Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spectre

Arcane
I feel you. That pretty much leaves you with URG Reclamation, Doom Foretold or some kind of a creatureless Fires build, at least when it comes to standard.
Which means overloading on 'wankers, which is something I that rubs me the wrong way.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I like either cool theme decks (zombies, dinosaurs, spooky ghosts, etc..) or hardcore no win-con troll control to piss off netdeckers for like 100 turns. Unfortunately the theme decks are never really that good which would be fine if people in arena actually played something other than the top 5 "look I put all the best cards in standard into a deck and just slam 'em down!" netdecks.

My rule of law bounce deck is pretty good if it can get going and it's fucking hilarious, just board wipe at some point then bounce whatever they put down each turn until they concede out of frustration. Prison used to be a lot better with ixalan's binding and immortal sun, without those cards and with all of the insane pushed crap in standard right now it's tough to get it to work.

The Orzhov control deck I made is ok but it gets outdrawn and overwhelmed by all of the green decks. It's just too hard to keep up with the insane draw and ramp they have right now. Honestly don't think orzhov control is a realistic deck to make in this environment but I like the theme so I gave it a shot.

I AM enjoying the new UW control deck that's emerging featuring dream trawler. Dream trawler is just the perfect card vs. most decks out there right now.

Anyway, luckily limited is a thing so when I get tired of seeing the same 4 cards every damn game I can draft or something and see the other 99.9999% of cards that never appear in standard.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Dream Trawler is scary... I could handle it just fine if it wasn't for that discard and become hexproof thing. I should try limited soon, sounds fun.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Dream Trawler is scary... I could handle it just fine if it wasn't for that discard and become hexproof thing.

It's literally the perfect card for azorius. It's like Dovin Architect of Law on steroids, it does everything you need: draw, gain life, impossible to target, only dies to board wipe (which most decks don't run..), ends the game.

It's even more terrifying in limited.. That card being dropped in limited is instant gg, there's nothing in limited that can deal with it once on the board except shatter and chances your opponent even has that are basically zero.

spectre

Arcane
It's even more terrifying in limited.. That card being dropped in limited is instant gg, there's nothing in limited that can deal with it once on the board except shatter and chances your opponent even has that are basically zero.
There's a little trick you can pull, when an aura isn't play but comes into the battlefield from an ability, it can go around hexproof.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm always down with red aggro so I'm just playing that now. Anax made it good.
I like decks with hardcore sequencing cause I'm good at it and I feel smart playing them. Big IQ. Played shitloads of nexus and cats.

And on Dream Trawler... People are unironically playing consecrate/consume. lol

spectre

Arcane
Carnarium still kills the cat, no? That's enough to keep it relevant for a little longer.
Finale of Eternity os often overlooked as a wipe, so is Massacre Waifu. Ritual of Shoot always kept failing me, and is most definitely not something I'd run together with carnarium.

Also, I fucking made Diamond a minute ago, after a whole afternoon of back and forth - 3 wins, 3 loses.
It'll take me some time to get sufficiently unemployed or bored with masturbation to go over this again.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
well I got 4 krakens from sealed and this happened lol

jbfZVZo.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I still like Carnarium, when a red scumbag plays a board full of 1/1s and those 2/2 thief guys, a Carnarium is like gg :smug:
But yeah it is less good now that there are a lot more creatures that have 3+ toughness. Ritual of Soot never works for me :/ By the time I have 4 mana there is always some big creature that will survive it. Especially seeing as I NEVER get to go first :( Also as a control deck, turn 4 I am almost always close to death. My decks all need a good board wipe on turn 4 and then I slowly start clawing the game back into a victory. I couldn't cope without white :/ I really want to play Dimir but for this reason I don't even bother. I might be tempted to try blue red though now that there is that red card which does 4 damage to everything.

I had some hilarious victories with Massacre Grill but I also had some epic failures too where it comes out and kills nothing because their stuff is all 2/2+

I actually have 4 Wiches Vengeance but I never trusted it enough to even try it. I think it would be like Soot where it kills everything except the one thing that is gonna kill me next turn. Need that white privelege.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I can't get Dimir to work, my opponent always gets too many creatures out before I have counters, and Borrower never shows up reliably to bounce them back. After patch days I get constant disconnects, but after that it almost never happens.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I can't get Dimir to work, my opponent always gets too many creatures out before I have counters, and Borrower never shows up reliably to bounce them back. After patch days I get constant disconnects, but after that it almost never happens.

Are you still playing BO1? Because control decks typically are underperforming in that format since you craft your deck around answers and you cant have an answer to everything with just 60 cards.

Its also more fun and more balanced imho.

This is also the reason why BO1 is more popular by the way. People want to grind effectively so they want faster games, which means they go for the format in which the likelyhood of having to play against control deck is lower.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Are you still playing BO1? Because control decks typically are underperforming in that format since you craft your deck around answers and you cant have an answer to everything with just 60 cards.

Its also more fun and more balanced imho.

This is also the reason why BO1 is more popular by the way. People want to grind effectively so they want faster games, which means they go for the format in which the likelyhood of having to play against control deck is lower.

Yeah still doing Bo1, it is exactly like that. If I load up on removal I whoop the aggro decks but control decks slaughter me. Or go more control and aggro owns me in 3 turns. Can't win em all. I do enjoy finding a good balance for bo1 though. Once I am tired of the slog I will try Bo3. It would be nice to have a sideboard for more than just fae of wishes :)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow top 100 is a great achievement. Are you still using a discard focused deck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom