Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #41: begun the closed beta has

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The demo is good, but I disagree that you should charge for it.

Codex Year of the Donut
i dont get how you compare StS to this game?
do you hate roguelikes too because you never replay/reroll your character? go to ending once and thats it?
Most good roguelikes will take months if not years to get to the 'ending' without outside help. I got to the 'ending' of StS in an afternoon.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
See the fourth screen in the first post.
Oh right, duh :shittydog:. Will it get a facelift before release or is this pretty much it? Love me some in-style sheets a la FO/Arcanum/AoD :incline:
Hard to say. Our focus is on the mechanics, content, and in-game art (icons, portraits, props, etc). The current GUI won't win any awards but it's functional. If we get an opportunity to improve it, we will, but it's not high on the priority list.

... but I'm letting you know that you're doing something right with your Colony Ship game. I honestly didn't think you could pull it off and create something as fun as AoD (at least when it comes to combat) for the second time. Especially with that strange new "gain skills by using them" system (I;m still not a fan of it but it works here excellently).
Thanks, means a lot.

Saduj

Arcane
Does the learn by use system make it harder to fuck up a character build? Seems like it would as long as the starting stats are reasonable while at the same time doing nothing to help pro players who rage quit after the first fight.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wish you guys would do a figstarter or some shit, Vince. Hire more talent to shape up the game. I would gladly donate 500 euro or more to your game man. You've come a long way, and the demo is shaping up great.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wish you guys would do a figstarter or some shit, Vince. Hire more talent to shape up the game. I would gladly donate 500 euro or more to your game man. You've come a long way, and the demo is shaping up great.
buy $500 worth of AoD keys and give them out

Could do that, honestly. But who to give them to? Just post massive keys on some site? :D

Codex Year of the Donut

Could do that, honestly. But who to give them to? Just post massive keys on some site? :D
mail them to codex staff and they'll hand them out, I'd imagine

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

mail them to codex staff and they'll hand them out, I'd imagine

Okay. I'll talk to infinitron about it, but I doubt theres even enough codex members to take all the keys, but eh. as long as vince gets the money im fine with it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Thank you for the thought, means a lot, really, but it's unnecessary. Your feedback and moral support are all the help we need.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Stupid question, just destroy them/never reveal them. Why give them away so that IT would lose potential customers? Also, giving them to people who haven't bought this gem already is just asking for massive negative reviews, you can bet that most of them will say "combat is too hard/unfair", "I can't do shit", etc.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Thank you for the thought, means a lot, really, but it's unnecessary. Your feedback and moral support are all the help we need.

Allright man, I just wanna help out. I want you guys to succeed, you deserve everything great after all the stuff you been through :)

Codex Year of the Donut

Stupid question, just destroy them/never reveal them. Why give them away so that IT would lose potential customers? Also, giving them to people who haven't bought this gem already is just asking for massive negative reviews, you can bet that most of them will say "combat is too hard/unfair", "I can't do shit", etc.
IIRC codex has distributed keys before only to people who have been a member for a while. I'm sure there's some poor third worlders who have to choose between eating for the year, buying alcohol, and playing video games like fantadomat

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Those guys have already pirated this game so being poor is no excuse for not playing it. And AFAIK fantadomat isn't poor, he's just stingy.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Recently I've bought Slay the Spire that Eyestabber recommended and I'm sorry to say but I've wasted my money somewhat. It took me like 2 hours to finish the game and that was basically it. Yes, later some new challenges were unlocked but they were basically the same, only slightly harder (or much harder in a custom game, although at lvl 20 - maximum - I've reached second boss and got bored to try again because too much relied on lucky draws, if I got decent cards and relics and the right order reaching even final boss wouldn't be that hard but usually I got shit and could as well reload because going further than 2nd boss was impossible).

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game, m8 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I did and my recommendation of it is about as honest as you're ever gonna get*. Did you actually try the other 3 characters...? As for relying on "lucky draws" and relic RNG, that's the exact same argument raised against AoD back in 2015, and it's just as false, but this time the shoe is on the other foot (aka a game you disliked). Anyway, I know I can't convince you or anyone else to change their minds, but I stand by my recommendation of Slay the Spire.

Also, I find your claims (yours and rusty_shackleford ) of "completion" in what amounts to be record time to be rather odd. Did you guys really beat the Heart in like 2 hours...? Of course there's zero point in playing the game 4 times (bare minimum) if the first one wasn't enjoyable, HOWEVER, claimig the game doesn't offer much in the way of content is akin to leaving Teron and then claiming AoD has only one city. It's simply wrong.

1C9ENou.png

Does the learn by use system make it harder to fuck up a character build? Seems like it would as long as the starting stats are reasonable while at the same time doing nothing to help pro players who rage quit after the first fight.

That's (sorta) the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the new system. I remember one of the brain dead journos who wrote a Spanish AoD review claiming some really ludicrous things (as in, things that weren't in the game at all, like boots). His char-sheet "proudly" showed a spread between two weapons and both dodge and block. I mean...I know I wrote guides and stuff, but COME ON, AOD ISN'T FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE!!!11 How does something as simple as "put points into your favorite weapon + pick either block or dodge as your defense" goes completely over his head? How the fuck are these individuals even alive? In Nature that..."person" would've been eaten by predators a long time ago. /rant

What I mean is that the new system makes it a bit harder to fuck it up. But hey, never underestimate the Power of Idiocy™. It's still possible to swap weapons after every fight, thus ensuring no skill ever raises above 2 and, maybe, take some feats that are 100% unrelated to your chosen weapon. I guess the main benefit of the new system is that a functional human won't complain about having to hoard skill points and savescum in order to progress.

reminder that the totally legit and definitely not manipulated rpg codex goty poll ranked this as the #2 2019 RPG

Third place, and the game (game, not RPG, something I mentioned) is good. I'll say it again: the premise of an yearly poll is flawed, there just aren't that many releases of actual RPGs. Disco Pretentious won because there wasn't anyone competing against it. The closest thing we got in 2019 was the Underrail expac, but the poll puts expansions and DLC into a separate category (where Expedition won by a landslide IIRC).

Plus the game looks better and despite it obviously being mechanically heavier, it can pass as nu xcom lookalike and there are obvious market for it (mutant year zero, Phoenix point, etc).

It's overall easier sell than aod

I'm quoting from another thread, but this point is pretty relevant. The visual similarities to nu-Xcom are a double-edged sword, IMO. On one hand it will attract a larger audience, but OTOH I think it might be a good idea to put the following warning on the Steam page: "THIS IS NOT A FUCKING 2-ACTION SYSTEM!". The AP-count actually doubled from AoD and the itemization has a lot more depth to it.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Did you actually try the other 3 characters...?
Yes, I've tried all of them.

As for relying on "lucky draws" and relic RNG, that's the exact same argument raised against AoD back in 2015, and it's just as false
I was talking about lvl 20 fights, since after beating the game in 4 hours (I thought it was 2 hours but it was actually 4) any other challenge was meaningless. And yes, at that level unless you'll get right relics and right cards in the right order you can as well restart. I've played this game for 10 hours, maybe even more but I still don't recommend it.

What's more, comparing such simple game to AoD is just stupid. Of course there are tactics involved in StS here but compared to AoD they are really simple and it took me moments (compared to AoD) to figure stuff out. I don't know why you're praising this primitive game so much but RNG in AoD and RNG in StS are totally different animals. The main difference is, in AoD, even if you get a bad roll, on average you might still be OK and even if not you don't have to begin from the very start (plus what you've learned about your opponent will bear fruit in your next attempt, which is also true for StS but to a much lesser extent).

In StS you might be doing all the right things and then you get an opponent that is immune to your cards (and he's at the point where you don't have enough in your deck to compensate) or you might have the right cards but you get a shitty draw and you might even survive this fight but then the path you've chosen has another tough opponent next and you won't have enough HP to beat him or even if you do, that won't be enough for a boss. And then you have to restart and get totally different opponents, with totally different relics and depending on what you'll get your next run will be easier or harder, while in AoD you are the architect of your own fortune, not some RNG god.

At lower levels, sure, you would have to play really, really poorly to lose but again, I'm talking about lvl 20.

Last edited:
That's (sorta) the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the new system. I remember one of the brain dead journos who wrote a Spanish AoD review claiming some really ludicrous things (as in, things that weren't in the game at all, like boots). His char-sheet "proudly" showed a spread between two weapons and both dodge and block. I mean...I know I wrote guides and stuff, but COME ON, AOD ISN'T FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE!!!11 How does something as simple as "put points into your favorite weapon + pick either block or dodge as your defense" goes completely over his head? How the fuck are these individuals even alive? In Nature that..."person" would've been eaten by predators a long time ago. /rant

The fact that normies are a majority of people is a proof that their surviving strategy may sadly be the most optimal. You may not like it, I don't like it too, but it's sadly the reality we life in.
:negative:

Deleted Member 22431

The fact that normies are a majority of people is a proof that their surviving strategy may sadly be the most optimal. You may not like it, I don't like it too, but it's sadly the reality we life in.
Pretty much. Creativity and capacity for abstract thinking goes against our basic instincts of group thinking. In other words, rationality is a suicidal enterprise in its very essence, because you always have incentives to succumb to social mores and the vices of the group. In a sense, their strategy is the most optimal because they are the majority that dictates the rules we all live in.

Trashos

Arcane
I honestly didn't think you could pull it off and create something as fun as AoD (at least when it comes to combat) for the second time. Especially with that strange new "gain skills by using them" system (I;m still not a fan of it but it works here excellently).

I am very excited about Colony Ship, but the learn-by-doing thingy is the one thing that worries me. I have a hard time imagining how planning a character will be fun with it. Why do you think "it works excellently here"?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I honestly didn't think you could pull it off and create something as fun as AoD (at least when it comes to combat) for the second time. Especially with that strange new "gain skills by using them" system (I;m still not a fan of it but it works here excellently).

I am very excited about Colony Ship, but the learn-by-doing thingy is the one thing that worries me. I have a hard time imagining how planning a character will be fun with it. Why do you think "it works excellently here"?
It works excellently in the demo, giving us the option to manually add points where we want wouldn't change much, either we would specialize in one weapon (that's what the system is doing automatically) or we would lose by spreading our skills too thin. How it will work in a full game I have no idea, like I said, I'm not a fan of that system. Instead they could have gone with the VTMB solution and give the option to either autodistribute points or to do it manually but it's probably wishful thinking at this point.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will you be able to walk in the real game? Or maybe you already can in the demo but I'm missing the setting.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I am very excited about Colony Ship, but the learn-by-doing thingy is the one thing that worries me. I have a hard time imagining how planning a character will be fun with it.

Just start playing as that character you are planning. I have Billy, the first companion, and I like him as a rifleman. I give him a rifle, and after a few fights he's quite proficient with it, especially since I give him feats that reinforce that build (rifleman gives him more THC with rifles, so he level's up his skill faster). Criticals? Use attacks and weapons that increase the chance to get them, the select a feat that increases the chance. With feats and tags you can definitely nudge the character the way you want it to be.

EDIT: Plus there's the choice of implants that further reinforce a build. Builds in CSG are made of:

- Stats
- Tags
- Feats
- Implants
- Equipment choice (especially gadgets)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom