Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Whenever I think of decline in gaming, I’ll just think of this kid. Shit tastes, vocabulary composed of nothing but internet speak and meme buzzwords and an epic shill to boot whose idea of a rebuttal is to say shit like boomer, retard or I cant even...

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Whenever I think of decline in gaming, I’ll just think of this kid. Shit tastes, vocabulary composed of nothing but internet speak and meme buzzwords and an epic shill to boot whose idea of a rebuttal is to say shit like boomer, retard or I cant even...

Ok boomer

:troll:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wanted to see the klutz run through lava again, but Venturebeat had removed the video to save face. (Why did they upload it in the first place?) Thankfully someone saved and re-uploaded it:

abija

Prophet
Just wow... I thought they just published it to whore out views and then they take it out to confirm they didn't even realize how ridiculous it was.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Was going to joke about videogame journalists actually playing videogames outside of their office initially, but now I think this guy might actually just be a bit retarded. His spatial awareness and problem solving are so hilariously bad.
I thought the video had hit rock bottom after that Arachnotron fight, but my man Dean just kept the ball rolling, holy shit.

Ivan

Arcane
This has been addressed in the podcast:

I'm not guaranteeing that these problems will not arise at all, but the problems introduced by dash and meathook have been mentioned, so they're aware of this possibility, and Hugo Martin says they were forced to rebalance the game to account for Doomguy having these abilities now.

this was a super cool listen, thanks for sharing. Hugo's a cool dude :thumbsup:

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Dean should organize a Quake 3 duel with that Polygon guy and stream it. Should also have commentators pretending to be excited.

abija

Prophet
Yeah no. If the decision makers liked shooters glory kills would not be in the game, at least not the way they are implemented.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why is he so fat? I don't remember him being this large in the first one.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Yeah no. If the decision makers liked shooters glory kills would not be in the game, at least not the way they are implemented.

We've been having the Glory Kill discussion for over 4 years now. Think about that. And as always, I'd be more convinced by this argument if GKs had actually brought the Doom 2016 gameplay to a standstill or something.

As it stands, at best people absolutely love these on lower difficulties, because they blend well with the speed of the combat in Doom 2016, or at worst in higher difficulties they are to be used when strategically viable instead of all the time.

We've been at this for years and years, and the anti-GK argument has never changed. I gotta be honest and say that people speaking out against them mostly come across as having never actually played the game, and it's always the same arguments repeated over and over and over, before Doom 2016 came out and years after, and now Doom Eternal is coming out and this argument is still going on, and it is still mostly the same.

At this rate I'm thinking I'll be on my deathbed some day reading arguments against Glory Kills... and they'll be the same as they were in 2016, and 2020, and 2067. This never ends.

passerby

Arcane
GKs where enemies just stop attacking you are just as retarded, immersion and gameplay flow breaking, as cinematic takedowns in nu Deus Ex games.

I'd be fine with them, if enemies kept attacking you, so you would seek to isolate victims, or break the line of sight for a second to perform them and executed enemies didn't throw rainbow pinata, saving a bit of ammo and watching cool death anim should be enough of a reward.

Deakul

Augur
GKs where enemies just stop attacking you are just as retarded, immersion and gameplay flow breaking, as cinematic takedowns in nu Deus Ex games.

I'd be fine with them, if enemies kept attacking you, so you would seek to isolate victims, or break the line of sight for a second to perform them and executed enemies didn't throw rainbow pinata, saving a bit of ammo and watching cool death anim should be enough of a reward.
That runs completely counter to how they function in the game though, the timing needed would be really tight and lead to a mechanic that ultimately never gets used.

As it's currently implemented, there's really no reason not to use GKs unless it's extremely hairy.

sullynathan

Arcane

Yeah, that's worse, because if enemies kept attacking you, you'd have more of those parts of the game where their attack animation will happen when your gk animation ends. Plus it's first person and not person so it doesn't matter hat you don't see the others attacking you.

HansDampf

Arcane
I gotta be honest and say that people speaking out against them mostly come across as having never actually played the game
rating_shit.png

GKs in DOOM are like pineapple on pizza.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom