Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
These jrpgs are very complex. Only smart kids could understand the story,

flyingjohn

Arcane
These jrpgs are very complex. Only smart kids could understand the story,
You know,i am starting to enjoy the batshit insane plots of the jrpg's of the 90's.
There is something about " how much philosophical and symbolic bullshit can we pack in our game to emulate evangelion" that intrigues me.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why i love trails so much. it is alot more grounded than those, and alot more methodical in its worldbuilding. it never feel to go overboard with its fantasy nor it throw around random mythology terms to make it sound deep or smarter. it does borrow some greek and nordic terms (like ouroboros, oprheus ) but they play it really as it is it's own world that have a sense that those term still feel natural to their own world and just subtly nod the real world mythology parallel

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i am worried about the geofront patch at this point. i think the team is obsessed with perfection that it basically have entered "just a few microissues left". like you tweak something endlessly to achieve perfection that never come (looking at the tweets the past several days)

Deleted member 7219

i am worried about the geofront patch at this point. i think the team is obsessed with perfection that it basically have entered "just a few microissues left". like you tweak something endlessly to achieve perfection that never come (looking at the tweets the past several days)

Well it happened with Team Gizka. I remember when they said their KOTOR 2 patch was complete and they were fixing minor bugs before releasing it (is that where you got the microissues from?). Before too long, the project fell apart and people who worked on it started coming out and revealing what a total pack of lies it was. Then another team brought out TSLRCM instead and all was well.

I don't feel like that is happening here, I just think they shouldn't have done the whole percentage thing as it raises expectations that release is imminent as soon as you get to 100%.

Jinn

Arcane

I actually just looked at the tweet earlier and thought to myself "really, this is what you're spending time on this close to release?" I felt like a little bit of an entitled bitch after I thought that, but come on. A driving wheel?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Apparently Geofront is done, imminently, maybe?

Soon please the RPG drought is getting a bit much

tet666

Augur
Apparently Geofront is done, imminently, maybe?

Soon please the RPG drought is getting a bit much

Geofront is done for a while now but looks like that doesn't mean much, i'm replaying CS II and at this point i kinda expect to finish CS III as well before they release it.

Jinn

Arcane
Geofront is done for a while now but looks like that doesn't mean much, i'm replaying CS II and at this point i kinda expect to finish CS III as well before they release it.

Yeah, for an update with "imminent" in the title, I really didn't expect us to be waiting 5+ weeks for even any word on a solid release date, but I guess I should have known better. Who knows when this shit is coming out now.

tet666

Augur
Yeah whatever i allrdy waited a few years and even skipped the shitty machine translation, i think i can wait a few weeks/months more.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

Yeah, for an update with "imminent" in the title, I really didn't expect us to be waiting 5+ weeks for even any word on a solid release date, but I guess I should have known better. Who knows when this shit is coming out now.
to be fair, looking at several days of tweets and discord chat i think they underestimated the testing process. especially they have some half dozens or more testers they found some technical problem. anyone ever beta testing any software probably know the bugs can appear in places nobody even noticed just because of the sheer number of people playing it and the variables just increase exponentially with each persons.

it's true i was kinda pissed at the wheel tweet but after researching a bit more there really seem to be real problems to be fixed that popped up after the first pass (which assumedly only played by handful of the core teams instead of several more volunteers beta testers)

Nostaljaded

Savant
Hajimari no Kiseki self-composite character portraits

12ayCgT.png

2 years older and now with much more world experience.
Hopefully writing ties with more mature characterizations and interactions.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is pretty interesting development. A new publisher called Clouded Leopard Entertainment announced PC version of Cold Steel IV, with Chinese and Korean localization: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/the...with-traditional-chinese-and-korean-subtitles

No English release announcement. That's probably for NISA.

(This new publisher also announced that PC versions of the first three games will be available in Chinese and Korean. Why is this interesting? Because, before Ys IX, Falcom has depended on Sony for Chinese/Korean localization. Naturally Falcom or publishers (Xseed, NISA) of PC versions couldn't use the localization for PC release. This was obviously a huge missed opportunity for Falcom, that they couldn't sell their games to Asian PC gamers.

Now this new publisher, it's recently founded by manager worked at Sony's localization team. So no coincidence. Apparently its main business will be providing global publishing service for Japanese and Asian creators, that includes English localization. That makes me wonder if this new publisher is interested in taking Falcom's future games, providing every possible localization on every possible platforms, unlike XSeed or NISA.)

Ysaye

Arbiter
I found this an interesting read on how Falcom is going...

https://www.esterior.net/2019/12/falcoms-2019-end-of-year-financial-sheet-record-profits-earned/

I suppose though one of the worries is how well End of Saga was received (I know some people have said it is probably the weakest game...but then it had a lot to live up to coming as the conclusion to CS3!) and how that influences people's interest going forward. The Ys VIII Switch version being a top ten seller is also interesting in a way (although all the other top selling games were PS4 versions).

Deleted member 7219

I am nearing the end of TOCS 3.

Ash shooting the Emperor... god I hated him, and then doubt is cast as to whether he was in control of his actions - this will likely be expanded upon before the end of the game but what drama. I think I actually prefer the low drama of TITS and TOCS 1. One of the things I liked about Trails was how it took its time - the games felt low key with a few dramatic points here and here, that served an overall story arc - but now I feel it just keeps going up and up a level and is starting to become ridiculous. I wanted at least four more sagas in the Trails series - Calvard, Zemiferia, Leman - before ending in Arteria for the ultimate conclusion. I based this off comments from the Falcom president a few years back who said, at the release of TOCS 4, Trails wasn't even half way done. But the way things are going I fear they are rushing it.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly I'd rather they end the series in the next 10 years than the next 30.

Game of Thrones Wheel of Time style series are just shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom