Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Starwars

Arcane
Like the goddamn narrator in Deadfire, in the very first few sentences of the game, pronouncing Arkannon (or however you spell it) differently than what you hear throughout all of PoE.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Reading through the last few pages... on the Bioware four planets thing, I think that design works well WHEN there is actual choice and payoff for those choices. The problem is that there rarely is. I've played Dragon Age Origins three times as wildly different characters, and while choices had consequences in each area the order I did them in never fucking mattered at all. I replayed KotOR 2 recently (an Obsidian game!) and I went to Dantooine first, thinking as an old Jedi base I would have a better chance at getting a lightsaber there. Ends up though, the parts are carefully scattered to make sure you get a saber at roughly the same time each playthrough. If you choices on when to do what "planet" mattered more, that design would have a lot more merit. They rarely ever do though.

In contrast more open games like New Vegas or Morrowind often do reward you differently depending on where you go first. In Morrowind for example what house you joined, which guild quests you did first and where you made your "home" could vary a lot depending on which way you walked from Seyda Neen. Also which unique items you got depended on the dungeons you walked past. In New Vegas lots of stuff was effected by how fast you got to Vegas, which factions you met when, which companions you met, etc. I remember my first playthrough I barely knew who Veronica was because I went to that travel stop so late. My second playthrough I met her very early and she was my bro the whole game. That stuff matters more in games like that, open worlds that aren't just pretty but non-interactive emptiness like a GTA or (*prepares flame suit*) Witcher 3.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Like the goddamn narrator in Deadfire, in the very first few sentences of the game, pronouncing Arkannon (or however you spell it) differently than what you hear throughout all of PoE.
Another downfall of voice acting. Why don't people just learn how to read?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I've played Dragon Age Origins three times as wildly different characters, and while choices had consequences in each area the order I did them in never fucking mattered at all.
It didn't? It determined the order that you got some of the companions, among other things. Take this as instance of a consequence: say you did the Mage Tower before reaching Redcliffe, and you sided with the templars by killing all the mages. Then when you reach Redcliffe, you find out that keeping the mages alive was the only way to resolve the Redcliffe situation with minimal bloodshed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It didn't? It determined the order that you got some of the companions, among other things. Take this as instance of a consequence: say you did the Mage Tower before reaching Redcliffe, and you sided with the templars by killing all the mages. Then when you reach Redcliffe, you find out that keeping the mages alive was the only way to resolve the Redcliffe situation with minimal bloodshed.

Fair point, I guess there's greater than zero examples. Still, I didn't feel like it was overall reactive when playing it. In contrast New Vegas feels like a game where you have a billion options at the start that all highly impact your experience.

Efe

Erudite
maybe thats your bias towards game design?
da:o tries very hard to create C&C ( or an illusion of it).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
maybe thats your bias towards game design?
da:o tries very hard to create C&C ( or an illusion of it).

Like I said, within the individual stories it does. We're talking about reactivity comparison between more open design and the Bioware "4 linear planets you choose from" design.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Viewing libertarianism as a credible choice...
:roll: Only in America.

Suits the guy's autism though.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Sawyer's journey to embracing historical materialism (spoiler: nope, it was not caused by Disco Elysium)

Retard alert. The government caused the subprime mortgage crisis by requiring GSEs to purchase subprime loans(30% of all loans had to be subprime in 1992, increasing to 50% by 2000 to 55% in 2007.)
Well, why did they do that? Because it was rayciss too hard for poor people to get loans. Therefore, give them the loan anyway, who cares if they can't pay it — after all, what could go wrong? Prior to this, they only purchased loans from banks and other such organizations that regular privately owned institutional investors would purchase.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What a dummy.

Viewing libertarianism as a credible choice...
:roll: Only in America.

Suits the guy's autism though.
All the goons on Something Awful were libertarians in the 00s, then they all went hard left. Sheeple Sawyer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom