Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your dream RPG

Quillon

Arcane
Realistic but not hardcore military or military-like RPG. Post WW2>Modern or alternative history around this period like Man in the High Castle. Optional fpp/tpp exploration with RTwP party based top-down combat which emphasizes covers in the environment. It can be usual RTwP where you control every character in the party or preferably you control only one character who gives commands to his teams/team-mates while he/she also fights; the latter requiring very good AI. Could either be Xcom style where you have a base and doing missions around the world or like MGSV, again where you have a base and doing missions in big open maps. In the latter case the map should be big like ARMA3's altis map or GR Wildlands' Bolivia. Also private military shit in MGSV could be good for this imaginary game. Emergent gameplay systems like calling support, med-evac etc. Optional stealth approach to missions. Base/vehicle/gear upgrades, many factions, reputation, awesome characters etc all dat RPG goodness.

Actually it could also take place in a futuristic/post apo/cyber/space whatever setting without fucking MAGIC. I just want an RTwP combat system that is not seemingly consists of bunch of guys/gals/monsters running to hack each other just as combat starts(tho which is to me actually better than TB); to that end there have to be GUNS! Greater emphasis on level design for fights which could be fought in bigger areas, more tactics/positioning before initiating combat(if the initiative is yours), planning an ambush hours before etc.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Either arcanum 2 being released or an actual fallout 3(the mod those czechs made a few years ago was very good though).

Master

Arbiter
Man, i just took a nap and dreamed i was in Gothic swordfigting a moose(lol). I killed him, and got 300xp. Then i woke up.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
For years, I have dreamed of something like Risen: Tropic island, better story, one big city and lots of and lots of ruins, that slowly unfold the big secret. The game would be like a treasure hunt, with a lot of varriety how to solve a problem and puzzles. Basically what PB promised, but with more money pumped into it and more of everything.

Swigen

Arbiter
Haven’t checked but I’m sure it’s been mentioned, so I’ll just second the dude that said Witcher 4.

Farewell into the night

BG1 but different story & setting. No 3D models for characters, but high resolution sprites. Two combat styles to choose from: rtwp, turn based. Oldschool, dark fantasy vibe, not some shiny rainbow artstyle. Not text heavy, no unnecessary graphomania. Minimum 60h long. Optional ultra hardcore and iron modes. Player campaign/scenario maker.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
A Piranha Bytes game set in 1971 Berlin. You begin as a blank slate German teen and can pick factions like East Germany Secret Service, West Germany Secret Service, Baader–Meinhof-style militant group, etc. In the first chapters of the game, the common enemy of all factions are the neo-nazis, but later the big reveal is that Hitler is still alive and is the reptilian leader of the NWO secret government that controls both sides of the Cold War.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Imagine the following:

• You have unlimited financial resources
  • Your team is as big as it needs to be for your project and everyone is on board with all your ideas
  • Your team is talented and will be able to work out everything based on your suggestions (and based on what's technologically possible)
  • There are no people you have to consider - no shareholders, no specific audience, no bosses upstairs
In short: There are no constraints. You can do whatever you want.

Lastly: Since your game will be basically perfect, we can assume that there you could very well create a RTwP-game that's not a clusterfuck. There is no inherently superior system and maybe there could be styles of games that didn't work up until now. Even real time combat could be awesome in the end.

What kind of RPG would you create under these circumstances? What is your dream cRPG? Maybe you already have a concrete idea that you've thought about in the past?

Some input, describe some of the following things: Gameplay loop(s), combat system, non-combat systems, story, style (Isometric, 3rd-Person? First person? Blobber?), art design (realistic, Western, JRPG and so on), people whom you would hire (MCA for story, John Howe for concept art and so on), influences of other games (maybe even a spiritual successor?), game modes (single/multiplayer?), inventory systems, loot, storytelling (environmental, through books, dialogue, cutscenes)

Interested to hear your fantasies. No, not those fantasies, goddamnit.

Shadowrun, but a Western. Divinity: Original Sin II level production values (not necessarily art design) and at least as well written as Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

After that, Seven Dragon Saga. Same principle.

After that, Ravenloft. Same principle.

I don't mind RtwP, but I want these to be turn-based.

Silly Germans

A mixture of Baldurs Gate, Stronghold and Spellforce. Imagine something similar to Spellforce 3 but with
Baldurs Gate1/2 grade adventure missions, rpgs mechanics, and Stronghold like base building.
You then have at one hand to manage your castle and on the other hand set out with small groups to adventures.
As setting i'd like something medival with some fantasy, perhaps similar to the Witcher setting. But no fucking
you-are-the-chosen-one/save-the-world plots. Only monster slaying and political wars between countries, intrigues
between kingdoms.

Shitposter
I think Arcanum is about as close to a perfect RPG as humanly possible.

What would be a cool 2nd place?

I like the idea of low/no fantasy political squabbling being the basis of the story. I like killing being a sparse, assassination type event like you see in Italian gangster movies. Like those movies, killing the main 5-10 tough guys of a faction effectively neuters them. There isn't just an endless amount of henchmen. The factions are small and everyone has a name. Being known as a killer or someone who has killed affects how people treat you. I would like the story to take place all in one or two cities that are strongly fleshed out.

I envision a city with an official but weak leadership which is actually run by gangs and possibly the story takes place as these gangs are about to go to war, revealing to the population just how flimsy their government is. The setting would be 1800s or so.

All of the RPG mechanics would just be Arcanum with changed names, including chargen and such.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
A high budget new Wizardry game.

Don't care if it's like Wizardry 8 or like the Forsaken Lands-series, because both of these games were fantastic.

Not like this fucking garbage we got now with Labyrinth of Lost Souls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom