Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escape From Tarkov

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And another great tip, always shoot hatchlings like the guy above on sight.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/01/08/escape-from-tarkov-wont-add-female-playable-characters/

No, Escape From Tarkov won't add female playable characters
Alice O'Connor
News Editor
8th January 2020 / 2:36PM

After a year-ish of steadily growing a fanbase, serious Russian scavenging sim-o-shooter Escape From Tarkov recently exploded in popularity thanks in part to promotion from some big Twitch streamers. The torrent of new interested people have come bearing wishes and questions, including wondering if the developers will add playable female characters. No, Battlestate Games say, they won’t. There’s your answer. It seems they don’t consider female player characters sufficiently worth investing resources in. Ah well. They did also offer the patently daft idea that ladies wouldn’t fit with the “lore” but mate come on.

Battlestate Games addressed the question of a female player character option on Monday after internauts seeking an answer found a dodgy one in an interview from 2016. Back then, Battlestate’s Pavel Dyatlov told Wccftech they had considered playable warlasses “but we came to the conclusion that women are not allowed to be in the war.” When the interviewer pushed back that women are in the military, Dyatlov gave the remarkable answer:

“I can agree with you and we discussed it for a very long time, but we came to the conclusion that women can’t handle that amount of stress. There’s only place for hardened men in this place.”

With that daftness circulating again and drawing ridicule, Battlestate addressed the interview on Monday in a tweet. “The answers were done by one, not a key BSG employee which probably were misinterpreted and as a result didn’t reflect the official position of the company, that we always respected women in wars and military women,” they said.

That is a weaselly response, trying to deflect with accusations of misinterpretation and claiming the problem was that they’d disrespected women in the military. Battlestate added that “the employee was reprimanded and properly instructed” and said they are “sorry for caused confusion.” They still don’t plan to add female characters, mind, and they’re not entirely done using daft fictional justification for their decision.

Battlestate followed-up with tweets saying while they have some female NPCs, “there will be no playable female characters because of game lore and more importantly – the huge amount of work needed with animations, gear fitting etc.”

So they don’t think it’s worth allocating any of their limited resources to this task, basically. It’s not a priority. I wish it were otherwise, but hey ho. I’m more forgiving of that when it’s a small studio rather than Ubisoft, who had nine studios and hundreds of people working on Assassin’s Creed Unity yet said they couldn’t add women. It’s still a shame, particularly with Tarkov drawing interest from a whole load of new people.

It’s also unfortunate that Battlestate muddied the waters by trying that “lore” nonsense again. As Samuel Johnson said, lore is the last refuge of the scoundrel. The game’s story is a paper-thin excuse for heavily-armed players to pick through ruins for loot, shoot and rob each other, then escape. It doesn’t matter. This is like Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds getting self-serious delusions that it’s a grim and gritty world built on cutting Cold War history rather than a big silly playground for idiots to lark about with stunts and banter. They could change the lore to allow women fighters with a click of their fingers.

Escape From Tarkov is still in closed beta, though they’re selling beta access as part of pre-ordering for €35. It’s basically early access under another name. When we sent our Matt into Tarkov in January 2019, he came out declaring it “brutal, stressful and exhausting” – but he felt no lasting purpose or draw. Still no firm word on when the finished game will launch.

BLEfIDU.gif

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/01/08/escape-from-tarkov-wont-add-female-playable-characters/

When we sent our Matt into Tarkov in January 2019, he came out declaring it “brutal, stressful and exhausting” – but he felt no lasting purpose or draw. Still no firm word on when the finished game will launch.

They just can't help themselves, they have to take a dig at the game itself as a parting shot in addition to the rest of their polemic. "Who'd want to play that poopy game for stinky doo-doo heads ANYWAY?" :lol:

Curratum

Anyone have any idea how long queue times are in Europe? I'm not waiting 5 minutes for a game where I will get offed in 2 minutes.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Depends on the map, mode & squad size. If you're planning on running solo you probably won't get any queues longer than 2 minutes.

Curratum

Depends on the map, mode & squad size. If you're planning on running solo you probably won't get any queues longer than 2 minutes.

Yeah, I have no friends playing this so solo for me. Good to know, thanks!

GreyViper

Prophet
And another great tip, always shoot hatchlings like the guy above on sight.
I think that rule applies to all players. :D But having played a bit I get why hatchlings can be annoying. Besides I have moved on to the economic AK start kit for my PMC. One thing I have to congratulate devs on are the sounds and detecting other players via it. Having good earphones pays off.
But yeah it's a great moment when you gon in with almost nothing, have a fight and then extract half dead with top tier equipment.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
strong new laptop
big new engine update that supposedly fixes all the performance issues

install today, play. Still runs like shit. Still has annoying dips and freezes. Welp fuck this game. I mean ffs, insurgency standstorm is widely regarded as unoptimized and i can run that on high detail anywhere from 70-110 fps depending on the intensity of the scene, and here I'm struggling to keep this above 45 fps with most shit turned off. The absolute worst thing about modern gaming is ridiculously unoptimized games that still look like shit.

Curratum

I'd press X to doubt that you're on a "strong new" laptop.

I'm on an i5 that's 8 years old now, and an RX 570 and the game runs with mostly 60 on medium-high.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

I'm on an i5 that's 8 years old now, and an RX 570 and the game runs with mostly 60 on medium-high.

I have a GTX 1660 ti, 16gb ram and an i7.

Curratum

That doesn't make sense, all my parts are inferior and I have good performance. Are you playing off an SSD or an HDD?

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

That doesn't make sense, all my parts are inferior and I have good performance. Are you playing off an SSD or an HDD?

SSD. and yes, that it doesnt make sense is the infuriating part.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
it appears my performance issues were mostly related to the AI in offline mode. I played an actual match and was getting 50-60fps at customs on ultra settings with excessive nonsense turned off (post process shit and reduced draw distance because lol when are the devs ever gonna let you see more than a kilometer with this shitty fog?). Still, im a bit pissed i cant get 60+ consistent on this hardware. The main thing that is annoying me now is the sharp momentary FPS drops, especially when aiming down sights (just with ironsights, not even a scope wtf!). Anyone know how to fix this shit?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is brutal. I even have problems with AI.

The thing is that if you have some bad runs and start getting out of money, coming back is very hard or boring because how much worse is your gear compared to the other players. And grinding for gear as a petty scavenger or unarmed is not fun after a while

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Great gunplay and customisation, shame we won't have a SP game with these foundations for the bad players.

Also not very fan of the maps. The first one "Customs" is very unforgiving for beginners being based on chokepoints were veteran players can camp and crush dreams, and you need to complete quests there .

Curratum

I will have to agree with Customs being very harsh on new players. Heck, even the AI snipers are placed in ridiculous locations and can keep killing you for a good while if you don't look at a pre-marked spoiler map.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I will have to agree with Customs being very harsh on new players. Heck, even the AI snipers are placed in ridiculous locations and can keep killing you for a good while if you don't look at a pre-marked spoiler map.

I Have being testing interchange also, and if you avoid the mall and some sniper spots is better for survivality, but not very fun.

Also pretty lame only having 2 real extracts. Last game as scav at night , I patiently get what I can, wait in the shadows until 40 seconds left to go to the railway extraction and get shot on the face by a shotgun camper in the exact spot.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

The thing is that if you have some bad runs and start getting out of money, coming back is very hard or boring because how much worse is your gear compared to the other players. And grinding for gear as a petty scavenger or unarmed is not fun after a while

Eh, once you learn what and especially where to loot, you can get money super quick. It's all part of the learning curve. Also, remember, ammo quality >>> everything else. Good bullets are the most important thing of your loadout. Once it's time to do some loot runs, just take a basic gun with no attachments, but load good ammo and as long as you get the drop on a geared player, you're gonna come out on top most of the time.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Eh, once you learn what and especially where to loot, you can get money super quick. It's all part of the learning curve. Also, remember, ammo quality >>> everything else. Good bullets are the most important thing of your loadout. Once it's time to do some loot runs, just take a basic gun with no attachments, but load good ammo and as long as you get the drop on a geared player, you're gonna come out on top most of the time.
Thanks. I guess I will do some offline runs with AI to get confident killing them.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
It definitely takes a while to get into the groove of the game. I've been playing since early 2018 and this patch is where it really clicked for me. I've done decent the last couple of patches, but this time I finished every quest, got the Kappa container, maxed out my hideout, basically drowned in cash and gear and my team mates often commented on how I really improved my game and often carried their asses. Honestly, the most important thing imo besides map & mechanics knowledge is confidence and aggression. I used to play with this mentality, that every other Tarkov player is a god, knowing the game inside out, etc, but A LOT of players get the shakes once they get into firefights and are unable to act effectively due to gear fear and whatnot. I've lost count how many people just sit in the same spot during fights, trying to hold an angle, taking their sweet time hiding in a corner, while I immediately fall back, circle around them, pick one off from a different angle, continue circling, get the next from a another angle, circle back and so on.

So basically tl;dr getting confident killing AI is definitely the right step. Once you get comfortable in neutralizing scavs, work on getting rid off gear fear (easier said than done, I know) and, I really can't stress this enough, ALWAYS stay on the move.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think it looks great.

The only reason I don't buy the game is that it's not on Steam and it will never come to Steam ... because the investor is probably the Russian mafia.

distant

Learned
Great gunplay and customisation, shame we won't have a SP game with these foundations for the bad players.

Also not very fan of the maps. The first one "Customs" is very unforgiving for beginners being based on chokepoints were veteran players can camp and crush dreams, and you need to complete quests there .

Yeah dude Customs is such a bait map. I've been having success playing through Shoreline along the coast (or sneaking through resort), working through Interchange (the room with the computers) or running Factory with minimal gear.

You can also play meta (reserve hatchling runs) but it breaks the feeling of progression (scraping together whatever you can to survive is fun).

This game manages to look both shady and brilliant at the same time. I just can't make up my mind whether to get it.

What's holding me back at the moment:
1. Hackers galore.
2. Not very well optimized, apparently.
3. Minimum system specs posted on their site == complete bollocks. No demo to run tests.
4. Netcode issues?
5. What toro said.
6. Forever in alpha/beta.
Having said that, it looks damned impressive. Especially when it comes to ballistics, survival and customization. To buy or not to buy. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom