Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Harthwain

Magister
Losing brothers seriously hurts my soul. :negative:

Maybe I should stop playing ironman mode.
Play Deserters. They can outrun everything.

Murk

Arcane
The tragedy of the loss of a brother you had from the very start to what is sometimes a careless mistake is part of the experience.

As is restarting until you get iron lungs n shit.

Johannes

Arcane
Losing in this game is not fun, since what will happen is you'll just grind your way to get to the same position. Totally different from Dwarf Fortress or such, where taking losses often takes you to a totally novel gameplay situation. And restarting is not fast like in a roguelike either.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm not sure I would enjoy this game if I never lost any bros. Then I'm just riding a safe boring linear trajectory upwards. There's no sense of danger, and all my dudes are clearly defined powerhouses by like level 6-7. The battles I really remember are the ones where I make it out but Starting Bro loses an eye, his grand sacrifice changing him from the master bowyer to a barely competent shieldman, and eventually causing his ignomious death to a low level enemy's lucky crit after months of fine service. Or it's about seeing that dude get an arrow in the lung and thinking he's a goner, but somehow he soldiers on to save his fellow bros battle after battle as long as he takes a 3 turn break after each swing.

I do agree that there's a design limitation about how repetitive it might feel to raise a new bro, partly because of how recruitment works. But anybody who just wants to walk around with 12 iron lungs clones and reload on every death can go fuck themselves with a wet copy of Oblivion

Murk

Arcane
I had one campaign where two bros had shitty vision to begin with and lost even more through injuries. At night, they couldn't see for shit, like 1 hex at best.

Was such a weird situation to realize what was going on when I moved the other bros away from them and went "wtf" only to put that 2+2 = I'mfuckedlol with them alone.

One was a duelist :negative:

He truly became the blindniggasamurai

Zanzoken

Arcane
I'm not sure I would enjoy this game if I never lost any bros. Then I'm just riding a safe boring linear trajectory upwards. There's no sense of danger, and all my dudes are clearly defined powerhouses by like level 6-7...

... I do agree that there's a design limitation about how repetitive it might feel to raise a new bro, partly because of how recruitment works. But anybody who just wants to walk around with 12 iron lungs clones and reload on every death can go fuck themselves with a wet copy of Oblivion.

I agree with all this, but it doesn't change the fact that getting bros killed is harshly penalizing due to the lengthy and/or expensive process of training replacements. If I recall correctly it takes around 30 battles to get a bro to that level 6 or 7 threshold you mentioned. Losing a few of those guys in short order may not technically be a game over, but I am not willing to endure the many hours of grind it takes to recover.

If that is what the devs were going for with the design, then fair enough... "git gud" is a valid response here. But if the game had faster progression, a flatter power curve, or some other adjustment to make character deaths a bit less punitive, then I'd be more apt to take risks and keep playing through adverse circumstances.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you guys not use reserves or what? If you have to train up a bro from scratch every time somebody kicks it you're doing something wrong.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Losing in this game is not fun, since what will happen is you'll just grind your way to get to the same position. Totally different from Dwarf Fortress or such, where taking losses often takes you to a totally novel gameplay situation. And restarting is not fast like in a roguelike either.
i got dogpilled on in this thread several times for pointing this out btw

just sayin

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
They need to add a feature to save generated terrain if you reload to the prefight autosave.

That would be such a hugely elegant way to resolve the only problem that reloading losses has.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Yeah man I really love having beggars and cripples with 70mattack and 110 naked fatigue at lvl 11.

Really useful units those are.

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah man I really love having beggars and cripples with 70mattack and 110 naked fatigue at lvl 11.

Really useful units those are.
11? More like 1 (and yes, it's a very subtle hint *wink, wink* to nudge you to read my post again. More carefully this time).

Johannes

Arcane
If the gameplay didn't support grinding in this way, taking losses would also be different. But now that the progression of the world is tied to the strength of your company, nothing is really a permanent setback - you have all the time you want to regain strength usually. If there was a strictly time-limited campaign in the game, and you'd have to struggle to reach the best ending you can or such, then it'd feel more like a test of skill to keep your dudes alive but also getting them strong as fast as possible.

Johannes

Arcane
IIRC the starting time of the crises depends on the progress of the company, not just time passed. Or do you mean something else? I also haven't played the latest dlc / latest versions

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom