Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Silly Germans

Kotor I/II had great melee combat animations. It looked as if they were fighting instead of simply making a swing every 6 seconds.
I think no other Rtwp game comes close to them unless i missed something.
Id really like a revival of proper animations in Rtwp, they add a lot to the feeling of combat.
have you played nwn?
Yes, i remember NWN 2 having decent animations but not up to par with Kotor. I guess the larger amount of
weapon types and possible pairings would have meant to much work.
He's probably referring to the first NWN. Combat rounds were obscured behind interlocking animations, giving the real-time turns a certain visual fluidity as combatants blocked, deflected, or ducked their way to victory. They would also move, either stepping forwards, backwards, or to their side. Problem was this got a bit excessive in the early game. They'd end up fannying about playing ring a ring o' roses with up to two movements per one attack.

Not to be discouraged, Bioware made some tweaks for Kotor. They dropped the ballroom dancing and heavily focused on striking animations where two melee weapons often made contact, which was the right call for a lightsaber spectacle. Dragon Age: Origins had parries and blocks to a lesser degree, but by Dragon Age 2 the combat was so fast that the whole concept got scrapped. A staple (kind of?) of their games for nearly a decade, dropped, just like that. I still wonder what Bioware's interlocking animations would look like today if their development had continued. Maybe bring back the dancing and pair it with a spacial awareness mechanic, producing animations that utilized the enviroment. Or go the Total War route and hire stuntmen to choreograph some really gratuitous but fun clashes.

I have barely any memory left of NWN1 except that it was ugly and that the main campaign was crap. The only good impressions that it left are from the addon which took place in the Underdark.
But regarding animations, i hope that they can do better than NWN1 by now. After all, It was the first game made after switching from the Infinity engine to Aurora and it showed.

laclongquan

Arcane
RtWP and RT aren't that different.

In fact, if you play NWN on multiplayer, you can't "pause". In other hands, some mount & blade mods allow you to pause to command your "divisions". The difference between real time and real time with pause is very small.

RTwP games are designed around the suposed tactical pauses, wich in most cases don't bring any tactics and decrease difficulty greatly. The first RTwP game challenging and with actual tactics I ever played is Kenshi -thanks that developer was more a fan of Xcom than Baldur's Gate-..

Up yours, bitch! The greatest RTwP tactic games would be UFO Aftershock and UFO Afterlight. They have art problems, but the tactical aspect work fine.

Icewind Dale 2 is another contender to that throne, especially at insane and HoF difficulty.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Up yours, bitch! The greatest RTwP tactic games would be UFO Aftershock and UFO Afterlight. They have art problems, but the tactical aspect work fine.

:bro:

They're not the most popular UFO games but they're quite good indeed, or at least they were, i'm not sure how they aged, just remember having fun playing them, nothing ecstatic but what is nowadays ?

Readher

Savant
7OwFFoa.png

The future sure looks bright.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Interestingly in the new canon, Revan stuck with the dark side so I don't think we will be playing him in the remake. I think Disney wants them to focus on Exile.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mount & Blade is a very good example of how party tactics in a real time game can be implemented. I don't played that "pause" mod for Mount & Blade but seems not only unnecesary but greatly overpowering. It's some sort of easy-cheat mode.

Not true. M&B if you are facing a superior army and din't reduced the difficulty and opponent AI, this mod can help a lot. On Phantasy Calradia, play as a necromancer vs clerics is a pain in the *****, on Parabellun, if the enemy has a lot of heavily armored unities, "pause" to command your unities is a must have. Parabellum should add anti tank rifles to the game because armored unities are too powerful. I don't wanna to lose expensive dark mages every time that i face a cleric.

- Both games are different in many ways, but I was not comparing both games quality or their combats but their popularity in much more general context that Modron included: Turn based crpgs sell more and are more popular than RTwP.

I disagree. If this was the case, almost everyone would play PoE2 on turn based mode. And the most critically acclaimed games would not be RtWP.

DOS2 is popular because anyone who played a awful generic mmo can play easily while Pathfinder Kingmaker, people who doesn't wanna to read the rules, can't play properly. See how many game journalists "i cant hit a swarm with an axe 0/10" there was...

Dodo1610

Arcane
Mount & Blade is a very good example of how party tactics in a real time game can be implemented. I don't played that "pause" mod for Mount & Blade but seems not only unnecesary but greatly overpowering. It's some sort of easy-cheat mode.

Not true. M&B if you are facing a superior army and din't reduced the difficulty and opponent AI, this mod can help a lot. On Phantasy Calradia, play as a necromancer vs clerics is a pain in the *****, on Parabellun, if the enemy has a lot of heavily armored unities, "pause" to command your unities is a must have. Parabellum should add anti tank rifles to the game because armored unities are too powerful. I don't wanna to lose expensive dark mages every time that i face a cleric.

- Both games are different in many ways, but I was not comparing both games quality or their combats but their popularity in much more general context that Modron included: Turn based crpgs sell more and are more popular than RTwP.

I disagree. If this was the case, almost everyone would play PoE2 on turn based mode. And the most critically acclaimed games would not be RtWP.

DOS2 is popular because anyone who played a awful generic mmo can play easily while Pathfinder Kingmaker, people who doesn't wanna to read the rules, can't play properly. See how many game journalists "i cant hit a swarm with an axe 0/10" there was...

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pathfinder-kingmaker/critic-reviews not a single one, these games are always tested by people who have some experience with these games. All of the "bad" reviews were because of the game's housands of bugs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pathfinder-kingmaker/critic-reviews not a single one, these games are always tested by people who have some experience with these games. All of the "bad" reviews were because of the game's housands of bugs.

Not a single one? Gamespot review

" Perhaps a bit more troubling is the fact that within Pathfinder's ruleset, many monsters and creatures require very specific tools to kill. Swarms of small creatures like rats, for instance, can't be effectively fought with a sword and shield. Sometimes Kingmaker warns you, but other times it simply expects you to know how to handle the problem" https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pathfinder-kingmaker-review-the-classics/1900-6417006/

So yes, the Pathfinder Kingmaker problem according to gamespot is not the bugs, is the fact that you need to know the pathfinder ruleset to play a pathfinder game, just like you need to know soccer rules to play FIFA and the fact that swords can't kill a swarm of insects. How dare they are to not make a game where fast swinging blades solve everything from a insect swarm to a rocky golem!!! Doesn't matter if a guy sells bombs and say that you will probably need it or torches, nor if the game gives alchemist companions. You need to solve everything with a fast swinging blade, otherwise the game is bad!!!! This is why Diablo 3 is a such amazing game. I can suck a blood from a skeleton with necro's siphon's blood, as longs i have a big and sharp axe to magically make disappear during the attack animation.

PS : Monsters requiring specific weapon to be dealt is not something new. Vampires on Daggerfall only takes damage from silver & better weaponry. On G1, stone golem only takes damage from hammers and blunt weapons, fire golems only from cold and ice golems only from fire.

EDIT : I used CTRL + F on the gamespot review, searched for bugs and

pNE358s.png

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
PS : Monsters requiring specific weapon to be dealt is not something new. Vampires on Daggerfall only takes damage from silver & better weaponry. On G1, stone golem only takes damage from hammers and blunt weapons, fire golems only from cold and ice golems only from fire.

You also needed silver weapons for ghost-like enemies in Morrowind.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
At least give us a real character crteation and race selection this time.
Wonder how the combat system is going to work, I doubt we will see a return of D20.

Yes please. Always bums me out when I can't play as a Rodian in a Star Wars game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I doubt there will be race selection because if the goal is to bring Revan back into continuity they're going to want some control over basic shit. At least, that's my assumption.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I doubt there will be race selection because if the goal is to bring Revan back into continuity they're going to want some control over basic shit. At least, that's my assumption.

That's why I doubt Revan will even be the playable protagonist. We already know that Revan is a Sith in the new Star Wars canon, so unless they want to remove the light/dark choices from KOTOR he won't be the playable character.

JDR13

Arcane

That's why I doubt Revan will even be the playable protagonist. We already know that Revan is a Sith in the new Star Wars canon, so unless they want to remove the light/dark choices from KOTOR he won't be the playable character.

Who says it has to comply with Disney canon?

Dodo1610

Arcane

Isn't that what Disney wants these days that everything Star Wars is part of their canon even Battlefront 2 and Fallen Order are part of it. Of course there is also the a lot of rumors that say the next triology will be set in the Old Republic.

JDR13

Arcane

Isn't that what Disney wants these days that everything Star Wars is part of their canon even Battlefront 2 and Fallen Order are part of it. Of course there is also the a lot of rumors that say the next triology will be set in the Old Republic.

Unless there's some kind of contractual agreement in regards to it, I don't believe game developers are obligated to stick to any kind of "official" canon.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Unless there's some kind of contractual agreement in regards to it, I don't believe game developers are obligated to stick to any kind of "official" canon.

Disney has absolutely said everything released in any medium will be in official canon, and a "story group" controls it all. How well they stick to that... who knows. Pretty sure there are already contradictions with Snoke and the last movie.

Codex Year of the Donut
SWTOR already finished Revan's story and there a zero percent chance they'll retcon an active product.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
But why not? Are the diehards who still play SWTOR in 2020 going to quit just because something isn't canon anymore? Is anyone playing it for the game anymore? I imagine they're like Flat Earthers or Jonestown where they're stuck with it because if they leave, they leave behind their friends and family and they can't live without that social interaction.

Codex Year of the Donut
But why not? Are the diehards who still play SWTOR in 2020 going to quit just because something isn't canon anymore? Is anyone playing it for the game anymore? I imagine they're like Flat Earthers or Jonestown where they're stuck with it because if they leave, they leave behind their friends and family and they can't live without that social interaction.
uh, it's still really popular
https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/01/...llion-dollars-and-ea-is-pleased-most-pleased/
there was a new expansion just a few months ago

Codex Year of the Donut
SWTOR already finished Revan's story and there a zero percent chance they'll retcon an active product.

TOR already isn't canon dude. It's tied to KotOR, and came out before the Disney takeover. When Disney took over they made it clear everything was gone except the movies and cartoons.
Nothing is stopping Disney from making it canon, and again — there's a zero percent chance EA would make a game that directly retcons one of their best selling games that's still being actively developed. You're delusional if you think this would happen.
It will have absolutely nothing to do with Revan other than possibly in passing.
And for the record, elements of TOR have been made canon already.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nothing is stopping Disney from making it canon, and again — there's a zero percent chance EA would make a game that directly retcons one of their best selling games that's still being actively developed. You're delusional if you think this would happen.
It will have absolutely nothing to do with Revan other than possibly in passing.
It's been the world's most expensive fanfiction for almost 6 years - it can't be retconned since it hasn't been in continuity since 2014. The people playing SWTOR today know it's not canon and (rightfully) don't give a shit.

The whole point of making a clean slate and branding the old EU as "Legends" was so that Disney could tell whatever kind of story they wanted to tell without being bogged down by decades of stories (most of which that are unknown to the average Joe anyway).
They're not suddenly gonna decide that one non-canon MMO is too holy to contradict - especially one as galaxy-spanning as SWTOR, which would severely limit their world when writing the next blockbuster trilogy.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's been the world's most expensive fanfiction for almost 6 years. It can't be retconned since it hasn't been in continuity since 2014. The people playing SWTOR today know it's not canon and (rightfully) don't give a shit.

The whole point of making a clean slate and branding the old EU as "Legends" was so that Disney could tell whatever kind of story they wanted to tell without being bogged down by decades of stories (most of which that are unknown to the average Joe anyway). They're not suddenly gonna decide that one non-canon MMO is too holy to contradict - especially one as galaxy-spanning as SWTOR, which would severely limit their world when writing the next blockbuster trilogy.
guess disney better find someone else to make their ga—
oh wait disney signed an exclusivity agreement with EA
you guys are fucking delusional

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom