Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Zeriel

Arcane
That ship has sailed, they made lots of money and got the normies interested with battle arenas, pretty obvious that would be the future.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Indeed. If you're not expecting a Doom 2016 sequel to be a Doom 2016 sequel then I don't know what to tell ya.

I both enjoyed and was annoyed by Doom 2016. Wasn't very good but still a lot better than most modern shooters. Hopefully I can enjoy sequel more.

Zeriel

Arcane
Worst part of Doom was realizing how close it came to being a good game. Great engine and fundamentals, but I hated the encounter design.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I both enjoyed and was annoyed by Doom 2016. Wasn't very good but still a lot better than most modern shooters. Hopefully I can enjoy sequel more.

I have pretty similar feelings, except I think it was quite good. There were lots of little things that annoyed me but overall I think it was great. I'm sure Eternal will piss me off in little ways too but I am not expecting a perfect game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Indeed. If you're not expecting a Doom 2016 sequel to be a Doom 2016 sequel then I don't know what to tell ya.

We weren't expecting anything, until THEY said the arena style was limited, which is what got us curious. I guess this spider man crap was their "solution" to the corridor-arena-corridor-arena formula of the original. Now instead of corridors you get to hop around like a gecko. Wonderful.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Summoner in the last game was basically supposed to the Archvile, this time around on top of summoning enemies the Archvile can dash around, use a short-range hitscan attack, and spam big AoE firewalls if the Battle Mode footage is any indication.
Carcass (the shield-spamming fuck) is supposed to be a hard counter to the rocket launcher, though you can still use your RL if you're nimble enough
Whiplashes are fast evasive enemies that slither across the ground, forcing you to divert your attention between the ground and enemies high-up
Marauder is like a psuedo-boss that has a small army supporting it. Repeated encounters, has plasma axe + SSG

A gameplay video made by someone who doesn't actually suck, using a controller no less:

Fucking IGN lmao.

I'll concede this does look an improvement from Doom 2016 but it's basically the same game. No level design for us boomers.

Is this playing on the easier difficulties or did they decrease the damage the player takes?

Not making fun of the video, actually geniunely curious if they are increasing difficulty in better ways (e.g. more enemies that are more aggressive and less health pickups) than simply boosting enemy damage to the point where 2 hits from an imp can take you down from full health, because that was an unfun part of difficulty in nuDoom.

Jezal_k23

Summoner in the last game was basically supposed to the Archvile, this time around on top of summoning enemies the Archvile can dash around, use a short-range hitscan attack, and spam big AoE firewalls if the Battle Mode footage is any indication.
Carcass (the shield-spamming fuck) is supposed to be a hard counter to the rocket launcher, though you can still use your RL if you're nimble enough
Whiplashes are fast evasive enemies that slither across the ground, forcing you to divert your attention between the ground and enemies high-up
Marauder is like a psuedo-boss that has a small army supporting it. Repeated encounters, has plasma axe + SSG

The new enemies look sick, but I wanted to hear about the Cyderdemon.

Jezal_k23

Polygon seems to have avoided complete embarrassment this time around... but now we have this guy. It's so infuriating to watch. He just can't wrap his head around one of the platforming sessions. I'm assuming we'll have some people raging about them, and this guy would probably be one of them based on the miserable experience he had in that video. It's miserable to watch and no doubt miserable for him to play. But god it seems so insane to me that he just can't figure it out at all. I keep waiting for him to have a breakthrough like "oh so THIS is what I had to do, which I should have easily figured out looking at the automap" but he just doesn't.

I gotta say Dean Takahashi REALLY puts that "the game won't let you play the wrong way" thing to the test...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The fact he is Asian just adds insult to injury. Video game autism should be in his blood.

The fact this guy STILL has a job just shows why gaming media needs to die. I don't think youtube faggots are all that great but at least they can play the fucking games.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Remember the tower climb from DOOM 2016?

If Eternal is full of that kind of section, I don't want to play it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Polygon seems to have avoided complete embarrassment this time around... but now we have this guy. It's so infuriating to watch. He just can't wrap his head around one of the platforming sessions. I'm assuming we'll have some people raging about them, and this guy would probably be one of them based on the miserable experience he had in that video. It's miserable to watch and no doubt miserable for him to play. But god it seems so insane to me that he just can't figure it out at all. I keep waiting for him to have a breakthrough like "oh so THIS is what I had to do, which I should have easily figured out looking at the automap" but he just doesn't.

Don't ever watch a Giant Bomb "quick look," it's literally painful.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

I gotta say Dean Takahashi REALLY puts that "the game won't let you play the wrong way" thing to the test...

It's not the developers' fault he's a complete fucking moron. You gotta wonder how he finished school, managed to get a driver's licence and how he managed not to accidentally cut his dick off.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Play like an absolute moron, get downed to 5 HP by a single enemy, kill said enemy, get back up to 90 HP from just killing that one enemy. What a great game you have there, id soft, you absolute bunch of useless wankers.

He was playing on one of the easier difficulties considering the enemy's damage.
The GK system is in place to incentivise players to be as aggressive as possible and take risks as the largest rewards come from the strongest enemies, specially on higher difficulties where lesser enemies give very little and you need to kill larger quantities of more dangerous enemies to get a substancial amount (I still think that lesser enemies on high difficulties shouldn't give out anything).
The GK system is essentially a much much less OP version of Zandatsu from MGR, and that game is still good (and just plain awesome):

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you play on hard you absolutely cannot play that shitty and rely on the glory kill system, let alone nightmare or whatever it's called. There is a complaint to make that those harder difficulties make you do the eventually tiresome glory kill animations to get health and ammo though. I played on one notch above normal in 2016 and felt like that was a good balance where I was challenged and didn't have to do a lot of glory kills, but it was 3 years ago so who knows for sure...

Jezal_k23

Play like an absolute moron, get downed to 5 HP by a single enemy, kill said enemy, get back up to 90 HP from just killing that one enemy. What a great game you have there, id soft, you absolute bunch of useless wankers.

Then he got past the platforming session by walking through the lava...

Also I think he's playing on ITYTD. Still too difficult for him, unfortunately.

At least with the gamescom thing there was the excuse that gamescom was a convention with a wide variety of games and he happened to be offered a game to play that he wasn't very good at. There's probably a few game genres that if I was offered out of the blue to play while being recorded that I'd embarrass myself at. But here, the site had a game demo, looked around to see which of their... uhh... "people" (for lack of a better term) would be best able to show off interesting gameplay, and either his boss picked him or Dean himself volunteered. They then looked at the result and decided that it was good enough to publish. What the fuck.

But hey, he's figured out how to air dash since cuphead.

Dean Takahashi of GamesBeat plays a couple of the platforming levels of Doom Eternal. This part shows there are a lot of platform puzzles to solve in the game.

"A lot of platform puzzles" = One that takes him 10 minutes to pass.

Unfortunately for Dean the "he's just not good at platforming" excuse doesn't work either since there were permanent onscreen instructions during the Cuphead tutorial that he simply ignored.

-

hoes mad

hoes mad (x15)

edit: actually it's a pretty bad and annoying video, I regret linking it while I was halfway through it.

Last edited:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Unfortunately for Dean the "he's just not good at platforming" excuse doesn't work either since there were permanent onscreen instructions during the Cuphead tutorial that he simply ignored.

-

hoes mad

hoes mad (x15)

edit: actually it's a pretty bad and annoying video, I regret linking it while I was halfway through it.

Thats a parody account right, parody of some retarded zoomer reaction vid kid with all their shitty tastes and sensibilities, right? All the replies are people that are in on the joke, right?

Right?

Ill try to finish the video and hope that he breaks character near the end, im hopeful that its not real.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom