Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol. N'Zoth got defeated in one raid. Overhyped shit. This is worse than WoD.

Puukko

Arcane
The rest of the raid seems solid so even if it goes limp at the very end, there's still plenty to look forward to for a mythic raider. I like this very early phase of a patch the most, where there's constant meaningful upgrades to be had. Titanforging being gone is nice, though what we have in its stead is a different flavor of RNG... I don't quite get Blizzard's obsession with RNG, it's entirely possible to come up with more creative and rewarding carrot-on-a-stick schemes to keep the subs rolling without turning everything into a slot machine. Forced personal loot is cancer as well.

Generic-Giant-Spider

A big problem with every expansion since at least WoD is there's always some dumb gimmick that you don't give a shit about in two years when the next expansion rolls around. BfA is the worst in this regard because every major content patch has added in new gimmicky shit that won't matter in six-eight months. You started off with this whole necklace thing and Azerite armor to level up, then you get these Essences for the necklace that change up gameplay in some ways, then you get a legendary cloak and some corrupted items mechanic because N'zoth is free and shit but oh wait N'zoth also dies in that very same patch they're introduced so you don't even get to enjoy or look forward to where it goes from there.

WoW expansions have pruned so much player investment in character growth that they just put that shit as temporary content features and then hit the eraser icon to do it all over again with something else. The Legion class reworks have given this game extremely barren foundations to work on and unless they revert or make some big changes to the classes themselves you'll always start the next expansion going from some demon lord/Old God killing hero of the universe to struggling to kill a rare mob because you've yet to obtain the new gimmicky feature which makes your character not feel like total garbage to play.

J1M

Arcane
They view that as the pinnacle of design because the features are self-ejecting and they don't want to maintain 10 expansions of features stacked on top of each other.

They are patting themselves on the back for doing the things you hate. :lol:

Psquit

Arcane
Still had some decent storylines. Human campaign was top notched and the rest goes from mild disappointment to "whosyourdaddy". Thrall was a mistake from a canceled point & click adventure game. Hell'scream carry the orc storyline hard. At the end of the day I'm kinda biased with Wc3, I grew up playing the game and yes, i'm aware that the decline started here... but wc3 is good for what it is.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
XeYfBA2.jpg

Beastro

Arcane
WC 3 is far more interesting gameplay and lore wise compared to WC I and II combined.

Too much melodrama, plus the beginning where you're supposed to feel bad for the Orcs being put into reservations and treated like shit pissed me off given what we saw of them in the previous games.

In fact, I'm surprised they even bothered to take Orc prisoners in enough numbers to settle them in places.

Norfleet

Retconned the orcs into misunderstood savages along with other changes that I don't remember.
That part actually took place in the unreleased Thrall adventure game, which is where that character you're running through the campaign comes from.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But it was a good retcon to be honest. How interesting is a setup in which GOOD GUYS IN ARMOUR beat BAD GUYS WITH GREEN SKIN WHO WORSHIP LITERAL DEMONS (that's W1 and W2 is you didn't get me meanin'). Come on guys.

J1M

Arcane
But it was a good retcon to be honest. How interesting is a setup in which GOOD GUYS IN ARMOUR beat BAD GUYS WITH GREEN SKIN WHO WORSHIP LITERAL DEMONS (that's W1 and W2 is you didn't get me meanin'). Come on guys.
It is more interesting to have factions that have divergent morality than white humans living in castles vs. green humans living in huts.

Practical examples:
-ritually sacrificing a unit to make another stronger
-kamakazi attack units
-competing story motivations

You can always add another faction of cows that live in huts if you need a race of noble savages.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
The "noble savage" trope is never good.
True. It's not. And it was never true for the orcs while on Draenor. It's what Thrall believed to be true in the past, having been fed lies by Orgrim and building massive delusions due to his upbringing. And what Thrall tried to force on the Horde cost him severely.

Bloodhoof tauren fit the noble savage motif much better, and even then they're just one tribe. Besides, Blizzard when it was still a decent company showed that they absolutely can perform adequately when creating a true savage society: original, W3 night elves prove that (they were watered down immensely for WoW however).

Orcs from W1 and W2 were just, as mentioned, Always-Chaotic-Evil-Dumbfucks (moreso in W1, I'll give W2 its due). It's not interesting in the long run.

It works for warhammer.
You know, it's not bad to have some ambitions when making your setting. Warhammer is just... simple. And it works.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It works for warhammer.
Warhammer also has a dozen factions (if not more) which gives it a lot more leeway. Warcraft has 2. Always Chaotic Evil faction isn't too hammy when you have other factions that inhabit all the shades of grey - but it's boring when you only have the opposite. Popiel put it well.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I think that part of my problem comes from wow retarded lore. Can't separate these two.
Oh you absolutely can and should. And W3-era lore (W3 and some books) wins in almost every such encounter.

That bein' said, WoW constantly adds some good bits to the lore (some Kul Tiras stuff in BfA for example; human kingdoms in general were nicely differentiated, although it took 15 years).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom