Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And also: Do some stores close at night and some NPC's (those in buildings) go to sleep in SoA?
Ah this has awaken sweet memories of returning to Beregost at night after a long and exhausting journey with lots of goods and maybe a couple of dead bodies in backpacks just to realize that there’s not much to do except taking few pints in Juggler and go to sleep.
BG1 had amazing soundtrack.

Boomer_007

Novice
2) I know at least one trader in Waukeen's Promenade that moves to his house at nights (Maheer), and couple of traders in Docks and Potion lady on Bridge that work only at day hours. Several "Fencer" NPC appear only at nights (in Docks, Bridge, Slums and Promenade) and they tend to have more interesting item selections with some rare scrolls. One notorious guy in Promenade even has steal-able assortment of +2 weapons.

Thank so much for this reply.

What I remember - in ToB in Amkethran you can spot woman and child in one of houses - they sleep at night on the floor or bed and wake up in the afternoon. Have you seen anything like this in BG1 and especially in SoA?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What I remember - in ToB in Amkethran you can spot woman and child in one of houses - they sleep at night on the floor or bed and wake up in the afternoon. Have you seen anything like this in BG1 and especially in SoA?

I know only one house in SoA, next to Cromwell's place in Docs, where inhabitants go to sleep at nights. But there are only 2-3 peaceful house locations in Athkatla that are not linked to some quest. Happens everywhere in BG 1, where count of "generic" houses reaches several dozens and many (but not all) not-named NPC go to sleep at nights. It also makes stealing raids easier, since sleeping actually stops them from raising alarm.

Boomer_007

Novice
It's interesting. It's like some strange opposition between rudimentary "simulation" of NPC's behavior and idea of NPC's as questgiver-tools. But in the same time games like Ultima 7 have both - questgivers and plot-related NPC`s can live with really complex routines and even have proper reaction to stealing. They don't need to be generic for all of these staff.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
NPC's do sleep in both SoA and BG1 - if you enter houses during the night, you can see sleeping people in beds. Whether they are the same NPCs that are in the house during the day, I don't know and how could you even tell? AFAIK, there are no animations for NPCs to climb into beds.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
NPC's do sleep in both SoA and BG1 - if you enter houses during the night, you can see sleeping people in beds. Whether they are the same NPCs that are in the house during the day, I don't know and how could you even tell? AFAIK, there are no animations for NPCs to climb into beds.

The game disables and enables some NPC's from the game area depending on the time. No NPC's in this game actually have a script, that makes them go their house, and make them sleep.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Even better, beds are impassable terrain features :lol:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Managed to get reshade to work properly with Baldur's Gate 2, added some sharpening, colorfulness and CRT filter, here's pictures for comparison:
Vanilla:
6eju10v.jpg

With sharpening and colorfulness:
iJfoLf0.jpg

with sharpening, colorfulness and CRT filter:
qy7k5nc.jpg

The details in the backgrounds shows up a lot better with a bit of sharpening added, and I like colors being boosted a bit, but I'm not fan of the CRT filter, they don't ever really look right.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Reshade is very configurable, so you can tool with the shaders/filters a lot, the colors in my examples were probably a bit too much boosted, same with the sharpening and other effects. Shame that I don't have CRT anymore so I can't compare reshaded on how it looked originally. From what I remember, BG2 was more colorful on CRT as they display colors differently.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never heard of CRT filters. So do they work, or are they more like an uncanny valley?.

I finally killed Sarevok and watched the end sequence in the EE. I have to say I wasn't totally annoyed by Beamdog's version of the game itself, I was able to look over many of the issues the EE has and even enjoyed the game. But: How did these assclowns actually manage to ruin the main point of the end sequence by not showing you clearly that Sarevok's statue is just one of countless statues of other potential Bhaalspawns? That was the great moment at the end of the original game, when you suddenly realized that the whole fight is far from over and Beamfucks really fucked it up. The original sequence slowly ascends through numerous rows of statues to show you Bhaal's ugly face (a face vaguely appearing in the lava pit) at the end from a staggering height. In the EE they show you Sarevok's statue falling apart and then immediately jump up to show you the Bhaalface (in the EE it's the Bhaalface from the main menu and thus totally out of place in the scene). They even destroyed the careful composition and synergy between the masterful soundtrack and sequence.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I finally killed Sarevok and watched the end sequence in the EE. I have to say I wasn't totally annoyed by Beamdog's version of the game itself, I was able to look over many of the issues the EE has and even enjoyed the game. But: How did these assclowns actually manage to ruin the main point of the end sequence by not showing you clearly that Sarevok's statue is just one of countless statues of other potential Bhaalspawns? That was the great moment at the end of the original game, when you suddenly realized that the whole fight is far from over and Beamfucks really fucked it up. The original sequence slowly ascends through numerous rows of statues to show you Bhaal's ugly face (a face vaguely appearing in the lava pit) at the end from a staggering height. In the EE they show you Sarevok's statue falling apart and then immediately jump up to show you the Bhaalface (in the EE it's the Bhaalface from the main menu and thus totally out of place in the scene). They even destroyed the careful composition and synergy between the masterful soundtrack and sequence.

Yeah, this recalling ticked me off when I finished EE too. Thankfully, there are mods that restore the original BG videos.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
ugh I hate how much empty space there is in BG1, I already know where the quest and NPC’s are but my autism prevents me from leaving a wilderness area until all the fog is gone.

fuuuck this game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom