Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hey hey people, it's the SsethTzeentach thread

Cross

Arcane
the towns are forgettable uninspired mash-ups with no central theme, as opposed to previous games' memorable and thematically different.
It's the opposite. HoMM4's towns have a much more coherent and better developed theme than previous games in the series, since magic schools, skills, hero classess and artifacts are exclusive to specific towns. Creatures have much more distinctive abilities, including the ability to cast spells. So for example, Order in HoMM4 is the 'smart' town, with access to nobility, diplomacy, the treasury, their signature magic school being mental/mind-affecting spells and several creatures capable of spellcasting. You'd be hard-pressed to assign such a specific quality to any town in the previous games (e.g. mage units pre-HoMM4 are just ranged attackers). The towns in previous HoMM's are much more homogenous since everyone has access to the same skills (with the sole exception of necromancy) and spells (at most, a few spells might be banned from a specific town in HoMM3) and creatures have very few abilities worth mentioning, and what few abilities they have usually only have a 20% chance of triggering meaning they rarely come into play.

Last edited:
Being able to take Heroes into combat was one of the cool things about HoM&M4. Of the problems that game has, that has never been one of them. Hell, it's one of the reasons to play it.

Citizen

Being able to take Heroes into combat was one of the cool things about HoM&M4. Of the problems that game has, that has never been one of them. Hell, it's one of the reasons to play it.
It worked nice in MoM and AoW, but in a game where the average stack size linearly grows every week single units don't make sense.

Also this lead to giving regular units the ability to travel the strategic map on their own, which is stupid in a game where half of the resources on map just lie on a ground unprotected. Now the player doesn't need to optimize the movement path of multiple heroes to fight and collect stuff without losing unnecessary movement points and can just throw a bunch of fast 1-unit stacks at this problem

Archibald

Arcane
:retarded: Isn't that the reason why people are buying sequels? I want more of the same BUT better, not a completely different game in the same setting.

I think thats what expansions were for.

Any unit being able to move around freely on the adventure map was the biggest mistake of all imo, because now you spend every turn wasting your time with a ton of weak stacks trying to pick everything up and scout as cheaply and efficiently as possible. When this was limited to heroes there is a higher initial investment and there is an upper limit on how many heroes you can have running around.

This is one-sided take. HoMM4 removed lots of stupid movement on the map like collecting troops from dwellings every week with your secondary hero and if I'm not mistaken weekly resource collection was streamlined as well. Instead of that we could scout ahead with separate units, more active and interesting activity than just running around same circle with your hero every week.

Creatures having movement points also solved the problem of transporting troops from one side of the map to another in couple of turns (or even one turn) by transferring them from one hero to another. Granted, creatures could have had movement points without being able to move separately, but it is important to mention it as well.

Doesn't work in practice.

There was definitely an issue with the scaling, but I prefer HoMM4 version than what we got in HoMM5.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
H4 is such a remarkable case of historical revisionism in gaming. My headcanon explanation for this phenomenon is similar to what happened with Arcanum - younger people trying the game long after its release, when it was patched/modded/otherwise improved and received a semi-cult following and an opinion of a game you should like if you want to be seen as in the know.

It helps me to maintain my sanity, as I just cannot comprehend someone being a HoMM fan in 2002, shitting himself with anticipation, buying and installing H4 day1 and then going "yup, this is amazing, I'm going to shitpost about this game 18 years on in case someone thinks it kinda sucked".

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't really comment on HoMM IV, never played it more than 30 minutes.

Just can't do it. It's too ugly. THE UGLIEST game I've ever seen. Looking at it causes meantal and physical discomfort. I would rather look at Rex making out with Warpig than HOMM IV.

Last edited:

Citizen

Tried this last year. Enjoyable gameplay, but it's pretty much grind and grind of the samey missions, so I uninstalled after two hours. Bosses are fun tho

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadenuat

Arcane
amazing adventure game, it's really something else. that and Last Express are my favorite notadventuregamegames.

Beastro

Arcane
Tried this last year. Enjoyable gameplay, but it's pretty much grind and grind of the samey missions, so I uninstalled after two hours. Bosses are fun tho

Sounds like a similar problem Alien Swarm had where you just did the same thing over and over.

Murk

Arcane
I noticed a bunch of his videos in general are missing from youtube (like the T-series one).

Still on his site, and he had backed up a bunch to twitch too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom