Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda NEVER Understood Fallout

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
What happened to Fallout under Bethesda is no different than what happened to Star Wars or Star Trek.

Well, there is one difference. I give a shit about Fallout.

Darkzone

Arcane
I dunno, but Romans and medieval people managed to build with bricks and considering many books and computers survive in Fallout, the techniques of creating adhesives wouldn't be lost in post-apoc America.
Yeah I am looking for some alternative adhesive used in history as well.
But in case of cement, even with the knowledge, it would be very hard to produce in Fallout like world. I've worked in a cement plant and it requires incredibly high temperature to make. I think the one I worked at have operating temperature of 800 - 1200 degree Celcius which is impossible in post-apocalyptic world of fallout. I guess you would have plasma cells, but producing cement without the proper industrial equipment would be hard.
I think that you need around 1450°C for Cement to go to Clinker. This is not a problem if you have coal for the ovens, but in desert environments this should be not the case. You can make very easy Concrete with Limestone:

Primitive Technology calls this Cement, but i think he meant Concrete (haven't seen the video):

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The Codex has been saying this for at least 12 years.
Shamus Young has probably done so as well. I don't think this is the first Codex thread about his FO(3) videos or writings. It's kind of pointless at this stage, but I guess he just had the urge to bring it up again since some morons out there still don't get it.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Youtuber: Bethesda’s fallouts suck, this is why.
Me: You got my attention.
Youtuber: I liked collecting the power armors.
Me: BEGONE ABOMINATION.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Codex has been saying this for at least 12 years.
Shamus Young has probably done so as well. I don't think this is the first Codex thread about his FO(3) videos or writings. It's kind of pointless at this stage, but I guess he just had the urge to bring it up again since some morons out there still don't get it.

He's trying to increase traffic to his YouTube channel so I think he created this video as clickbait.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, Fallout 3 is just ruins and rubble everywhere, 200 years after the war. Realistically, most of the safe-to-visit areas would be cleared of rubble by now, new buildings would have been erected with salvaged old bricks or concrete blocks

Serious question. In a world lacking a cement industry what adhesive you would use to build stuffs from old bricks or concrete?

I dunno, but Romans and medieval people managed to build with bricks and considering many books and computers survive in Fallout, the techniques of creating adhesives wouldn't be lost in post-apoc America.

The buildings of Shady Sands also look like they were made with some kind of concrete, bricks or stone:

09D18BBF03D0EB81CCFCA99CC6DCEF0015A63D62

Brahmin shit probably.

jungl

Augur
That video sums up why I hated bethesdas fallout back when they released 3. It was already public knowledge their writers are lazy brainlets with oblivion. And lo and behold with fallout 3 its a lot easier to stick with 1950 gimick and have lazy world building even though it makes no sense to what the franchise already established. Its bad soulless corporate fiction like how the new star wars films are.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Isn't the video basically just stating the obvious?

Yeah, but here's something a little less obvious: these social media talking heads are useless, worthless, spineless cowards. Because in 2020 Bethesda is no longer universally regarded as the "gamer's little darling company" that can do no wrong. Fallout 76 happened and manboons are butthurt at Bethesda, so NOW the social media stooges "bravely" step forward and start trashing the company. While around here Bethesda has been regularly criticized since before Oblivion, everywhere else I looked it was always praise, praise and even MORE praise. Skyrim is the best game of all time (because it sold a lot, guise), Fallout 3 is stunning and brave for ditching that "outdated" isometric and slow crap in favor of more immersive and awsum first person, yada yada, yada. But now things are different, Bethesda fell from grace and I wouldn't be surprised at all if these stooges are reading the Codex "researching" some "original" talking points for their next round of e-begging.

Fallout 3's terrible assets are also the greatest weakness of New Vegas. NV built up proper societies and settlements, but most of the buildings still look like they haven't been maintained for a century due to Fallout 3's terrible textures. The city of Vegas should look a lot cleaner and more well-maintained than it does. It's a fucking tourist trap, after all.

True. I think this is due to the fact that the first casualty of "popamolization" is subtlety. Wider audience = lower common denominator => you need to make sure manboons understand things without getting a headache. Take Game of Thrones*, for instance. AFAIK the books only imply that Faggot-Knight and Gaylord are like...super gay. Together. In the TV Series you had a scene of both character fucking. Because implying things just doesn't work, there's no way you can leave such a super important question like the sexuality of fictional characters without a clear cut answer, right?

Fallout 1 and 2 trust the player to not be a dumbass and remember that nukes happened. Some places were rebuilt, others weren't and the contrast between "rebuilt civilization" and "yolo-land" enriches the setting. Nu-Fallout, being primarily a console game, feels the need to remind its manboon audience that nukes happened. So that's why there's rubble everywhere, because NUKES. Why is that guy living in a house that REALLY looks like a safety hazard? Because NUKES! Why is scavenging the go-to choice for acquiring stuff? Because NUKES! Why are these dudes LARPING as Elvis? Because 50s!

It was such a beautiful moment when I first saw that the people of Shady Sands were raising two-headed cows for food and they had a pastoral society thing going on, complete with damsel stealing bandits and all. And then in F3 it's like "why make stuff when we can just take stuff from dead people? FOREVER!!!!11". :lol:

*: I have never read any of its books and I don't intend to. If my example is wrong, sue me.

Also, both fallout and fallout 2 showed humanity 's efforts to get back on its feet. The second game had places that looked...nice even, like vault city and shady sands 2.0.

In nu-fallout everyone turned into a lazy hobo that can't even be bothered to patch crumbling walls. For some reason.

Yeah, Fallout 3 is just ruins and rubble everywhere, 200 years after the war. Realistically, most of the safe-to-visit areas would be cleared of rubble by now, new buildings would have been erected with salvaged old bricks or concrete blocks rather than the simple wooden boards and sheet metal shacks we find in Megaton, and there'd be plenty more farming than we see in that game (is there even any farming at all? How do the communities in Fallout 3 produce food?).

Fallout 3's terrible assets are also the greatest weakness of New Vegas. NV built up proper societies and settlements, but most of the buildings still look like they haven't been maintained for a century due to Fallout 3's terrible textures. The city of Vegas should look a lot cleaner and more well-maintained than it does. It's a fucking tourist trap, after all.

Just compare how New Reno looks:
latest

To New Vegas which has a huge fucking hole in the main road, in the middle of the strip, the city's main attraction:
6e053d2800fa4ca602139e2d9ff9a8c6.jpg

I'd also imagine the Vegas strip of Fallout before the bombs dropped wouldn't look anything like that. The architecture for that world was a very dark Art Deco style, and they seeming loved putting faces on everything. Their world pre apocalypse seemed to look like a cross between Gotham in Tim Burton's Batman and H R Giger stuff. The strip of the Fallout world would have probably been a bunch of stuff like the MGM Grand, with things like the original lion entrance being a giant steel head.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom