Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Black

Arcane
The usual, the OGs left after Factions if I'm not mistaken and with GW2 someone high up probably said "make it more like WoW, that's more popular".

biggestboss

Liturgist
I don't know the reason on why they made GW2 different from GW1, but I do know that they went from the most open and diverse character building system with almost endless possibilities (GW1) to literally MOBA characters in GW2.

They had literally one fucking job: make GW2 the same as GW1 with a jump button. They fucked it up.

Codex Year of the Donut
also, GW2 development is lead by some woman that hates gamers who has zero experience with MMOs whatsoever and her only prior experience was some shit indie game
guess they wanted to finally kill it off

ultra loser

Scholar
what's the reason they changed it so much?
5kRaiIh.png

Black

Arcane
I'm still amazed how well GW1 looks. Many locations in each campaign destroy modern games on aesthetic value. Pre-searing, Charr homelands, Jade Sea, Shing Jea, pure poetry. It was/is a technical marvel in many ways, even the UI is state of the art.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I'm still amazed how well GW1 looks. Many locations in each campaign destroy modern games on aesthetic value. Pre-searing, Charr homelands, Jade Sea, Shing Jea, pure poetry. It was/is a technical marvel in many ways, even the UI is state of the art.
Tbf GW2 art is amazing as well, the art director ( who also left the team after) , did an amazing job.
Sadly that is the only praise i can do to the game. Mechanically is inferior in every way to gw1

Sykar

Arcane

I did not like the extreme restriction to 8 active skills. Hate it in Hack&Slash games already and loathe it in MMOs.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

I did not like the extreme restriction to 8 active skills. Hate it in Hack&Slash games already and loathe it in MMOs.
8 skills in gw1 skill system are a lot for at least these 4 reasons that come to my mind:

1- skills are unique ( for the most part) and meaningful. In other games you have 30 skills that all do the same thing, just with a different animations. These are meant to be rotation fodder and raise the number of clicks in artificial way to give the illusion of complexity. In gw1 each skill is fundamental to your build and to fight encounters

2- skills interact with each other. Fewer skills are enough to give deep and dynamic gameplay

3- there are hundreads to skills for each profession. A huge amount of vatiety to choose from before exiting outposts

4- it's a team game. In late game you are controlling 5 herors.
While you will not activate heroes skill ( but you can micro-manage too if you like) , those are to consider part of your build too, so multiply 8 x the numbers of people in your party ( if you use heroes)

Gw1 has the biggest and deepest skill system i have seen in a rpg.
They dropped it because it took a huge amount of resources to create and to manage ( especially balance) it.
But it is incredibly good

biggestboss

Liturgist
It was a great design decision for GW1 to restrict the number of skills. It allowed the PvP (the primary reason to play the game) to have an intensely competitive meta by borrowing mechanics from stuff like Magic: the Gathering and deckbuilders. It forced you to specialize builds for teams similar to having a deck in Magic. You could have balanced teams, gimmick teams (IWAY), and "broken" teams that crumble under counterplay/pressure (ranger spike/necrospike). None of this would be possible if every character had access to all of their skills at the same time.

The above really was just meta for Hall of Heroes. There is even more possible meta consideration for GvG because of the skill limit restriction. You could do an 8-man ball and prioritize capping the flag to maximize morale and resurrection signet advantage, or build a split team - one to be defensive inherently and keep the opposing guild from steamrolling through the main lane through the flag to your guild lord, and another Vietcong-style guerilla squad meant to go to other places on the map - this squad would specialize in entirely different 8-skill slots dedicated to being evasive and controlling enemy movement speed. Instead of capping the flag, they would do stuff like backdoor the opposing guild hall and repairing the trebuchets. If all characters could just have every skill active at the same time, there would be no reason to plan for these roles and there would be no real counterbuilding and counterplay, just reacting to whatever the opponent does with your multitool skill bar.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
GW (not GW1 because there's no GW2) skill system is its biggest pro, having many possible options, many more by adding a secondary profession and limiting it to 8, including only 1 elite skill forced players to get their noggins jogging instead of slapping everything onto their skillbar and just rolling their face on the keyboard. You had different builds for different areas of pve, different formats of pvp, different party sizes. Speaking of party sizes, for most of the game you're not building a deck of 8 skills, you're building a deck of 64 skills spreads between 8 characters.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why can't we [...] just play the best MMO of all time like it was new again?
You can. GW works mighty fine as a single player experience, unless you're in for PvP specifically (and even then there are probably enough people playin’ to satisfy you).

Black

Arcane
WE'RE BACK BOYS, WOOOO

Apparently people still play it on the Burger side during Euro evenings.
9WA22il.jpg

ntmebdP.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Funny, I tried that yesterday after a long slumber too almost exactly at that hour. I always disliked Aspenwood though, so I disregarded it even though it seemed to have lots of players :/

Unfortunately JQ, which was one of my favs, seems dead as a rock. So it seemed for AB. Went to RA instead and got rolled 6 times in a row by the same enemy team, while more or less getting the same friendly team with every try, lol.

i perfectly know i want it, but i don't want everything from the beginning. i want my characters back, i want my equipment back, i want my progress back. i want to play and be sure one day some gook bot is *not* going to take it all away from me again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom