Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

razvedchiki

Erudite
maybe with the rumored greenskin rework this will change at last and waaghs are not lauging materials any more.

KK1001

Arbiter
The main problems with the game I see atm are:

Battles:
1) Ranged archer and crossbow fire is still way, way too strong, and it's not so much the damage but the accuracy when shooting in a super high arc. Less of a problem in multiplayer battles than versus the AI, though it is still an issue.

Campaign:
1) Dwarves are OP as fuck in auto resolve, so they stomp all over the greenskins.
2) Greenskins, Beastmen, and Chaos are all not very fun to play, are weak in campaign, and nearly always die, leading to ordertide.

kris

Arcane
Battles:
1) Ranged archer and crossbow fire is still way, way too strong, and it's not so much the damage but the accuracy when shooting in a super high arc. Less of a problem in multiplayer battles than versus the AI, though it is still an issue.

All ranged is to strong against AI, but not against humans. You can utterly demolish them with artillery too.

Kind of curious: Is ranged and magic AoE spam much weaker at small unit scales where there's less stuff to hit?

This would also seemingly make cavalry much stronger since it has to cover less ground to get behind enemies and has less enemies to get stuck inside when you cycle charge.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
On the other hand if you hit a blob of units with an AoE spell on small scale you're nuking a larger percentage of the enemy army with the same spell. Also monsters should be stronger on small scale since they can disrupt a proportionally larger part of an enemy unit.

KK1001

Arbiter
All ranged is to strong against AI, but not against humans. You can utterly demolish them with artillery too.

Range cheese is pretty much the only way to win on very hard or legendary battle difficulty, because they thought it'd be a good idea to make spearmen beat elite units

That's not quite true for all races. Its definitely the universal strategy though. Like, you're literally better off flanking with riflemen than cavalry, you'll get more kills faster and take less damage as long as nothing gets them in melee (which the AI is very poor at prioritizing).

Olinser

Savant

Range cheese is pretty much the only way to win on very hard or legendary battle difficulty, because they thought it'd be a good idea to make spearmen beat elite units

There's frankly no reason to ever play on legendary battle difficulty. All of the difficulty based achievements can be gotten with the campaign on the setting, and the battle set to Normal.

The AI doesn't play smarter in battle on higher difficulties it just gets stat bonuses that you can't even see so it makes it hard to actually evaluate units. It's super lazy by the devs.

Unless you enjoy cheesing and exploiting the AI its pointless to play on higher battle settings.

Olinser

Savant
There's frankly no reason to ever play on legendary battle difficulty.
Legendary restricts you from save scumming and this elevates the game to entirely new level of gameplay.

That's legendary campaign, not legendary battle. The AI actually takes a significant upgrade in campaign legendary, builds better more balanced armies, and is significantly more aggressive. Legendary battle difficulty it takes exactly the same actions it just has significant hidden stat bonuses.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's legendary campaign, not legendary battle. The AI actually takes a significant upgrade in campaign legendary, builds better more balanced armies, and is significantly more aggressive. Legendary battle difficulty it takes exactly the same actions it just has significant hidden stat bonuses.
As far as I remember there’s no such thing as legendary battle. Very hard is the highest difficulty for battles.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chaos felt like a giant game of Whack a mole before Mortal Empire (raze settelements are they get rebuild...). How is it with all the added factions?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
New Patch incoming: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-kings-shilling-update/

TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II – THE KING’S SHILLING UPDATE
TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II
Al Bickham
February 5 2020
This smaller interim beta patch addresses some high-priority issues.

In particular, four hot-topic issues have been addressed:

• Vampire Coast factions are able to raise dead at sea again
  • Fixed an issue which limited the number of mods a player could have
  • Fixed a bug which prevented AI factions from recruiting more than one army
  • Fixed an issue where active ability phase-stat effects were included in the unit stat calculation when gaining an experience level in battle, resulting in units having their new base stats set at incorrect values – this had a notable impact in multiplayer
We’re aware of further issues which have been reported by players, such as the Doomsphere agent-spawning bug, and we’re continuing to find fixes and improvements for inclusion in future patches.

To get the update, please follow these instructions:

• In your Steam games library, right-click Total War: WARHAMMER II and select Properties
  • In the Properties window, select the Betas tab
  • Select 8.3 from the drop-down menu
  • Hit close and your game client will update
Please note that you should start a new campaign when opting in to the beta. This beta contains an end-turn crash that occurs on save games created before this update, and while we are investigating this and will update the beta with a fix, we would rather have the opt-in beta available to players with this caveat than delay the release to include the fix.

LEGENDARY LORD CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS
  • Malus Darkblade’s Warpsword questline can now be continued if the Beastmen army dies. The Beastmen army has also been moved in Mortal Empires from the desert of Khemri up into The Badlands
  • The army removed in the starting dilemma presented to Malus now only occurs for the force in Hag Graef
  • Malus Darkblade sanity effect changes:
    • Increased maximum Ward Save to 40%
    • Replaced construction cost reduction with growth increase
    • Added positive side of melee attack effects
  • Arkhan the Black’s cape now adheres to the laws of physics when viewed from afar
  • Khazrak’s missing eyeball returned in the previous patch – it’s now gone again. EYE PATCHED
  • Ikit Claw’s ability Unlimited Power now has a correctly sized icon
  • Thorgrim’s Grudge against the Greenskins is now “Grudge against the Foul” and also applies against Skaven
  • Volkmar the Grim’s War Altar mount now properly shows that it will grant you a bound Banishment spell
  • Morathi’s Amber Amulet unique item can no longer be stolen
  • Skrolk’s Plague changes:
    • Plague-spreading chances have been increased and the benefits have been reduced to compensate
    • Regional army-to-settlement spread probability has been increased to 25%
    • The plague can now spread to adjacent regions
    • The plague now lasts for 2 more turns
    • Skrolk’s plague-spreading chance has been increased to +100% making all his armies and regions have twice the chance of spreading (50%/50%)
  • Dark Elf Masters will now benefit from Morathi’s hero upkeep reduction
  • Fixed instances where Repanse could respond with a male voice during diplomacy interactions
  • Repanse’s water mechanics will now work in multiplayer campaigns
  • Repanse’s banner missions will now trigger in multiplayer campaigns
  • Repanse’s unique technologies Righteous Strength and Prayer of Fortitude now correctly apply their bonuses to characters
  • Moved quest battles location markers for Skarsnik and Belegar slightly to avoid clipping with unpassable terrain
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Vampire Coast factions are able to raise dead at sea again
  • Fixed an issue which limited the number of mods a player could have
  • Fixed a bug which prevented AI factions from recruiting more than one army
  • Fixed an issue where active ability phase-stat effects were included in the unit stat calculation when gaining an experience level in battle, resulting in units having their new base stats set at incorrect values – this had a notable impact in multiplayer
  • Additional upkeep mechanic now correctly updates when the player has multiple armies and then goes down to one army
  • Fixed an issue where wounded lords and heroes would spawn on top of each other after using a Clan Eshin Rite
  • Fixed several instances of bonuses to Lord recruit ranks not applying when replacing lords
  • Adjusted Bretonnian outposts in Norsca – their main settlement chains are now updated to match current Bretonnian Garrisons
  • Adjusted numerous instances of buildings having incorrect values when in a damaged or ruined state
  • The Constellation of Queti mission no longer requires 4294967295 rogue armies to be defeated
  • Fixed missing mentions of Shadow Walkers unit in some high elf technologies
  • The Bretonnian technology Support Religious Errantry now also grants a diplomatic bonus with Chevaliers De Lyonesse
  • Fixed an issue which sometimes caused AI enemy heroes to spawn when the player withdrew from the Hammer of Angrund quest battle
  • Post-battle option tooltips are now accurate and no longer mention diplomatic relationships
  • Black Arks are now immune to reef and storm attrition
  • Skaven can now build the Brightstone Mine at Mount Gunbad
  • Adjusted top-end garrison for the High Elf variant of the Empire forts to be appropriately more powerful
  • The Beastmaster’s Master Tormentor skill now properly buffs the melee defence of his monsters
  • Cairn Wraiths once again cause fear – they were just a bit under the weather
  • The faction select screen for Malus Darkblade now includes the ‘+10% chance of intercepting enemies using the Underway’ effect of his Lord trait
  • Saurus Old-Bloods and Red Crested Skink Chiefs can now swap mounts when part of Nakai’s faction
  • Fixed some inconsistencies in the unlock ranks for Vampire Counts mounts
  • The Count of Talabecland bonus for increased income from timber buildings now functions correctly
  • All DLC Dwarf lords now benefit from Dwarf technologies that target characters
  • The AI may now decide to use Flaming Sword of Rhuin on ranged units
  • Non-Cult of Sotek Lizardmen factions no longer acquire sacrificial captives after each battle
  • Fixed an issue preventing Nakai from handing over the following regions: Fortress of the Damned, Dragon Fang Mount, Dread Rock, Shattered Stone Isle, Flayed Rock, Haunted Forest, Pigbarter, Desolation of Nagash, Nagashizar, Ash Ridge Mountains, Darkhold, The Fortress of Vorag, Crookback Mountain, Mount Greyhag, Mount Silverspear
  • Adjusted tooltip for Eshin recruit cost feature to correctly state that units not native to Eshin do, in fact, have extra recruitment costs
  • Added missing strategic location icon to Copher and the Dragon Isles
  • Itza now properly allows Skink recruitment through the primary chain for all Lizardmen factions
  • Red Crested Skink Chiefs no longer lose their attrition immunities when mounted
  • Characters no longer lose access to the Flensing Ruin spell when investing more skill points into the skill
  • Tomb Kings Lords that are recruited as a replacement for a lord that has died will no longer cost gold
  • Various localisation improvements in multiple languages

Malus Darkblade sanity effect changes:
  • Increased maximum Ward Save to 40%
  • Replaced construction cost reduction with growth increase
  • Added positive side of melee attack effects

CA giveth and taketh away.

Last edited:
Losing that construction cost bonus is a major, major nerf. The growth works out to an average of +30 per turn if you potion every 5 turns which is pretty awful, Dark Elves have enough growth to handle and the limitation is cash.

The global +melee attack is good. Problem before was that all of the possession bonuses only affecte Malus's army but this works on everything. +4 is still pretty dang weak though, and +10 only works if the stars align and you can start a big battle while at 10 or once every 40 turns when you can press the full possession button.

40% Ward on malus is pretty insane though. That's 50% with his one skill, should be totally trivial to get it to 95% after equipment. I'd kind of rather the ward save be nerfed in exchange for being able to summon tz'arkan between 0 and 10 posesssion rather than just at 10.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I do not know why CA is so hesitant to grant Tzarkan earlier. Alternatively, reduce the cool down on full possession.

Its really weird, normally the balance seems to be "units are balanced for MP, then in SP they get new badass shit that is OP and fun", but Malus instead receives huge nerfs unless he fulfills very specific and fairly rare conditions. A few other lords are like this but never as bad

_V_

Scholar
So I'm playing Beastmen with SFO/Grimhammer 2. I'd like to recruit a mutated warhound but can't figure out what is required to unlock this "legendary unit"...
Any tipps?

Edit: If anyone is interested. It's unlocked via devotion.

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Bah! Screw you and your buggy code CA. I just won the toughest chain of battles I ever fought as vampire counts vs the dwarves, slaughtered untold thousands of them and lost over a thousand of my own. As the final loading screen progresses I eagerly anticipate to see what dead I can raise, planning to reward the lord by letting him ditch all his skeletons and raise whatever he wants. Maybe some blood knights? Or a shiny new terrorgheist or a mortis engine? Nope! No famous battle marker. Nada. Also he personally killed Grombrindal and Thorgrim and didn't get their traits. Bloody hell.

What happened was that I had my Strigoi lord with his army of primarily crypt horrors operating in former Border Princes territory by the coast south of the hot gates. I've been fighting the dwarves now for a long long time at this point. Between dealing with Reikland and Bretonia to the north-west, finishing off the independent dwarves to the west and south and endless dwarven armies pushing into Sylvania I finally managed to detach an army (probably my strongest) to go through the former empire fort and start wrecking havoc down there. Now I knew the dwarves were messing around Barak Var since I saw two stacks run at me from there a turn before. I saw one of theirs stacks standing seemingly out of reinforcements range and though to take my chances. Turned out I underestimated their strength and they actually had 4 stacks there plus some change. I force marched away from there to what I thought would be a safe distance behind a village I controlled. I was wrong.

The turn timer rolls around and two stacks roll out and attack the village with me in reinforcements range. Escape is not an option so I turn and fight. Key point: control large battle - off. I suicide the worthless garrison to get my full army out. I face off with the first stack and knock it out easily with a couple of winds of death, vargheist rear charges and killing the lord. Second stack trickles in and we defeat it in detail. Overall and including the dead rising after combat I lost about a third of my numbers but mostly in the skeleton chaff, the important crypt horrors taking only light damage. Then two more stacks roll out. oh_shit.jpg. These are however weaker thankfully so I still have hope. The first two had a fair number of hammerers and ironbreakers while now the first stack is mostly longbeards and rangers while the second one is almost all miners (??). Again the first engagement is won with the usual tactics of winds of death and flyers engaging the ranged. By the second wave I was down to just a clump of horrors and a few remaining skeletons. We made our stand in a ball around the necromancer with my Strigoi lord dive bombing on his terrorgheist and hoped for the best. And the best had come as the poor miners quickly broke before the terror of the dead and fled the field.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom