Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Norfleet

I have a lot of fun with the duty officers, something enjoyable about finding the right missions and collecting good duty officers.
Well, protip: Get rid of anything that isn't purple or better. Just cut 'em up and feed them to the starbase, they are not worth the clicks it takes to even otherwise use them because they apply a -90% payout penalty compared to purple+.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Am I the only one who is mildly amazed by the "10 years infographic"?
According to that pic the accounts are divided as:
PC: 41%
Xbawx: 26%
Piss4: 33%

Assuming that those are only "active" accounts, there are probably only a handful of PC players and their 10000 mule accounts left. :hahano:

Norfleet

That's a ratio, and apparently it looks like the PC ratio has climbed, which suggests the console population is getting sick of being neglected and jumping ship.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The servers do suck on PS4. I dropped twice last night.

So I am downloading this thing now. I figure worse case scenario I can pretend it is a singleplayer game and LARP about. More to come in the days ahead.
I play almost entirely singleplayer, there's a ton of stuff to do.
It's refreshing to play an MMORPG that actually has depth to its mechanics considering how 'streamlined' they've became. tbh I have a lot of fun with the duty officers, something enjoyable about finding the right missions and collecting good duty officers.

Some tips:
Like most MMOs it has A/D bound to rotate your character(why?!) by default, rebind strafe left/right to A/D.
Lower bloom intensity(under advanced) to something like 25% so it doesn't burn your retinas.
Just… unbind shooter mode. Don't bother using it, unbind it because 'b' is a nice keybind for something useful. The ground mode you'll want to use is "RPG mode" AKA "not retarded mode"
There's a ton of options regarding controls for both modes(ground, space) that you'll have to play around with to get it to your liking.

I wish I could turn off bloom. Fucking PS4 man. I guess there is some kind of fucking filter on the original series too. It was cool for about twenty minutes now it is annoying.

Codex Year of the Donut

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I can't upgrade my PC when other things are more important right now. The game is pretty simplistic anyway so a controller is fine.

Codex Year of the Donut
FAqB64V.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I can't upgrade my PC when other things are more important right now.
You don't need to upgrade, I play on a potato.

The game is pretty simplistic anyway so a controller is fine.
It's simplistic in some ways, yet you have SO MANY CONTROLS. Trying to do ASSjobs on a controller would be TORTURE.

My potato is worse than yours. It does not meet minimum specs. It was a POS when I bought it, but
I had little choice at the time. Someone gave me a GPU to upgrade it and it won't even fit due to the tower size/motherboard. I'm waiting on my cousin to buy his new one, so I can get the one he built. Most games I want to play don't need much to run. That has changed recently though.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Get it before it's gone, 100 keys left
No keys left. Muh shipcards.
:negative:

My potato is worse than yours. It does not meet minimum specs. It was a POS when I bought it, but
I am a little amazed there are toasters that cannot run this game at all. I remember playing this on one that was barely able to run Twitcher 2. TWO.
It doesn't say "Pentium inside" by chance?

Monocause

Arcane

I am a little amazed there are toasters that cannot run this game at all. I remember playing this on one that was barely able to run Twitcher 2. TWO.

I seem to remember I've been playing STO on a 3 ghz single-core Pentium 4 years ago. So even these toasters used to be able to run the game.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

I seem to remember I've been playing STO on a 3 ghz single-core Pentium 4 years ago. So even these toasters used to be able to run the game.

It's the GPU that matters. Without a decent GPU you don't have the RAM to even play a game without it bogging down and crashing. Mine is one or two gens back before the minimum. When I bought this PC 10 years ago it already needed a GPU upgrade.

Radeon 6 series.

Norfleet

STO has very little GPU demand. Radeon 6 is FINE. Just dial down all the pointless graphics. I still run it on Radeon 2.

PO-TAY-TO.

Norfleet

Nothing. Sit on it and do nothing. Where are you even getting these? I hope you're not doing the upgrading process wrong. Actually, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong, but hopefully you're at least using the publicly accepted wrong.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nothing. Sit on it and do nothing. Where are you even getting these? I hope you're not doing the upgrading process wrong. Actually, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong, but hopefully you're at least using the publicly accepted wrong.
I don't have a lot of ships for admiralty so I spent a bit of dil on phoenix boxes to help my alts out with the rare token rewards :M

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I got an epic prize token, any advice as to what to spend it on?
Isn't the Bajoran interceptor an epic price? Definitely worth it for the console, especially if you plan on going phaser. The cold hearted trait from the whatsitsname breen boat isn't that great anymore apparently, so it's pretty much only the 'ceptor IIRC.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Reliant Advanced Light Cruiser
The spez Ford Pinto needs to be bumped up to fleet level to make it at least "good for what it is". You better not slack on your reputations!

Actually, if you are a good monkey and fill your reps to T6 you have earned yourself enough fleet modules for a good ship. Like the fleet Arbitrrr or Gagarin.
No trait or console on the fleet ones tho, but at least you would not be that much of a dead weight everywhere.

Unless you want to go full Norlfeet. Then you would not buy the fleet Arbiter without aquiring the real one first. And that one only in the 3 ship pack, because are not a dirty packbreaker. During a 40% off flash sale of course. :Norfleet:

Norfleet

Actually, there is no longer a penalty for breaking 3-packs and under, as the Mudd token 3pack allows the 3pack to be acquired piecemeal at the same cost as regular 3-pack. Don't break 9packs, though. Just keep grinding out the Anniversary-mobile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom