Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex Kommunistic Kastle. Fortress. Dwarf Fortress.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Agreed with the bois, awesome update! That thing in the caverns is scary.

1. General storage.
This could potentially improve working on all other projects, right? No brainer.
2. Crypt.
Looks like rather small project so we can probably make it happen pretty fast. That would mean, one less thing to worry about, right?
3. Metal industry.
Metal ist krieg.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
As soon as he DESERVES one! :argh: Kalin was a COMPLETE FUCKING FAILURE so far!
Well, he did kill that naked homeless thing that tried squatting in our basement.
And he guarded you while you've slept. Grim and Kalin are almost like Timon and Pumbaa Putin and Sechin.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
ADMINISTRATIVE VOTING

@Sukhāvatī

1. Mining Priorities.

Do you want to change anything in that algorithm?

1.2. Yes. Let's excavate the whole fortress. I will deal with boulders later.

1.5. Yes. I want to halt all mining. We will only take our picks when Redlabored needs more excavation for the upcoming facilities. Meanwhile, the mining team will do other work.
These are the two options I'm considering.

If every boulder disappeared right now, what would be opened to us?

2. The Lack Of Dwarfpower.

What is your solution?

- Prohibit foraging. This way our farmers will free up their schedule. Once they finish planting and harvesting, they will haul and build.
- Prohibit foraging AND farming. Assign all second-class citizens for grunt work.
- Separate builders from haulers. Assign dedicated haulers, whose job will be hauling only. That might slow down our construction, though.
- Prohibit smelting. We have enough metal bars, and no dwarfpower to haul metal ores or work the smelters. We need more builders.
We have enough booze and food stores for the moment, once foragers and farmers finish their gathering, planting and harvesting, they can haul, (additionally getting them out of the open sunlight so their mood isn't being crushed).

No need to separate builders from haulers just yet, at least until we can see how our hauling force stands.

No need for any more smelting as you plainly state.

Sukhāvatī

Your tavern doesn't work. Komrades hate it. Remember, you can reverse it to dining room (no fun allowed), or appoint a performer/tavern keeper/both any time you want.
Since we now have sufficient supplies and a supply chain...

If Sukhāvatī decides to open up the entertainer position, I will humbly (but not so humbly in-game ;) ) request to take up said position.
'k

Priority number one is to GIVE DA MAN HIS BONAZ!

As soon as he DESERVES one! :argh: Kalin was a COMPLETE FUCKING FAILURE so far!
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Kalin's innate warrior skills and dedication to the mastery of warfare and in investing time and energy to train our Komrades and defend us all from mortal harm, axiomatically makes him deserving of his needs.

Seeing one of our most skilled and simple-minded original companions in such despair and torment can do nought but bring out our fraternal love and compassion, both in personal, and political venues.

untitled2e3ko1.jpg

untitled11o6kf3111111l3klk.jpg

BONAZ shall be awarded.

Current agenda: Building Priorities

ALL KOMRADES HAVE A VOTE. Take your time, the LP is on pause until Monday (Jan, 27th).
Once our Glorious and Dedicated, Loyal, Faithful, and Patriotic Komrades, whomst'd've all Heaven and Earth trembles before their Might, have given their suggestions, The Meek, yet Omnispective and Omnibenevolent Management, shall decide which is the best course.
love.png

Seriously man, great update.

Tanks. This one was the hardest to write so far.
Agreed squeecoo, this update was highly impressive; professional-tier even. Serious congratulations!
love.png
10ngs4c.gif

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I will show you a screen that NONE OF US IS SUPPOSED to see, coz it's cheating, but there you go:

WP7ZztS.jpg
Why is Stukos so relaxed? She gets deathdrills and is even more relaxed than me. I am doing nothing but knitting socks all day FFS. I am so relaxed Azira tried to declare me dead at least seven times by now.
Dwarves are just weird.

Also:
vLqtdCv.png
Care for a round of Gwent?

Sorry.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If every boulder disappeared right now, what would be opened to us?

If all boulders magically disappeared right now, one thing is guaranteed: Grimwulf would suffer a VIOLENT mental break!

I don't want them to DISAPPEAR, I need them CUT INTO BLOCKS! :argh:

Here is the perfect scenario:

1. Your hauling team will move boulders from requested facilities to the Stone District.

98ZUuJX.jpg

Stones are heavy, but our Stone Storage has 5 wheelbarrows (maximum per storage) to move them in a timely fashion.

2. Other haulers will move boulders from the central storage to workshop stockpiles.

ziFCK0J.jpg

3. The masons will simply use the boulders from their own piles and cut them into stone blocks all day, every day.

This is dumbled down description of a bit more nuanced process, but basically that's it.

To compare, what happens right now:

1. The Masons haul boulders from god knows where, because everybody else is too busy constructing stuff.

2. ... the end

In other words, no haulers - no industries.

If you decide to dig out entire Redlabored, well, more boulders to haul. We don't really need all facilities dug out right now. On the other hand, our legendary miners might very well die tomorrow. So maybe it's worthwhile to dig as much as we can while they are still alive.

ALSO, we're lacking stone blocks severely. Barely enough to complete Food District and Kommunalka.

As of the final note, boulders take up storage space. We MUST clear the facilities from boulders before they can be fully functional. It's not only a matter of aesthetics, but functionality as well.

once foragers and farmers finish their gathering, planting and harvesting, they can haul

That's the current setting. But there is always seeds to plant, crops to harvest, and something to forage. Second-class citizens simply don't have time for construction or hauling.

NOT trying to make you reconsider or anything, just explaining technical details.

Anyway, your KEY CHOICES have been recorded. We'll see if Redlabored can survive them. Except this HERESY:

BONAZ shall be awarded.

EVERYTHING in Redlabored BELONGS TO YOUR KOMMISSAR! :argh: NO BONAZ for Kalin!

Besides, none of you have private rooms with chests/coffers/cabinets, etc - YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO STORE PRIVATE PROPERTY!

Why is Stukos so relaxed? She gets deathdrills and is even more relaxed than me. I am doing nothing but knitting socks all day FFS. I am so relaxed Azira tried to declare me dead at least seven times by now.

To be honest, serving in the military is a rather swell job. As long as your dwarven personality respects military training. Training in the barracks, getting good at various combat skills, sparring, teaching something, learning something - it's all good. And SOMETIMES squad member DO leave the barracks, making a quick tour to the tavern. Prolebashers are feeling pretty comfy compared to the rest of us.

HEPh79R.jpg

Brother Frank is ecstatic due to childbirth. It gives a MAJOR mood boost for a LONG time. Especially for mothers. When it comes to military service, everything changes once you go through a hard battle. PTSD is a bitch.

YOU, on the other hand, had nothing exciting to do after supplying the hospital. Which was a long time ago. Notice the needs section at the bottom:

B44jJEi.jpg

Also:
vLqtdCv.png

Wait, is this avatar from the Witcher? I didn't realize.

:prosper:

Gotta learn how to draw myself

Last edited:

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Farmers and foragers can halt for now since stocks are at an acceptable level and can switch to hauling.

Miners can continue mining, although Givi can choose to switch to a hauler if he so pleases.

Are there many orders left for me to carry out? Since my voluntary mining incurs somewhat severe time penalties in that, if I have any orders to fulfil I will switch to full managerial duty, and only when I'm free of such duties will I return to mining.

I Nothing helps, men. I give up. The only thing capable of preventing Kalin's Meltdown is bonaz. I'm dead sirius.

kh8tL9T.jpg

Most of the unsatisfied needs you see have been there for two years now. They constantly spam stressful thoughts in Kalin's deranged mind. What does he need exactly and why can't Redlabored provide? I'll tell you.

4. The need to be extravagant. In other words, to wear something SNAZZY.
Can't we whip up a fancy shirt for him to wear?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Are there many orders left for me to carry out? Since my voluntary mining incurs somewhat severe time penalties in that, if I have any orders to fulfil I will switch to full managerial duty, and only when I'm free of such duties will I return to mining.

It's not that simple. :M

The Kommissar is a complicated dwarf. Sometimes he goes to sleep and wakes up with a realization that Redlabored needs some BOOKCASES. Seriously, we don't have a single one in the entire fortress.

Orders come and go when Grimwulf remembers something CRUCIAL, both in-game and IRL. You current list is fully validated and being worked on:

Zi3avvb.jpg

But everything can change tomorrow. Sqeecoo requested 300 bins a few hours ago. That's a new order to be added to the list.

Can't we whip up a fancy shirt for him to wear?

According to ancient dwarven traditions, new clothing is distributed by "first comes - first served" principle. Especially greedy dwarves tend to be the first ones to call dibs on new stuff. Did you know Mediant is greedy?

vyMCAVP.jpg

Snatched dat amulet for himself, the bastard.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Cant believe we are wasting time voting on construction plans, instead of discussing HOW (and not when and if) to vanquish that mighty beast down below.
ccuaZQP.png
Me, personally, right now is too scared of a possibility of Kalin's Kulling to think about some ancient lizard of doom.
I would like to reiterate, how crucial it's to control an internal chaos first and foremost. How crucial it is to make a GODLY STONEGARDEN with an emergency Kalin's Kontrol Konstruction in case Prolebashers won't be able to contain... a suspect.
First, we build it. Then I brew a barrel of finest beer to lure a berserker with. Then we do this.

EVERYTHING in Redlabored BELONGS TO YOUR KOMMISSAR! :argh: NO BONAZ for Kalin!
It means that the dinosaur is yours as well. GIVE IT AS A BONAZ.

Also, we probably can make a barrel transportation system (aka Stonegarden) lead to the dinosaur. FIGHT RAGE WITH RAGE.
Come to think of it, we could sell tickets to a spectacle of headcrushing heartwarming meeting of a barrel pilot with a basement creep...
That's it, it's officially a new Megaproject I'm going for. Barrel transportation system "Stonegarden - The Deeps - Elsewhere", an amphitheatre for spectators over the dinosaur and Nut-kin cashing in ticket profits.
Choose the spectacle. Choose the safety. Choose the Stonegarden.

Edit. Typos and shit.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
sU7cUKl.png
Decisions, decisions...

General Storage. It should improve the efficiency of the logistics
Stone Garden. I want mighty statues of Unib & Baud here, so that all the dwarfs of Redlabored can gaze on those who were ready to lay and did laid their life for the fortress. You know, something like the Hermannsdenkmal or that Guan Yu statue in Jingzhou. Something humble and of good taste.
Military District. I'm in favor of making sure that the mad and armed dwarfs are happy.

That is not efficient!!!!!!:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Welcome to Kommunism.

Kalin wasted more time killing a human-sized troglodyte.
So basically in terms of strength - Baud<weregecko<Kalin<Forgotten Beast.

Would Kalin really won against the weregecko? Especially since it was before the fight with the troglodytes, where he got a big boost to his skills.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I feel bad, voting against Kalin probably didn't help his blood pressure :/ He needs to start practising dwarf yoga or something, anything as long as it isn't a bonaz.
Am enjoying Sukhavati's gradual transformation into a remorseless petty bureaucrat, judgiing by the stress she seems to be taking to it quite well too.
Squeeco is becoming quite the artist, who knew you could do so much with deer bones?

Anyways, for voting:
-Metal district. Would be nice to be armored in more then just my faith in kommunism.
-Stone Garden. Clearly we need a morale booster but I doubt we can handle any megaproject atm so stone garden it is.
-Zoo. I want somewhere to display my pet rocks. Others can put animals in I guess, weirdos.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Would Kalin really won against the weregecko? Especially since it was before the fight with the troglodytes, where he got a big boost to his skills.

Back then? Most likely not. Today, fighting on his own against the werebeast? I'd say yes, but not before suffering a bite or two. But if he fought against some legendary werebeast with mad skills, not necessarily a wergecko, who knows?

Am enjoying Sukhavati's gradual transformation into a remorseless petty bureaucrat, judging by the stress she seems to be taking to it quite well too.

I wouldn't call it "quite well". Look, this number representing stress is extremely arbitrary. All it does is sums up all negative emotions and all positive emotions that a dwarf is experiencing at the current moment. If a mother gives birth to twins, but one of them gets instantly BASHED to death by Kalin, the number will be zero. When, in fact, that mother would go insane the next day, once the thoughts and memories set up properly.

Kalin is a perfect example here. All it took is enough memories and frustration factors to pile up, and now his stress is snowballing towards insanity.

Dwarves have 160 emotions (acceptance, boredom, dismay, fondness, isolation, regret, etc). Measuring stress is not as simple as summing them up. Some of those "neutral stress" dwarves might be already following Kalin's path. Best way to judge your mental condition is by looking at char screens.

As for Sukhavati, her only salvation is hard work. It's one of the very few things keeping her stable.

hEwc4Em.jpg

Now that she decided to put down her pickaxe, who knows if she can hold it together?

Stone Garden only consists of 21 tiles that need working, aye? It should be completed in basically no time at all Grimwulf ?

21 tiles? Where did that come from? Okay, this here is Stone Garden from mah original design:

Ignore the question mark, it's an old screen.

DixPScu.jpg

That's definitely more than 21 tiles. I want Stone Garden to have high ceiling, engravings on those ceilings (just like in Grand Hall), and also waterfalls. We don't have a water system yet, so if komrades vote for Stone Garden - it will be high time to build one.

Come to think of it, I should have tagged it as a Megaproject too. Oh, well. Too late now.

Last edited:

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
What's the point of Stone Garden? We don't need Mausoleum yet.
Carp fishing zone.

That's definitely more than 21 tiles. I want Stone Garden to have high ceiling, engravings on those ceilings (just like in Grand Hall), and also waterfalls. We don't have a water system yet, so if komrades vote for Stone Garden - it will be high time to build one.
We can begin with something more humble at first. The Fountain of Bakhchisaray style.
C3vw_BNWMAERd6o.jpg

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Grimwulf can you please post my character? Both her superior skills and her bright and stable mind?

Your dream was giving birth. It was realized. But you're not happy for some reason.

vALmU65.jpg

Not as happy as Brother Frank or any other mother of Redlabored.

As for the "skills", you have many, but you're equally shitty at all of them.

EIcfehQ.jpg

Your dwarf is a goddamn disaster. But as long as you keep cutting those blocks, Redlabored accepts you.

Carp fishing zone.

I see what you did there. Also, we'll use grates to prevent anything getting into the fortress via waterways. No carps in Redlabored. The dwarves never forget.

Andnjord

Arcane
My vote:

I. General Storage (three points): an efficient fortress is a happy fortress
II. METAL District (two points): Time to let loose the METAL riffs, the banging drums, the operatic vocals! Wait, it's not THAT kind of Metal? Well fine, we'll do it anyway.
III. Grand Hall (one point): Our cooks are producing one masterful deer roast after another and we only have that pigsty to eat it in? Shameful!

But also:

Also, constructing a fortress improves its overall value.

The Cpt of your guard is getting close to murdering half of the fortress, our industries are dying due to lack of haulers, half of the population is condemned to work above ground like some bourgeois elf-lovers, there are about 10 beds lying in muddy refuse to lodge 87 dorfs, our military would be unable to handle a drunk crundle stumbling into the fortress while we are above 80 pop and thus a target to goblin invasions, it's the start of the third year and we have no eating hall to speak of....10 minutes of rambling later....and you're worrying about the VALUE of the Fortress?!?!? What are you, a goddamn Capitalist?!?

Please don't stop, loving it all :love:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
1. General Storage (3 pts): in KKKommunism everyone and everything has its proper place.
2. Metal District (2 pts): Booze and industry are the 2 pillars of our happiness.
3. Military District (1pt): Kalin is a bomb ready to blow. Can't have him blow up in the KKKommissar's bedroom. Being able to point him at someone else to vent his stress will make him a happy and productive member of our little utopia.

You might notice a lack of "hospital" in my votes. In KKKommunism it's not about my needs, but everyone's needs. :obviously: Else we would have an ice cream district by now. Sad.

Bliblablubb said:
Also:
vLqtdCv.png
Wait, is this avatar from the Witcher? I didn't realize.

:prosper:

Gotta learn how to draw myself

Heh no. But that face, expression and hairdo reminded me sooo of Geralt's mug staring at me during Gwent all the time. You could always give him two axes and some puss peepers yellow eyes tho.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom