense. every bullet counts, u die as quickly as ur enemies.

and it's huge. probably the biggest RPG in the last years.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Key to it all is obviously GAMEPAD SUPPORT.

Briefly played thanks to agris. Woke up, chose Tector. Intrigued so far.

Sultan

Novice
Patron
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I had no idea this was still being worked on, but I remember seeing it a long time ago. The next time this goes on sale on GOG, I might grab it.

Jinn

Arcane
Happy to hear you're enjoying the game, Sòren. I just wanted to ask what you meant by a couple things, though.

but the depth of this game is amazing

This, as I felt the lack of depth of the systems was one of the more disappointing aspects of the game for me, often times making the game feel more like an action-adventure game with RPG elements, rather than an RPG.

and

and it's huge. probably the biggest RPG in the last years.

I never felt it was particularly "huge." The lack of a ton of unique environments and many such environments feeling rather linear made me feel this way. What gives you this impression the most?

artstyle might look like bioshock or some other garbage, but it's actually a lot more varied and tasteful. i love the armor design too, probably the game with the best looking armors in the last few years.

These are by far some of the greatest strengths of the game, however. I do agree.

Sòren

Arcane
Happy to hear you're enjoying the game, Sòren

This, as I felt the lack of depth of the systems was one of the more disappointing aspects of the game for me, often times making the game feel more like an action-adventure game with RPG elements, rather than an RPG.

sure, the rpg mechanics in itself are nothing special (i appreciate that every skillpoint is valuable tho, a thing that few rpgs get actually right; and i felt like the game opened up to other mechanics the more i progressed in the mainquest - sneaking, secondary weapons, grenades, power armor). was mainly referring to plot and gameworld. it opens up step by step, the first missions seem pretty generic, u are doing ur duty as a soldier and shoot some terrorists. and then u start to understand more about somnia, the lore, the intentions of ur direct superiors and the leaders in urb, the relationship between rebels and military. "oh so riebel isn't only a generic questgiver. and the rebels aren't what they seem either. and it looks like the reason why they had to leave their homeplanet wasn't just a simple war." don't know how satisfying the conclusion will be, but right now it's very fascinating.

btw i like the squad military missions. of course it's u - as the player - that gets shit done in the end, but u actually feel part of a bigger workforce. it seems "professional".

I never felt it was particularly "huge." The lack of a ton of unique environments and many such environments feeling rather linear made me feel this way. What gives you this impression the most?

as i said, i'm thirty hours in and it doesn't seem like i'm close to the ending (still a lot sidequests open and before the decision to support sons of morah or bea kera). 60 hours seem like a good estimate, and i hardly know any rpg with that much playtime. also, u visit most of the locations multiple times and as u progress through the main quest, new sidequests open up (especially in military base, vulture nest, d-106, somnia). the game gives me a reason to care about locations instead of abandoning them. in addition to that, many different random encounters. much more than i have seen in other games of that kind. like the exploration too btw, a lot of stuff to do and see; and no quest compass.
but yeah, the areas are linear, mostly.

Jinn

Arcane
was mainly referring to plot and gameworld.

Ah yes, I would agree with you there as well. I found the setting, lore, and concept of the game to be quite deep and the most satisfying parts of it, to be sure.

as i said, i'm thirty hours in and it doesn't seem like i'm close to the ending (still a lot sidequests open and before the decision to support sons of morah or bea kera). 60 hours seem like a good estimate, and i hardly know any rpg with that much playtime. also, u visit most of the locations multiple times and as u progress through the main quest, new sidequests open up (especially in military base, vulture nest, d-106, somnia). the game gives me a reason to care about locations instead of abandoning them. in addition to that, many different random encounters. much more than i have seen in other games of that kind. like the exploration too btw, a lot of stuff to do and see; and no quest compass.
but yeah, the areas are linear, mostly.

I finished my playthrough in about 46 hours, having done a great majority of the side content, from what I could tell. I was pretty thorough about sussing out every side-quest I could and talking to everyone when I returned to a location. Random encounters were often repeated for me, and again, in repeatedly used locations. I wasn't very impressed with them. Exploration at first glance seems decent, but ultimately there is very little that makes exploration actually rewarding. Occasionally you'd find a nice piece of armor/weapon, or an interesting encounter off the beaten path (I can only think of one, though), but ultimately it seemed like there was huge potential for fun and interesting exploration that didn't really ever come to fruition. Much like the rest of the game beyond the prior-mentioned aesthetic considerations, unfortunately.

To me, it still feels like the "gameplay" part of Insomnia was barely out of alpha upon release. Things like character progression and equipment progression seem to have everything you would want out of an RPG, until you realize there is hardly any use for the skills you invest points in and that the equipment upgrades are few and far between. In my case, I had some of - if not the best - equipment you could get about 20 hours into my playthrough. It's at about that point I felt my character progression in general had become largely pointless too. You can see the intention to take it in great directions, but it tends to be just enough to carry the player through the excellent setting and intriguing storyline. It really is a decent game though, despite it very clearly being unfinished from a gameplay perspective.

My greatest hope is that they'll be able to do a sequel someday, maybe reign in their scope a bit, and shape actually compelling gameplay around their wonderful aesthetic imagination. Unfortunately, I have great doubt that will ever become a reality.

Sòren

Arcane
Random encounters were often repeated for me, and again, in repeatedly used locations.

off the top of my head i can remember quite a few of unique and interesting random encounters. four boss fights - master-b, bill (or bull? has a unique shotgun), a former master of the arena (with an unique item too), rezo on a bridge. then there was a hunter that u later meet at your headquarter, adding u another quest. other one where a bunch of people in armors that remind of insects or turtles (didn't see them anywhere else till now) remove the fungi with flamethrowers. one or two different assaults on fellow military patrols (those had pretty challengening encounters). i also found a gasmask somewhere, but i don't really remember when that happened.

I wasn't very impressed with them. Exploration at first glance seems decent, but ultimately there is very little that makes exploration actually rewarding. Occasionally you'd find a nice piece of armor/weapon, or an interesting encounter off the beaten path (I can only think of one, though), but ultimately it seemed like there was huge potential for fun and interesting exploration that didn't really ever come to fruition. Much like the rest of the game beyond the prior-mentioned aesthetic considerations, unfortunately.

u are right, exploration is mainly important if u are low on money or ressources, in the beginning. there are hardly any armors or weapons to be found in the gameworld (outside of quests).

Things like character progression and equipment progression seem to have everything you would want out of an RPG, until you realize there is hardly any use for the skills you invest points in and that the equipment upgrades are few and far between.

i wouldn't say that. true, there are few ocassions that require a certain skill threshold, but overall every skillpoint improves ur performance in one way or another. mainly better sneaking, more damage, more exp, more armor, health, carrying capacity....computer seems very much underused tho.

My greatest hope is that they'll be able to do a sequel someday, maybe reign in their scope a bit, and shape actually compelling gameplay around their wonderful aesthetic imagination. Unfortunately, I have great doubt that will ever become a reality.

it's a shame, truly. so much talent and hardly anyone to appreciate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom