Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #41: begun the closed beta has

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably should have said this earlier, but I think the uniform yellow-beige color of the crates in the arena is bland af. If that's a place of entertainment shouldn't it be a bit more vivid?
It is in times like these we realize that our newsbot actually has a heart.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I found SMG's to be pretty OP tbh. I mowed down everything wtih a pure build. And you get to attack twice with 5 bullet mode for 10 ap total.

Shotguns seems a tad underpowered to me, but maybe I need to test em more.

Rifles are also beastly

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I found SMG's to be pretty OP tbh.
I've tried a hammer guy but the fight with Big Jim is just too much, there are too many of them. Not sure if I'll be able to finish my run with such build. MRY , how are you faring with your knife build?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
PSI-Ops? There are no PSI-Ops here AFAIK. There are some interesting gadgets here and mutants but that's it.

vota DC

Augur
Can you Stick as melee late game. Also if you choose mixed since this time Is more Morrowind style (more you use a skill more It will improve) rather than aod style (you can use daggers only but for no reason hoard your points for weapons you will never use) will you get good melee early game but later only ranged because better better ranged weapons and skills make you avoid melee?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Yzv8bTC.png
AoD screen had a much better feel/look, not sure why. Maybe it's the large font, everything looks "crammed in". Does the in-game char sheet look different?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
AoD screen had a much better feel/look, not sure why. Maybe it's the large font, everything looks "crammed in". Does the in-game char sheet look different?
See the fourth screen in the first post.

PSI-Ops? There are no PSI-Ops here AFAIK. There are some interesting gadgets here and mutants but that's it.
Then what does biotech do right now?
Biotech handles all things medical, including extracting implants without damaging them.

Shadenuat

Arcane
AoD screen had a much better feel/look, not sure why
Because it's basically a boring spreadsheet in 1 color. in AoD stats at least had frames around them, +- to skills were actual buttons, etc. u need frames, buttons, symbols, and more colors than 1 to improve readability.

just adding plain old black at places would be a dramatic change.

7UG0QC8.jpg

you can move things around, but monotone color choice would still mean eye has nothing to catch on.

hell bovine

Arcane
That font is definitely not doing the gui any favors. When you put all letters in CAPSLOCK and you use a monochrome palette and you minimalize letter-spacing it will look bland, not futuristic.

(And it won't be any easier to read, because the eyes track the text not continuously, but 'in jumps', so we actually do need all the word breaks, spaces, asymmetry of letters etc. to help with reading.)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm running a dude with SMG and a bat in reserve. Seems decent so far. Beat the 3 first fights. Declined the option to add a party member, due to Lone Wolf feat. Everything about the game feels alright, so far. Only minor bug was when my character got stuck in the environment, but a quickload solved that.

I lost in the first fight, but it had more to do with not knowing what to expect than anything else, and not having loaded my weapon (lol).
Enemies can move quite far, so you have to be careful. Let's see how long this guy lasts. Can't compare him to anything until I try a few more builds.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I found SMG's to be pretty OP tbh.
I've tried a hammer guy but the fight with Big Jim is just too much, there are too many of them. Not sure if I'll be able to finish my run with such build. MRY , how are you faring with your knife build?
Haven’t had a chance to play more. Was testing a new FG build instead last night.
I've changed my tactics with Big Jim and it paid off, now I'm fighting the church, definitely the hardest fight so far, I had only one opponent left but made the wrong choice. I already love this game :D. Anyway, if you want real challenge go full melee.

Fake edit:
I've beaten them with a hammer and the book Halston (my sidekick). It's been a while since I've had this much fun and satisfaction while playing a computer game. Seriously, this game is gold, Iron Tower should sell it.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Melee seems quite undertuned vs ranged here, haven't been able to make it work in the harder fights later on cause theres too many enemies and no real cover or advantages.

Rifles are okay, but hard later on also, SMGs are still king, and a shotty/cleaver in backup.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Melee seems quite undertuned vs ranged here, haven't been able to make it work in the harder fights later on cause theres too many enemies and no real cover or advantages.

Rifles are okay, but hard later on also, SMGs are still king, and a shotty/cleaver in backup.
Melee is either a backup (the full game won't be as generous with ammo) or requires a proper playing style: gadgets, smoke grenades to make the shooters harder to see you coming, etc. I'd say that rifle is king at the moment, at least for me (with the right feats). Naturally, we'll pay attention to all feedback and tweak the balance accordingly.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Melee is intended to be a bit harder than ranged by design (and logic). You have to be more creative (use smoke grenades which affect ranged more than melee) and build your character extremely around it. There are implants that will help quite a bit to breach the gap, and we didn't have time to implement a feat that can help (Evasion +10, ballistic DR +1, reaction +10 when not in cover).

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
a bit harder
I would say it's a lot, lot harder not a bit (which indeed is logical). Out of curiosity, have any of you finished this version of combat demo going melee? I've finished it but going the easy way
(so after defeating Carter I took the free pass) but beating mutants and then two next fights will be much harder.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I mean I'm allright with melee not being able to support itself fully. You don't really bring a knife to a gunfight in real life either, right? Yeah using gadgets and shit maybe, but.. eh.

In AoD you had builds that absolutely worked, and builds that works so-so, but had to rely on support from other stuff. So nothing new here.

I've played some more, and rifles are defeinitely good. The aimed shots and disadvantages are pretty great and the range of course. Why is the tommygun a rifle? shouldn't that be more like an SMG? It doesnt have aimed fire either, like the betty or the starter rifle

Vault Dweller

Developer
Why is the tommygun a rifle? shouldn't that be more like an SMG? It doesnt have aimed fire either, like the betty or the starter rifle
The original (purely theoretical) thinking was that every weapon class should have enough variety, so rifle includes assault rifles, for simplicity's sake identified as having a stock and longer barrel. This is only the first round of testing so I assume that many things will change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom