Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

newtmonkey

Arcane
Fan translating games was bad enough before the diseases of social media and SJWism infected the Internet. Back then the worst you'd get is basement dwellers complaining that you omitted the honorifics from names or that you should have translated "Laura" as "Rora" etc. etc.

Now? Forget about it. These people need to realize that any translator good enough to translate video games well (and for free), is good enough to translate stuff that actually makes money. A translator who is translating games for free is doing it 1) because he loves games and 2) because he wants others to be able to play more games. They should learn to appreciate when people are doing them favors.

Of course, this has nothing to do with video games, or translation, or anything other than finding the next outrage to improve what has become a de facto social credit score.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Which is why I don't get the harcore 101 gaming guy, he does seem to care about games and still does shit like this

newtmonkey

Arcane
1) He can make money crowdfunding his books so wants to stay on the right side of the SJW police
2) He's a basement dwelling nerd that is desperate for the approval of the masses, like every SJW ally

Viata

Arcane
Tbh, if I was Tom, the only two options I'd have are:
1) Give up translation forever. I'm not being paid for that and yet people decide to go on a crusade against me because of a translated word? Holy fucking shit.
or
2) I'd keep translation because I like it but would avoid social media 100%.
The second option is the best one for everyone, but the first one seems the one I'd select the most given the actual situation.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Madou Monogatari A: Doki Doki Vacation
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5367/

5367screenshot2.png
5367screenshot4.png

2 of Tom's last translations, I actually waited for more than a decade for those (in the sense I was hoping someone would do them eventually)

Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Magginesu
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5353/

5353screenshot3.png
5353screenshot4.png

Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishi Juurokubee no Karakuri Manjigatame
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5354/

5354screenshot1.png
5354screenshot3.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
btw. there was a recently released translation patch for the Star Ocean Blue Sphere GBC game, that was then promptly removed

background below for why it was removed
https://gbatemp.net/threads/star-ocean-blue-sphere-english-translation-patch-release.556455/
https://www.reddit.com/r/starocean/comments/dou90c/blue_spheres_full_english_translation_has_been/

I've uploaded it for those who want it, but I haven't tried it so no idea whether it's bugfree or not
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kzqxaa3o74dg13z/sobs.zip/file

getter77

Augur
Sounds like an odd mess of a situation on Blue Sphere from the various comments---at minimum not ready for proper consumption until the dust settles, if ever in quite this form/group.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Which is why I don't get the harcore 101 gaming guy, he does seem to care about games and still does shit like this
I'm not surprised, especially after seeing the same account being used to spout political bullshit and then blocking people who asked 'you're a gaming website, how the fuck is this shit related to videogames in any way?'.

Although this Goemon 3 situation makes me wonder how much outrage the accurate translation of Illusion City would cause.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I'm not surprised, especially after seeing the same account being used to spout political bullshit and then blocking people who asked 'you're a gaming website, how the fuck is this shit related to videogames in any way?'.

Although this Goemon 3 situation makes me wonder how much outrage the accurate translation of Illusion City would cause.
Every time someone mentions illusion city i am reminded that we will never get a translation for that game.
:negative:
Well at least there is the Xak series translation.

Vorark

Erudite
wtf, Tom's gone? that's a huge blow to translation.
More info about the whole drama here: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/...continue-after-being-harassed-by-sjws/101871/

Goddamn SJWs. Also, Hardcore Gaming used to be cool. Now they're embarrassing and cringey.

Tom used to hang around the HG101 boards a couple of years ago, was a very chill guy and knowledgeable about obscure Japanese games. Granted, HG101 started to go downhill when the usual lbgtwtf+ topics and discussions started to sprout, somewhere around 2014. It's no coincidence most quality posters jumped ship around this timeframe.

To think years later the cretins would point their pitchforks at him... Hopefully he takes a break from the internet and returns "undercover" to work on translation projects.

flyingjohn

Arcane
wtf, Tom's gone? that's a huge blow to translation.
More info about the whole drama here: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/...continue-after-being-harassed-by-sjws/101871/

Goddamn SJWs. Also, Hardcore Gaming used to be cool. Now they're embarrassing and cringey.

Tom used to hang around the HG101 boards a couple of years ago, was a very chill guy and knowledgeable about obscure Japanese games. .

The perfect type of guy to get dog piled on by loonies and commies.

In the good old days devs were autistic madmen that used fax terrorism against the publisher for changing a small thing.
And modders were mostly pirates making nice cracktro music.

lightbane

Arcane
I'm looking through their JRPG series, and shamefully I might have been hyperbolic, because I can't find the one article that stood out to me as being especially egregious with the orientialism and disdain for pixels resembling nude girls. However, the issue with the series in general I can say for certain is that they don't approach any of this from the perspective of someone familiar with Japanese, which is what it would be worth if they had any interest in uncovering something meaningful rather than prodding at romdumps and game images through an emulator and calling it "uncovering a dark age".

That disdain is easy to explain: SJWs and feminists hate cute women and eroticism in general. As for the "uncovering a dark age", it may be tongue-in-cheek, I dunno.

That's gotta be the Tim Rogers guest articles.

I think that's so. You better not check said articles if you value your time and sanity.

Tbh, if I was Tom, the only two options I'd have are:
1) Give up translation forever. I'm not being paid for that and yet people decide to go on a crusade against me because of a translated word? Holy fucking shit.
or
2) I'd keep translation because I like it but would avoid social media 100%.
The second option is the best one for everyone, but the first one seems the one I'd select the most given the actual situation.

It's not that easy. The second one sounds easy. Ignore these loonies and they'll eventually get bored and forget about you, right? Sadly, nope. If you do that, then it's been proven they'll start targeting your personal life and/or loved ones. Worse, they can do that anyway even if you apologize.
Something must be done, even if it's wait it out until these loonies inevitably kill themselves.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Great, more legit awesome dudes who bring joy to many getting harassed by the scum of the earth.

Where's RPG Man and Codex Boy when you need them for some vigilante justice.

:terminate::happytrollboy:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Good news for everyone: the latest translation of Goemon 3 officially uses "newhalf" instead of "tranny", which is a big win for those of us who want accurate translations.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Good news for everyone: the latest translation of Goemon 3 officially uses "newhalf" instead of "tranny", which is a big win for those of us who want accurate translations.

a small win for trannies everywhere, and a big loss for everyone who was hoping for more translations by Tom

LJ40

Cipher
Moon: Remix RPG Adventure

Speaking of this, not sure if it's been mentioned in here but the fan translation for Moon has been effectively canceled with the announcement of an official translation coming to the Switch at some point. There was supposedly a buggy patched rom out there somewhere but I haven't seen it (I have a Switch so I didn't look too hard).

Only info I could really find for the official translation was that it was ~40% complete back in December.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom