Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Why Owlcat's Kingmaker Sucks, in Plain Language

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The biggest complaint that steam fags had about the game back then were the swarms, kingdom management bugs, and other gameplay related bugs. Which the developers fixed. Which is why the ratings got better.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Steam fags also didn't like the difficulty in the game. It was too "hard", "masochistic","not like my regular pnp sessions", "DM is too cruel","I have years from pnp and the game is too hard", and so on and so forth.

Trashos

Arcane
The character design and companion choices are extremely awful, unasthetic and borderline misandric. That alone is enough to push away anyone.

Only Amiri is a misandrist, but you have various ways to deal with her quest (ie, you do not have to cater for her belief system, as a matter of fact you can go exactly the opposite direction). She is Pathfinder canon, unfortunately.

She is the only companion that has not grown on me. Her quest is pretty good, though.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
What people seem to forget about the companions is that your choices, how you interact with them, and your views. Do and can impart on them. These subtleties result in changes. These changes influence their personality. The issue is that these changes are only obvious when interacting with them in their quests. Furthermore, they also behave much differently when acting as advisors. Basically, they have a specific personality that is only specific to advisor dialogue. When out in the wild and adventuring non of these personalities come into play, at all. So you have character development that occurs during their quest and interaction with the player character. Then you have advisor personality that is only specific to kingdom management. It's quite disjointed, if you ask me.

For example, Amiri will act like a cool headed mature person when acting as an advisor. But during her quests, she has a complete different personality. Depending on the choices you made, her character development will change. Yet, despite said development, she will still act like a bumbling fool during camp time. Jaethal, one of my favorite companions in the game, suffers from this as well. Her personality is very inconsistent. If you influenced her into redeeming herself during her quests, she will still act like a crude person during camp time. She will also still behave as an oppressor while being an advisor.

The writers attempted character development, but its all disjointed and not as consistent. Why do companions have different personalities when acting as advisors? Why does character development through their quest not affect how they act as advisors or how they act during camp time?

PrettyDeadman

I've heard a lot of good things about the game and many times wanted to try it. Every time I stopped when seeing screenshots with generic fantasy cute portraits and colorful magic fireworks. Also as I saw in lp, writing is kinda teenage dumb (at least in Russian). But there is this fucking MCA goblin which supposed to be good...I don't know.
Teenage dumb is as good as it gets when we are talking about videogame writing. Pathfinder Kingmaker is WAY above its competition.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The character design and companion choices are extremely awful, unasthetic and borderline misandric. That alone is enough to push away anyone.
Yes, let's dismiss 150+h cRPG that plays like it's 99, with extensive party building and non-gamers need not apply approach to, well, almost everything because char portraits don't give me a boner.

Only on rpgcodex.net, prestigious magazine for cRPG connoisseurs.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I've heard a lot of good things about the game and many times wanted to try it. Every time I stopped when seeing screenshots with generic fantasy cute portraits and colorful magic fireworks. Also as I saw in lp, writing is kinda teenage dumb (at least in Russian). But there is this fucking MCA goblin which supposed to be good...I don't know.
Teenage dumb is as good as it gets when we are talking about videogame writing. Pathfinder Kingmaker is WAY above its competition.

What game was Codex GOTY 2019?

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It has 10k reviews because they had to scrap their original release which had mixed reviews. They hid that fact with a re-release trick (the 'Enhanced Edition') that changed nothing except to expunge the negative reviews from experienced gamers who had long since moved on. That re-release, and a swarm of shills inflating the current rating (which is still only 7/10), tricked more people into buying their shitty game.

That is a blatant lie (and petty one at this).
z8P06lp.png

You can easily sort reviews at Steam where oldest date as far September 2018. Original P:K and EE is the same application with the same App ID - 640820.

aIZzLRT.png

If you need an example how real scum attempt to leave a past behind looks like, check Bard's Tale IV.

st4PdGm.png

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Daidre

Only a Russian (or Crispy) would call the truth a lie.

There are dozens and dozens of posts on this forum making fun of the fact that Kingmaker had 'mixed' reviews, for months. I remember this era vividly because that's when I wrote my own Steam review. These posts are historically accurate, and are scattered all over the board.

Maybe if you inform the Politburo they'll hack into rpgcodex.net and erase them for you?

Here's one example that took me all of 30 seconds to dig up:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...llars-of-eternity.130567/page-20#post-6396936

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are dozens and dozens of posts on this forum making fun of the fact that Kingmaker had 'mixed' reviews, for months. I remember this era vividly because that's when I wrote my own Steam review. These posts are scattered all over the board.

I guess your precious review that you have already posted at Codex three times at least had not carried enough weight to break positive trend across the year that raised game's status from 69 (mixed) at Sep-Oct 2018 to 75 (Mostly positive) all time to 82 (Very positive) in last 30 days.

Gregz

Arcane
There are dozens and dozens of posts on this forum making fun of the fact that Kingmaker had 'mixed' reviews, for months. I remember this era vividly because that's when I wrote my own Steam review. These posts are scattered all over the board.

I guess your precious review that you have already posted at Codex three times at least had not carried enough weight to break positive trend across the year that raised game status from 69 (mixed) at Sep-Oct 2018 to 75 (Mostly positive) all time to 82 (Very positive) in last 30 days.

I can't outpace an army of chinese and russian shills who work for $1/hour.

Besides, there are people here who genuinely like this game. I don't know how, or why, but there should be variety in gaming. This game is not for everyone however, in fact, it's for very few people.

My personal hatred towards this game is the tremendous lost opportunity. To me Kingmaker marked the death of our hobby by the hands of fumbling incompetents.

Gregz

Arcane
I have no interest or incentive to do any of that.
But you will play the game 100h, complete it twice (allegedly), and then bitch about it on the Codex.

Read the sig.

I never completed it, I lost two separate games to bugs. I documented this in my review.

I'm not even bitching about those 100+ lost hours, I'm bitching about the death of a hobby I used to love. Thankfully there are still 30 years or so of RPGs worth playing.

Last edited:

Gibson

Learned
To me Kingmaker marked the death of our hobby by the hands of fumbling incompetents.

21930168.gif

I haven't played the game (yet) so I don't have an opinion on it, but dude srsly...dramaqueen much?
If your hobby can de killed with 1 (one) game, then you were on the verge of quitting this hobby anyway. Or you fell for the (over)hype at the beginning and was seriously disspointed, but in this case it's your naivety to be blamed for buying into the hype/marketing (a.k.a. "you a sucka bruh")

Gregz

Arcane
There hasn't been a good iso combat RPG released in years, Kingmaker was my last hope and Owlcat fumbled it terribly.

No one with any competence is making these kinds of games anymore.

If that doesn't upset you, you probably have no business on this website.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
There hasn't been a good iso combat RPG released in years, Kingmaker was my last hope and Owlcat fumbled it terribly.
Dude, chill, game's p gud and while it was released broken af it has now been patched into a very playable state. Yeah, it can be uneven and underwhelming in some aspects and the devs overscoped by a lot, but saying "it killed crpgs" or whatever is way ott.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Never had any hope for Poncefinder: Cuckmaker. Anyone who praises it gets iggy-binned. Paizo are cucks among cucks.

I'm not sure if anyone ever has. I mean, when Baldur's Gate is GOAT D&D RPG...

Haven't been genuinely upset since Troika/Atari mangled ToEE (17 years ago).

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's not that the portraits didn't give me a boner it's that they caused various parts of my anatomy to retract into my body permanently.

It's a very ugly game.

Though it must be said that the only reason that matters to me is that there is so much to like about it. If they fixed the aesthetics and the direction of the writing I would be very excited to play a sequel.

Also they could Khalid Lindsay in the opening sequence for Codex Points and replace her with a HK47 style character.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, let's dismiss 150+h cRPG that plays like it's 99, with extensive party building and non-gamers need not apply approach to, well, almost everything because char portraits don't give me a boner.

Only on rpgcodex.net, prestigious magazine for cRPG connoisseurs.
Unfortunately, statements as idiotic as these can not only be found on the codex.
By now, just putting a woman into a game and having the audacity to not give her boob armor with at least DD cup, is enough to upset the more fragile-minded amongst us.
As if there wasn't more than enough fapping material freely available outside of gaming.

It's a very ugly game.
That's unfortunately true.
The art style is consistent, at least, but I don't like it, either.

Gibson

Learned
There hasn't been a good iso combat RPG released in years, Kingmaker was my last hope

your hope for a good combat rpg was a "translation" of an existing tabletop game into a rtwp? like that has ever worked.
dude, what?

Solasta looks tempting on a first glance and the devs have Endless Games under their belt. if they bring that attitude towards Solasta, it has (for me at least) the potential to be a good good game (stilll early to call tho). and that's just fronm the top of my head, there are probably other games worth keeping an eye on.

free tip: tone your butthurtness a couple of notches down. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom